• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin Evans Defends His PS5 Revision Video (Let's Talk About The New PS5)

Do You Agree With Austin's Opinions On The New PS5?

• Yes

Votes: 82 18.7%
  • No

Votes: 94 21.5%
  • Don't really care

Votes: 162 37.0%
  • Waiting for Digital Foundry, Gamers Nexus and others to decide

Votes: 100 22.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Armorian

Banned
Is a good guy

E-JcXXTXsA8Fvhz.png

No

nintendo-switch.gif

S0ULZB0URNE

I’ve come to the unscientific conclusion that you are a stan for Austin Evan. Nobody is arguing about the death threats (only you) , just about the fud he said in both videos. And yet you just keep spooning him.
Maybe they are the same person 🤔

Anyway I am happy Austin did the comparison and would rather have the launch model and it's overall superior cooling solution.

Papacheeks

Banned
Too bad no one can build these but promoted youtube stars and streamers because of part availability.

PC gaming not in a good place right now.

This guy didn't say a word lmao!

Microsoft pushing PC pretty damn hard.

They are pushing it hard because people are not signing up for it in the PC space. ANd also the library's are not 1:1, hopefully with the recent Acquisition that will change big time.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Too bad no one can build these but promoted youtube stars and streamers because of part availability.

PC gaming not in a good place right now.

Even despite the hardware shortages PC gaming is in the best place it's ever been.

Having this cuck being some kind of ambassador for PC gamers triggers me though. Should have got this guy:

3eb9bd3a73e9bc1642a7ca3ba40cc630c17ed636.gifv

But unfortunately no amount of money in the world would make him use his platform/following to shill and slander.

Papacheeks

Banned
Even despite the hardware shortages PC gaming is in the best place it's ever been.

Having this cuck being some kind of ambassador for PC gamers triggers me though. Should have got this guy:

But unfortunately no amount of money in the world would make him use his platform/following to shill and slander.

Love Henry. I want to share a pint with this dude. He's unlike any other star out there. He knows how good he looks, but he is humble as fuck and doesn't hide his nerd passions. Dude had a warhammer collection!

Anyone remember this guy?

Well...:

big-trouble-if-i-speak.gif

Well when we tried explaining to people that Evans was on MS payroll, no one listened and instead they called us crazy, fanboys etc.

It really doesn't take a rocket scientist to see this guy was shilling for MS from the get-go.

so he is paid
Of course he is.

This dude has been comfy in bed with MS for the longest time.

Last edited:
Love Henry. I want to share a pint with this dude. He's unlike any other star out there. He knows how good he looks, but he is humble as fuck and doesn't hide his nerd passions. Dude had a warhammer collection!
Henry is one cool motherfucker. I really wish he started his own gaming channel. Looks like such an easy bloke you can chill with in an online multiplayer session just talking shit.

But the education we received on house fires was priceless.
😂😂😂 yeah that bit was hilarious.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
They are pushing it hard because people are not signing up for it in the PC space.
Honestly - as it stands today, for 3rd party content GP really doesn't offer anything that isn't already catered for by alternatives (often better). The only real thing it has going for it is that it's aggressively cost-subsidized at the moment - at its 'real' price, I wouldn't even consider it.
The equation changes if you're interested in MS 1st party content of course, which running acquisitions are presumably going to fix the most.

That said - the user-experience is still, extraordinarily clunky/cumbersome. PC by default is already - significantly below the mainstream bar set by consoles to begin with, but MS store is at the bottom of the barrel (even Epic and UbiConnect are... slightly better experiences today) as far as usability/stability/general experience goes. And ironically it's actually in a worse state today than it was 5 years ago in some aspects (though some other things improved).

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

He said the console throttles. It's nearly the same bullshit.

In the video in the OP it states that the new solution is capable of the same performance as the original, so, no throttling or overheating there. He just calls out the new design as being cheaper, which it is, as with all console revisions. Nothing new in that, look at how cheap the PS3 super slim was made, 360 e too. The first run is when they are showing these systems off, every subsequent design change is about saving $$.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I don't know who Austin is, but this dude lives rent free in a lot of your heads.

I don't understand why people focus so much on things/people they do not like.

It reminds me off the weirdos on resetera that want to boycott games due to one person, but they follow everything that one person does still, despite being triggered by them.

Find something you enjoy, focus on that, you'll be a lot happier :)

In the video in the OP it states that the new solution is capable of the same performance as the original, so, no throttling or overheating there. He just calls out the new design as being cheaper, which it is, as with all console revisions. Nothing new in that, look at how cheap the PS3 super slim was made, 360 e too. The first run is when they are showing these systems off, every subsequent design change is about saving $$.
Stop lying. 4:16
To cause some difference In either your performance or in just the longevity of the console.

