• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Babylon's Fall has surpassed Godfall for the worst reviewed PlayStation 5 exclusive so far.

Notabueno

Banned
That's what you get when let one cancerous investor leech in your company, eventually they fuck you on all strategical aspect and vision, leaders leave and all remains are impostors like the new ceo who said it himself "we're going to make more crap game and GaaS in the future".

It's only a matter of time before Kamiya's contract runs out and leaves to open a new company.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Sales or reception wise? Reception wise, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Wonderful 101, Astral Chain, Metal Gear Rising, Madworld, Vanquish, and Transformers. Honestly, Korra should be there as well, people were way to harsh towards a game that was sold as a cheaper title yet people acted like it was a full $60 game.

But I swear I’m alone on Gaf in not wanting Platinum to burn. I think they make great titles, but I swear the Scalebound cancellation (oh no, Microsoft who just showed how deep their pockets are lost a TINY amount of money, dear god!) and now this have made people break out the torches and pitchforks insanely fast. Geezus, I didn’t call for all of Capcom to burn just because they made Resident Evil 6. Even great teams/companies have a few fuck-ups.

Both sales and reception.

I don't want them to burn but I'm aware how the market is. Studios have to:

- Make mass appeal games with huge budgets
- Make niche games with limited budgets
- Make something in the middle and be really great consistently

What other reason would it be for Platinum to be in the shape it is other than they are not selling enough, are not great consistently or simply mismanaged? I don't think it's a good idea to acquire a business like that, what would the buyer would be acquiring?

Edit: By they way, I don't think Capcom it's a good comparison. While their track record is not perfect, they are responsible for some of the most well known IP's in modern gaming. They have the capabilities to develop their own engines and are pretty good technically (while Platinum are not, look at those PC ports for example) and they have survived for decades. They have had bad seasons during which they have been referred as Crapcom

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned
...or you get this and Scalebound.

Cat Glasses GIF by Leroy Patterson

...nobody got Scalebound.

blacktout

And there is people suggesting Platinum should be acquired by someone else... Do they even have more hits than misses and cancelled projects?

I think the hope is that if they're acquired the parent company would exercise some quality control and offer financial security so they don't have to do GaaS and liscenced titles on tight timelines and budgets to keep the doors open.

A.Romero

I think the hope is that if they're acquired the parent company would exercise some quality control and offer financial security so they don't have to do GaaS and liscenced titles on tight timelines and budgets to keep the doors open.

Thing is: there is no guarantee that once they get into a corporate formality the people currently working there will even stay and if they don't, what is left from Platinum other than some somewhat niche IP's?

In my opinion PG lives on reputation. That's why companies like Microsoft and Cygames bet on them for important games but they just lack the capability. Sure, if they could get the kind of support a madman like Kojima or Ueda get they could produce something on par but it's a big IF.

From the business perspective there is no point, it would make more sense to wait until they close and then pick and chose the talent that you want to keep and maybe start a new studio.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed their games a lot. Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta and Vanquish are great. W101 is a great show of their creativity. I'm just saying it doesn't sound like buying them is a great investment.

blacktout

Thing is: there is no guarantee that once they get into a corporate formality the people currently working there will even stay and if they don't, what is left from Platinum other than some somewhat niche IP's?

Oh absolutely. I think this is why you haven't seen a major publisher move to acquire them, even with Platinum's executives openly teasing that they're open to it.

Pejo

If they got rid of the floating weapons and microtransaction bullshit, re-priced it at $40 new, I'd have tried it. As is, when this game inevitably gets shut down, you won't even be able to play it solo to my understanding.

Literally everything was going against this game. For shame on S-E and Platinum.

DJ12

Game with zero hype or fanfare released during a glut of Stella games.

Who would've thought it would be a stinker.

While I don’t think it’s a good game by any means, I’ve loaded up the demo a couple times and keep thinking about it.

I am going to enjoy picking it up when they slash the price here soon.

Fbh

Hey, their new CEO said they were done doing "one-off, well-designed" games. At least he is a man of his word.

And there is people suggesting Platinum should be acquired by someone else... Do they even have more hits than misses and cancelled projects?

Platinum Games is like the Nic Cage of game development.
There's talent there but they are so desperate for money they'll just say yes to anything that gets thrown at them

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looking at their library of games, PG games are always bright with tons of action.

It's like a coin toss whether gamers and reviewers like it in one game and hate it in another.

Fake

Well deserved. Hope for a DLC to add microtransaction to the GAAS and decrease even more the score.

Lunarorbit

Wet fart sound!

Fuck this mess. I get irrational glee seeing Babylons fall, godfall, and Anthem fail. Sorry to the devs. Nothing personal, these games are trash and nothing more

Umbasaborne

Banned
Several GAAS flopping hard.
Hope companies take notice and stop making more crap like this. Or at least's, reduce it.
Yeah, companies are taking big, expensive swings and missing wildly. I wonder if this will push more companies to get back to making smaller scale single player games. Ea realized those were still successful after jedi fallen order.

I feel for the team at platinum though, im sure this doesnt feel great for them. Then when they make absolute bangers like bayo 2 they don’t sell enough copies. I wish ninendo would just buy them tbh

Last edited:

CosmicComet

Platinum is just not an elite developer sadly.

They are just as capable of making a dud as they are making something decent like Nier. Honestly their duds seem to outnumber their hits.

I now get why they were let go from the Granblue Fantasy console rpg.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

May be the worst reviewed PS5 game, but you know how many awful games came out last gem that are even worse than BF?

Fbh

it's, Sony paid for it as time exclusive game.
2dx86s9.jpg

Lol
It's kinda funny thinking about the executives who signed on this deal probably thinking they'd be getting the next Nier Automata as a launch exclusive, instead they got this turd.

yenside578

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure Sqaure Enix is trying to tank Plantium market value, by giving them a super small budget. So they can buy them for cheap

trikster40

There’s a reason Scalebound was cancelled. Never been a fan of PlatinumGames with the exception of Nier:Automata.

-pepodmc

Neo Member
For me their best game is between vanquish and metal gear revengeance. But they have other great games aside of those two.

anthony2690

Banned
Sales or reception wise? Reception wise, Bayonetta 1 and 2, Wonderful 101, Astral Chain, Metal Gear Rising, Madworld, Vanquish, and Transformers. Honestly, Korra should be there as well, people were way to harsh towards a game that was sold as a cheaper title yet people acted like it was a full $60 game.

But I swear I’m alone on Gaf in not wanting Platinum to burn. I think they make great titles, but I swear the Scalebound cancellation (oh no, Microsoft who just showed how deep their pockets are lost a TINY amount of money, dear god!) and now this have made people break out the torches and pitchforks insanely fast. Geezus, I didn’t call for all of Capcom to burn just because they made Resident Evil 6. Even great teams/companies have a few fuck-ups.
Difference is Resident Evil 6 wasn't that bad off a game, especially if you liked resident evil 5 (it just massively overstayed it's welcome)

Platinum on the other hand, have had many bad games.

& Been kicked off one game and had one cancelled.

I imagine bayonetta 3 will do well and hopefully be recieved well.

fermcr

After another fail, PlatinumGames still want Microsoft to finance them for the next few years for another try on Scalebound...

Oh My God Reaction GIF by Lillee Jean

Shakka43

So what's the best Fall game overall? Of the top of my head I would pick Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne.

A full priced GAAS game in an already overcrowded, overdone genre with zero marketing or hype that I know of releasing in a plethora of hyped, high profile games. What did anyone expect?

Top Bottom