• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood |OT| Shouldn't this game be Left 4 Dead?

no it feels weird t me too. messing with the sensitivity and "dead zones" helped a bit. im still messing around with it, but yeah something just feels off about the aiming (on consoles at least)
let me know if you find out what it is or you can resolve it, i want this game to do well! ;)

nbkicker

I would have been rushing out to buy this at one time, as use to play left 4 dead 1+2 with a load of friends, but now they all settled down with familys and dont game anymore, and not into playing with randoms, if this had a decent offline mode with bots then would have been tempted to buy

Kev Kev

I would have been rushing out to buy this at one time, as use to play left 4 dead 1+2 with a load of friends, but now they all settled down with familys and dont game anymore, and not into playing with randoms, if this had a decent offline mode with bots then would have been tempted to buy
i cant recommend playing with bots. they are decent, and usually get the job done, but there is a lot of dumb shit they do. and randoms is never the best experience, but you can get lucky with some decent players once in a while. i dont blame you for passing tho.

dem

I played this a bit last night...
I don't know how anyone can say with a straight face this isn't a left 4 dead sequel.

The visuals seem ok for what it is. Runs smooth.

Something feels very off with the controls though... and the bots seem really stupid. The big monsters feel... off. The AI overall just seems bad. I think it needed more time in the oven.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

So, I've played about 2 hours of it with bots, and it feels better than what I experienced in the previous betas. The first thing I noticed was that shooting felt better than it did previously.

Since the game launched today for everyone I'm planning on playing with pals ASAP. I'm sure it'll be a good time with friends regardless, but yeah, there are still a few things that are pretty off putting.

While B4B is NOT L4D3, it's hard to NOT compare them for obvious reasons. I mean, it's a new IP that's CLEARLY their go at L4D without the IP. The only difference is that it's TRS and not TRS + Valve.

That being said, there are SO many things that L4D 1/2 did that felt better (visually and gameplay-wise), even after being so many years old. At least IMO.

The sound queues of the special infected, the director AI, the dismemberment/gore, the grenade/pipe bomb explosions, and the molotov cocktail explosions and fire. Hell, even the special infected utilized their roles and abilities better. At least in a way that felt more strategic and planned. All of those are things that I feel could make the experience in B4B better.

In L4D 1/2 the hordes often felt overwhelming and intense. It legit made you want to avoid them as much as possible. I also felt like the maps were built better, maybe with the director AI in mind? There were often areas you'd be concerned about passing through due to choke points and pathing. In B4B it doesn't feel that way at all IMO. Hordes feel more like a minor inconvenience, and maps don't have areas that you're concerned about passing through. The other issue I noticed was the amount of of special Ridden the game throws at you. You see them A LOT. So much so that it makes them feel less... well.... "special." In L4D 1/2, you'd see the special Infected in gaps where every time they came around it was an "oh shit" moment. The special infected also felt like they played harder into their roles and abilities. In B4B it feels like their roles and abilities are so shallow, it's bizarre.

I think that if you enjoy coop shooters, or you enjoyed L4D 1/2, you'll enjoyed B4B with friends. But it's still so bizarre because it SHOULD be better in every possible way than the previous games it's influenced and inspired by. But, it isn't IMO.

Last edited:

dem

So, I've played about 2 hours of it with bots, and it feels better than what I experienced in the previous betas. The first thing I noticed was that shooting felt better than it did previously.

Since the game launched today for everyone I'm planning on playing with pals ASAP. I'm sure it'll be a good time with friends regardless, but yeah, there are still a few things that are pretty off putting.

While B4B is NOT L4D3, it's hard to NOT compare them for obvious reasons. I mean, it's a new IP that's CLEARLY their go at L4D without the IP. The only difference is that it's TRS and not TRS + Valve.

That being said, there are SO many things that L4D 1/2 did that felt better (visually and gameplay-wise), even after being so many years old. At least IMO.

The sound queues of the special infected, the director AI, the dismemberment/gore, the grenade/pipe bomb explosions, and the molotov cocktail explosions and fire. Hell, even the special infected utilized their roles and abilities better. At least in a way that felt more strategic and planned. All of those are things that I feel could make the experience in B4B better.

