• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Bad" ports of games that you prefer over other recommended releases of said games?

-pepodmc

Neo Member
Art of fighting sega genesis version.

It has worse graphics than the arcade and no zoom, but gameplay wise feels more tight

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Deadly Premonition on the PS3

It manages to run worse than the 360 version while also looking worse

Was my first time experiencing the game, loved it to bits anyway
Honestly, the crappy tech is kinda ehh "part of the experience" .. as weird as it sounds.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'd rather play SMT: Devil Survivor OG version than the "enhanced" one that came on 3DS only to avoid listening to english voices on an anime media

-pepodmc

Neo Member
Genesis versions of MK1,MK2,UMK3.

The fist two games music was remixed by Matt Furniss, and for me, it sounds leagues better than the arcade. Not in sound quality obviously but in music composition and melody. Plus both run at 60 fps, not at 53 fps garbage like in arcades. The same with umk3 (fps)

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
GBA Doom

not my image but awesome said:
IMG_6290.jpg.jpg.9abdc15bf38be48d303fe4efe31769a0.jpg

Actually, most ports on the GBA.

stranno

I do not prefer it over the regular free-roaming versions, but The Amazing Spider-Man on Wii has some exclusive levels and they're actually pretty cool. It's better than the low-performance tearing-party version of the main game for the Wii U, that's for sure.

gQBFccE.gif

James Cameron's Avatar for phones (Nokia HD, Android and iOS) is a great game. Again, not better than the wonderful game for Windows, 360 and PS3 and hardly a "port", but it is quite good. Probably the best Spanish mobile game of all time (developed by Gameloft Barcelona).

awq97Yv.gif

Transport Tycoon (3D in Japan). It is not better than Transport Tycoon Deluxe or OpenTTD, of course, but the PS exclusive 3D mode is a-mazing. I would be a dream to see something like this in OTTD.

QdErGKO.gif

Last edited:

Hoddi

I suppose the PC port of RE4 counts here. When I played it back in 2007/2008 then the modding scene had effectively turned it into a modern game.

I admittedly played it with a controller though.

Hoddi

Commando has its own C64 charm. And a soundtrack that kills the arcade.

This is the recent special edition that was released. Is that a record for a game update? Lol.

Mentioning C64 ports is almost cheating lol. I'd pick the C64 version over almost any of its contemporary arcade versions.

That sound chip is still fantastic even to this day. There was a minor controversy some years ago when Timbaland stole C64 music for (I think) Nelly Furtado and I can't even blame him.

15-resident-evil-deadly-silence-2006_g1be.jpg

It was severely downgraded, but who said I gave a shit? I love RE1, and many of the classic games for that matter. And there I was, playing it on my DS fifteen years ago. I didn't care at all. If I had a PSP maybe I would care, but I didn't. Had tons of fun with this one.

MGS3D comes to mind. Much better, and needed update to the, gameplay
This is a great example. I haven't played the full game on the 3DS but I played the demo. I was flabbergasted because I expected it to be such a severy reduced in quality port that I thought I would play 3 minutes and then stopped and delete it. I played it to its entirety. That was an unexpected surprise and I still plan on playing it someday.

Mentioning C64 ports is almost cheating lol. I'd pick the C64 version over almost any of its contemporary arcade versions.

That sound chip is still fantastic even to this day. There was a minor controversy some years ago when Timbaland stole C64 music for (I think) Nelly Furtado and I can't even blame him.

Great thing about a C64 game was if the game was shit (Comic Bakery) the soundtrack would at least be fantastic.

MAtgS

Ghostbusters, Sonic Unleashed, and Force Unleashed on Wii. Ghostbusters had co-op and using the Wiimote like a Proton pack. SU had less filler, better werehog levels, and a less shitty Eggman Land. Force was basically the closest we got to wii lightsabers and 1 of the few times Mara Jade appeared outside of the books.

Dragon Quest 11 definitive edition. Japanese dub is a game changer for me and the graphics can be tweaked to mitigate the ridiculous Switch graphics.

Still Square was lazy for their big tent pole franchise.

Drew1440

Driver on the PSone, even though it had a PC port that was capable of running in a higher resolution and framerate, they changed the music, the cop voices and the PlayStation cars look better imo.
PlayStation WipEout also had better particle effects and would do echo sound effects when you entered a tunnel, which the PC and Saturn versions lacked.

I usually fire up Quake on the Saturn every now & again still after all these years. Framerate is a bit naff, but it plays well on the Saturn pad and manages to keep that dark gothic atmosphere of the original PC release well. Hopefully it gets added to the new Quake release as an add-on like Quake64

Doom 3 BGF edition. Fucking love that game. Yea, taking away the flashlight diminished the tension and horror aspect but it plays better and I've played the game so much now it's not scary to me anymore.

Codes 208

Bowsers inside story is better on the 3ds than the original ds. I prefer the newer art style (even though it cut tye frame-rate from 60 to 30, which for this game is completely fine)

CamHostage

Force Unleashed on Wii... Force was basically the closest we got to wii lightsabers and 1 of the few times Mara Jade appeared outside of the books.

I didn't play the Wii version, I know it had some motion control features plus the VS mode that maybe made it interesting, but regardless where you played it, I played the PSP version of that same downport and would take the Krome-developed versions of Force Unleased (Wii, PS2, PSP) a million times over the HD original version by LucasArts.

All of the technology in the HD game made me think I wanted to play it, but the gameplay was miserable; I didn't hate jumping in Krome's game. Despite the compromises in the downport, it still told the story well (really liked the story, and it was one of the first Sam Witwer projects I got to check out,) the physics mechanics were still good and fun to play with (even with only one analog stick on PSP,) graphics were impressive for the platforms, and it was a fun game that didn't bring Krome Studios (makers of Ty the Tasmanian Tiger & Blade Kitten) nearly enough notice for pulling off a better game.

e2BDz8K.jpg

PSP version also has some bonus levels that are just alt-universe side-story but that take you to memorable locales in the Star Wars universe. (Too bad when Ultimate Sith Edition came out, they couldn't also do an Ultimate Sith for Wii and include the PSP-exclusive levels or translate some of the HD DLC to the Krome engine; Sony required extra material for PSP ports but it's a shame that there isn't one definitive version of TFU1 non-HD.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1

Aldynes

Super Turrican on NES, It's a unique version that combines some levels of the first two games, the music kicks ass some of the best chip tunes on the NES, it was made entirely by one guy, the legend Manfred Trenz himself, the gameplay is very good in this version you can jump on ennemies to kill them, invulnerability frames when taking damage, an actual life bar that don't evaporate as soon as you touch an hostile pixel I love this game, it was my favorite game when I was a kid.

Last edited:

intbal

My answer doesn't technically conform to OP's question*, but I figure it's close enough.

I prefer Sudeki on original Xbox over the PC version. There's something about the control and movement on the PC version that's rather unsatisfying to play. And, aside from resolution and aspect ratio, the PC version isn't enhanced in any way over the Xbox version.

(*The Xbox version is the original game. The PC version is the port, which came out a year later.)

yurinka

PS1 Capcom fighting games.

They had less frames and some missing animations due to having less RAM, but to compensate they had extra game modes, extra options and sometimes even some extra (sometimes secret) character plus sometimes other nice extras like artwork galleries and so on. So even if less pretty, they ended being more fun.

Last edited:
The Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters are really really good.
Sure they don't have the bonus content from the GBA or PSP versions but they work in HD screens and otherwise look fantastic. Plus you can give them any font you want.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
C
Not bad but totally superior .. a lot of nes ports are not like the arcade version but alot better.

contra
Rygar
Strider
Bionic commamdo
Double dragon 2

are a few off the top of my head.
Contra on NES was amazing but Strider on NES sucks. The Genesis version was great

Top Bottom