• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai announced that Elden Ring sold 17.5 million units, making it the fastest-selling multi-platform Japanese game of all time

Chiggs

Dragon's Dogma 2 should just be cancelled.

It's already sold well and is a massive success. Selling 40m copies is next level though! It's possible I guess. I just think 30m is the ceiling for elden ring. It won't have the legs to keep selling well over a longer period of time to reach 40m. If anyone deserves it though. Its from software.

Post bookmarked for future fun.

Last edited:
It's already sold well and is a massive success. Selling 40m copies is next level though! It's possible I guess. I just think 30m is the ceiling for elden ring. It won't have the legs to keep selling well over a longer period of time to reach 40m.
I just can't see it. I don't see it having the legs to reach a total of over 40m sold. I could be totally wrong though. We'll see.
Elden ring won't even get anywhere close to the likes of witcher 3 or skyrim. Why would you even think that?
I'm very curious about this. You seem to view Elden Ring very differently than many others and consider it being on the sales level of Witcher 3 and Skyrim an impossibility. A lot of people feel like they are witnessing a new pillar being built next to many other best selling/legendary games but you're still not convinced. I was wondering if you could explain why.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

No way Sony isn't thinking of capitalizing on this new love for the genre with a Bloodborne remaster / PC Port.
I think they are thinking more along the lines of a PS5 sequel and a PS5 Remake to hold people off.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Congrats! And well deserved! I’m not even a big Souls fan but they completely won me over with this game. Hoping it’ll keep on selling, deserves to be talked about like an all time classic. Makes every other game seem small and lack content and replayability.

TonyK

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it sold 15 million units first month and then suddenly stopped.

P.d. Goty of the Gotys.

Pejo

How Dare You Wtf GIF by Sky

There's room for both franchises. This is like a microcosm of console war stupidity. Genre war?

TheMan

Elden Rings is clearly a quality product but it's so hard and obtuse sometimes that frankly I think it's weird that it sold so so well. I'd love to see some stats from From about how people played, how far they got, etc

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to make Elden Ring look like shit. RE Engine with vastly, vastlyyyyyyyyyyyy superior gameplay, combat and bosses. It's going to retroactively make Elden Ring a worse game.

The high sales of Elden Ring are definitely being noticed by publishers. If anything, this just ensures that they're going all in on investing in Dragon's Dogma 2.

Last edited:
Elden Rings is clearly a quality product but it's so hard and obtuse sometimes that frankly I think it's weird that it sold so so well. I'd love to see some stats from From about how people played, how far they got, etc

You could look at the percent of people who got trophies for each boss/ending on PSN and extrapolate that data

I am so sorry that Soldier of Godrick killed you at the very beginning. And I am not very sorry for you not having to use your own brain and explore. Obtuse? That's the whole point of the game lol. To explore and wander of on your own with no hand holding.

I suggest you change your name to "TheSissy" since you are so afraid to explore and the game is so "hard" might be more fitting your persona :p Because your 100% NOT "TheMan" real men would not say such things.

Ok I am done roasting you for now.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I am so sorry that Soldier of Godrick killed you at the very beginning. And I am not very sorry for you not having to use your own brain and explore. Obtuse? That's the whole point of the game lol. To explore and wander of on your own with no hand holding.

I suggest you change your name to "TheSissy" since you are so afraid to explore and the game is so "hard" might be more fitting your persona :p Because TheMan you are not.

Ok i am done roasting you for now.
Women want to be with you, and men want to be you. Your chest hair probably smells like gunpowder and freedom. I bet you can't even get in a public pool without impregnating everyone.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
But to call it obtuse and hard is preposterous.
it isn't obtuse.... but it is hard. that's kind of what makes a souls game
personally i played it for the first time and while i liked it i wasn't that into it, mostly because of the high difficulty. I think i'm gonna delete my current save and go in with a newer, more explorative perspective (my current save is after i just beat margit with a summon, yes i am ashamed of myself)

i've seen the lategame through other peoples playthroughs and it looks amazing, i want to get there