Both statements are clearly bullshit.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Stop lying. 4:16
To cause some difference In either your performance or in just the longevity of the console.

Both statements are clearly bullshit.

In this video from the OP?

I don't hear it. LOL He's talking about Sony likely realizing that they didn't need the cooling to be this beefed up, that the system could exist and stay in spec with less.

I don't know who Austin is, but this dude lives rent free in a lot of your heads.

I don't understand why people focus so much on things/people they do not like.

It reminds me off the weirdos on resetera that want to boycott games due to one person, but they follow everything that one person does still, despite being triggered by them.

Find something you enjoy, focus on that, you'll be a lot happier :)
It's just jealously that someone is a lot more successful than they would ever be. So they find reasons to hate and dislike.

tmlDan

In this video from the OP?

I don't hear it. LOL He's talking about Sony likely realizing that they didn't need the cooling to be this beefed up, that the system could exist and stay in spec with less.

He says it at 8 min, watch it again.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

I guess he is British and above this sort of stuff in comparison to virgin Youtuber.

DaGwaphics

He says it at 8 min, watch it again.

You guys are watching a different video from me. LOL

At 8min he notes that it has a smaller heat sink and thus could run hotter and might have less longevity, that's basically standardized thinking. That's generally the way it goes, the less copper on the heatsink the less performant it is. The new one works fine for the PS5, the old one could probably work on an even more powerful system, meaning it was a bit overbuilt to start with.

mckmas8808

Banned

At 8min he notes that it has a smaller heat sink and thus could run hotter and might have less longevity, that's basically standardized thinking. That's generally the way it goes, the less copper on the heatsink the less performant it is. The new one works fine for the PS5, the old one could probably work on an even more powerful system, meaning it was a bit overbuilt to start with.

But shouldn't he know those answers, instead of assuming?

Another "laws of physics" Evans'geliumnist? 🤡

Last edited:
I got my PS5 in Nov so I was expecting the newer model. For some weird reason I got the older one. Don’t have any issues with it but I do find it weird that it was still in the market back then.

DaGwaphics

But shouldn't he know those answers, instead of assuming?

How could someone possible answer to either of those things unless they can teleport into the future. As a general rule, hotter systems (mini PCs and laptops) typically do die a quicker death than a system with great cooling. Everything is so benign in the video posted in the OP that I'm surprised anyone got this riled up over it.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
How could someone possible answer to either of those things unless they can teleport into the future. As a general rule, hotter systems (mini PCs and laptops) typically due die a quicker death than a system with great cooling. Everything is so benign in the video posted in the OP that I'm surprised anyone got this riled up over it.

Then you should have waited to do the video. Or just not said that part in his video about the "possibilities". It's okay to not assume.

DaGwaphics

Then you should have waited to do the video. Or just not said that part in his video about the "possibilities". It's okay to not assume.

I don't know about the original vid that this is referencing, but in the explanation video posted in this thread it sounds like he was just listing possibilities associated with going with a smaller cooler.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its funny to me that Austin Evans and HDTVTest are like the same dude, paid shills, no honesty, no transparency, exposed numerous times for being on the take but one is hated and one is loved

MikeM

Anytime anyone talks down to my gaming hobby/addiction, I point to this guy. Guy is a fuckin legend.

Reallink

I'm not sure a conglomerate of movie studios sponsoring a video to tell people what their movies are supposed/intended to look like is the smoking gun you're hoping. Does the UHD alliance even charge a licensing fee for TV manufactures to include a Film Maker Mode, and since every TV mfg is part of the alliance, are they paying a licensing fee to themselves?

Last edited:
Honestly - as it stands today, for 3rd party content GP really doesn't offer anything that isn't already catered for by alternatives (often better). The only real thing it has going for it is that it's aggressively cost-subsidized at the moment - at its 'real' price, I wouldn't even consider it.
The equation changes if you're interested in MS 1st party content of course, which running acquisitions are presumably going to fix the most.

That said - the user-experience is still, extraordinarily clunky/cumbersome. PC by default is already - significantly below the mainstream bar set by consoles to begin with, but MS store is at the bottom of the barrel (even Epic and UbiConnect are... slightly better experiences today) as far as usability/stability/general experience goes. And ironically it's actually in a worse state today than it was 5 years ago in some aspects (though some other things improved).
GamePass isn't how I play videogames and I have no interest in it. Play old games and weebshit.

But objectively it's not bad. Just ride the wave until Microsoft shareholders patience runs out and they start raising the price Netflix style.
I give it 3 years.

Top Bottom