• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Axios] Former PlayStation worker sues gaming giant, alleges gender discrimination

kingfey

Banned
Just because the world is 50/50 men and women, does not mean everything is life is split 50/50.

That's like saying if 30% of the world is in the 25-40 year old bracket, 30% of all jobs should have people aged 25-40 no matter what job it is.
The split is 94.3% vs 5.7%.
Out of all the women working there only 4 women got the promotion offer. Out of all the men that is working there, almost 70 were offered the promotion.

I dont know how you can spin this disparity.

kingfey

Banned
Gender disparity is entirely up to the gender, in media its 80/20 men versus women where every boss i have had was a woman.

Is it gender discrimination that men don't want to work in media and advertising? no.

In tech its male dominant, so likely why its so skewed.

I'm not here to argue here btw but we shouldn't make assumptions because of what we see at face value.
Not everyone is going to have the same numbers. Each field would have certain gender dominating. but not to a certain numbers, like the article is giving us.
The article is giving us the assumption that the company gave 94.3% of the promotion offer to men. It wasn't just 80% to 20%.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Years back a female employee at my work was on the firing line, so she pulled out the sexual harrassment accusation. And when that happens you cant fire someone.

A big investigation happened involving around 10 people, where this chick dragged other people into it. Turns out she lied and the dude kept his job and she still got fired. The people she tried to drag into it went against her.

Colin Moriarty interviewed a guy who was let go from IGN... not going to look it up again... but that clowns story is clear evidence that when you mix immature men and immature women.... the women are ticking accusatory time bombs and you better be DAMN careful. That guy was an "ally" - thought he had a social relationship with a woman and it imploded on him for next to no reason whatsoever. It's not a game worth playing.

Ok, you guys are using one, two anecdotal examples to counter this.

Meanwhile we also have verified cases as to how vile executives and employees can get against women in their offices at Activision, Riot etc etc etc.

You're not gonna tell me with a straight face that shit like this doesn't happen lol.

I'm not saying "believe everything women say", but some of the ways some folks are just outright dismissing them are pretty blatant examples of sexism in themselves.

Last edited:

John Wick

70 vs 4?
I think there is a big problem, when that much gets promoted, while the other side gets 4. You dont get almost 70 men to be qualified for promotion, while there are 4 women, who get those promotion.
Depends on workforce. Gaming companies tend to be mainly male oriented. Just like if you go to a building site.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not everyone is going to have the same numbers. Each field would have certain gender dominating. but not to a certain numbers, like the article is giving us.
The article is giving us the assumption that the company gave 94.3% of the promotion offer to men. It wasn't just 80% to 20%.
And again, how many men and women were in the departments to start with? And what kinds of jobs did they have? And what kinds of promoted jobs were available which the pool was considered for?

kingfey

Banned
How many men and women are working in that department? And what level job do the women have to start with?
You can calculate the 70 men vs the 4 women. Since this is promotion, it means that there are alot of men working on this field. If you have 4k employees, then that means 3772 are men, and 228 are women. A rate of 94.3% vs 5.7%
That is etimate on number Marie Harrington gave us. She worked for Sony for 16 years.

AGRacing

Gold Member

Meanwhile we also have verified cases as to how vile executives and employees can get against women in their offices at Activision, Riot etc etc etc.

You're not gonna tell me with a straight face that shit like this doesn't happen lol.

I'm not saying "believe everything women say", but some of the ways some folks are just outright dismissing them are pretty blatant examples of sexism in themselves.

The burden is on them for proof. Today we have accusations. When we have proof I'm happy to agree with you... but I'm not condemning anybody based on a numbers game.

I'm happy to see them go down on evidence of a problem. Most want to see them go down on nonsense.

Vaelka

Unwelcome advances I can understand women face more of.
But tbh I also think a lot of the time women will assume they get insulted BECAUSE they're a woman, they feel like everything is because of their gender.
In the end of the day demeaning comments and not getting proper credit for your work is something that happens to everyone.
And in a lot of cases I also think people maybe feel like they deserve more than they actually do, and they also don't know how well others are doing they only know their own situation.
While their employeer will have a better view of how they actually '' rank '' in the whole.

nush

Gold Member

It happens in boring "never heard of them companies" as well, it just doesn't get sensationalized for clicks that it's just a gaming company culture issue.

adamsapple

It happens in boring "never heard of them companies" as well, it just doesn't get sensationalized for clicks that it's just a gaming company culture issue.

The accusers aren't the ones sensationalizing it, the gaming news websites that are reporting this are.

And of course it gets more traction and a more trained eye from media when it's a big ass multi billion dollar company like Sony, Activision and not a start-up based out of Wyoming.

I'm fully expecting this to get quietly settled out of court in a few months as well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Not saying it's always a lie. When did I say assaults or discrimination never happens? Show it.

Just saying when it happens and dont assume an accusation is true. You're getting into Twitter mob conclusions.

Just like when a random woman or women accuses a star athlete he drugged or raped her, it's not always true.

