• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche Studios next title is a Roguelike game called “Ravenbound”

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
The game is currently named Jackdaw, but it's understood that this is the codename of the project, with the final game being titled Ravenbound: Tales of Avalt

Avalanche-studiousjpg.jpg

• The game is currently named Jackdaw, but it’s understood that this is the codename of the project, with the final game being titled Ravenbound: Tales of Avalt.
  • Ravenbound puts the player in the medieval-esque fictional world of Avalt as a “Vessel of the Raven”, where the player must free the world from enemies who have invaded the lands.
  • The player can transform into a raven to view the world from the perspective of a bird, which appears to be almost identical to Senu from Assassin’s Creed. As a raven, you can spot enemies down below to gauge their numbers and difficulty
  • If the player dies, the player must begin a new game and select one of three “Vessels” to start again. Each vessel has different abilities and weapons that are tied to them, which are indicated by three trait cards’ culture trait card, weapon train card, and unique trait card.
  • New cards for each train can be bought and upgraded by using coins from looted crates in enemy settlements. Leveling up in the game will also grant the player a new card to add to their vessel to make them stronger.
  • Sources have indicated that the game will have some form of season content structure where new quests, enemies, and rewards will come to the game each month. This does suggest that Ravenbound is very much a live service.
When asked more about the game, Shaun Weber said “I would describe the game as kinda like Dead cells but open-world”.
It’s unclear when Ravenbound: Tales of Avalt will be revealed, but Weber had indicated that the game seems to be in a good state of development. So presumably, we could see the game in the very near future.
In June 2021, Avalanche Studios announced that it was working on a new open-world co-op game coming to Xbox Game Pass. Details on the game are slim, with the studio only providing small snippets of information via a short teaser trailer during last year’s Xbox & Bethesda showcase.

unknown.png

In a follow-up tweet after the announcement, Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg said that the game is set in the 1970s in a fictional country called Bayan. Last week, Microsoft also filed new trademarks for Contraband.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
So not Mad Max 2 or Rage 3 or hell, how about putting all resources into Generation One maybe? No, lets make one of those fantasy rogulikes with cards everyone in the basement is making. Avalanche can always make fun open worlds, if you ignore the horrid, ass writing team, but that shit squad must also be making the business decisions.

Boss Mog

Just Cause 5 is also in development so the studio has a lot on its plate right now (obviously split across various sub-studios and teams), hopefully all the games will turn out great.

Little Mac

Gold Member
"If the player dies, the player must begin a new game and select one of three “Vessels” to start again. Each vessel has different abilities and weapons that are tied to them, which are indicated by three trait cards’ culture trait card, weapon train card, and unique trait card."

Sounds like Rogue Legacy. Regardless. Love me some Roguelikes.

Ristifer

Really wish devs would can these generic subtitles. Just call it Ravenbound. Tales of Avalt sounds like a mobile title.

Either way, I'd much rather have Mad Max 2. But they're a talented studio, so I'm sure it'll be worth checking out.

Jennings

Really wish devs would can these generic subtitles. Just call it Ravenbound. Tales of Avalt sounds like a mobile title.

Either way, I'd much rather have Mad Max 2. But they're a talented studio, so I'm sure it'll be worth checking out.
I do wish they'd at least put the title up to a vote. Surely the internet could come up with something better.

Roguey McRogueface

VN1X

Banned
Wait this is made by "Systemic Reaction" who have, apparently, also done Generation Zero (that co-op survival game set in post-apocalyptic Sweden). Have they undergone a name change then? Is it a different studio within Avalanche?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Cool concept...but damn....I just can't wait for this whole Rougelike thing to subside.

Same with the "souls-like" games. Hate seeing what looks like amazing action games but then we get the "souls-like" game tag announcement and I automatically
tune out. I don't play games to be frustrated or break controllers. I play to have fun. Of course, these are MY likes/dislikes, your mileage my vary.

EDMIX

Wow PC exclusive? If so, that’s not something you see every day!

