• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Axios] Former PlayStation worker sues gaming giant, alleges gender discrimination

Kacho

Gold Member
sounds like a he said she said, she won't win this but if this is true i hope she has the evidence to prove it rather than being opportunistic in the moment because of recent news.

i don't think "they responded to men more than me" and "they fired me because i complained" is sufficient enough to win anything lol
That's exactly what this is and she's obviously very disgruntled which makes it difficult to give her the benefit of the doubt. Hard to take anyone at face value with a chip on their shoulder.

Like her claim about the manager ONLY responding to men and not women, how on earth could she possibly know that without having access to his email account? My assumption here is this person was a royal pain in the ass to deal with in the work place.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The accusation says she's basically being pounded upon by a male dominated culture too.

Well who would had guess IT has more guys in it!?!?!?

DeepSpace5D

“Majo alleges that she was ignored by a manager who only responded to men”

Oh give me a break
I’m just picturing her going to her manager’s office and asking him a question while he stares straight ahead at the wall and doesn’t blink.

Even if a company had a policy to hire for the exact same wage for the exact same job and experience, people would have different pay anyway.

Any big company that pays salary based on the usual 2% bump up, also adds in performance based salary bumps. If you do decent, you'll get the 2%. If you are a star performer, you 2% + xxx% salary increase. If you suck, you go on probation and get 0% increase.

What people who demand "I want the same wage as everyone else at same-ish job" are begging for is set pay with zero performance influence. It'd be like a union worker getting paid on agreed upon tiers of seniority than quality of work.

So for the IT person, whether she does good or bad she wants a predictable same as everyone else salary. lol
Oh for sure, I agree salary should be adjusted based on skill and performance.

Sony has alot of employees, I’d imagine there are both males and females there that excel at their position and receive greater salary increases because of their performance.

I was just thinking that the average could still get a rough estimate that would show whether there is a real skew towards male employees or not.

Perhaps it would only be accurate enough at the entry-level, but gets more murky with increased length of employment due to the variation in annual salary increases you mentioned.

People forget that negotiating for your pay is a thing. Women (in general) are less likely to negotiate as hard as men.

These clowns like to act like every person with the same job title has the same exact time and experience at the job, and negotiated the exact same way. There are too many variables at play in the hiring process to think everyone with similar roles will get paid exactly the same

I kinda chuckled at Sony firing her based on the dissolution of a department she wasn’t even apart of. That sounds like some dumbass shit an HR person would come up with to quickly remove a “troubled employee”

If true though I hope she wins and Sony makes some positive changes so women feel more included.

kingsley shut up GIF

Kacho

Gold Member
I kinda chuckled at Sony firing her based on the dissolution of a department she wasn’t even apart of. That sounds like some dumbass shit an HR person would come up with to quickly remove a “troubled employee”
Wow that’s legit. They really wanted to get rid of her.

SegaShack

I've seen this in numerous IT jobs sadly. I'm a man though, but some places are like this, they won't even listen to women during meetings.

Anyone bootlicking a company for a situation they don't know because it's a game company they enjoy are worthless pieces of shit.

None of us know the story, maybe its BS, maybe not, but I've seen this happen firsthand and it's awful.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Well, that's just shitty. Discriminatory employment practices is very prevalent in many workplaces. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be a conscious effort.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Because it's bullcrap. 99% of these cases have to do with a poor employee who's impossible to get along with to boot, so they end up retaliating like this when they leave.
Yup.

Last big uproar at my company way back was someone on the firing line. She pulled the sexual harassment claim at the last minute. Then a slew of internal people got involved and interviewed. A couple months later it was resolved, she lied, dude kept his job.

And she finally was fired for good.

She was an idiot too. She was hired as a low level analyst. It was a newly created job added to a department to do some junior analysis, help with templates, powerpoints and stuff like that. She couldnt even do this shit properly. Hiring boss took a risk being a good person and hiring a young noob to give them a chance at a career. Backfired big time.

