• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers in Galactic Storm; pure Marvel fighting game jankiness in the best way...and other WEIRD fighting games

VGEsoterica

Of course we all know Capcom's Marvel fighting games...they are iconic in the fighting game scene and they are all pretty classic games in their own right. But that doesn't mean Capcom had an exclusive license to make them...and Data East took a swing at an Avengers 2D vs fighting game...with interesting results.

Is it good? Well...define good I guess? It's certainly "an experience" and it has some interesting mechanics and gameplay ideas...but its also pretty damn janky and weird at the same time. Which may be where a lot of its charm comes from. It just feels like playing with action figures as a kid...except its on an arcade cabinet vs an actual toy. It has some ridiculous pre-rendered CG artwork and may have the cheapest and most predictive AI ever to grace a fighting game. It basically wants to mug you in a dark alley for all your quarters.

But its an interesting stop over in the world of Marvel fighting games from a time when it wasn't just the domain of Capcom. Plus its just straight up weird in spots and def is an experience everyone should have at least once!

But GAF...what other weirdo, kinda janky fighting games do you love? I am walking Way of the Warrior, Battle Heat on PC-FX and the other games that really TRIED...but didn't just quite "get it". Hell maybe even SvC Chaos could be on that list!

VGEsoterica

IYHff8Y.jpg

also....this lolol

The Stig

that one PS1 game where you pressed down 3 times and it would change your character in some way. like one guy would get much bigger and another had a lightsaber thing and it would get longer......

wtf was that game?

VGEsoterica

that one PS1 game where you pressed down 3 times and it would change your character in some way. like one guy would get much bigger and another had a lightsaber thing and it would get longer......

wtf was that game?
Lolol this is very “you know. That movie…with the guy that was in that thing? You know what I mean”! and I love it for that

slade

wtf was that game?

Star Gladiator?

Top Bottom