• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche Studios to unveil new game in 2022

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
mad max GIF

GHG

Gold Member
Wait, Rushy left Codemasters for Avalanche already?

Wonder how many other people left when EA raided them.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Wait, Rushy left Codemasters for Avalanche already?

Wonder how many other people left when EA raided them.
He left after onRush if I am not mistake, so it's quite a long time ago. But good for him, he can do good stuff.

Reactions: GHG

isoRhythm

Banned
Next Just Cause needs to happened, tho. Or at least FPS boost for JC4.
An FPS boost would be most welcome but the games have progressively gotten worse. I platinumed JC2, finished JC3 & DLC but couldn't be bothered after that, played JC4 for an hour and then never touched it. They need something new for now and maybe a reboot for JC sometime in the future.

Kuranghi

An FPS boost would be most welcome but the games have progressively gotten worse. I platinumed JC2, finished JC3 & DLC but couldn't be bothered after that, played JC4 for an hour and then never touched it. They need something new for now and maybe a reboot for JC sometime in the future.

JC3 is one of my fav games of all time, loved it. Just Cause 4 is a step down from Just Cause 3 in many ways but I had fun once I stopped trying to play it like 3. Also JC4 looks like a crawling mass of pixels even at 1440p so I went with 4K30 instead, I think thats a big reason why people thought it looked so awful.

The amount of detail resolved at 4K is like 10x what you see at 1080p, I think the renderer only renders models that take a certain amount of space in any one pixel so a lot of detail is lost at "lower" resolutions.

M1chl

Yeah my experience also, but I played the JC4 after getting XSX and those 30 FPS just make it play like shit.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeah my experience also, but I played the JC4 after getting XSX and those 30 FPS just make it play like shit.

I just think overall its a much worse game than JC3.

I tried it again a couple of months ago at a custom resolution between 1440p and 4k (can't remember the exact resolution now) and even at 60fps it's just not a very good game overall.

I think they tried to add to many different types of grapple mechanics etc and it resulted in a game where the fun chaotic simplicity of the previous 2 games was gone.

M1chl

I tried it again a couple of months ago at a custom resolution between 1440p and 4k (can't remember the exact resolution now) and even at 60fps it's just not a very good game overall.

I think they tried to add to many different types of grapple mechanics etc and it resulted in a game where the fun chaotic simplicity of the previous 2 games was gone.
I liked new gadgets in the JC3 a lot of dumb stuff could be done and I somewhat hoped that it would translate in even more fun in JC4. I hope for the boost, otherwise I am not playing that.

Reactions: GHG

Kuranghi

Trying to be positive: One thing I love in JC4 is blowing up those stacks of white fuel tanks in the bases (even friendly ones after you've taken them over and no penalty for doing so lol), it looks so crazy with them all flying everywhere.

Bonus Just Cause 3 sort of easter egg: Theres a big beached/half sunken ship in one of the big cliff lined bays on the north (I think there is a base near it you assault in a story mission so should be able to fast travel to it) and it has lifeboats on the sides of it, they are in sort of "cans" and you shoot/wang them and then the life boat within auto-inflates when it touches ground/water. You can run around into the edges of them and it makes them move around, like you're the engine but on the front instead of back, its pretty funny. Was fun to play around with them for a 15 mins or so.

I'm thinking of replaying JC3 soon but I'm reluctant because I need a new GPU and CPU to get 60fps locked at 4K. So its 1440p(99%)60 or 4K30 and its a crust festival even at 4K. The TAA sucks big dong too.

isoRhythm

Banned
what, why?...

JC is one of the best sandbox games left in this dying genre.

Next-gen JC is desperately needed.
So just for some perspective, in terms of overall rating its JC2 > JC3 > JC4, the series has been getting progressively worse. Why waste the time of such talented developers on creating mediocre games?

Utherellus

So just for some perspective, in terms of overall rating its JC2 > JC3 > JC4, the series has been getting progressively worse. Why waste the time of such talented developers on creating mediocre games?
agree on rating.

but still, JC was never about narrative or character development.

It's about having crazy fun.
And next-gen hardware can deliver impressive fifth installment with physics and interactivity not limited by Jaguar cores.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
While we're talking about avalanche, it's a damn shame that JC4 never received any kind of NEXT GEN BC patch or even an FPS boost patch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This studio is begging for a parent company with bigger pockets. Their games seem to get decent reviews but nothing special. And Generation Zero was a total dud.

They need either bigger budgets to do what they have on paper (big scopes games), or cut back on scope and have more polished games.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I replayed mad max and rage 2 back to back, bring it on.

I would love a mad max sequel.
Please not another just cause please, played jc3 for like 3 hours before bailing out.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I rember reading a whole article in Edge about some fantasy action rpg they were working on. Aion Crush or something? The descriptions of fighting huge creatures were pretty vivid.

That's way back when, I suppose it got cancelled.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

An open call to fill a vacant Gameplay Animator role with Systemic Reaction, a creative division within Avalanche Studios—which technically rebranded as Avalanche Studios Group in 2020—the website lays out the duties and responsibilities of the position. It’s mostly standard fare, though keen readers can parse some information concerning the studio’s mysterious upcoming project. Among the list of required skills for the position is a bullet point denoting experience animating weapon-wielding human characters in first and third person as well as “scary robotic characters.”

Top Bottom