• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood Character and Zombie Trailer

Kev Kev

im so fucking happy that this genre survived. after left 4 dead 2, i waietd years for l4d3 only for it to never show. there werent many clones at first, and when they did start appearing they werent as good. and then vermintide happened, and then vermintide 2 really showed me that the genre is o where near dead. and then i started discovering some actually really good clones and saw that the genre was very alive and healthy. and now here we are with the creators of the original keeping it going. i am ecstatic and cant wait for this game.

that being said... lol, here comes the swerve... i am really not interested in the characters stories, or them having special perks, abilities and stats, and im not a fan of the cards or the ability trees (i think there are ability trees???), and im actually a bit concerned its going to get in the way and as a result not feel quite like that l4d2 amazingness.

one of the best parts about l4d2 is its simplicity. each character is the same, with a few slots for items and thats it. they all can use the same guns and melee weapons and its all very consistent. you always know what to expect. the enemies and where they spawned, as well as items on the map, would be different every time tho, and that kept things interesting. you learned a bit about each character and there back story through the little back and forth dialogues they would have while in a match. but other than that, it was really simple and fun. there was none of this cards, and abilities, extra item slots, and all that (cosmetic are cool, i have no problem and even support that).

i dunno, just a thought. im still really excited for the game and im hoping all the new stuff is just going to make it more fun. i guess i would have just preferred a more classic l4d approach, and kept things really simple without all this extra fluff and over production. but we'll see!

Friendly warning to those excited. I'm a huge fan of l4d and after playing the alpha I realised L4D2 was still more fun to replay.

The specials are badly designed. The gunplay doesnt feel right.

Also the payment model is so fucking 2010. Full price and you need to pay more for new content after. Who the fuck charges for new maps/missions in 2021.

I'd love to be wrong but they needed to have done serious work since that test.

Kev Kev

Friendly warning to those excited. I'm a huge fan of l4d and after playing the alpha I realised L4D2 was still more fun to replay.

Also the payment model is so fucking 2010. Full price and you need to pay more for new content after. Who the fuck charges for new maps/missions in 2021.

Oof, that’s not what I wanted to hear 😩 hope they get it feeling right for release. As I said a couple posts up, I’m not a fan of all the extra stuff. I’m just looking for that simple, addicting l4d2 goodness.

they are called “alpha” for a reason tho. Let’s hope they take in feedback well and make the necessary changes. I don’t give a shit about extra content and dlc, especially if the base game doesn’t feel/play good.

Bwesh

The animations look like the hits or guns don't have any weight, or an "oomph" factor. I hope it gets updated.

Ribi

They didn't have all the specials in the alpha. I was disappointed in them too but I'll give them a chance on the specials.

If turtle rock knows one thing it's they how know to make some good fucking characters with good story to tell with thier dialogue. The evolve characters were actually really good and interesting and unique.

Color me interested. I always thought each character in L4D series should have a small perk to differentiate them a little. Something like being able to hold an extra grenade or more ammo or being a little better at melee.
Nothing game breaking just a decent perk.

But like others have mentioned a simple arcade mode with no perks or skill tree would be a nice option as well.

I just might preorder this.

MiguelItUp

The beta, while feeling a bit rough in places, was still the closest thing to L4D3 that will probably ever get. So, I'm beyond excited about it. Definitely one of my most anticipated games this year. I'm really hoping they deliver the goods across the board.

I was really worried about monetization because TRS and WB have shown us grossness in the past, but TRS has made it clear that they're not wanting to do anything like that. Which, is nice to read/hear, but I still take it with a grain of salt.

I just want the game to be great across the board.

Aion002

Damnnn that's terrible to read. How they can ignore the success of f2p games these day? If they want to make a live service game, why not go full f2p and make a shit ton of paid skins and cosmetics...

So simple to make a left 4 dead game with continuous new content for free while selling a gazillion of skins and other crap... Warzone, Apex, Fortnite, Genshin Impact, LoL and so many other types of games being extremely successful for so long in this model, yet not a single L4D inspired game doing it.

I had my hopes with World War Z and Zombie Army 3, but both went to the same old model, pay for everything and being forgotten in a few months.

I hope this one can keep the appeal for longer, but this old approach must be abandoned.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
im so fucking happy that this genre survived. after left 4 dead 2, i waietd years for l4d3 only for it to never show. there werent many clones at first, and when they did start appearing they werent as good. and then vermintide happened, and then vermintide 2 really showed me that the genre is o where near dead. and then i started discovering some actually really good clones and saw that the genre was very alive and healthy. and now here we are with the creators of the original keeping it going. i am ecstatic and cant wait for this game.

that being said... lol, here comes the swerve... i am really not interested in the characters stories, or them having special perks, abilities and stats, and im not a fan of the cards or the ability trees (i think there are ability trees???), and im actually a bit concerned its going to get in the way and as a result not feel quite like that l4d2 amazingness.

one of the best parts about l4d2 is its simplicity. each character is the same, with a few slots for items and thats it. they all can use the same guns and melee weapons and its all very consistent. you always know what to expect. the enemies and where they spawned, as well as items on the map, would be different every time tho, and that kept things interesting. you learned a bit about each character and there back story through the little back and forth dialogues they would have while in a match. but other than that, it was really simple and fun. there was none of this cards, and abilities, extra item slots, and all that (cosmetic are cool, i have no problem and even support that).

i dunno, just a thought. im still really excited for the game and im hoping all the new stuff is just going to make it more fun. i guess i would have just preferred a more classic l4d approach, and kept things really simple without all this extra fluff and over production. but we'll see!

I'm just replying to this because you seem quite passionate about the genre, as a big Left 4 Dead fan back in the day, I notice you mentioned Vermintide but not Deep Rock Galactic so I have to ask, have you given it a shot? It's currently on sale so it's as good a time as any if you have haven't.

As for Back 4 Blood I'm a little worried about what iv been hearing from people I know that have played it, there plan to charge for future content also is sending warnings off for me.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Was this always going to have this many characters? I thought it was going to go the L4D route with only a handful.

. . .I'll probably pick the game up at launch but I imagine it'll be the same rush fest that L4D2 is (at least it was for me as a new player) in co-op.

elliot5

Was this always going to have this many characters? I thought it was going to go the L4D route with only a handful.

. . .I'll probably pick the game up at launch but I imagine it'll be the same rush fest that L4D2 is (at least it was for me as a new player) in co-op.
so they can add other characters with different traits as DLC

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
So I just saw the "Cards Trailer" for the game and I guess that answers my concern about people just rushing objectives (as is done in L4D2, Vermintide, etc). Progression systems seems interesting, however -
so they can add other characters with different traits as DLC
Yes that is definitely the vibe I get from the above referenced trailer. It looks like a good amount of stuff is coming at launch (for replayability) but DLC is absolutely coming for this game.

. . .at least it only has a few editions.

Kev Kev

I'm just replying to this because you seem quite passionate about the genre, as a big Left 4 Dead fan back in the day, I notice you mentioned Vermintide but not Deep Rock Galactic so I have to ask, have you given it a shot? It's currently on sale so it's as good a time as any if you have haven't.

As for Back 4 Blood I'm a little worried about what iv been hearing from people I know that have played it, there plan to charge for future content also is sending warnings off for me.
Looks great I will check it out!

Hari Seldon

Meh that trailer is pretty shit. Looks like it is trying to be a hero shooter. Will probably pass on this and wait for a proper L4D3 game.

Care to explain a little more or is it just hot take Thursday up in here...?
We already got people complaining the guns have "no weight" based on the trailer...

So yes, it is Hot Take Thursday.

Edit: Game looks fun as all get out. Lots of fantastic memories play LFD1 and 2. We'll start a GAF B4B party.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned

Yeah they've gone Full WB™ with the microtransaction model haven't they? It's Evolve all over again. :/

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Day 1 (if you can play offline with bots, like l4d 1,2)
this is a big one for me. my initial gut reaction would be yes, bc they couldn't possibly be so dumb as to not have that in. but at the same time if they are already talking about microtranscation, and additional pay toplay content like maps and gun and what not, and question marks floating around if the cards can be accessed via a randomized "loot box" that is also paid for... *cringe* im just really hoping for the best on that front. we'll see in october...

Boneless

Is looks like L4D2 but worse, which is sad considering L4D2 is from 2009. This seems like no ambition and vision to create something new, its just trying to piggyback of L4D2.

Top Bottom