• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood |OT| Shouldn't this game be Left 4 Dead?

After not having fun with the co-op in the otherwise brilliant The Ascent, I’m super happy about this one. Never realized how much I had missed L4D. Sure, there are warts but that’s forgivable.

cormack12

Gold Member
What cards are a must for the final boss? It felt like we were hardly doing any damage last night.

What phase you struggling with? I'm guessing the bollicks in its mouth? I was in a matchmade group and we did it. That's one success from four attempts. Good ratio for PuGs. Make sure everyone is picking up the purple weapons from the ground at the beginning. Ammo capacity always good cards, plus bullet damage and bullet penetration. Health are good, buy the extra slots at the start for the team.

Ultimately though it's about co ordination. And getting a bit lucky with the horde in the lair.

I noticed this too. There's a small amount of acceleration for aiming. Whoever keeps putting this in games needs to be slapped in the face. It just ruins the whole thing.
I turned off aim assist and it seemed to help a lot. Hopefully some updates to gameplay are incoming very soon.

saintjules

The Friendly fire becomes a problem, especially during the horde rushes my teams encounter. Having a decent time with the game otherwise.

Last edited:

JCK75

I loved L4D2 a bit too much, but it was not the coop play that kept me coming back it was the amazingly unique Versus experience.. B4B just does not seem to have any designs for that so while I purchased it.. i don't see it having a long lifespan on my play list.

Ierg9JI.png

wolffy71

Banned
It's fun. Played with a group. Idk how randoms would be tho.

The aiming, just adjust ur settings straight off the bat is all i can say. Some of that improves as you add attachments and unlock cards.

Feels like a next level L4D. Its lacks some of the suspense that L4D had. But overall its worth the download for sure.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Not really feeling it.. It's not the same type of game I guess but I have a lot more fun with cold War zombies. And AI is dumb as fuck, aiming is odd.. Just first impressions, I'll try a bit more before uninstalling.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Back 4 Blood reviewed by Kyle Campbell on PC, also available on PlayStation and Xbox.

Developer Turtle Rock Studios doesn't nail all the twists it attempts on the classic Left 4 Dead-style co-op zombie FPS, but a creative card-base progression system, fantastic campaign, and lighthearted tone make it a fun spin on that familiar genre.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Played a few hours with a few buddies. Really like the card system in place. Looking forward to playing more. Anyone wanna play? By all means message me. Playing on PC with my Xbox buddies is an awesome feature and makes me feel like a god. Let's play if anyone is down. Send me your GT/B4B name and we can party up and play!

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Played a little of this, surprised at what I perceive to be a generally negative vibe around the game (but I see why now, looking at this thread 🙄) . Game seems solid to me.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Gunplay is fantastic on PC. Can't speak for consoles, but I love it, kind of has a Far Cry feel to it with a cool attachment system in place.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I understand the Cards and Supply Lines systems are there to add a little re-play value but it's got to the point where my friends are just pissed off with it.
They don't want to micro-manage things, they just want to shoot zombies.
And you can do those things without the card system. You can ignore it, if you want to specialize, you use it.

cormack12

Gold Member
And you can do those things without the card system. You can ignore it, if you want to specialize, you use it.

That's what recruit is for really imo.

That level with the prison doors is bullshit. You just have to try and run past them? Has anyone tried that on veteran? We onyl got one in the safe room on recruit because we were downed. Wtf, shitty level that.

Kev Kev

Updated the OT! Hope it is GAF worthy

How is everyone enjoying the game this weekend?

After struggling to get though act 2 I decided to take a different approach to this game. Instead of struggling to beat every act, and likely be em sick of the game by the end of act 4, I’m going back and really trying to master each level in each act.

Knowing myself (read: a horde shooter whore) I will likely being playing this game for several more years and I’d rather get a good handle on how to beat each level with the most efficiency, and know where all of the cache locations may or may not be. So I’ve done that with act 1, now I’m working on act 2 and will be moving onto act 3 soon.