Well...sorta.

I think its simply releasing first on PC, console ported later or something. You tend to see that a bit and its likely they will use the sales to fund some port on PS and XB as you already see them labeling certain things in game with button inputs.

So its sounds like its just a cost issue. I'd be surprised if they didn't port to console as they'd have a lot of money left on the table.

I only recently started playing Roguelikes in the last gen with GamePass. Some of them are really good and some are punishingly bad.
I'd of course be willing to try it if it's on GP.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool concept...but damn....I just can't wait for this whole Rougelike thing to subside.
Yep, I have no interest in Roguelikes.

This sounds to me like a roguelite, which is a pretty big difference. If it's even that, could also be more like Deathloop, which is neither (even though you regularly "start over"). I don't think many developers would dare to make an actual high budget roguelike.

But if you don't like it you don't like like it.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I hate how there's two Avalanche Studios in the business.

Anyway, open world rogue-lite is kind of intriguing, and the gameplay looks neat. Also some nice music in that video, reminds me of AC Valhalla.

Seems weirdly restrictive to let the raven mechanic sit behind some arbitrary portal you have to run to. Why not just switch to raven mode when you're outside of combat?

Raven117

Gold Member
Yep, I have no interest in Roguelikes.
And I’ve tried…. Many.., and, nah
This sounds to me like a roguelite, which is a pretty big difference. If it's even that, could also be more like Deathloop, which is neither (even though you regularly "start over"). I don't think many developers would dare to make an actual high budget roguelike.

But if you don't like it you don't like like it.
I can’t stand starting over. But I’m glad some folks enjoy it!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

We played a small slice of Ravenbound’s massive hub worlds, but it’s already unlike anything we’ve seen before and could end up being a refreshing new take on an addictive formula we already know and love. Previewed by Travis Northup.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Fear everything and nothing for death brings you closer to victory in this challenging open world action-roguelite. As the Vessel of an ancient power you must use steel and skill to complete your mission in a dangerous but beautiful fantasy world.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
And I’ve tried…. Many.., and, nah

I can’t stand starting over. But I’m glad some folks enjoy it!
I have never played/enjoyed roguelikes games either. Hades and Returnal, however, changed it for me a little bit. Both 10/10 experiences.

Although I still don't actively seek out roguelike games now, but I'm now open to the idea and genre, and I cautiously look forward to upcoming games in this niche.

Hohenheim

This looks pretty much like Elden Ring, which is very promising.
When rougelikes really click, they're some of the best kind of games for me. (Binding of Isaac and Returnal is pure gold, Hades is also cool).
Nice to see Avalanche trying something really ambitious within this kind of genre.
Please, have amazing and engaging combat...!

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Everything looks good, but roguelikes live and die by their gameplay, and that looks a bit wonky and generic. The IGN preview didn't show many combos or abilities, and it could get boring in this form.

I hope they significantly improve combat and make it more dynamic. Texture quality also needs to be improved significantly. Other than that, I'm interested.

This looks pretty much like Elden Ring, which is very promising.
When rougelikes really click, they're some of the best kind of games for me. (Binding of Isaac and Returnal is pure gold, Hades is also cool).
Nice to see Avalanche trying something really ambitious within this kind of genre.
Please, have amazing and engaging combat...!

I didn't even know what the genre was until Issac: Rebirth showed up as a ps+ freebie. I downloaded it to try it out and was not impressed, but for some reason, I continued to play.
Then the hooks sank in, and billions of hours later I still boot it up every day to do the daily run.
Gungeon, Hades, Dead Cells, Returnal, I love em all. I dunno if I'd say it is my favorite genre, but it is easily my most played.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This Ravenbound Trailer was revealed at the Golden Joystick Awards 2022

Fear everything and nothing for death brings you closer to victory in this challenging open world action-roguelite. As the Vessel of an ancient power you must use steel and skill to complete your mission in a dangerous fantasy world inspired by Scandinavian folklore.

Top Bottom