In L4D 1/2 the hordes often felt overwhelming and intense. It legit made you want to avoid them as much as possible. I also felt like the maps were built better, maybe with the director AI in mind? There were often areas you'd be concerned about passing through due to choke points and pathing. In B4B it doesn't feel that way at all IMO. Hordes feel more like a minor inconvenience, and maps don't have areas that you're concerned about passing through. The other issue I noticed was the amount of of special Ridden the game throws at you. You see them A LOT. So much so that it makes them feel less... well.... "special." In L4D 1/2, you'd see the special Infected in gaps where every time they came around it was an "oh shit" moment. The special infected also felt like they played harder into their roles and abilities. In B4B it feels like their roles and abilities are so shallow, it's bizarre.

I think that if you enjoy coop shooters, or you enjoyed L4D 1/2, you'll enjoyed B4B with friends. But it's still so bizarre because it SHOULD be better in every possible way than the previous games it's influenced and inspired by. But, it isn't IMO.

I agree with almost all of this.

Last night I was trying to see if there was ANY difference between grenades and molotov explosions. (other than the lasting fire) I honestly couldn't tell.

The zombie hordes seemed weak as fuck. At least on the 1st 2 levels I had no problem taking out everyone with a bat. In fact.. it almost seemed easier to kill everyone with the bat. They are no threat.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I agree with almost all of this.

Last night I was trying to see if there was ANY difference between grenades and molotov explosions. (other than the lasting fire) I honestly couldn't tell.

The zombie hordes seemed weak as fuck. At least on the 1st 2 levels I had no problem taking out everyone with a bat. In fact.. it almost seemed easier to kill everyone with the bat. They are no threat.
It's insane how much more "umph-y" the explosions felt in L4D 1/2. Even their physics, I mean they'd launch Infected bodies and limbs into the air. Here they just feel... so much weaker and less detailed. The Ridden just pop like water balloons filled with Ragu.

Right?! I'm not exaggerating when I say I didn't notice I was being rushed by a horde until the game mentioned that I was.

The entire experience really does feel like a watered down wannabe L4D experience.

The final B4B product leaves me feeling like it could've been SO much better across the board. I mean, why not look at L4D 1/2 and go, "Okay, we can't do L4D3 because we don't own the IP. But let's do our OWN version of it, and make it even better than the L4D series." They could've done that! Instead, it feels like they just did a rushed and shallow version of it and tacked on gameplay "features" that no one asked for or wanted. Like the card system, and the multiplayer that doesn't sound interesting for the majority.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
ok so i just played the intro mission after downloading it on my series x

the gunplay feels off somehow...is there something in the settings that is doing this or is this just how the game is going to be?

besides that, the game looks solid
I noticed this too, but in my case it's because of the field of view. Consoles generally don't allow field of view adjustments but moving mine to 103 FOV felt much better.

ManaByte

The more I play it the more it grows on me. Finished the first four levels of Act 1 to unlock the other characters. Love that it's PlayAnywhere too and it syncs across PC and Xbox. I'd buy it but I got burned with Evolve.

Ribi

The more I play it the more it grows on me. Finished the first four levels of Act 1 to unlock the other characters. Love that it's PlayAnywhere too and it syncs across PC and Xbox. I'd buy it but I got burned with Evolve.
Come play more evolve ;)

So mu wife came home from a quick shopping trip to Wally and brought me home the PS5 version. I have it on gamepass but will most likely keep it and try it on PS5 too and see how it compares VS THE SERIES x version.

Does anyone know if it's cross save between Xbox and PS5?

Didn't like ir. Played it with my GF, but the "survivor camp", the "card deck" system, the "buy your guns and upgrades" and clunky menus put us off for good. Looks like L4D, plays like p2w gaas mobile game.

MScarpa

Its really embarrassing.

mWjVVjU.jpg
This reads like posts here on NeoGAf prior to the new sticky. Thank god mods stepped in, This is a much better place. Reminds me of the old days when we just had to deal with Denis Dyack and the Too Human debacle.

This game feels half baked in terms of difficulty, the game's special zombies are just waaaay too OP, and not fun to kill. Half the time you're too slow, and the levels are too small. It's not like in Killing Floor 1 and 2 where you can just run around and kite them. Recruit is weirdly easy, but anything above that is a slog. It throws at times 3-4 specials at you, and also in completely tight places like ACT1's Apartment can turn into instant death with those long armed giant zombies. They need to balance the difficulty more.

Haggard

Banned
As an old L4D fan that just had to finish every compaign on epert before being satisfied I couldn`t keep my hands off the game, even though the lukewarm reviews were kind of a turnoff. So I hijacked (nicely asked) a friends Gamepass account and played ~4 hours of the game....and unfortunately I´ll have to leave it at that.

