• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Nintendo hit with labor complaint

Draugoth

Gold Member
1650389094018.jpg

A worker says Nintendo of America violated their right to organize and has filed a National Labor Relations Board complaint against them and a hiring firm Nintendo had largely avoided the industry's labor scandals, but an investigation will follow.

tusharngf

what about all those years of developers working on weak boxes and trying to optimize the game as much as possible? /s

RoboFu

One of the green rats
A worker? … I think you mean a woker got mad they couldn’t start a protest against something.

Pretty positive this is not a developer position as the hiring firm mostly hires customer service.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

A large company can't exist without exploiting its workers to some extent...we'll continue to get these stories with every major company until the overall culture changes. Which is possible, even as bad as it is its still noticeably better than working conditions in the past.

Actually they can, but most of the time parsitic higher ups believe keeping labour cost as low as posstible in order to gain a few percentages of more profit in their balance sheets is something good.

Fbh

Be prepared to be sued by Mario himself.

It's Nintendo...they probably would.

"Actually Mike, we got a witness that's willing to testify you organized an unnoficial Smash tournament in middle school with a prize pool of $10. So either you take down your complaint or we'll be forced to sue you for $10 million in damages"

oldergamer

I can tell you that Nintendo doesn't follow best practices when it comes to stuff like this. They try to strong arm "certain" employees from leaving their studios with threats of being blacklisted ( its not a threat either, they will refuse to work with you after leaving). They are way more strict then people would like to know.

ParaSeoul

Why are gamers so interested in the business side of games?

Occasionally you hear about movie studios, but rarely. Gamers are obsessed with it.
I don't see the issue,isn't transparency better? Theres plenty of stories of overworked and underpaid VFX artists but they're mostly outsourced so maybe its not seen as the movie studios problem.

yurinka

For some other companies that for some seem to be 'cool' to hate, the gaming media loved to share horror stories and rumors of crunch, bad working conditions or harassment, or complained regarding lack of inclusivity between their characters or employees. Even in cases like Quantic Dream where after several trials and administrative investigations the court and government said they weren't guilty/are innocent of all the stuff.

But for Nintendo I don't remember any story, this is the closest one I remember. Workers and execs at Nintendo are humans, so I assume they may also have proportionally the same issues than the other companies, both inside and outside gaming.

But well, knowning how harsh is Nintendo with people taking down rom websites, videos of their games, fan games, blocking Smash tournaments and so on I assume their legal & PR team maybe is very aggresive with these topics too outside of how open is gaming media to throw shit at Nintendo with these things.

Last edited:

mxbison

Why are gamers so interested in the business side of games?

Occasionally you hear about movie studios, but rarely. Gamers are obsessed with it.

People are also interested in workers being exploited by companies like Amazon or the awful stuff Nestle does. It's really not a "gamer thing".

Movie industry seems like an exception with it's crazy celebrity worshipment.

Top Bottom