• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ava DuVernay's 'New Gods,' James Wan's 'The Trench' DC Movies Not Moving Forward at Warner Bros.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Warner Bros. and DC Films' upcoming slate is moving forward without Ava DuVernay's New Gods and James Wan's Aquaman spinoff, The Trench.

"As part of our DC slate, some legacy development titles including New Gods and The Trench will not be moving forward," Warner Bros. and DC said in a statement. "We thank our partners Ava DuVernay, Tom King, James Wan and Peter Safran for their time and collaboration during this process and look forward to our continued partnership with them on other DC stories. The projects will remain in their skillful hands if they were to move forward in the future."

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm so tired of WB.
"Hey let's announce 25 654 projects, just to cancel them later? That could be fun !"

unknown.png

Cancelling New Gods... But you can be sure DC Super Pets is coming with no problem
unknown.png

Without mentioning they could have a mid or even low budget horror film that would spinoff one of the coolest parts of Aquaman (which broken the Billion let's remember).
But no ! Let's do... PEACEMAKER ! YAY !

Last edited:

LordCBH

New Gods was going to be shit. I didn’t like thst choice to direct it back when it was made and I’m glad this one is at least getting canned. I would’ve definitely watched The Trench, but it’s hard to care about Aquaman and it’s spin offs when walking cunt cancer Amber Heard is involved in any way.

Shubh_C63

A horror superhero movie would have been so good. Nothing's really like this is out there. What a missed opportunity.

ManaByte

Gold Member
According to the article, New Gods was cancelled because of the Snyder Cut:
New Gods, which would have been a sprawling tale, was complicated by the fact that its villain, Darkseid, just appeared as a major foil in Zack Snyder's Justice League and there was a desire to have space between the latter and any new appearances.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I don't buy it. Darkseid was there for what ? 2 minutes ? The general audience wouldn't even be aware that those were the same character. Also their is two live action Batman right now and WB doesn't seem to be worried about the confusion.
I call this bullshit from WB.

sol_bad

New Gods was going to be shit. I didn’t like thst choice to direct it back when it was made and I’m glad this one is at least getting canned. I would’ve definitely watched The Trench, but it’s hard to care about Aquaman and it’s spin offs when walking cunt cancer Amber Heard is involved in any way.

I'd be more than happy to watch 2 hours of Amber Heard in that green outfit.
*drooool*

LordCBH

Warner Bros is such a mess. Duvernay probably wasn't the best choice, but I fault the studio more than the talent at this point.

I think Ann Sarnoff needs to be fired, quite frankly.

Sadly her being fired won’t mean much because she’s just surrounded by yes men who buy into it. If AT&T weren’t dumb, they’d hold a much tighter leash on what they own and tell them exactly what they want and let them know they can either do it or be replaced by people who will. Though I doubt AT&T really cares that much.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Official concept art of Green Lantern John Stewart for ZSJL:
Ex-cjmUWEAQu4_H

Of course WB refused because of... a series coming in 2022 (?)

Ex-qK0dVgAgyQ-h

James Gunn think "there a chance" to see the AyerCut after the release of The Suicide Squad:

unknown.png

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
With WB, it is what it is. Don't count on them for anything, but don't ever count them out.
The way I see it, they can stumble all they want, as long as they churn out a "Dark Knight", "Joker", or hell, even "Man of Steel" every 4-5 years.
I think with their upcoming slate, at least a couple of the movies will be really good and a couple will likely be terrible. I'm okay with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Of course WB refused because of... a series coming in 2022 (?)

No it's because of the Green Lantern Corps movie that's still coming in 2023. It's in the article in the OP.

That's the movie Tom Cruise passed on. They offered him Hal Jordan, but he passed on it because in the original script Hal died. The movie is about an older Hal training the new recruit John Stewart. When Cruise passed they went into a re-write to keep Hal alive in it. The THR article above talks about how GLC, Blue Beetle, and Batgirl on HBO Max are the 2023 movies so far.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

The same snydercut that we are being told obscessantly doesn't matter, and it's being discontinued, and everyone might as well pretend doesn't exist because "Oh look Micheal Keaton is back."

Ridiculous. They are going to use Snyder as a scapegoat for every decision they make moving forward.

"Oh it isn't that we don't know what the fuck we are doing. It's that dastardly Snydercut that forced us to make bad films and announce, and then cancel a bunch of projects."

Mahadev

I wouldn't call it terrible imo. But wasted potential? Sure.

It was the most uneventful borefest I've watched in a while, I'd rather watch bad movies that are a little interesting than movies like this. It reminded me of these articles that are written by AI that have all this useless info that just fills the page.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The same snydercut that we are being told obscessantly doesn't matter, and it's being discontinued, and everyone might as well pretend doesn't exist because "Oh look Micheal Keaton is back."

Ridiculous. They are going to use Snyder as a scapegoat for every decision they make moving forward.

"Oh it isn't that we don't know what the fuck we are doing. It's that dastardly Snydercut that forced us to make bad films and announce, and then cancel a bunch of projects."

That bit sounded very odd if coming from an official WB source. I agree that it's BS reasoning. It's hard to believe they'd have the gall to say that, so I have to wonder if that is bad info, despite HollywoodReporter being fairly reliable.

If it is true, I can actually see why they are using him as a scapegoat, to an extent. Sounds like he disregarded their wishes and filmed new scenes when they asked him not to, according to Zack himself. I mean, we don't know the details of the negotiation, so maybe he felt that he was justified in shooting new footage despite them funding the project and telling him not to, but either way, sounds like a pretty sour working relationship.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Why the fuck did they announce so much shit just to cancel it?

Too many hands in the pot. Unlike Marvel where that's ONE person running point and laying out the roadmap for the entire cinematic universe, DC has no such person. They've had a multitude of personnel changes in the executive rank, and most of those executives know little to nothing about the DC characters and source material.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
No it's because of the Green Lantern Corps movie that's still coming in 2023. It's in the article in the OP.

That's the movie Tom Cruise passed on. They offered him Hal Jordan, but he passed on it because in the original script Hal died. The movie is about an older Hal training the new recruit John Stewart. When Cruise passed they went into a re-write to keep Hal alive in it. The THR article above talks about how GLC, Blue Beetle, and Batgirl on HBO Max are the 2023 movies so far.
Indeed, I confuse with the Green Lantern series. The state of the DCEU is such a mess :(
Tom Cruise in a buddy movie about two Lantern would have been amazing, too bad it didn't happen.

Top Bottom