• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Babylon's Fall has fallen, service to end on 02/27/2023

Fbh

The one guy still playing:
28a16b7667962a2af05050657d274f91.jpg

I hope this doesn't taint Platinun's reputation

Maybe it will be a good thing.
Platinum have said they wanted to do more of this GaaS crap in the future. Maybe this experience will make them reconsider, not to mention it will be hard to sell a new GaaS from the Makers of Babylons "dead in less than a year" Fall.

Ozriel

M$FT
Sure, but S-E saw that the game was trash and decided to release it anyway.

Same thing that happened with Left Alive or The Quiet Man.

Takes a lot of balls to just decide to walk away vs just releasing something.

We see that with WB just outright canceling the Batgirl movie even though it was allegedly finished.

Square obviously hoped they’d get something from the release. But it tanked hard so they lost both ways.

Ozriel

M$FT
Wasn't platinum basically sucking Phill dick to be acquired by Xbox?

Acquired by anybody, tbh. They’ve been struggling financially and haven’t made a hit game in ages. They’d be relatively cheap, but it’s telling that there aren’t that many suitors. Not even the usual suspects Embracer or Tencent.

Speaks volumes that Phil keeps talking about expanding xbox Japanese/Asian presence but even he isn’t pitching for them.

I guess we’ll see if their streak of bad stuff ends with Bayonetta 3

The one guy still playing:
28a16b7667962a2af05050657d274f91.jpg

Maybe it will be a good thing.
Platinum have said they wanted to do more of this GaaS crap in the future. Maybe this experience will make them reconsider, not to mention it will be hard to sell a new GaaS from the Makers of Babylons "dead in less than a year" Fall.
Babylon (the town with the tower that fell) Fall (in less than a year). IT ALL MAKES SENSE!

At least this will dissuade them for trying crap in a long time

Last edited:
You mean more than any one of their other dumpster fires has?
Not aimed at you but Platinum gets way to much praise, they have more garbage games than hits, so bipolar in delivery. And even then half the time their games are just all flash, a couple good ideas but short and repetitive.
Madworld was quite bold for a wii game. Vanquish will never have a sequel. Anarchy reigns was ok. But fuck do we love Bayonetta and Revengeanceu

dottme

I just hope people stop buying full price GaaS. I can see GaaS kind of ok with some people (even if for the moment there’s issues with the monetization).
but paying $70/$80 for a game that you dont Know if you can still play it in a year is crazy.

Eh.... Not even trying f2p first...

You mean Square-Enix right?

S-E hired Platinum to do a job, they did what S-E asked... They paid for a trashy Gaas, they got a trashy gaas.
If this was said a year ago I would have answered "I couldn't care less about SE's reputation currently". But they are resurrecting some jrpgs, I think they might bring back tomb raider, and possibly deus ex one day? Well fuck me

Last edited:
I'm curious to see how Bayonetta will turn out. It'll tell us a lot about the current state of Platinum, I feel.
Well, to my knowledge is a full fledged single player game so that’s a huge improvement already and Bayonetta 3 should have excellent gameplay based on the prequels.

Last edited:

Ribi

Eh.... Not even trying f2p first...

S-E hired Platinum to do a job, they did what S-E asked... They paid for a trashy Gaas, they got a trashy gaas.
Correction they got a trashy platinum product. They washed

Aion002

If this was said a year ago I would have answered "I couldn't care less about SE's reputation currently". But they are resurrecting some jrpgs, I think they might bring back tomb raider, and possibly deus ex one day? Well fuck me
Kinda impossible when they sold the studios and the ips to Embracer.

https://metro.co.uk/2022/05/02/squa...d-developer-to-invest-in-blockchain-16569080/

Correction they got a trashy platinum product. They washed

50/50.

Platinum might make gold or trash... They are weird.

Last edited:

Polelock

YukiOnna

No I think it would be Platinum for their delivery on the game. The only ones responsible from SE side is Producers Junichi Ehara and Yosuke Saito who worked with them on Nier Automata.

From Astral Chain to Babylon's Fall, PG hasn't had it smooth sailing.

This is a really fucked up thing for them to do. Just shut down the servers? Even if there are only 5 people in the world still playing this game you don't just shut down servers less than a year into the games "life". If games journalists had any integrity there'd be many articles absolutely slamming them for this.

This is the kinda thing that terrifies me as most of my games are digital.

Miles708

This is a really fucked up thing for them to do. Just shut down the servers? Even if there are only 5 people in the world still playing this game you don't just shut down servers less than a year into the games "life". If games journalists had any integrity there'd be many articles absolutely slamming them for this.

This is the kinda thing that terrifies me as most of my games are digital.

Gaas is rental but people keep rewarding anti consumer behaviours. Gamers are so easy to take advantage of.

Gojiira

Madworld was quite bold for a wii game. Vanquish will never have a sequel. Anarchy reigns was ok. But fuck do we love Bayonetta and Revengeanceu
Oh mate I know, I love Bayonetta myself, Revengence I also feel is overrated though, its combat is half baked, its fun but its a great example of exactly what I mean. Lots of flash but little substance. Jetstream Sam though deserves a game of his own though lol

Gojiira

This just isnt true
It really is, no on the fly weapon switching, only the Katana has any real combos, no dedicated parry/block button. Compared to DMC1-4, even DmC reboot (🤮), Bayonetta, God of War, Ninja Gaiden etc etc its nowhere near as polished or deep. It just looks flashy.
Sorry but even at the time of release its mechanics were criticised, it just seems like nowadays the rose tinted glasses have come out and suddenly its this underappreciated gem rather than just exactly what it is and was, average.

Top Bottom