My real world story is a perfect example. If you are someone who would believe that BS woman go ahead. Word got out of the investigation because people have loose lips and I didnt believe he was wrong one bit as I knew she was a total loser on the firing line. I was right.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Man, these Sony Playstation male employees are creeps. I bet they also bring home the 3D model of Aloy and do some disgusting things in front of their PC

Last edited:

C2brixx

Sony_PSN_exec.png
That story is crazy.

John Wick

seriously? Dont you see the irony on your post?

Its either A) the company is being dominated by men, which shows gender disparity or B) There is clear discrimination against women.
I've done contract work where I have gone to different companies and the workforce was mainly men bar a few women. I can easily assume the shit that women would have to put up with at these male dominated workplaces. So promotion would be difficult and low for the women. Then again Sony could do better

Gexxy1

The problem is that only 4 women were promoted. That is 5% compared to men, who were 95%. At this age, such disparity shouldn't exist, especially with college education and other tools women have.
If 2,000 men work there and 10 women do, that puts a much different light on these statistics. I'm willing to bet far more men work here than women do, and thus more of them are going to be promoted.

Notwithstanding how capable said individuals actually are.

recursive

How is that trolling? Gender disparity would have tons of men, compared to women. The article doesnt mention that. If Sony does have that, all my previous would worthless. But if its not, then they got a big problem.
We are just going with what the article provided us.
Do some research. Don't say we. It is you going off the article only. Tech fields are not 50/50 male/female per representation by college graduates so workforce will not be 50/50.

Anyway, this is a straying into political areas which are not allowed per forum rules. Not going to engage further. I recommend you don't troll further and get banned.

fallingdove

How is my narrative flawed, when there are 70 men who got promoted. While the women working there, only 4 got promoted. No one is asking the same number of men. Its just that these huge disparity shouldn't exist. There could be 70/30 split. Not 95/5 split. You could have 50/24 split.
Err. You don’t know what the distribution of men to women is. Throwing random numbers out doesn’t make your argument any stronger. What if all 10 of these women were on the same team or in the same organization?

“Hey, we have an opening for Director of Character Design but only men on the team. Let’s appoint that woman from marketing to appease some random gaming forum person’s 50/24 split rule!”

adamsapple

There is definitely a significant problem with work culture in CA. Seems like everywhere else in the country and world men and women can work together fine but the freaks in CA somehow cannot manage this.

Rampant frat boy-ish culture in the IT industry there.

Buki1

On a side note of "sexism". When war started in Ukraine two weeks ago, Ukrainian men were suddenly forbidden to cross the border. Women were evacuated in milions. Men had to stay, fight and die just because of they were born with a certain gender.

Funny thing is that feminism suddenly dissapeared. No more protests for "equality", no more "my body my choice". Feminists just packed their bags and leaved the country acting like a fragile gender, while men were left behind.

So much for male privilage when the real problems arise. When this nightmare will end, its time to revaluate all this bullshit. If you were silent at the most brutal example of gender inaquality in human history, when only your gender decides if you can live or must fight to death, you should also shut you damn mouth about inequality in the times of peace. This war proved how much feminism is really worth. If im expected to die for my country in the times of war and you could just leave, that proves you are systematicly privilaged gender. No minor bullshit about your hurt feeling in the office or other gender gap that you bitch about will ever leverage that inequality - you have the right to choose if you want to live or die, I don't.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Do some research. Don't say we. It is you going off the article only. Tech fields are not 50/50 male/female per representation by college graduates so workforce will not be 50/50.
What are you talking about? This is a promotion offer, offered to both parties. Its literally in the article. The female that have been working for 16 years for Sony gave us this info.
All you are doing is drop some nonsense here. The information she gave us, clearly shows 94.3% vs 5.7%. I dont know how you can this paint this differently.

Sentenza

One of the comments even suggested that they were interrupted in meetings. EVERYONE gets interrupted in meetings. Even my bosses. Especially in zoom meetings. Thats normal.
Yeah, but these women have been spoiled by their social circles and they deluded themselves into thinking that every time people don't stand in awe and cheer when they open their mouth it must the Patriarchy at work.

But that's the thing with a lot of these reports, isn't it? They list a lot of awful-sounding shit trying to make it sound as if Mengele was opening a new laboratory at the office, then you got to the gist of it it's more often than not a pile of meaningless bullshit.

