• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bad news for those wanting ESPN to be $20 (aka me)

BuddyC

That story is a day old.

Meanwhile, EBGames put this up today:

Just announced—only $19.99! ESPN NFL 2K5 takes to the field with a depth and price that can't be beat. Look for the Maximum Tackle system and added online features. Be among the first to get NFL 2K5 with In-Store Pickup!

retardboy

Yeah, old stuff.
We've come to the conclusion that "Retailers have erroneously posted a price",
is different than Retailers have posted an erroneous price. The price is right, they just weren't supposed to post it. EBgames confirms that $19.99 is the official price.

KarishBHR

retardboy said:
Yeah, old stuff.
We've come to the conclusion that "Retailers have erroneously posted a price",
is different than Retailers have posted an erroneous price. The price is right, they just weren't supposed to post it. EBgames confirms that $19.99 is the official price.

Interesting take!

BuddyC

Why does your link point to a forum that's closed to non-members?

You seriously suck at the Internet.

Here's the 1up.com story - notice it was posted yesterday.

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1609509,00.asp

Now with EBGames today saying "Just announced" and putting it on their frontpage and Gamestop also reporting the same price, yea, it's 19.99.

The problem comes from the fact that Take-Two is setting the price, and didn't inform Visual Concepts of it.

jarrod

Banned
Annual sports updates should only be $20 anyway. Hopefully Sega/Rockstar pulls in enough new fans to convince others that $20-$30 sports releases can work.

retardboy

What Sega needs to do is have it at 20 for a couple years. Get people hooked onto your game and then progressivly raise the price.

Grifter

I suck at keeping up to date. What's this Sega/Rockstar business?

I love Sega but I doubt even a $20 football game could keep EA from making money barrels, at least for a few years if ESPN gets awesome.

BuddyC

Grifter said:
I suck at keeping up to date. What's this Sega/Rockstar business?

I love Sega but I doubt even a $20 football game could keep EA from making money barrels, at least for a few years if ESPN gets awesome.

Take-Two entered into an agreement with Sega to co-publish and distribute all of their ESPN titles from now one.

There was also a clause in there that appeared to say "Take-Two can slowly purchase Visual Concepts from us over the next few years."

retardboy

Sega signed a deal with Take Two. Take Two will be the new distributor for the 2k lineup around the world. Sega and Take Two will both have their names as co-publishing, but it's really Sega publishing and Take Two distributing. (Basically the same as the SEGA/THQ deal) They will be distributing the games under their value label.... Forgot what it was called. Global something something something or other.

Grifter

Thanks retard and Buddy. Guess this involves profit-sharing. Didn't Sega already have the means to distribute internationally themselves tho?

retardboy

BuddyChrist83 said:
Take-Two entered into an agreement with Sega to co-publish and distribute all of their ESPN titles from now one.

There was also a clause in there that appeared to say "Take-Two can slowly purchase Visual Concepts from us over the next few years."

The co-publish is only for a couple years. It isn't forever. And the clause that you are talking about basically says that TT can further extend it's participation in Sega's other products in the years to come. Not that they can buy them out.

BuddyC

retardboy said:
The co-publish is only for a couple years. It isn't forever. And the clause that you are talking about basically says that TT can further extend it's participation in Sega's other products in the years to come. Not that they can buy them out.

Ah yes, I can see that now. I got confused with all the buyout rumors.

theo

Contest Winner
well when i went to reserve my copy tonight at eb, the salesperson was trying to get me to reserve madden instead! and he was being all pushy about it too...like ea was paying him to do it. really strange.

GhaleonEB

I see it as a smart strategy, and a good transition strategy to the next gen. Sega will take market share this way, to some degree, and they hope to carry that market into the next generation, where they will make some money.

And it's gotta piss EA off. I also note that ESPN 2005 is the #1 preorder for EB.com for both XBox and PS2. Yikes.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
One of the big announcements needs to be that they're releasing before Madden. The amount of impulse buys they'll get for a pre-Madden release is much higher than after when football fans have their game and are 50 dollars lighter. People will be fiending for a football game by early August, seeing a good one for $20 is too much a temptation even for some staunch Maddenites. Hell I remember some years when I considered buying NFL Xtreme because it came out first by a mile. Thankfull I'm not quite that crazy.

Mrbob

I guess the rumor going is that late August release is a placeholder trick by Take Two/Sega. The rumor goes the game is actually shipping in late July but they don't want to tip their cap too early for EA.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
That rumor is making the rounds. If they're going to do something as crazy as the $20 price point, why not go all out?

robot

Maybe it's $20 because VF:Evo did really well at that price, and it's trying to steal some fans from the madden series? If thats true, hopefully this will become a trend. We're already seeing it with games like Guilty Gear #Reload (xbox).

Thats even if VF: Evo sold well.

Top Bottom