• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AYA NEO Retro Pro - The portable Ryzen 7 4800U powered Xbox/PS?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The all-new AYA Neo Pro Is an absolute Powerhouse, And we now finally have a proper RYZEN 7 4800U powered Handheld Gaming PC! In this video we take a look at the retro power version of the AYA neo-pro, With an eight-core 16 thread CPU back by 16 GB of LPDDR4X Ram this Handheld is Beast and can even handle Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite, And when it comes to ruining emulators on the AYA Neo pro it will do PSP, WiiU, GameCube, PS2 and Even PS3 using RPCS3! Can it compete with the upcoming Steam Deck? We just have to wait for Valve to release to find out!

Learn More Or Buy The AYA NEO PRO Here: https://store.ayaneo.com/products/aya... Buy An AYA Neo on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3poyRbF
A little pricey, but impressive. Especially the overclocking capabilities.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
2x the price of Steam Deck for how much improved performance?
Not by much, if at all. It is seriously impressive stuff however, but the Neo shows the difference between a small scale firm and a huge ass company like Valve - They can just sell that thing at a loss and still win huge based on hype alone.

And Valve has more than enough pockets to completely customize the hardware yet sell it for less and have developers optimize for that hardware - The Neo is in essense a Minisforum mini PC attached to a screen.

Which is still highly impressive, but Aya simply does not have the financial pockets to do what Valve does. For instance, the Vega 8 GPU can accomodate 4 GB i believe of that LPDDR4X memory, memory which is also slower than the quad channel set up of Steam Deck (And can occupy up to 8 GB LPDDR5)

Still would be lovely to have one though - If anything to compare it in a few years down the line to see how that top tier set up runs now - 16 GB LPDDR4X, Vega 8 with 512 GCN based cores is still a huge chunk more than a Switch.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
he Neo is in essense a Minisforum mini PC attached to a screen.
That's what the Deck is. No idea where you're getting devs optimizing specifically for it. If a game has low enough requirements it'll run great on that and all other low end devices, laptops, desktops, all. Maybe devices like that becoming more mainstream will make some devs optimize for that sort of APU/SOC/whatever, not any single device, which Valve can't guarantee some crazy sales on par with a popular console for either just as they couldn't for the Steam machines, though it'll certainly have ramifications if it does do well (if it even is widely enough avaiable naturally and doesn't encounter chip shortages) in that more such devices will come along faster than otherwise (though they exist already like this and the GPD Win they're niche but chipset manufacturers are striving toward making more such devices possible & viable hence Valve also finding hardware good for it).

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
2x the price of Steam Deck for how much improved performance?
Better CPU, worse GPU and lower memory bandwidth.

I guess that when playing games at a maximum of 1280*800p60, the additional CPU cores won't be making much of a difference. Plus the Deck's more modern GPU is going to support performance enhancing features that aren't really available on the old Vega GPU of the AYA.

I don't think there will be much of a place for these handhelds with Vega graphics when the Deck releases, considering the enormous price difference. There will probably be handhelds that perform better than the Deck when Rembrandt gets out, but I'm not counting with those being out there before late 2022.

daveonezero

Banned
Better CPU, worse GPU and lower memory bandwidth.

I guess that when playing games at a maximum of 1280*800p60, the additional CPU cores won't be making much of a difference. Plus the Deck's more modern GPU is going to support performance enhancing features that aren't really available on the old Vega GPU of the AYA.

I don't think there will be much of a place for these handhelds with Vega graphics when the Deck releases, considering the enormous price difference. There will probably be handhelds that perform better than the Deck when Rembrandt gets out, but I'm not counting with those being out there before late 2022.
It is an interesting segment of the market. Something I am watching as I’d love to have something more powerful than a switch to play my Steam library and get the multiplatform games that don’t perform as well on the switch.

without getting a new console or PC mainly because of size and power requirements.

ive been looking more at the mini PCs but it looks like the Deck is gonna have the CPU GPU config that works best.

Redneckerz

That's what the Deck is. No idea where you're getting devs optimizing specifically for it.
No, that's not what the Deck is - Valve has mentioned that for testing, people without a dev kit could you use a roughly comparable device. Technically they aren't the same at all.

Valve also mentioned to developers to ensure their game works on Steam Deck through performance profiles - and a mandatory 30 fps cap at 800p.

No idea where you're getting devs optimizing specifically for it.
Literally the Steam Deck Verified program? You only get the checkmark and a spot on the new frontpage if your game does everything right and has good performance settings, and has them from the get-go without the user having to do anything.

Also Valve encouraging devs to make Deck-specific depots with lower-fidelity assets, a better fit for the device's limited storage and graphics power. And supporting the Deck's specific wild mix of control options. Among many other things.

Alexios

No, that's not what the Deck is
Valve: Steam Deck is a handheld PC, stressing it everywhere since the reveal including the IGN exclusive articles they partnered for exactly to avoid randoms likening it to a console, Switch, etc. Gafer: No it's not, for reasons! Go educate Valve on their product then.
Literally the Steam Deck Verified program? You only get the checkmark and a spot on the new frontpage if your game does everything right and has good performance settings, and has them from the get-go without the user having to do anything.

Also Valve encouraging devs to make Deck-specific depots with lower-fidelity assets, a better fit for the device's limited storage and graphics power. And supporting the Deck's specific wild mix of control options. Among many other things.
A gazillion games will pass the check, if and when Valve gets around testing them so they don't show untested, without doing anything specific for Deck just because they're already low end friendly games that support controller profiles and similar. Because it's just a low spec PC just like the shit they already support. No company will think oh, better make sure it runs optimally on Deck if they didn't already intend for it to be playable on comparable low spec machines that are plentiful out there since not everyone has a 3090 and they're always aware when developing for PC. Guess what, there are gazillions of games that don't have settings or just default to the best based on x Ghz and other detected components that a new APU doesn't somehow hide, default to chosen native resolution and so on, while the uncolored Xbox prompts work just fine as Deck prompts, duh.

Steam platform/OS offering good shit to users like controller support and family sharing and play together and whatever else and Valve extending that user friendliness to their Deck for users to have a way to tell how it fares with a given game at a glance doesn't make it different to a PC.

Last edited:
A gazillion games will pass the check, if and when Valve gets around testing them so they don't show untested, without doing anything specific for Deck just because they're already low end friendly games that support controller profiles and similar. Because it's just a low spec PC like the shit they already support. No company will think oh, better make sure it runs optimally on Deck if they didn't already intend for it to be playable on comparable low spec machines that are plentiful out there since not everyone has a 3090 and they're always aware when developing for PC.
Exactly zero games will pass the check without some kind of input from the developers.

Because among many points in the Verified program, there are these:
- The game must provide a graphics configuration that makes for a good experience on the Deck, by default
- The game must provide a controller configuration that makes it playable on the Deck, by default
- The game must show correct Deck-appropriate controller glyphs for controller prompts

So unless you think a game is going to spontaneously autodetect correct settings for optimal play, for a literally first-of-its-kind custom APU in a unique hardware configuration, while running on Linux under a compatibility layer, and spontaneously sprouting the correct references to the new Deck controller glyphs in its settings, I really don't think you've thought that opinion of yours through.
And if you do think that, you're fairly certainly wrong.

reksveks

And Valve has more than enough pockets to completely customize the hardware yet sell it for less and have developers optimize for that hardware - The Neo is in essense a Minisforum mini PC attached to a screen
The main difference is actually the fact that valve don't need to generate any profit from the hardware, they will make it from the store.

These guys do need to get profit from the hardware.

Size of the pocket is a secondary thing

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
ive been looking more at the mini PCs but it looks like the Deck is gonna have the CPU GPU config that works best.

Not only that but I expect the user experience on the Deck, customer support and all kinds of troubleshooting to be much better on the Steam Deck.

I'm not crapping on AYA, One-Netbook or GPD in any way. Those guys are doing an excellent job considering their scale. But they can't match Valve's workforce of software developers, budget and scale.

Ozzie666

Even with Valve's considerable budget, I'd really like to see what Microsoft and Sony could do with AMD and a similar device. Are we close to stuffing the Series S into a portable?

Dream-Knife

Banned
Even with Valve's considerable budget, I'd really like to see what Microsoft and Sony could do with AMD and a similar device. Are we close to stuffing the Series S into a portable?
Microsoft would require it to run windows to install via the windows store, which would limit performance on a lower powered device like this compared to linux. Microsoft won't make one. Sony might once their profits start drying up, but then again why would they when they're going to be releasing all of their games on Steam?

daveonezero

Banned
Not only that but I expect the user experience on the Deck, customer support and all kinds of troubleshooting to be much better on the Steam Deck.

I'm not crapping on AYA, One-Netbook or GPD in any way. Those guys are doing an excellent job considering their scale. But they can't match Valve's workforce of software developers, budget and scale.
For sure. And even the mini PCs won’t have.

The cool thing is that any chipset running Linux/SteamOS is going to benefit from the Steam Deck.

GDP, Aya witll probably be shipping with SteamOS some day.

Steam may actually get back to a SteamBox model.

tusharngf

Its a low end PC in a handheld mode.

AYANEO_2021_Pro_Details_Page_JPG_PC_210731_9.jpg

Redneckerz

Valve: Steam Deck is a handheld PC, stressing it everywhere since the reveal including the IGN exclusive articles they partnered for exactly to avoid randoms likening it to a console, Switch, etc. Gafer: No it's not, for reasons!
If you fail to understand that the hardware recommended by Valve as a rough comparable for people without a dev kit isn't the same tech as the Steam Deck itself then you are arguing for a void.
Go educate Valve on their product then.
i don't have to, what i answered to you is literally their own statement. I don't need no education, but you may need to read up on what i am actually saying, since you seem to think that i am saying that the Steam Deck is not a PC at all, or something like that.

The main difference is actually the fact that valve don't need to generate any profit from the hardware, they will make it from the store.

These guys do need to get profit from the hardware.

Size of the pocket is a secondary thing
And perhaps that's how they can set the BOM/costs so low - Something Aya could never reach.

Alexios

If you fail to understand that the hardware recommended by Valve as a rough comparable for people without a dev kit isn't the same tech as the Steam Deck itself then you are arguing for a void.

i don't have to, what i answered to you is literally their own statement. I don't need no education, but you may need to read up on what i am actually saying, since you seem to think that i am saying that the Steam Deck is not a PC at all, or something like that.
No idea what you're going on about dev kits, I just quoted you saying Aya Neo is a small form PC, implying that's somehow different to what the Deck is, to which I replied and said that's what the Deck is, a handheld PC as Valve keep stressing since day one, forever, and you wrongly replied no. I never said its particular SOC has been in a gazillion other systems in that exact configuration or whatever else you wanna muddy the waters with. Shit don't stop being PCs every time a new CPU, GPU, APU or whatever is introduced to the field by a brand. The Deck is a handheld PC. Deal with it.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

No idea what you're going on about dev kits, I just quoted you saying Aya Neo is a small form PC, implying that's somehow different to what the Deck is, to which I replied and said that's what the Deck is, a handheld PC as Valve keep stressing since day 1 and forever and you wrongly claim it isn't.
You are reading it incorrectly, but since you want to be adamant i shall laid it out again.
  • The Aya Neo models are a series of handheld PCs, in its Radeon Edition with a 4800U, its Zen 2 based with GCN based Vega 8 Graphics with 512 cores. This is marred to 16 GB LPDDR4X. It can (if i recall correctly) up to 4 GB LPDDR4X as VRAM.
  • The Steam Deck is a handheld PC, with the AMD Aerith SoC. It is Zen 2 based, with RDNA2 based graphics with 512 cores. This is marred to 16 GB LPDDR5 in a quad channel configuration. 1 GB LPDDR5 is reserved by default, but the SoC can allocate up to 8 GB LPDDR5 as VRAM.
  • The Neo and Steam Deck are handheld PC's ,but their internals are different, as is above postulated. Things like LPDDR5, a quad memory controller, TDP improvements, developers having to include performance profiles, RDNA2, and so on and so forth.
  • For those developers who do not have a devkit (Which is basically a Steam Deck), Valve recommends a mini PC with rougly comparable specs - This is a Minisforum based mini PC with Zen 2 cores and GCN based Vega 8 cores.
    • Here i say that this machine (and the Aya Neo) is not one and the same as a Steam Deck given there are significant difference in technical underpinings. Again, what is above postulated.
    • What Valve is saying for the Mini PC atleast is that its roughly comparable - In practice, one could expect further efficiencies due to the custom SoC.
The Deck is a handheld PC. Deal with it.
Since that isn't what i was saying anyway i have no problems with this.

No idea what you're going on about dev kits, I just quoted you saying Aya Neo is a small form PC, implying that's somehow different to what the Deck is, to which I replied and said that's what the Deck is, a handheld PC as Valve keep stressing since day one, forever, and you wrongly replied no. I never said its particular SOC has been in a gazillion other systems in that exact configuration or whatever else you wanna muddy the waters with. Shit don't stop being PCs every time a new CPU, GPU, APU or whatever is introduced to the field by a brand. The Deck is a handheld PC. Deal with it.
The Deck is a standardized, single-configuration handheld PC, with a dedicated software compatibility component, and games being tested and graded based on compatibility with that one standard configuration. Its hardware components cannot be changed besides storage, and it is a single, corporation-backed and branded device that, much like a console, has games being specifically adapted for it, with a dedicated store (well, store section) listing those games.

Valve only stresses that the Deck is a PC, because it is so unlike a PC by conventional user metrics. Its hardware design is that of a console, the same as a Switch, and it presents a simplified, gamepad-focused frontend experience like a console does, but it runs a PC OS underneath that frontend. Valve needs to reiterate the PC thing at every corner, because it's vitally important for their marketing that there is no disconnect between the Deck and PC in the consumer's eye, despite all evidence to the contrary. Face it - no matter how you look at the Deck, if you don't see that Linux OS underneath, all you'll see is a console.

Would you call a PS3 running Linux, a PC? Besides the power and not being a handheld, there isn't much difference between the Deck and that.

In my opinion, much like the Switch it defies standard classification. I prefer to consider it a handheld PC-console hybrid.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Microsoft would require it to run windows to install via the windows store, which would limit performance on a lower powered device like this compared to linux. Microsoft won't make one.

i suspect some of you will be surprised when the benchmarks start coming out.

If proton was yielding transformative performance improvements over windows 10, there’d be a large thread here on GAF already.

ClosBSAS

X2 More expensive, build quality is gonna be shit compared to steam deck for sure. I don't see the pros besides more power.

Reallink

$1300 is why all these Chinese portables have never found a market outside the Youtubers that make videos on them, nobody's going to pay that much for a tertiary use case. Valve likely sold more units in the first minute than the rest of these companies combined have over the 6 or 7 years they've been making them.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
i suspect some of you will be surprised when the benchmarks start coming out.

If proton was yielding transformative performance improvements over windows 10, there’d be a large thread here on GAF already.
The memory overhead of windows is a real thing. It largely doesn't effect us on PC due to the separation of sysRam and Vram. These APUs use a shared pool.

Remember that arch is a build it yourself distro. Valve probably has it pretty bare like Xububtu.

Banned
I would never buy this, for 1 reason... the tiny analog sticks that are the same as Joycon sticks... that type of analog stick is absolutely useless for shooters because they lack any sense of precision, and they also die super fast and easily as we saw with plenty of Joy Con drift reports. one of my joycons also started drifting like a year ago, and I barely even play Switch and when I do I usually play on the TV or using the Hori SplitPad (which also has absolutely shit build quality, but that is another issue completely)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The all-new AYA Neo Pro Is an Emulation Beast!, In this video, we take a look at the retro power version of the AYA NEO PRO running our favorite retro emulators like PPSSPP for PSP, PCSX2 for PS2, Xbox using CXBX Reloaded, Gamecube Using the Dolphin emulator, and even PS3 using RCPS3 and WiiU with the CEMU EMulator! Spoiler Alert It Runs It All! And if you want to use an EMulation frontend like Launchbox ANd Big Box it works perfectly on this awesome handheld gaming PC. With an eight-core 16 thread CPU, The Ryzen 7 4800U, and back by 16 GB of LPDDR4X Ram this Handheld is an absolute Monster!

00:00-Intro
00:15-Overview
00:37-Aya Neo Pro Specs
01:33-LaunchBox Big Box Test Aya Neo Pro
02:23-Dreamcast Redream Emulator Aya Neo Pro
03:12-PSP Aya Neo Pro PPSSPP Emulator
04:02-Gamecube Emulation Aya Neo Pro Dolphin Emulator
04:52-PS2 Emulator Aya Neo Pro PCSX2
05:43-3DS Emulation Aya Neo Pro Citra Emulator
06:12-OG Xbox EmulatorAya Neo Pro CXBX Reloaded
06:58-WiiU Emulation Aya Neo Pro Cemu
07:50-PS3 EMulator Aya Neo Pro RPCS3
09:08-Final Thoughts

Reactions: TLZ

KAL2006

Banned
Microsoft would require it to run windows to install via the windows store, which would limit performance on a lower powered device like this compared to linux. Microsoft won't make one. Sony might once their profits start drying up, but then again why would they when they're going to be releasing all of their games on Steam?