The game just feels like a cheap and in parts incompetently implemented copy of L4D rather than a spiritual successor made by the same studio. The difficulty balancing is completely off, the game director AI is downright broken, the content is just very bland and repetitively designed like especially the "special" infected which are used at such a frequency that they are definitely nothing special anymore, same goes for hordes.
The Indi-Level graphics and bugs don`t help.
This game feels like it`s something that`s fallen out of time. I´d probably have enjoyed it ~2010-2011 as a cheap L4D2 addon, but as a (theoretically) full price retail product this is just not good enough.

For some hours on an existing GP subscription it`s ok but getting even a single month of GP only for the game already seems like a waste imho. And don`t even think about paying 60+$ for this game on steam....

Forsythia

I don't like the card system and I don't like the hub. But those are minor annoyances I just have to get used to I guess, as the game is pretty fun overall. I just hope Valve themselves make a proper L4D3 someday...

Sitting at a 76 metacritic. Not horrible, but I was expecting high 80s.

Not my type of game anyway, but I know Left 4 Dead was beloved.

Last edited:

Amaranty

Set my FOV to 100 and turned off that auto recoil thing, certainly feels better now, but still a bit off.
What does auto recoil do? The camera movement felt jittery sometimes and I figured out that it was aim assist. I didn't turn it off, but I moved the aim assist strength to 0. That made it much better.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I have heard it is not very good. They didn't capture the magic they had with Left 4 Dead.

Game feels EXACTLY like Left 4 Dead. Also STEAM user reviews are pretty positive given how much hand wringing there was about the game during the beta's.

So how do you unlock the other 4? I've been playing in solo and saw the cutscene of them, but they are still locked.

Might have to do Act 1 online for it to unlock. There's no progression in Solo play. . .at all. So I imagine that would apply to character unlocks too.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Sitting at a 76 metacritic. Not horrible, but I was expecting high 80s.

Not my type of game anyway, but I know Left 4 Dead was beloved.

That's bizarre, why would you expect high 80's? Just look at games like World War Z, Earthfall, Zombie Army 4. Even Vermintide 2 only just scraped into the 80's.

I'd say your expectations are well out of sync with recent L4D clones and how they fare tbh.

Having said that I think it's closer to 80 than 76 but not quite 80. It's fun in co op and the card system isn't terrible when you get used to it. It is convoluted though especially with supplies paying for cosmetics and then copper used only during games. It also has some terrible BOT bugs and jank.

Reizo Ryuu

Workaround for people who want to play solo AND get progression. Go into settings and and set match to private instead of public. It will load you in with three bots and no one can join. It won't help the people who want to play offline but for people who just need to play solo, there ya go.
This doesn't work for me, it says:
"Matchmaking failed
Need to have 2 or more people in the lobby to start a private match. Change setting in preferences or invite another player."

kiphalfton

I literally just read this review and came back to post it, it really stands out as bloody stupid, I mean the games not what I would call "great" but a 0/10 compared to an action platformer on anouther console.... lol
Can't think of a game I've ever played that was even close to a 0/10. Most games bottom out at like 4/10, if that.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
The game just feels like a cheap and in parts incompetently implemented copy of L4D rather than a spiritual successor made by the same studio. The difficulty balancing is completely off, the game director AI is downright broken, the content is just very bland and repetitively designed like especially the "special" infected which are used at such a frequency that they are definitely nothing special anymore, same goes for hordes.
The Indi-Level graphics and bugs don`t help.
This game feels like it`s something that`s fallen out of time. I´d probably have enjoyed it ~2010-2011 as a cheap L4D2 addon, but as a (theoretically) full price retail product this is just not good enough.

For some hours on an existing GP subscription it`s ok but getting even a single month of GP only for the game already seems like a waste imho. And don`t even think about paying 60+$ for this game on steam....

Give me a fucking break. Which indie games?

Probs wait for my british friend to play, she just got a new job so we will probs play when she can, we played A gazillion hours of LFD together and neither were happy with the beta for this. Could they patch stronger bombs and molotovs later on? Also did they do anything to make the special creatures stand out a little more.

Hezekiah

Banned
i cant recommend playing with bots. they are decent, and usually get the job done, but there is a lot of dumb shit they do. and randoms is never the best experience, but you can get lucky with some decent players once in a while. i dont blame you for passing tho.
Had a run playing with bots earlier, but it was a souless experience. Plus I don't think you get the same progression.

Playing with randoms (especially when two or three arent mic'd up) isn't ideal but much better. Having said that we didn't make it to chaper 2 lol. Main concern is how samey will it feel in a few days/weeks from now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom