• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Babylon’s Fall dropped to just one concurrent player on PC

kingfey

Banned

Babylon’s Fall’s concurrent PC player count briefly dropped to just one user this week.

That’s according to Steam Charts data, which claims that the game fell to just a single player at midnight BST on Wednesday, May 4.

The incredible stat comes just two months after the Square Enix title’s release, and follows weeks of dwindling player counts on PC, which is the only launch platform that can be reliably tracked (Babylon’s Fall is also available on PlayStation consoles).

According to the same data, the online brawler failed to attract more than 77 concurrent players at any point this week.

The title has averaged 64 concurrent players over the past 30 days. In comparison, Marvel’s Avengers – which was branded as a failure by Square Enix – averaged 276. Another Square Enix online game, Outriders, averaged 862 concurrent players over the past 30 days.

Babylon’s Fall was widely panned by critics when it launched in March. According to review aggregator Metacritic, the title is by far the worst reviewed game so far on PS5 and the worst game of the year.

Despite the game’s slow start, Square Enix and PlatinumGames moved quickly to insist that Babylon’s Fall development was not in danger.

The title’s poor reception seemingly encouraged the pair to address its future plans for the title, with a Twitter image published shortly after launch titled: “Is the continuing service in danger?”

The post insisted that there were “no plans to reduce the scale of development” on Babylon’s Fall, and claimed that content up until the game’s second season is “practically complete”, with work on Season 3 already started.

“In the future, Babylon’s Fall will almost certainly be frequently used as an example of how not to launch a live service game,” opens VGC’s review of the game.

“Not only does it fail at the most basic elements, such as a visual style that’s incredibly unappealing, or a mission structure that is somehow both dreadfully short and tedious, but the game also tries desperately to establish itself as a live game, filling your screen with as many opportunities to micro-transact as it can, despite the fact it actually costs $60 to purchase.”

Xenon

Platinum is one of the most overrated studios. Their games look great but I have yet to be hooked by any of their games by the actual gameplay.

More and more MS walking seems like a good move.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
giphy.gif

I don't remember anything being this bad in player count, not even Cyberpunk 2077.

lyan

Someone just let Platinum make a regular game without loading them down with bullshit pleeeease.
The one common thing Scalebound, Granblue Relink and Babylon Fall all have is multiplayer, so perhaps people should just let them keep making single player bayo clones.

Fbh

Well hey, at least someONE is excited about the GaaS future of Platinum games.

What happened to platinum man. Gutting.

I imagine financial struggles and a series of under performing games have forced them to work with low budgets and pretty much say yes to any project that gets thrown at them.
Even their arguably good and highly rated games like Vanquish and bayonetta usually sell poorly or at least below expectations. The only instance I can remember of a publisher being happy with how one of their games performed was Nier Automatta and that was just as much a Yoko Taro game as a it was a Platinum Game.

Also wouldn't be surprised if a lot of key talent has left over the years to go work on more successful (and probably better paying) studios.

Javthusiast

Banned
It baffles me how after all the success of both Nier Automata and Replicant, we still have no news about Taros new game. The only reason I can see is that Taro simply had no idea what to do for 1 or 2 years and they didn't start immediately. Instead he worked on that shitty card game and mobile game plus stage plays.

In the same time frame Guerilla made Horizon 2.

Last edited:

Juras

This is why we need cross-platform, so the one guy on pc can play with the one guy on ps5.
Played demo on PS4. It's just full version with acces to limited content by your side, but you allowed to play this content with full version users. Also i'm pretty sure i played with pc users few times, so cross was on.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cyberpunk never had low player count
I just checked SteamDB now. About 17,000 playing, where it ranges from 10,000-20,000 depending on time of day and day of the week. Not bad for a year and half old game that got grilled to high heaven.

As for Babylon's 1 person player count, SteamDB shows you got to get to the ~4000 game mark to get to games being played by 1 person.

yFzNiIg.jpg

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It was maintainance hour, not that the game's doing well or anything but come on. As for the studio itself, they always had the duds they couldn't care less about like Legend of Korra or whatever crap alongside the stuff they put their heart into like Bayonetta, Automata and Astral Chain.

Granted some of their smaller stuff were okay too (I mean, they wouldn't be hired by publishers otherwise I guess), like Transformers: Devastation, although level design really suffered with repetition and simplicity, it's just the core combat was fun enough to endure through the rest of it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I just checked SteamDB now. About 17,000 playing, where it ranges from 10,000-20,000 depending on time of day and day of the week. Not bad for a year and half old game that got grilled to high heaven.

As for Babylon's 1 person player count, SteamDB shows you got to get to the ~4000 game mark to get to games being played by 1 person.

yFzNiIg.jpg

That one guy trying to play Maple Story 2...

Lognor

Banned
Platinum needs a ton of oversight or something like babylon fall happens. They seem to work well with Nintendo, other than star fox, but that was most miyamoto that caused that disaster

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
On the plus side for that one player left, SE said they were fully committed to launching their DLC as it was ready soon. Lol

Got to give SE credit, that’s commitment!

Last edited:
Top Bottom