Fbh

"Sony discriminates against female employees, including those who are female and those who identify as female"

Oh boy she screwed up here. Sounds like she is saying trans women aren't women.
I don't know if the twitter crowd and woke gaming journalists will pressure Sony into acknowledging her claims now that we know she is a biggoted TERF

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
Thus why I tell everyone to have union jobs where your pay can't be fucked over
Unfortunately, lots of employers have persuaded a lot of the general workforce to believe the Unions are bad, never mind that a lot of the benefits people have today are thanks to people fighting for union rights in the past. Yes, there are some unions that are bad but that's a discussion for another thread.

Saucy Papi

Yup.

Last big uproar at my company way back was someone on the firing line. She pulled the sexual harassment claim at the last minute. Then a slew of internal people got involved and interviewed. A couple months later it was resolved, she lied, dude kept his job.

And she finally was fired for good.

She was an idiot too. She was hired as a low level analyst. It was a newly created job added to a department to do some junior analysis, help with templates, powerpoints and stuff like that. She couldnt even do this shit properly. Hiring boss took a risk being a good person and hiring a young noob to give them a chance at a career. Backfired big time.
It's the exact same issue at my company. All the poor employees are the ones that complain the most and yet do the least. We actually try to make their life miserable so we end up running them off as opposed to firing them so they don't have an incentive to sue.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've seen this in numerous IT jobs sadly. I'm a man though, but some places are like this, they won't even listen to women during meetings.

Anyone bootlicking a company for a situation they don't know because it's a game company they enjoy are worthless pieces of shit.

None of us know the story, maybe its BS, maybe not, but I've seen this happen firsthand and it's awful.
That can go for anyone.

I'm a guy and sit in on lots of meetings too. My ideas dont get listened to all the time either.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Because it's bullcrap. 99% of these cases have to do with a poor employee who's impossible to get along with to boot, so they end up retaliating like this when they leave.
Yep.
  • Majo notes in her suit that Sony says she was terminated because of the closure of an internal department, though she says she wasn’t in that department.
They were desperate to get rid of this person.

SegaShack

That can go for anyone.

I'm a guy and sit in on lots of meetings too. My ideas dont get listened to all the time either.
Sure, I'm saying I've witnessed management that literally would not ever listen to women, and would only listen when a man repeated the same thing.

Glad I don't work there anymore.

Saucy Papi

Yep.
  • Majo notes in her suit that Sony says she was terminated because of the closure of an internal department, though she says she wasn’t in that department.
They were desperate to get rid of this person.
I've seen it time and time again.

EDIT: We actually have this issue right now at our company with a radical feminist (what a surprise).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's the exact same issue at my company. All the poor employees are the ones that complain the most and yet do the least. We actually try to make their life miserable so we end up running them off as opposed to firing them so they don't have an incentive to sue.
And it's a bad cycle. Because a lot of those idiots have roles that relate to another (support role like the analysts chick). So if she fucks up and cant do shit what happens? The marketing manager now has to do her shit or just says fuck it and does their best without the important stuff she was supposed to do.

No wonder employee morale can drop.

People think it's because of bad bosses, but all it takes is some shitty peers making your job tougher and then it's a tough slog until that person does quit or get fired. And even if they do, a good replacement might not be for months.

I'm a firm believer in company performance evaluations. As long as you do a good job, you'll ALWAYS get a decent score. I have never got worse than the middle ranking mark. Its not hard to do good. Just do your work and dont be an asshole.

All the people who I've seen or heard got a 1-star rating (probation or firing line) were all idiots. Unfortunately, companies usually go through the hassle of retraining to give them a chance. I've never seen a 1-star prop up and be much better later. Once they are lousy they're lousy forever. Cut to the chase and axe em.

Last edited:

Saucy Papi

And it's a bad cycle. Because a lot of those idiots have roles that relate to another (support role like the analysts chick). So if she fucks up and cant do shit what happens? The marketing manager now has to do her shit or just says fuck it and does their best without the important stuff she was supposed to do.