"Oh no, someone flirted with me". Yeah, you are human being interacting, it's bound to happen at some point unless you aren't a sack of unsalvageable trash. I bet it's a problem just because it was someone you didn't fancy a single bit.
"The flirting was awkward". Yeah, well, a lot of people aren't that good with that shit. And if it gets bad there's nothing that shuts down that type of behavior more quickly than being explicit in voicing your dislike for it.
"Someone dismissed my suggestion". Yeah, suggestions got shut down constantly. Hell, if anything it's far more common than having a suggestion embraced and praised for its brilliance. And I've seen plenty of women in a working environment making the dumbest and/or most pointless suggestions with the attitude of who thought they were sharing distilled genius with the world.
"Someone talked over me". Yeah, co-workers talk over each other and argue about shit all the goddamn time. You may be the only person in your office/studio/team who takes it personally, because you are nurturing your victim complex over the patriarchy. And when it's a boss? They talk over everyone and don't give a shit.
"I've heard co-workers making mean-spirited/sexist jokes during a coffee break". Jesus Christ, god forbit your maybe-over-wroked-and-underpaid co-workers were trying to relax and joke with each other when the Moral Police was around.
"Frat boy culture". Yeah, that's coded language for "You are bitter that your co-workers are in good terms with each other and joke all the time and then avoid eye contact when you are around" because you are notoriously a stuck-up killjoy.
"More men got promoted compared to women". Ok? Even ignoring that maybe men DO outnumber women in your field (and consequently in your company) by a wide margin, the rest of the difference MAY be related to the fact that maybe these men slave away 12 hours a day as a minimum for years, always overachieving and being on top of their job (because they are competitive in nature, passionate about it or just committed to providing for their families) when most of the women in the office maybe leave regularly at 5 pm each day, take regular vacations, maternity leaves, etc?

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
If 2,000 men work there and 10 women do, that puts a much different light on these statistics. I'm willing to bet far more men work here than women do, and thus more of them are going to be promoted.

That could be plausible.

adamsapple

On a side note of "sexism". When war started in Ukraine two weeks ago, Ukrainian men were suddenly forbidden to cross the border. Women were evacuated in milions. Men had to stay, fight and die just because of they were born with a certain gender.

Funny thing is that feminism suddenly dissapeared. No more protests for "equality", no more "my body my choice". Feminists just packed their bags and leaved the country acting like a fragile gender, while men were left behind.

So much for male privilage when the real problems arise. When this nightmare will end, its time to revaluate all this bullshit. If you were silent at the most brutal example of gender inaquality in human history, when only your gender decides if you can live or must fight to death, you should also shut you damn mouth about inequality in the times of peace. This war proved how much feminism is really worth. If im expected to die for my country in the times of war and you could just leave, that proves you are systematicly privilaged gender. No minor bullshit about your hurt feeling in the office or other gender gap that you bitch about will ever leverage that inequality - you have the right to choose if you want to live or die, I don't.

I think you have bigger issues to sort than whatever this topic is about friend ..

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Err. You don’t know what the distribution of men to women is. Throwing random numbers out doesn’t make your argument any stronger. What if all 10 of these women were on the same team or in the same organization?

“Hey, we have an opening for Director of Character Design but only men on the team. Let’s appoint that woman from marketing to appease some random gaming forum person’s 50/24 split rule!”
Then explain the 70/4 split, that is stated on the article. Were those women on all women's team, which resulted in 70 men to have these offers?
The estimate I gave you, aligns with The lady that worked for Sony for 16 years.

• Marie Harrington, a veteran of Sony Online Entertainment and Sony PlayStation for more than 16 years, cited a lack of women considered for senior roles during “calibration sessions.” During one session, she said, only four women were considered for promotions, compared to nearly 70 men. She described hearing comments about female candidates’ family lives that weren’t made about male candidates.

Till this day I still can't understand western woke culture, everything just had to be about gender.

BTW, what does these thing had to do with gaming anyways, its like gender politics just has to infiltrate every field.
I thought Woke was about race when did Woke become about gender ?

Kara Johnson: “I believe Sony is not equipped to handle toxic work environments.”

Also Kara Johnson: “Thanks to all my peers and friends for making it such a great place to work!”

Like, I don’t deny she might have seen some shit in her time there, but, if you’re at Sony how are you supposed to read this?

Like management isn’t doing their jobs.

Hezekiah

Banned
Didn't Ryan or someone from Sony taking a huge public stand against sexism around the Activision reveal, and said that such things as these would never find place at Sony?

Edit: partly found it.

"Ryan said he and the leadership were “disheartened and frankly stunned” to see that Activision Blizzard has “not done enough to address a deep-seated culture of discrimination and harassment.”
Ryan reportedly said they reached out to Activision immediately after the article was published, to express “deep concern” and ask how the company plans to address the claims made. “We do not believe their statements of response properly address the situation,” said Ryan.

Now this is in no way Ryan's fault, but it just backfires every time someone takes a stand. It always bites them in the ass.
Just say you disagrees with their actions instead of looking like a Saint.

Also fun to see how people in here react versus when kotick got heated up.
Remember, you're not getting any MS Rewards for posting propaganda for them.

recursive

What are you talking about? This is a promotion offer, offered to both parties. Its literally in the article. The female that have been working for 16 years for Sony gave us this info.
All you are doing is drop some nonsense here. The information she gave us, clearly shows 94.3% vs 5.7%. I dont know how you can this paint this differently.
Lol. Use some critical thinking. JFC. Unbelievable.

Armorous

I doubt you could name a single large company that has not had allegation lodged against them that were settled in private.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

If that's the case, its going to be a bigger problem. Like why only 10 women and 2000 men

Top Bottom