• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in 2009, a study finds that women are more hardcore gamers than men.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
ABC News: Women Gamers More Hard-Core Than Men

Picture in your mind a hard-core video gamer, and 27-year-old Christina Winterburn may not be the first person who comes to mind. But Winterburn, a blogger for theGirlGamer.net and a gamer since the age of 6, says she feels no guilt about gaming and that playing video games is one of her favorite activities with her boyfriend.

I am not sure why the percentage of female gamers has increased so much in my lifetime, but it's a welcome trend. Part of it may be that while not many females can compete with their male peers in physical (strength/speed) contests, mental and reflex-based contests offer a pretty level playing field.

please update meme

cd3.jpg

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Setting aside the fact that gender has nothing to do with how hardcore one is at anything. Women can absolutely be more hardcore gamers than men (and plenty are). It depends on the individual, not on some abstract statistic.

That being said, this study is the typical case of a completely ignorant approach to a field of research that one knows nothing about, and a completely ignorant approach by mainstream media to reporting about video games (which is a field they know nothing at all about).

This study is extremely flawed as it takes into consideration a SINGLE game. And not only that. It considers only a rather unpopular MMORPG, which makes it a limited case study within what is already a skewed niche. No one with an ounce of brains in the skull would consider Everquest II representative of MMORPGs as a whole, let alone a massive and varied environment as gaming. It has NO parameter that makes it an ideal representation of either of those fields.

This was likely a case of bored researchers that know zero of the field study that got access to the data from a game they knew zero about, and thought "oh! It's a game! it must be representative of all games! We can use this to earn our wage for this semester since gaming is a popular topic. Hurray!"

Considering a single game for this kind of study is silly, because different games cater to different crowds. For instance, Everquest II is known for its very comprehensive and engaging housing system, which is one of the very few things for which people still play it.

Consider different games or even different MMOs, and you'll get entirely different results, likely swinging both ways. So, besides the fact that making this kind of study is silly to begin with, basing it on a single arbitrarily picked game is the climax of ignorance.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
I mean.. Yeah? It depends on the lady obviously, but I'd say of the women I've been with, three of them have been into games. And they all just really got into them. Not like me, I play lots of games all the time, but more like very deeply into one game. Hard core. First was very into jrpgs and would do everything. I mean everything. Stuff I could never be bothered with. Second got hooked on WoW and played it religiously. It ended our relationship. Third is my wife, ane her map in BOTW is completely green, she also found every single korok seed. Insanity.

So yeah. I'm not gonna argue. They do shit I could never do. I don't have the patience.

The study, one of the first of its kind, involved thousands of players of EverQuest II
Also.

Indeed, women now represent 40 percent of the gaming community in the United States
The ordinary people of US of A is known for being dumb, clueless and ignorant.

Also: 2009

Guilty_AI

just so you're wondering, what they call hardcore is the amount of hours per week spent playing games.

Also, from where i'm from, if i started bragging about how many hours i spend on games i'd get a slap in the head and told to go work.

Last edited:

Rykan

These woke sudys are a joke, why dose women have to do the same things men do to be equal to men. Why cant they do whatever they want do do, can't believe what our societies is turning into.
That term didn't even exist when this article came out lol, this is from 2009

ButchCat

It may or may not be true but how do you even quantify that in the first place? Lots of COD/ Fortnite/ FIFA players spend long hrs playing, does that mean they're hardcore too? It's a poor metric.

The study was based on one game and that's EverQuest II with a sample size of 7000 people. What about other games or other genres, does the same behaviours translate across, what about other countries? Age groups? Also this article was posted in 2009 and that's donkey's years. Like again it may be true for all intents and purposes and even more so lately but the data is lacking here.

This seems like the op is trolling or like a desperate attempt.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I knew this in High School my girlfriend at the time played the MGS series so much and with such intensity that it honestly scared me

Sgt.Asher

This was likely a case of bored researchers that know zero of the field study that got access to the data from a game they knew zero about, and thought "oh! It's a game! it must be representative of all games! We can use this to earn our wage for this semester since gaming is a popular topic. Hurray!"
Every year at my university a conference was held for students to presents their research. The liberal arts majors were required to do a study in order to graduate. So every year this conference was flooded with phoned-in "studies" that "prove" that what they learned in their critical theory courses was correct.
One just counted the number of woman and number of men in a tv show to prove sexism, for example.
That is pretty much the level of these studies.
There was also the hoax study incident https://areomagazine.com/2018/10/02/academic-grievance-studies-and-the-corruption-of-scholarship/

Aenima

U really need to be hardcore to play Candy Crush for 5 years. :p

Jokes apart women can be as harcore gamers as men, just depends of the type of games. I find women take mmorpgs much more serious than most men, while men take competitive multiplayer games more serious.

Kuranghi

Study seems shite but straight away I always think these sorts of claims are suspect, I mean, have you seen the lengths men go to just to complete random "challenges" that have no clear benefit to their life? Women don't tend to do that nearly as much in my experience.

Kurt Russell practiced that for months just so they could do that shot for real, he could've easily had them use CGI, but thats what men do, stupid pointless shit that makes them look cool. If thats your definition of "Hardcore" then I think men win in that field.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Study seems shite but straight away I always think these sorts of claims are suspect, I mean, have you seen the lengths men go to just to complete random "challenges" that have no clear benefit to their life? Women don't tend to do that nearly as much in my experience.

Kurt Russell practiced that for months just so they could do that shot for real, he could've easily had them use CGI, but thats what men do, stupid pointless shit that makes them look cool. If thats your definition of "Hardcore" then I think men win in that field.

That's nothing.
GhphpBe.jpg

Top Bottom