No wonder employee morale can drop.

People think it's because of bad bosses, but all it takes is some shitty peers making your job tougher and then it's a tough slog even if that person does quit or get fired. And even if they do, a good replacement might not be for months.

I'm a firm believer in company performance evaluations. As long as you do a good job, you'll ALWAYS get a decent score. I have never got worse than the middle ranking mark. Its not hard to do good. Just do your work and dont be an asshole.

All the people who I've seen or heard got a 1-star rating (probation or firing line) were all idiots. Unfortunately, companies usually go through the hassle of retraining to give them a chance. I've never seen a 1-star prop up and be much better later. Once they are lousy they're lousy forever. Cut to the chase and axe em.
You must work at my company.

Tripolygon

Banned
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

The beast can never be satiated.
What beast?

Someone was fired and she felt she was discriminated against based on her gender which is illegal based on US laws. She filed a lawsuit based on that and now it is left to the courts to decide based on facts her lawyer will present. These lawsuits are not a new phenomenon and are hard to prove.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Some people get paid more who have more experience, to steal them from other companies and length of employment. Someone working there 10 years obviously gets paid a lot more than someone 5 years.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What beast?

Someone was fired and she felt she was discriminated against based on her gender which is illegal based on US laws. She filed a lawsuit based on that and now it is left to the courts to decide based on facts her lawyer will present. These lawsuits are not a new phenomenon and are hard to prove.
The IdPol beast he mentioned. My comment had nothing to do with the article. Slow down, and reread.

KAL2006

Banned
There will always be pay disparity. I've been in jobs where I've been paid 10x the pay as someone else because I was hired by a different agency. It's all about negotiation and lying. When I apply for a job and they ask me my previous salary I'll just lie and give a high salary and fake years of experience. As I got older I realise it's not about how hard you work it's about negotiation, having access to informationt, timing, investments and putting yourself out there. Hard work is part of it but not the main thing. In my Linkdn all the previous people I worked with I can see their jobs I did with them are something else completely. Basically the best thing to do is is, fake it till you make it hard work is for suckers.

Nickolaidas

Banned
"Sony discriminates against female employees, including those who are female and those who identify as female, in compensation and promotion and subjects them to a work culture predominated by men."

Ironically, this proves that Sony accepts transgender people as female since they treat them as badly as women.

So Sony is both a bigoted company as well as an inclusive one.

Tripolygon

Banned
The IdPol beast he mentioned. My comment had nothing to do with the article. Slow down, and reread.
No, I read it hence the question? What has identity politics to do with a former employee suing their former employer for workplace discrimination?

Do you know what the idiom "live by the sword, die by the sword" means? If you use violence, expect violence in response.

My wife used to work for Sony Mobile. She was once dragged into a case where her work colleague (who was a bitch that everyone hated) was suing the company for racial discrimination, claiming that one of the bosses who wasn't even involved in the decision to fire her was nasty to her because she's black.

My wife, who is also black, was dragged into a room to defend this her colleague's case and accusations against this boss, and my wife simply sat there and told the truth that the guy was one of the nicest people she'd ever worked with and he'd never made my wife feel uncomfortable or marginalized because of her skin colour.

Essentially, disgruntled employees who are usually fired because they themselves are the problem, create lawsuits primarily for the purpose of retribution.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No, I read it hence the question? What has identity politics to do with a former employee suing their former employer for workplace discrimination?

Do you know what the idiom "live by the sword, die by the sword" means? If you use violence, expect violence in response.
And I read her allegations above, it is jumbled mess of IdPol and bullshit. Especially the part about CA of all places ... "treatment of women has been especially intense in California"

Yawn.

Live the by IdPol, die by the loonies and their IdPol. The beast shalt never be satiated. I said what I said.

Last edited:

chonga

If women really were much cheaper to employ than men then companies would never employ men and make billions extra in profit.

But they don't, so you can be sure it is all fake news.

Top Bottom