• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur’s Gate 3 launches with very positive reviews (more than 75,000 reviews) atm on Steam PC

nemiroff

Gold Member
Wasn't planning to play this game because I'm not a big turn-based fan. But so tempted to click the buy button anyway..

Topher

Gold Member
Curious about how much this is selling. Hopefully larian will reveal some numbers.

Not numbers, but....

ZEfDR9x.png

Guilty_AI

y
Not numbers, but....

ZEfDR9x.png
Yeah, but i'm curious about actual sales numbers. It should be interesting because this is pc-only for now, whereas other games that got this far were usually multiplatform like Elden Ring and Hogwarts Legacy.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
y

Yeah, but i'm curious about actual sales numbers. It should be interesting because this is pc-only for now, whereas other games that got this far were usually multiplatform like Elden Ring and Hogwarts Legacy.

I'd love to know as well. I have a feeling it has done extremely well based on the top sellers list and it is currently in the top 20 all-time peak players.

Hopefully Larian will reveal some numbers soon.

Senua

Gold Member
Feels great seeing Baldur's Gate 3 succeed and cRPG's thriving again since they've been a foundational genre in PC Gaming. Hope we get to see Planescape Torment 2 or Neverwinter Nights 3.
It brings a tear to my japs eye.

The amount of real time combat I've tolerated in RPGs despite much preferring turn based is unreal.
A pity that not many games offer options in that regard. I only know it from The Fall Last days of Gaia where there were options. Can't remember exatly but I think you could either play it proper turn based or decline any of the stop events and play it quite actiony. I never liked turn based much but adjusting it to my liking was perfect. No stress, but also no boring "waiting for opponents turn".

Wildebeest

Feels great seeing Baldur's Gate 3 succeed and cRPG's thriving again since they've been a foundational genre in PC Gaming. Hope we get to see Planescape Torment 2 or Neverwinter Nights 3.
This is doing well, but how many party based isometric CRPGs do Microsoft have in the dev pipelines after gobbling up the bigger developers in the genre? My guess is zero. Microsoft try so hard to be cool, they will never be cool.

StereoVsn

A pity that not many games offer options in that regard. I only know it from The Fall Last days of Gaia where there were options. Can't remember exatly but I think you could either play it proper turn based or decline any of the stop events and play it quite actiony. I never liked turn based much but adjusting it to my liking was perfect. No stress, but also no boring "waiting for opponents turn".
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous let's you switch between TB and RTwP on the fly. Basically you clean up esy encounters real time and switch to TB for tougher fights. That works really well.

Wildebeest

Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous let's you switch between TB and RTwP on the fly. Basically you clean up esy encounters real time and switch to TB for tougher fights. That works really well.
It only works "really well" if you use TB very sparingly because it is at its core designed as a power gamer RTS with a billion grindy encounters, some of which have ludicrous numbers of individual enemies. You could very easily add 100+ hours to a game that is already incredibly long if you play turn based. Pillars of Eternity Deadfire also added turn based option, but I'm even more hesitant to try that because you are hard locked into turn based mode in a game that was also designed about powergaming real time battles, and they didn't rebalance encounter rate at all.

This is doing well, but how many party based isometric CRPGs do Microsoft have in the dev pipelines after gobbling up the bigger developers in the genre? My guess is zero. Microsoft try so hard to be cool, they will never be cool.
So MS has both inXile and Obsidian which are very familiar with cRPGs, but it looks like these two studios are shifting away from this genre with their upcoming releases (e.g. Obsidian has Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed in dev a the minute while inXile has Clockwork Revolution).

StereoVsn

It only works "really well" if you use TB very sparingly because it is at its core designed as a power gamer RTS with a billion grindy encounters, some of which have ludicrous numbers of individual enemies. You could very easily add 100+ hours to a game that is already incredibly long if you play turn based. Pillars of Eternity Deadfire also added turn based option, but I'm even more hesitant to try that because you are hard locked into turn based mode in a game that was also designed about powergaming real time battles, and they didn't rebalance encounter rate at all.
For Pathfinder WotR, yes, that's the whole point. You clean up large encounters with lower powered monsters on RTwP and then use TB on hard encounters. I played on the Core setting and it worked pretty well.

For Crusader portion I left that on Easy and modded it down even further as I couldn't be added to care about that.

Ginzeen

Banned
InXile and Obsidian tried crpg. Obsidian barely broke even with POE2, even though it was a good game. Josh sawyer said he's taking a break from POE. InXile did wasteland 3 back in 2020. Good reviews, but sales were nothing crazy. I think they will retry crpgs, but it's on the shelf for now.

Ginzeen

Banned
BG3 by far the best RPG of the year this far. Smokes out FF 16 by a tremendous degree. Let's see if Starfield competes with it.

Wildebeest

For Pathfinder WotR, yes, that's the whole point. You clean up large encounters with lower powered monsters on RTwP and then use TB on hard encounters. I played on the Core setting and it worked pretty well.

For Crusader portion I left that on Easy and modded it down even further as I couldn't be added to care about that.
Owlcat designed their Pathfinder games 100% around real time battles. They only put in turn based because people were asking for it, and they could use code from a fan mod to make some extra bucks for not that much extra work.

Ginzeen

Banned
My only gripes with BG3 is no day and night cycle and lackluster character creation system. Everything else is perfect.

There are some issues with Baldur's Gate 3 at launch - the launcher defaulting to DX11 each time, the non-removable version number showing in the game screen and cutscenes (why, oh why?) and the text being too large when played with a controller - but otherwise this seems to be an amazing RPG from the 3.5 hours I've played of the final release so far (plus 10+ hours of the early access version). The amount of depth is staggering, it looks great graphically, it runs great, it sounds great with good music and the voice acting is spot on, the writing and dialogue choices are impressive, the story is interesting, the combat is fun and deep... it's all good stuff.

If I have any criticism of the game, beyond the previously mentioned issues, it's that the game doesn't do a very good job of explaining some of the core mechanics very well. There is a very brief tutorial on the flying ship but once you leave that the game just leaves you to your own devices. Great for people who hate hand-holding in games but not so great for newcomers in my opinion. As an example, I was baffled as to why Gale was apparently crippled with Arcane Hunger and was confused as to what I had to do. Turned out that a certain magical item that was given to him at the camp during the first Long Rest session was meant to be consumed and not worn! Now I know what to look for, I will certainly be paying more attention to the dialogue going forward because I completed missed the significance of this at the time. The game did not really explain what this was. Again, die-hard fans of RPGs will probably love that but it means it could be frustrating for others.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
BG3 by far the best RPG of the year this far. Smokes out FF 16 by a tremendous degree. Let's see if Starfield competes with it.

Yah, BG3 is no doubt the best RPG release so far this year. And Starfield coming soon. Interesting time ahead

StereoVsn

Owlcat designed their Pathfinder games 100% around real time battles. They only put in turn based because people were asking for it, and they could use code from a fan mod to make some extra bucks for not that much extra work.
That was for the first game. WotR improved things and (IMO) a lot of the tougher encounters worked really well with it.

Buff up real time, initiate combat in TB, and it works out quite well. Yes, BG3 TB is better. Doesn't meant WotR is bad with TB mode (on tougher encounters).

I would still highly recommend WotR. In certain aspects, mainly the systems, I like it better vs BG3. The latter though takes the cake in QoL, immersion and so on.

That was for the first game. WotR improved things and (IMO) a lot of the tougher encounters worked really well with it.

Buff up real time, initiate combat in TB, and it works out quite well. Yes, BG3 TB is better. Doesn't meant WotR is bad with TB mode (on tougher encounters).

I would still highly recommend WotR. In certain aspects, mainly the systems, I like it better vs BG3. The latter though takes the cake in QoL, immersion and so on.
I played WOTR entirely on TB. Because I hate RTWP. And had a great time. Tastes vary.

Catphish

This whole story makes me incredibly happy:
- big budget turn-based game;
- revives the Baldur’s Gate franchise, against all odds considering how old BG2 is;
- large commercial and critical success, at least on PC so far.

Turn-based is far from dead it seems.
I seriously hope this is a catalyst for a rebirth of the genre.

Catphish

My only gripes with BG3 is no day and night cycle and lackluster character creation system. Everything else is perfect.
Yeah, not too keen on the character creator. Far too few faces and body types. It barely passes as adequate.

But I do love everything else. Especially the combat sound and visual effects. Very eye-pleasing and punchy.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Curious about how much this is selling. Hopefully larian will reveal some numbers.
Will be hard to tell. Given some bought it at Early Access launch. Should have some longevity with all the replayability. More if they do a create your own campaign mode(more like a level creator) like they did for Divinity 2.

Top Bottom