I can almost guarantee Microsoft will jump on a device like this. They will make a handheld PC running a customized Windows for smaller screens. Of course you would have the option to install Epic Game Store and Steam like any Windows machine but it would be integrated with Windows Game Store. Surface Team at Microsoft already make hybrid tablets/laptops so a system similar Deck wouldnt be a massive task for Microsoft hardware engineers. They already have the hardware team and the software to get this done and majority of their recent games are cross gen so they will easily run.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I can almost guarantee Microsoft will jump on a device like this. They will make a handheld PC running a customized Windows for smaller screens. Of course you would have the option to install Epic Game Store and Steam like any Windows machine but it would be integrated with Windows Game Store. Surface Team at Microsoft already make hybrid tablets/laptops so a system similar Deck wouldnt be a massive task for Microsoft hardware engineers. They already have the hardware team and the software to get this done and majority of their recent games are cross gen so they will easily run.
Don't they have a mobile version of windows already that can only install from the Microsoft store?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The New AYA NEO Pro is a handheld gaming pc powered by the AMD Ryzen 7 4800U and backed by 16GB of LPDDR4X ram and in this video, we test out 14 PC games like COD Warzone, GTA5, Genshin Impact, Forza Horizon 5, Doom Eternal, The Witcher 3, Project Cars, Back 4 Blood, Fortnite, Borderlands 3, Rea Dead Redemption 2, Cyberpunk 2077 and of course we see if the AYA NEO Pro can Run Crysis!

2:00 - Overwatch
2:34 - Fortnite
3:09 - Genshin Impact
3:41 - Call Of Duty: Warzone
4:16 - Forza Horizon 5
4:53 - Back 4 Blood
5:27 - GTA V
6:03 - The Witcher 3
6:36 - Project Cars 2
7:08 - Doom Eternal
7:39 - Red Dead Redemption 2
8:12 - Crysis Remastered
8:47 - Borderlands 3
9:22 - Cyberpunk 2077

FStubbs

Why wouldn't they wait for a mobile solution from AMD that would let them essentially make an Xbox Series P(ortable) with the same power as the Series S? Sounds like we're not that far away from that being feasible.

Topher

Gold Member
Why wouldn't they wait for a mobile solution from AMD that would let them essentially make an Xbox Series P(ortable) with the same power as the Series S? Sounds like we're not that far away from that being feasible.

Heat and battery life come to mind...

DaGwaphics

This would be the idea I would go with, if it was compatible with all the series software via the XSS versions it would automatically have a complete library including the entire back catalog.

That and a simple clamshell Xcloud device would be the perfect combo. The streaming device could be basically a streaming stick with a screen and battery so that you could keep it extremely svelte and pocket-able. Probably WiFi only and you tether to a mobile if you are out of WiFi range. Would be a lot more convenient than carrying a controller with you, standard or those ones that fit around a phone.

KAL2006

Banned

As that technology won't exist where the battery life and heat is manageable. They are better going the Windows route, unless they must want to make a handheld where Devs would need to port which would basically lose its appeal due to lack of games. A Windows based system like Steam Deck would be appeing simply due to the amount of content already released in Windows.

FStubbs

As that technology won't exist where the battery life and heat is manageable. They are better going the Windows route, unless they must want to make a handheld where Devs would need to port which would basically lose its appeal due to lack of games. A Windows based system like Steam Deck would be appeing simply due to the amount of content already released in Windows.
Isn't Steamdeck already halfway there to Series S?

DaGwaphics

Heat and battery life come to mind...

That's true, further advancement would be needed. An idea for mid to late gen at best.

I guess we'll see how well the steam deck holds up once the cross-gen phase ends, will everything be a slideshow on that or will it hang in there.

buenoblue

I have a laptop with a ryzen 4700u. Never tried gaming on it as I have a gaming PC but I might try some games after seeing the performance of this.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The All-New AYA NEO Next Is the most powerful Ryzen powered handheld gaming PC I’ve tested so far on the channel and for good reason because it's using the Ryzen 7 5800U with 8 cores and 16 threads up to 4.4GHz! In this video, we unbox and test out the AYA NEO NEXT Advance and this handheld gaming pc is amazing! With 16Gb of ram and a 2TB M.2 SSD, it can run AAA games like Forza Horizon 5 with ease! The AYA NEO Next is also the first handheld gaming PC to use Hall effect sensors for the Analog-stick and trigger so we no longer have to worry about drift!

00:35-Unboxing
02:05-AYA NEO NEXT Overview
02:45-AYA NEO NEXT Specs
03:45-AYA Space Sofware Overview
04:20-Forza Horizon 5 AYA Neo Next
05:20-AYA NEO Next Benchmarks
05:48-Halo Infinite Aya Neo Next
06:28-Fallout 4 Aya neo Next
06:50-GTA5 Aya Neo Next
07:18-Doom Eternal Aya Neo Next
07:45-Aya Neo Next MK11 Test