• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood |OT| Shouldn't this game be Left 4 Dead?

Its really embarrassing.

mWjVVjU.jpg

just tried it for first time. I think i woulda liked it, if the aiming wasn't so terrible. It might actually be worse than Hyperscape or Red Dead 2's aiming at launch.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked the beta, but I found the game less intense and frantic as L4D2. Which was both good and bad. With so many people claiming the final product is far more polished, I am downloading it right now on Steam.

thatJohann

I like the game mostly, but I’m turned off by the tiny font sizes of the deck cards so I refuse to read them so I don’t strain my eyes so much plus I still don’t get what the fuck that whole nonsense is with cards etc. Too over-engineered in my opinion.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I started with crossplay. The very first person I was teamed with was on Xbox, proceeded to cal me "faggot" and "cock sucker" and such. Grown-ass man, too. Thankfully reporting people is quick and seems to also mute them.

This doesn't work for me, it says:
"Matchmaking failed
Need to have 2 or more people in the lobby to start a private match. Change setting in preferences or invite another player."

Yeah I fucked up lol. I tried it tonight while waiting for my friends and figured that out.

Hope it gets patched soon.

Kagey K

Banned
I started with crossplay. The very first person I was teamed with was on Xbox, proceeded to cal me "faggot" and "cock sucker" and such. Grown-ass man, too. Thankfully reporting people is quick and seems to also mute them.
Game says it's recording you right as you start it.

I wonder if it's an in game ban or gets a communications ban on Xbox too.

People are stupid, that's why I keep my mic muted until I get a sense for the ppl in game.

Leyasu

Banned
Shame that it is getting review bombed. I really liked what I played last night.

But, getting some high pings in the game with some friends last night. Anyway to host the game and invite others to join or get choose the server location?

cormack12

Gold Member
Swarm is fucking awful.

Can someone just explain the progress to me? I matchmade into a campaign, and completed all of Act I but none of it is unlocked on my hub?

Erebus

I was planning to wait for a sale but eventually caved in and bought it yesterday because enough of my friends from the L4D days also got it.

So far the campaign is fun and the card system seems interesting though a bit convoluted at first but let's be honest it has none of the L4D charm. The lack of versus mode is also a big omission and it's mind-bogling to me how the studio that was mostly responsible for the L4D series left out the most popular PvP mode.

Shut0wen

I have heard it is not very good. They didn't capture the magic they had with Left 4 Dead.
Your right about the magic but its actually not as bad as some people are making out, my biggest criticism is the versus, theres no campaign versus like on l4d and playing as the swarm is total ass, best way i can describe playing as the swarm is that its a shit version dead space 2 online, personally i find the lack of versus campaign pretty much means the game has 0 replay value after you finish the games campaign on the hardest difficulty, 1 great thing that it does best which l4d sometimes lack is that the games quite difficult and does greatly punish you if you dont work together, even on the easiest difficulty

I couldn't get into it sadly, I clocked out after around hour n bit. so many systems at play was kinda just not in the mood to learn all the bloat in this game.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Swarm is fucking awful.

Can someone just explain the progress to me? I matchmade into a campaign, and completed all of Act I but none of it is unlocked on my hub?
It should be unlocked, thats bullshit. I did all of Act 1 in matchmaking, and even wound up by myself with only bots, and after beating Act 1 I can now start from any point in Act 1 or the beginning of Act 2. I was having a lot of connection issues last night, maybe some thing happened and it just didn’t register that you beat those levels. That would suck though.

and yes swarm is not fun so far. I tried several times in the beta to get into it and several times last night, and either I just suck at it, or it’s just really annoying and stupid LOL. Hopefully I get better at it, but I’m going to be playing campaign for a long time anyway.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Some of these moments where they send waves of specials at you is so fucking annoying. I feel like I’m emptying entire clips into them and it does nothing, and the weak spots just don’t feel that weak, despite have a weak spot damage buff card in play lol. Ugh… can’t see myself ever playing above easy or normal in this game, it’s just too tedious and overwhelming. L4D never felt like this in easy or normal.

I’m still not quite used to the aiming and gunplay tho. Something about it just isn’t clicking, especially as it relates to hitting a special in its weak spot. They need to make some tweaks there so i actually feel like I’m doing something when I hit those weak spots. They just feel like bullet sponges, and the shitty feeling aim controls really make it frustrating.

Assaulty

I feel like there needs to be a difficulty settings between rookie and veteran difficulty. Rookie feels pretty easy but Veteran is waaaaaay to hard to be essentialy a medium difficulty.

All in all I'm enjoying the game, but mostly because I haven't paid for the game and play it through gamepass which I got for next to nothing. I probably wouldn't feel the same way if I'd dropped 60 euro's on it.

Arun1910

It's alright. 7/10 just like the past L4D games for me. You know what you're getting and that's fine and fun, but at it's core it's still the same.

ultrazilla

It's pretty simple really. If you loved the Left 4 Dead games, you'll love Back 4 Blood(aka Left 4 Dead 3).

It's a fun game. Turtlerock IMO has refined the experience and it's a fun rollercoaster ride. Unreal Engine 4 shines here with some
spectacular graphics complimented by tight controls and good gun play. The music fits the game perfectly. The one liners though cliche are
still funny at times and level design is well thought out. The sound design really stands out with ambient screams and howls, gagging and the
concussive footsteps of giant ogres and 8 foot tall mutants walking down the hallway while you're in a room thinking "what the hell is that coming?!"

Once again, Microsoft Gamepass(Ultimate for me) comes through with a quality day 1 release and shows the value of the service.

The long wait for Left 4 Dead 3 Back 4 Blood was well worth the wait. A few decent patches should hopefully fix things up. A few minor annoyances like
bots having pathing issues, become "glitchy/jumping" when you get near them among a few other things will hopefully be fixed quickly.

All in all, a very solid effort from Turtle Rock.

8.5/10

1806652250.jpg

32152578.jpg

185433859.jpg

1121191.jpg

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Some of these moments where they send waves of specials at you is so fucking annoying. I feel like I’m emptying entire clips into them and it does nothing, and the weak spots just don’t feel that weak, despite have a weak spot damage buff card in play lol. Ugh… can’t see myself ever playing above easy or normal in this game, it’s just too tedious and overwhelming. L4D never felt like this in easy or normal.

I’m still not quite used to the aiming and gunplay tho. Something about it just isn’t clicking, especially as it relates to hitting a special in its weak spot. They need to make some tweaks there so i actually feel like I’m doing something when I hit those weak spots. They just feel like bullet sponges, and the shitty feeling aim controls really make it frustrating.

Buy some cards from the supply lines or whatever they're called and front load your custom deck. I have my rifle damage boosted by 30%, penetration of rifle rounds increased, weak spot damage increased by 20%, reload speed of rifles by 30% (all by 20%), and +6 health with regeneration and stamina and modest armor bonuses all loaded into the front of my deck. By the time an act is almost over all of that added with my even more powerful cards makes things a lot easier.

Also grab a tool kit, find some mountable turrets, and learn where to deploy them. On well deployed turret, like say on the deck of the ship facing both spawn points in act one, can turn a frantic ending of a level into a cake walk.

Kev Kev

Buy some cards from the supply lines or whatever they're called and front load your custom deck. I have my rifle damage boosted by 30%, penetration of rifle rounds increased, weak spot damage increased by 20%, reload speed of rifles by 30% (all by 20%), and +6 health with regeneration and stamina and modest armor bonuses all loaded into the front of my deck. By the time an act is almost over all of that added with my even more powerful cards makes things a lot easier.

Also grab a tool kit, find some mountable turrets, and learn where to deploy them. On well deployed turret, like say on the deck of the ship facing both spawn points in act one, can turn a frantic ending of a level into a cake walk.
im doing pretty much all that, but the game just drops 5 or 6 specials on me out of nowhere and its near impossible to dal with them all. and some levels it does it constantly through out the entire map, and im only on easy mode lol.

from what im reading on reddit, a lot of people agree the special are spawning way too often and way too many at one time. people are suggesting less specials and more common ridden to help balance it out and id have to agree with that atm.

hopefully as i collect some of the stronger cards things will balance out. but rn its just overwhelming and not fun when those moments happen.

MiguelItUp

im doing pretty much all that, but the game just drops 5 or 6 specials on me out of nowhere and its near impossible to dal with them all. and some levels it does it constantly through out the entire map, and im only on easy mode lol.

from what im reading on reddit, a lot of people agree the special are spawning way too often and way too many at one time. people are suggesting less specials and more common ridden to help balance it out and id have to agree with that atm.

hopefully as i collect some of the stronger cards things will balance out. but rn its just overwhelming and not fun when those moments happen.
Yeah, that honestly isn't good IMO. It feels incredibly messy too. Like, there's no real reason for it, the game just throws them at you. There's no strategy involved whatsoever. It's like the AI is just throwing whatever it can at you to stop you, rather than making smart calls like it felt like the AI director would do.

A lot of people definitely feel the same way about all that. Along with the inconsistency in difficulty where Recruit feels too easy, and then Veteran feels too hard and there's nothing in-between, lmao.

I'm sure having stronger decks will help to a certain degree, but maybe not in every instance.

SkillUp's review video hits it on the nose for me, personally. It's wild because I feel that our opinions on topics fall in line pretty frequently, and I'm still not used to that at all, lol.

why is there so many special enemies...it's like a constant train!!! makes it less intense honestly
Makes the "special" Ridden feel less "special", right? It's so oversaturated and they feel like much less of a threat and more of an annoyance.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Did the first 3 missions last night on ps5 with crossplay on. Every mission it just partnered me with 1 person and auto filled everyone else as useless bots. Doesn't even give us the option to wait for more people.

ManaByte

Did the first 3 missions last night on ps5 with crossplay on. Every mission it just partnered me with 1 person and auto filled everyone else as useless bots. Doesn't even give us the option to wait for more people.

Yes, that's quick play.

If you want humans, run campaign missions. Matchmaking takes a lot longer though.

Kev Kev

yeah that video articulates most if not all of my complaints with the game very accurately. i may finish off this month of gamepass i bought, finish the the campaign, and put it down for a couple weeks, maybe even a couple months. they need to do some balancing and tweaking before im going to be on board with this game for the next several years. vermintide 2 has changed a lot over the years and im really happy with how it plays now, but its definitely had times where the formula was fucked and i had to stop playing it for a month or two until they fixed it. im sure B4B will be the same, lets just hope the devs are listening and make good decisions on what they tweak

Hugare

How present is the card system?

Cards are always a red flag to me.

Have nightmares with KH: Chains of Memories to this day

Mohonky

Swarm is fucking awful.

Yeop, Swarm is terrible; the best thing about L4D they removed for B4B. I can't believe how bad it is. It's like a tiny slice of campaign map that is way to small made into some stupid wave based 4v4. It makes me wish there were more people playing L4D2 so I could go back and play Versus mode in that :( because Swarm mode is nothing like that. It completely knocked the wind out of this games sails for me.

I'm playing it on Xbox Game Pass on PC; otherwise if I was playing it on anything else where I had to buy the game, I'd be getting a refund.

I do love the single player campaign, but like you, I've completed every chapter at some point now multiple times but can't get to Act 2......

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
How present is the card system?

Cards are always a red flag to me.

Have nightmares with KH: Chains of Memories to this day

It's not too much of an issue.

At the start of each campaign level, you get to pick some cards. The first card you will be asked to pick are just CPU. So they will ask you to pick what modifier (debuff) you want on the level (e.g. zombies wear armour, crows are everywhere, snitches alert the horde even when dead).

The second part is you get to pick some of your own cards to buff you. These can be like +10% team ammo capacity, 20% stamina, +5% bullet damage etc. These cards are drawn from a deck you assemble in the base. So the idea is you create a deck called Hugare's PvE deck. Then you select 25 of your 50 or so cards that are your favourite to be in that deck. So for example you might leave out stuff that you will never need in the rotation (+10% melee if you don't like melee for example).

That way, you will always (or usually) be getting a few cards that will help you. After each level you earn supply points. Then you go the supply lines and can unlock new cards, cosmetics etc from there. Then you can go back and review your deck each time, making it stronger - maybe swap out that 20% stamina for another 10% bullet damage card, then you have 2/25 chance of drawing a +dmg modifier.

manfestival

Played for like 1 hourish with some buddies. I believe we stopped after we unlocked the other people. We had fun. Our complaints mirror many of those that are already stated here. My friends were impressed with the performance and I do think FSR was really beneficial in getting the game to to perform so well on PC for those with lesser hardware. Will probably have some more solid opinions on the game when I commit more time to it. Though I do want to echo that the special ridden spawn rate is just annoying. Also as another stated, I wish there was some in between from recruit to veteran. We started off on veteran and got wiped hard. Switched to recruit and it was beyond easy.

TheMan

On PC, anyone else have trouble matchmaking when trying to start their own campaign? Joining someone else's run means you play out of order, and it doesn't seem to unlock progression for your own profile either...

Last edited:

Kev Kev

On PC, anyone else have trouble matchmaking when trying to start their own campaign? Joining someone else's run means you play out of order, and it doesn't seem to unlock progression for your own profile either...
im having the same problem on console. my "conspiracy theory" is that they want people to just do quick match, so they throttle starting your own game. but i dunno... its annoying tho for sure bc i want to play the levels in order but i wind up settling for a quick match bc it just wont start, which could potentially put me in the middle of a level that i havent played yet

they need to at least allow us to start with bots, then people can join in as we go.

and ya know somethin, its really fucking stupid all the limitations theyve put on the game just to encourage people play online together. first, playing single player earns you nothing and is essentially useless, and now we cant even start our own match, lol whats next? so i guess thats why im leaning into my "conspiracy theory" lol. but at the same time the game is brand new and they are probably working some kinks out..... but on the other hand they did two betas and should have already had things ready to go but WHAT THE HELL DO I KNOW M I RITE!?!? 🤡🤡🤡

lol sorry im just tired of games developers getting away with releasing unpolished, half broken shit and gamers just having to deal with it. im really hoping this games cleans up nice in a couple months from now. dont get me wrong, its fun! but it could be so much better. the spamming of special enemies needs to stop ASAP tho. its beyond ridiculous

let me know if you start having better luck starting your own match. im assuming our problems are related despite being on different platforms

Last edited:

ViolentP

In my experience, you have fewer people trying to matchmake a particular section of an act. I never get grouped when I attempt this. Starting a fresh run on a given campaign however matches me up quick.

Top Bottom