• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

awesome shareware title: a mix between smash tv, gauntlet, doom and much more

shuri

Banned
ALIEN SHOOTER
http://www.bigfishgames.com/downloads/alien/

I saw this random looking shareware title while browsing for something to play when i'm bored, and I discovered this AWESOME mix of so many old school classic games in one, perfectly executed package

The game is called Alien Shooter. There's no story at all except for a small thing in the readme file about you being sent into this 10 level underground lab to discover wtf is going on after receiving help signals.

Whatever, I want to shoot stuff!

You start every level by gearing up. You buy shields, weapons, lives, using money you receive from killing aliens. You have a selection of 9 weapons randing from the shotgun and revolvers to the plasma gatling gun.

The first two levels are rather quiet.. You are mostly alone in the lab, fighting random low grade alien dogs thing. Then things get hard

Really hard.

You start fighting hordes of aliens. Think Gigaforce-insane hord of aliens. Hundreds of them at the time in the same screen. Blood, shell cases, bodies exploding everything. Pure fucking insanity. You shoot, blow things (and aliens) up, run out of ammo, run for your life, try to find more ammo or weapons, shields, and so on, for 10 levels

You have to blow up the aliens teleporters in certain levels to prevent aliens from teleporting. The first aliens to teleport will be the easy low level kinds. Then it gets harder. You have those alien warriors, and then alien warriosr with armors, and then with plasma guns, then those giant dinosaurs type alien, and it just goes from them

The game is a frigging blast. It's elite when you start running from lab rooms to lab rooms with the gatling gun and you just clean up the place. The amount of activity on screen is great. Hundreds of sprites on screen, with a perfect smooth scrolling, no slowdowns, nothing.

This game is frigging perfect. I want a gba port of this game. It would be easily done. I want a xbox port of this game. NOW!

There's an addon pack out, that adds for level. But if you get bored from playing the 10 missions, you have the SURVIVAL MODE!

Indeed, you just fight hordes and hordes of aliens coming at you from everyside at once, you find random weapons hidden in the level (or spawning from big boss you kills) and you just kill until you're game over and received a score based on that. My whole screen was filled with blood, shells and body parts when i got killed. God that rocked. I was trying to dodge and create crossfires between the aliens with guns, it worked for a while until i got cornered and eventually killed.

You can select from two character, you have the typical tough guy that can take more damage, aims well but is rather slow or you have the fast chick with more ammo.

Seriously. Download the demo, and buy the full thing. It's a bit expensive (20$US), but i think it's worth it. The demo is time limited and only feature the survival mode and one level with a bunch of weapons.

In retropect:

The good stuff:
+ non stop action
+ polished experience for a indie release
+ pick up and play. More games should be like this
+ No real faults

The bad stuff:
- Some sound effects are a bit budget. The shotgun sounds too deep, and the alien dog screams gets annoying after killing 150 of them in a row
- 10 levels is kinda short, but the survival mode last forever
- crappy presentation. it's like 3 screens with a fade effect. Oh well

and now for some screenshots:

titlescreen.jpg

title screen

calme.jpg

It's oh.. so quiet

flashlight.jpg

cool flashlight effect

lara.jpg

"and thats for suggesting that i'm a poor lara croft clone!"

smoke.jpg

Slowly retreating back to safety while gunning down ennemies. Notice the cool smoke effect coming out from my gun, and the aliens just blowing up at the barrage of lead from my gun.

flame.jpg

cooking some aliens up. Notice how i'm totally cutting thru their lines with the flame thrower, hehe

station.jpg

Using a gunstation on them. Notice the flying body parts and in the same ammount of stuff on the floor.

I actually had a shitload more of cool screenshots, but I lost them while cleaning up my hd. Seeing the game in action is much better, just download the demo, it's like 7mb.

This is the first shareware I bought in a long time, and I feel it's totally worth it.I just love the oldschool feel of the game. It's like an arcade version of Crusader no remorse

shuri

Banned
Indeed, i think the game might be a bit old but its still pretty interesting. Oh well, glad at least someone tried it!

Top Bottom