Calverz

Finished this earlier. Game was fun but does still have a number of issues that need fixing. The BOT AI is absolutely terrible.
Also the game reuses same areas in the acts. I was hoping for more variation in the levels but guess that will be in the DLC.....

Kev Kev

Anyone know what the gold skulls are for?
no, i actually forgot about them. i saw one in the beta and was hoping it was going to be a collectible type of thing but havent seen any since the full game released.

edit: appears they are collectibles and there are ten of them, one for each level, and you get an achievement/trophy for finding all of them. i love finding collectibles even if they dont give you anything so thats a plus for me

Last edited:

Concern

no, i actually forgot about them. i saw one in the beta and was hoping it was going to be a collectible type of thing but havent seen any since the full game released.

edit: appears they are collectibles and there are ten of them, one for each level, and you get an achievement/trophy for finding all of them. i love finding collectibles even if they dont give you anything so thats a plus for me

Yea i just found one and got an achievement but was wondering if it did anything else. Game is a lot of fun so far regardless of some issues. Aiming really sucks with the acceleration too.

dorkimoe

I forgot how much i hate coop games. Knowing the gaming community its the last mode that should ever exist. Just constant morons. 1 guy who didnt know how to heal and would just run around with no health, 1 guy who would just sprint way ahead leaving everyone else behind, then you get the guy who just steals all the loot. Stupid, guess im playing with bots

Kev Kev

Guys I’m not going a lie, I’m having trouble getting through this game even on its easiest difficulty lol (playing with randoms). Like seriously? There isn’t anything easy about this. What’s with this new fetish devs have making games Uber difficult. I’ve only played this game for a week and I’m already feeling exhausted with how non stop every moment is. It’s like there is no pacing and the they just throw wave after wave at you.

I’m sure with good team mates and everyone having a mic it’d be easy. But With randoms it feels near impossible lol. There isn’t enough done in the game to encourage you to stick together, or notify the player they are leaving team mates behind, and when you couple tat with the terrible job the game does at telling what direction a horde or special is coming from, it’s just makes it annoying af:

at least if it were an easier mode than all the problems playing with randoms wouldn’t be an issue, but as it is now I couldn’t get past act 3 if I was even trying. And I’m not anymore! Lol I’m just trying to build a better deck so I don’t have to struggle.

But damn, why do games have to be so ADHD now? I what happened to pacing? This game just feel non stop, which is what I hated about doom eternal, and a lot of other games recently.

ok rant over. Hopefully they tune this game up over time. Right now I’m just not feeling like I’m going to be able to put up with it much longer.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Left 4 Dead fans have been waiting for this for a long time, but thanks to spiritual successor Back 4 Blood, we finally have an intense new co-op zombie shooter to fill that void- thanks to the same studio that brought us Valve's beloved series in the first place, in fact.

As you'd expect Back 4 Blood can be a pretty grueling game, and it demands a lot from its players, which means actively thinking about the game's mechanics and using them properly is crucial if you want to make any meaningful progress. Here, we'll be going over a few basic beginner tips and tricks that should help you settle into the groove more easily.

Concern

Guys I’m not going a lie, I’m having trouble getting through this game even on its easiest difficulty lol (playing with randoms). Like seriously? There isn’t anything easy about this. What’s with this new fetish devs have making games Uber difficult. I’ve only played this game for a week and I’m already feeling exhausted with how non stop every moment is. It’s like there is no pacing and the they just throw wave after wave at you.

I’m sure with good team mates and everyone having a mic it’d be easy. But With randoms it feels near impossible lol. There isn’t enough done in the game to encourage you to stick together, or notify the player they are leaving team mates behind, and when you couple tat with the terrible job the game does at telling what direction a horde or special is coming from, it’s just makes it annoying af:

at least if it were an easier mode than all the problems playing with randoms wouldn’t be an issue, but as it is now I couldn’t get past act 3 if I was even trying. And I’m not anymore! Lol I’m just trying to build a better deck so I don’t have to struggle.

But damn, why do games have to be so ADHD now? I what happened to pacing? This game just feel non stop, which is what I hated about doom eternal, and a lot of other games recently.

ok rant over. Hopefully they tune this game up over time. Right now I’m just not feeling like I’m going to be able to put up with it much longer.

You're not alone. Its hard af even on recruit. And even worse is I lost all my weapons and upgrades after dying on abandoned. Im playing with a full squad too. Its definitely hard. One of my friends even asked if I bumped up the difficulty lol.

Installed the game again bacause a cousin asked me and my gf to play together with him. I must say, after I got over the stupid card system, I think the gameplay is pretty solid. Starting to like the game. We are going through act 2 now. This game is better with friends/family. Had a lot of fun yesterday. We have a Series X and a Series S and our cousin is playing on PC. The crossplay worked just fine, no issues whatsoever. Pretty amazing. Do we play with Playstation owners when we have crossplay enabled or it's a Microsoft ecosystem thing?

MiguelItUp

The deeper you go into the game the more you realize the difficulties really are off, lol.

elliot5

Installed the game again bacause a cousin asked me and my gf to play together with him. I must say, after I got over the stupid card system, I think the gameplay is pretty solid. Starting to like the game. We are going through act 2 now. This game is better with friends/family. Had a lot of fun yesterday. We have a Series X and a Series S and our cousin is playing on PC. The crossplay worked just fine, no issues whatsoever. Pretty amazing. Do we play with Playstation owners when we have crossplay enabled or it's a Microsoft ecosystem thing?
Crossplay is everyone. PC, Xbox, game pass, steam, PS

MiguelItUp

No lie lol. How far are you in?

I took a break after getting destroyed at abandoned in act 1 a few times lol
I'm at the very last stage of Act 1, right before Act 2. God man, the mine stage was SO wtf, lmao. The pals I was playing with were like, "How is this recruit?!" Lmao.

Concern

I'm at the very last stage of Act 1, right before Act 2. God man, the mine stage was SO wtf, lmao. The pals I was playing with were like, "How is this recruit?!" Lmao.

Lmao exactly where Im at. My friend asked if I had bumped up the difficulty on it. Its frustrating I lost all my weapons and upgrades.

The ridden are fuckin relentless there 🤣🤣🤣

Bridges

Having a good time so far. It was weird at first because I still think Left 4 Dead & 2 nailed a lot of things way better than this does like the writing, enemy design and level design. But getting over the thought that this should be Left 4 Dead 3 there's a lot of fun to be had with the new mechanics, like the card system that's super fun once you unlock some of the better ones. But even with two other friends having a random on your team who doesn't know what they're doing is enough to tank a run (had a guy who just kept running through birds and taking all the loot and got us wiped). It is wild to me this doesn't have the ability to vote to kick like Left 4 Dead did.
My cheevos for completing the acts on certain difficulties have not unlocked (act I Recruit etc) despite me unlocking the actual level ones.
This can happen if you died before the ending of any of the levels, like if your team got to the safe room or escaped but you weren't alive when they did. The game still counts this as a completion but it doesn't count it towards the achievement. You'll just have to finish whichever one you had died in again (assuming this is what happened) and it'll pop next time you return to the hub.

EDIT: Defending the jukebox blasting The Hives has for sure been the coolest part of the game so far

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Having a good deck with lots of stuff for stamina, health, and damage bonuses front loaded makes things so much easier.

Also, people who hoard everything and never share then complain when we all die should be kicked directly in their bunghole.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
That level fucked us up the first time because we didn't understand how you have to quickly push and destroy the openings, and run through certain segments. The shipyard with the ferry is the same way. Gotta run 'n gun.

Top Bottom