• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 - The Game Awards Trailer (August 2023)

bender

What time is it?
So far it's really good. It was kind of harsh in the original beta but a lot has changed since then. My favorite part is the last area they added I won't mention where as it's a spoiler location.

Good to hear. I bounced off of D:OS and D:OS2 pretty quickly because the writing just didn't click with me. Shadows of Amn holds a very, very special place in my heart so I'm rather skeptical.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
How is the writing?

If you're a fan of the Forgotten Realms novels and supplementals you'll probably find some things to like about the story and the way they tell it. It's so full of voice acting and dynamic situations that it's difficult to compare to previous BG entries, but I found it good-not-great. They lean a little too heavily on each NPC having extreme aspects of their personalities to the point of cliche.

GenericUser

I just pray to god that this game won't be as hard as the divinity games. Please make is doable for regular dumbasses like myself.
Other then that, the trailer really surprised me in a positive way. The early access was way to "divinity-like" for me in terms of graphics but the trailer showed some stuff that was really impressive and gives me hope.

A good, proper Baldurs Gate 3 in a big world and really creative fantasy environments would be super cool. Even with turn based combat.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

I just pray to god that this game won't be as hard as the divinity games. Please make is doable for regular dumbasses like myself.
Other then that, the trailer really surprised me in a positive way. The early access was way to "divinity-like" for me in terms of graphics but the trailer showed some stuff that was really impressive and give me hope.

A good, proper Baldurs Gate 3 in a big world and really creative fantasy environments would be super cool. Even with turn based combat.
Larian usually have difficulty modes in their games and the easy mode is accessible as fuck, if their recent Divinity games are anything to go by,

BadBurger

Other then that, the trailer really surprised me in a positive way. The early access was way to "divinity-like" for me in terms of graphics but the trailer showed some stuff that was really impressive and give me hope.

The easy setting is very easy, I can confirm, and they added a "loaded dice" option and make copious use of roll bonuses as early into the beta it became clear they were having issues with generating truly random dice rolls.

In short, you can configure the game settings to face roll for the most part. At least as it stands now with its current updates.

GenericUser

Larian usually have difficulty modes in their games and the easy mode is accessible as fuck, if their recent Divinity games are anything to go by,
That is exactly the problem. There is no middle ground in their difficulty settings. It's not that I don't want a good challenge, I finished Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 on normal difficulty and I thoroughly enjoyed them. But the divinity games only left me with the choice between "way too easy" and "way too hard". That kinda killed them for me.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

That is exactly the problem. There is no middle ground in their difficulty settings. It's not that I don't want a good challenge, I finished Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 on normal difficulty and I thoroughly enjoyed them. But the divinity games only left me with the choice between "way too easy" and "way too hard". That kinda killed them for me.
Well, Divinity series relied heavily on crafting and environmental control/damage. Hopefully BG3 stays closer to the tabletop's roots.

april6e

I'm happy the full release is finally coming out so I can finally play it but its coming out so late into the year. I was expecting early summer with how insanely long this game has been in early access.

Last edited:

BadBurger

I'm happy the full release is finally coming out so I can finally play it but its coming out so late into the year. I was expecting early summer with how insanely long this game has been in early access.

Yea, people like to say that it's only been in early access for two years. First, that's a long time for early access. Second, given what they had ready from day one with early access and how development works, they were probably working on this game in pre-dev, design document perspective back in 2017 or early 2018 and began true development shortly thereafter. So we're actually looking at at least three years of nuts and bolts dev time now - over four years being a more reasonable estimation.

I'll be honest, I am looking forward to the release, but given what we have after four-ish years, I am expecting a lot of issues come August and Larian having to rapidly push patch after patch in the first few months to whip it into an acceptable launch state.

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
my only complaint is that the art style is too 'bright and positive' if you know what I mean. BG2 had much darker, grittier feel.

Very much like Diablo 3 following on from Diablo 2 visually.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Probably a year or so later. They really struggled to get this out, no way they could release like 4 versions at the same time.

I. . .haven't heard anything about a "struggle" beyond those experienced by all developers during the first year of COVID. They have pretty steadily been putting out content updates and refining the experience. This is also clearly their biggest game so far, including a wildly overhauled game engine. It'll be a little under three years that this game will have been in EA - which I largely took as a slice of the game to aid continued development.

