• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Axios] Former PlayStation worker sues gaming giant, alleges gender discrimination

The former IT security analyst, Emma Majo, is seeking court approval to expand her effort into a class action on behalf of women who've worked for PlayStation in the past few years.

The suit alleges violations of the United States' Equal Pay Act, saying: "Sony discriminates against female employees, including those who are female and those who identify as female, in compensation and promotion and subjects them to a work culture predominated by men."

Majo alleges that she was ignored by a manager who only responded to men, was passed over for promotions and was terminated this year after submitting a gender bias complaint to the company.

She says other women at PlayStation struggled to get promoted at the same rate as men.
FE5LVm-XoAUS1y2

https://www.axios.com/playstation-l...ion-6d3b5ef7-b34c-4e45-94e5-f6424983e8a7.html

Last edited by a moderator:
seems interesting, lets see where it goes.

Sony as a company seems a little to proactive to please female audiences with movies like 2016 ghostbusters, the new Charlie Angels movie.

Wouldnt be surprised if they make the first AAA Rom Com game.

Maybe this is Amy Hennig. 😂

tmlDan

sounds like a he said she said, she won't win this but if this is true i hope she has the evidence to prove it rather than being opportunistic in the moment because of recent news.

i don't think "they responded to men more than me" and "they fired me because i complained" is sufficient enough to win anything lol

DeepSpace5D

The suit alleges violations of the United States’ Equal Pay Act, saying: “Sony discriminates against female employees, including those who are female and those who identify as female, in compensation and promotion and subjects them to a work culture predominated by men.

For the compensation at least, seems like something that could be pretty easily confirmed or disproven by looking at the average wages between males and females in the same roles and departments.

tmlDan

For the compensation at least, seems like something that could be pretty easily confirmed or disproven by looking at the average wages between males and females in the same roles and departments.
Averages never tell the whole story, you need to look at hours worked, level of experience, and negotiation practices because averages are biased when many factors are taken into consideration when being paid.

It is a known fact that men fight harder to negotiate salary than women do and its part of the reason they get paid more.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Averages never tell the whole story, you need to look at hours worked, level of experience, and negotiation practices because averages are biased when many factors are taken into consideration when being paid.

It is a known fact that men fight harder to negotiate salary than women do and its part of the reason they get paid more.
Yup.

And a big way to bump up salaries is to leave for another company where they'll amp up the offer to get you.

I've worked for 4 big companies at head offices, and when I see who leaves and who are lifers, there's sure a shitload more women being part of the 25 year club. Have fun inching your way with 2% increases every year.

tmlDan

Yup.

And a big way to bump up salaries is to leave for another company where they'll amp up the offer to get you.

I've worked for 4 big companies at head offices, and when I see who leaves and who are lifers, there's sure a shitload more women being part of the 25 year club. Have fun inching your way with 2% increases every year.
and honestly, I work in a female dominated industry (marketing) and i tell all my female coworkers to fight for more money when they go to new jobs, they're all hesitant - why be? they already offered you the job, try to squeeze as much as you can because you are worth it.

I don't believe any of these kinds of suits, not because it never happens, but because we never know all the details. We never know half the details. There is a lot of factors that go into promotions and raises. I'm in an IT team of only about 7 people and 1 is female, and I gotta say, she is damn lucky to be where she is. She's in a close to 6 figure position on an advanced IT team with no certifications and no experience at any other companies. Just stuck with this company since an internship. Meanwhile I started at the Geek Squad after graduating college at $11.85/hour. I got an extra $1/hour for going to college . . .

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
and honestly, I work in a female dominated industry (marketing) and i tell all my female coworkers to fight for more money when they go to new jobs, they're all hesitant - why be? they already offered you the job, try to squeeze as much as you can because you are worth it.
Yup.

My current job. I ripped myself off. I only asked for $5k more. It went through a recruiter so you got to play the game of back and forth with them being in the middle. When I told the recruiter I'll take the job and want $5k more, she called me back in an hour and said they agreed. HR probably laughed at my piddly demand.

I shoulda asked for $10 or $15k.

All you got to do is ask.

No different then WFH. Before covid, everyone at my office comes to the office. Not one of those flex schedule kinds of places where people come and go or WFH when they feel like it. I didnt think they'd ever bend.

But then some new hires come and I notice he or she doesnt come to the office 5 times a week like the rest of us. Then I find out they made a deal that they can WFH 1-2 times per week. The boss agreed. So even for old school stodgy places where people are expected to come to work best they can even in shitty winter conditions, they'll bend and allow WFH. Just got to be firm and ask for it. At worst, they say no, but you still got the offer of the job.

reksveks

There was also the complaint from someone whom left Insomniac a couple of years ago (she complained then).

I do think this might be an easier case though to have resolved.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
She was paid less... maybe because her job and the work she did was worth less?

Not all jobs pay the same... what a shocker I know!

Not sure if you're being serious or if you honestly think she (as a low-level member of a marketing team) believes she should be paid the same as the head of her department.

So which is it Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert ? Evil Sony hates women or stupid Sony is so woke and SJWs? You speaking out for your hate against Sony from both sides of your mouth.

It can be both. Why are you calling out the OP?

DeepSpace5D

Well hours worked is kind of obvious, I didn’t think that was worth mentioning. If you’re not comparing similar hours there wouldn’t be much accuracy.

Level of experience is what I was referring to with comparing the same roles. Entry-level roles could be compared between males and females, as well as more experienced positions.

Fair point on the negotiation practices. I would imagine that would come more into play with promotions or when an employee has been with the company for a while. I don’t think there is much hard negotiating even with males for starting positions; usually male or female you’re just happy to get your foot in the door when you’re starting. But I could be wrong with starting role negotiating.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well hours worked is kind of obvious, I didn’t think that was worth mentioning. If you’re not comparing similar hours there wouldn’t be much accuracy.

Level of experience is what I was referring to with comparing the same roles. Entry-level roles could be compared between males and females, as well as more experienced positions.

Fair point on the negotiation practices. I would imagine that would come more into play with promotions or when an employee has been with the company for a while. I don’t think there is much hard negotiating even with males for starting positions; usually male or female you’re just happy to get your foot in the door when you’re starting.
Even if a company had a policy to hire for the exact same wage for the exact same job and experience, people would have different pay anyway.

Any big company that pays salary based on the usual 2% bump up, also adds in performance based salary bumps. If you do decent, you'll get the 2%. If you are a star performer, you 2% + xxx% salary increase. If you suck, you go on probation and get 0% increase.

What people who demand "I want the same wage as everyone else at same-ish job" are begging for is set pay with zero performance influence. It'd be like a union worker getting paid on agreed upon tiers of seniority than quality of work.

So for the IT person, whether she does good or bad she wants a predictable same as everyone else salary. lol

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I work in a varied team of people. We all do the same job, but we're not all paid the same. Some of the women are paid more than men and vice versa.

I highly doubt Sony would make a conscious decision to pay all men more than women just because they're men. I also highly doubt management are told to promote men over women.

I call bullshit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom