• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 Release Date Planned for 2023

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In a new conversation with Eurogamer, Larian's creative director of Baldur's Gate 3, Swen Vincke, said that the game will likely continue to be available in early access throughout all of 2022. As such, this means that the 1.0 launch of the game will then end up coming about in 2023 if this plan remains firm. "We think we're in our last year of development," Vincke said plainly. "We do still think we have a year of development ahead of us, so it's unlikely it will be this year [2022]. But we are at the end, so we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now. We have a pretty concrete plan."

Speaking more to those plans in a general sense, Larian went on the record in an accompanying press release to clearly state that 2023 is the launch window for the 1.0 iteration of Baldur's Gate 3. "A ton of progress has been made towards that quality bar over the past year in Early Access, but we know many players are waiting for an actual date. That date will come when we're even closer to meeting our goal, but right now our expectation is that Baldur's Gate 3 will be released out of Early Access in 2023," the studio said.

I wonder if I would like this. I loved the interplay bg dark alliance games as a pre teen. However my tastes have changed. I recently went back and I didn't like it. Felt like cheap quick deaths.

I'm sure co op with my friend played a part in my enjoyment. Also the loot.

I heard these games are a lot different than the dark alliance games. So I may like these. I'll watch some videos before I buy.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I wonder if I would like this. I loved the interplay bg dark alliance games as a pre teen. However my tastes have changed. I recently went back and I didn't like it. Felt like cheap quick deaths.

I'm sure co op with my friend played a part in my enjoyment. Also the loot.

I heard these games are a lot different than the dark alliance games. So I may like these. I'll watch some videos before I buy.
?????????

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a full blown turn-based RPG. It’s a successor to games released on PC 20 years ago.

Fools idol

Banned
If it has the Divinity battle system I won't buy this game. I prefer the Baldurs Gate 1&2 one.

Nothing like Divinity. It's based on the system the original games were based on with dice rolls and what not.

I've only played a bit of early access but it's so fucking good - decided to wait for the full release.

amigastar

Nothing like Divinity. It's based on the system the original games were based on with dice rolls and what not.

I've only played a bit of early access but it's so fucking good - decided to wait for the full release.
Hmm, i've played it for a rather short amount but it was a mix between 5th editon and Divinity.

Fools idol

Banned
Hmm, i've played it for a rather short amount but it was a mix between 5th editon and Divinity.
wut? are we talking about mechanics here or something else, cause I'm confused. Divinity has no dice rolls or anything of the sort. I assume he means real time with pause then, if so, nope. It's turn based.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Divinity has no dice rolls or anything of the sort.

Aside from, you know, the chance to hit dice rolls. And the crit ones, and the damage ones, and the out-of-combat ones.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I ain't even mad. There's a lot of stuff I want to play this year and I know this game would take up at least 100 hours.

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
For those who have played the EA... Should I beat the previous two games? I played them in the past, know a few characters and places, but never beat them.

Salz01

It makes me wonder why they charge full price for early access. I mean it won’t go on discount for another two years then, theoretically.

amigastar

For those who have played the EA... Should I beat the previous two games? I played them in the past, know a few characters and places, but never beat them.
Do you have experience with cRpgs (Pillars of Eternity etc.)? Because Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 plays so very different from BG3 that its hard to tell.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Do you have experience with cRpgs (Pillars of Eternity etc.)? Because Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 plays so very different from BG3 that its hard to tell.
Yep. I was asking in a story sense. Should I beat 1 and 2 to understand 3? Or is it a new story?

amigastar

Yep. I was asking in a story sense. Should I beat 1 and 2 to understand 3? Or is it a new story?
All i know is that BG3 will take place about 100 years after BG2 and will be not be directly linked to the old Baldurs Gates from what i've heard.

Anyways, i'm really curious how Baldurs Gate City will be represented by Larian Studios.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

If it has the Divinity battle system I won't buy this game. I prefer the Baldurs Gate 1&2 one.

This has almost nothing to do with the first two games. It's a successor to BG2 in lore only, and it's a setting that's been through massive revisions, retcons and additions since it was used in the original BG games. You can just go read a wiki entry on the main plot points of the old game, and you're set.

Gameplay wise? First two games used a modified 2nd edition ruleset. This one uses a weird mainstream'd 5e one with a thin layer of Divinity sprinkled on top. Absolute night and day. You'd be better served playing the Divinity: OS games.

If you want a BG2-esque game: PoE I & II and the Pathfinder games are around, but they haven't been simplified for accessibility so prepare to have to learn some shit.

?????????

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a full blown turn-based RPG. It’s a successor to games released on PC 20 years ago.
ignore things I said when I was drunk

backing up homer simpson GIF

Sentenza

So far the game has parts that are genuinely impressive and put it potentially at the absolute peak of its genre.
Too bad it's also occasionally plagued by a certain number of HIGHLY questionable design decisions from Larian that undermine its value.

Top Bottom