TLDR: There's nothing that screams "troubled" about this process at all, other than the EA being longer than what it was for DOS2.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
No console versions? 😫
At least with their DOS games, they came out a year later to consoles along with massive overhauls included in the "Definitive Edition" they push out to the PC around the same time. However, I wonder what delays may be in store due to the entire Stadia fiasco and if they were locked from at least working on console versions in the background.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Can't wait to try this one out fter having so much fun playing BGII earlier this year. I don't know if it'll be as good as that one, but at least it looks more than fine based on that trailer.

Sentenza

I've been in Early Access for this game for two full years at this point (in fact even more, since I bought in at launch, October 6th 2020) and saying I have conflicting feelings about the game is putting it mildly.

There are parts of it that make me think it will dwarf in ambition and complexity pretty much any other party-based CRPG that came before it, and at the same times there are some BAFFLING design decisions and questionable "Larianisms" in its core design that are so atrociously puzzling they almost feel purposefully designed to make the game worse.
They chose to base the system on D&D 5th edition but their implementation of the reaction system is DREADFUL (mostly automated and leaving hardly any control to the player) under the claim that "it wouldn't work in a videogame" while Solasta is giving them lessons on how to implement it properly on a FRACTION of their budget. Same goes for "flying", that in the Larian's title consists just in floating over a patch of ground and doing long jumps being completely hittable in melee.

Not to mention Swen Vincke seems to think that broken systems that are incredibly easy to leverage and exploit are a fucking riot and something that players love and make them "feel smart", despise the fact that most of their own user base have been complaining about these exploits on the official forum for two years.
And the Larian trademark "chain system" to control the whole party is utter shit and a decisive step back over the traditional "RTS-controls" used in BG1, BG2, POE 1 and 2, Pathfinder, WotR, etc under any possible metric when ergonomics are involved.

Even the visuals are uneven as hell. Some parts of it are jaw-dropping (especially considering it's supposed to be an isometric/top down game for the most part), some feel almost amateurish or a complete stylistic mismatch with the rest (i.e. most of the cinematics marking key moments).

For instance the game manages to have at the same time a pseudo-realistic representation of D&D creatures and characters and then tie them to some horrendously "cartoony" animations that seem to be lifted directly from a Roadrunner/Wil E. Coyote gag.
Few examples:
- the "hulk stomp" every character does on a jump or the "Super Sayan charge" before sprinting.
- the "floaty" animation in an ample arc when falling rather than having the effect being physically believable (plunging down vertically and fast).
- the fact that projectile weapons (bows and crossbows) lack any sense of speed and power and arrows/bolts trace comically "floppy" arcs mid-air and fly as if they were wet noodles (see pic).

32E6358C4EAA370E9CEA7C023D2E7A9F6C0DC018

Last edited:

Zug

Looks really bad technically, and I personally don't like the art style either.
Gotta concur. I'm a die hard BG/"Infinity engine games" fan and I kinda like DoS2 for what it was, but I'm not feeling this one. Combat looks worse than Solasta, graphics look kinda tasteless/gaudy and not technically impressive, the writing is definitely NOT Larian's forte, and I'm not feeling the Forgotten Realms vibes at all from all the trailers, more like some kind of over the top fantasy fanfic.
First impressions 2y ago felt so off anyway that at this point I shouldn't wait for anything merely aligned with my expectations for a Baldur's Gate 3.

Haven’t been keeping up with the game, I thought 1.0 came out a couple months ago.

When they started showing it I was hoping for a console release, guess not.

Doom85

Haven’t been keeping up with the game, I thought 1.0 came out a couple months ago.

When they started showing it I was hoping for a console release, guess not.

Apparently the developers have only said it won’t come to last gen consoles. So PS5 and Xbox Series might still get it, and I think it’s likely.

BadBurger

Apparently the developers have only said it won’t come to last gen consoles. So PS5 and Xbox Series might still get it, and I think it’s likely.

The game is pretty taxing on my RTX 3080 when in 4K, even with many settings lowered, despite it not looking like something that should be so demanding (it looks good, just not that good). I could definitely see Larian not bothering with last gen

Hohenheim

2023 will be such an amazing years for games. This one is definitly on my top 5 most anticipated. Have been staying clear of the early access version as I want to go in blind when 1.0 drops.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Looks really bad technically, and I personally don't like the art style either.
How the fuck does the game look bad technically?

It is by far the best graphic in a isometric game to date, maybe the ascent is a lil better but not when it comes to characters rendering.

I'm Not even sure if diablo 4 looks better than this.

Top Bottom