Last edited:
it isn't obtuse.... but it is hard. that's kind of what makes a souls game
personally i played it for the first time and while i liked it i wasn't that into it, mostly because of the high difficulty. I think i'm gonna delete my current save and go in with a newer, more explorative perspective (my current save is after i just beat margit with a summon, yes i am ashamed of myself)

i've seen the lategame through other peoples playthroughs and it looks amazing, i want to get there
Elden Ring is the easiest out of all the Souls games. The amount of tools/weapons/spells you have to beat your opponents with ease is quite diversified. Also, if you are having too much trouble, just go in and grind levels and it makes it a lot easier. Or go do co-op, which makes it trivial.

cmon, you're not wrong, but thats not saying much LMAO.
It does say a lot. Dark Souls 1/Demon Souls were more challenging. Largerly due to still being new and fresh to the mainstream gaming audience. But after Bloodborne and DS3 people got used to it and it grew on people. Elden Ring is essentially Dark Souls 3 Combat with a ton of additions for your arsenal and some new neat little tricks. Build variety is also much larger than previous titles which makes it more accessible and magic is downright broken and can make certain bosses if not all of them a joke.

Souls games are as hard as you make it to be for yourself. If you are not good at understanding animation frames and inviciblity frames and learning the hit boxes and boss's attack patterns then yes you will suck and it will be difficult for you. If you are willing to sit down, observe and learn from your mistakes it wll be a ton easier. Hardest game out of From games is Sekiro, due to how its combat system works and parrying/timing is much more important than in the souls series imo.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I wonder how many of those 17m made it past more than 10% of the game from all platforms.

If Steam achievements are anything to go by I’d say more then half the people that bought the game got far into it.

10% of the game would be an awful lot on PC at least.

Fbh

If only it had super easy mode and tons of handholding and a follow the GPS design philosophy it would have sold 40 mill by now!!!

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like it sold 15 million units first month and then suddenly stopped.

P.d. Goty of the Gotys.

It sold 13.4 mill in its first month.
So yeah it was mostly an absolutely explosive launch. But it has still had some pretty decent legs, an extra 4+ mill in 8 months is still solid, specially if you consider it took Sekiro 16 months to sell 5 million units.

Niche franchise. Oh how the turntables

It still is long-term, it went through a fad phase that's peaking with ER (hence the massive sales wall it's currently crashing into that people are ignoring for some reason) but once the lemmings phase for some gamers is gone they won't be coming back. I expect ER to possibly at max hit 25 million sales LTD. But I may be generous given the amount of active players that are leaving the game that normally wouldn't play a game like it under normal circumstances.

It will go back to being a 3-5M selling series which isn't niche granted but that's probably where it's no inflated numbers actually are.

From Software is also sadly stuck in this souls design type of game and they seem to scared to try anything else anymore which is baffling. A modern newly designed Kings Field or new IP with good marketing could be a worthwhile competitor to FP Wrpgs if they weren't so hesitant.

Gaiff

Kinda disappointing after all the hoo haa saying it has already sold 25-30 million.

Some were saying it will outsell BOTW lol.
That's not out of the realm of possibility at all. Its install base is several times larger than BOTW. 300M+ people can play Elden Ring whereas it's only 114M for BOTW. Elden Ring could very realistically sell 30-40M. TW3 and Skyrim both eclipsed 30M and their numbers were nowhere near as impressive.

sachos

Bring on Elden Ring 2 with visuals similar to Demon's Souls Remake or better now that cross gen stuff is going away.
If they somehow get their tech side together they will be even more untouchable, sadly i dont see them getting that good.
Congrats FromSoft, keeping that classic gaming philosophy alive.

Kilau

Makes me so damn happy to see Japanese games sell well that aren’t just Nintendo or Capcom made.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Elden ring got a boost from the souls games and the claim to that brand genre. The landscapes seem impressive, the combat seems super important but the fascination with difficulty turns it off for me, the fancy menus, and dialog.

Mozzarella

Unlike many western developers.
Fromsoft kept their core vision intact and they kept experimenting with game design choices, and in the end what changed is the gaming community instead, so well done to Fromsoft and lets hope this will be a learning lesson for many developers out there who insist in shoving a side companion in your face who will tell you how to do combat and to solve puzzles literally 2 seconds into the encounters, maybe this will also tell open world developers that you dont need GPS and markers all over the map to tell the player go there. Maybe the games will have a little bit of challenge and not be piss easy, maybe now instead of neglecting level design into making clues and visual cues for the lowest newbiest player out there, they will instead make some interesting deep and rich levels with multiple paths and secrets like they used to do in the older days.
But maybe im also doing what they call wishful thinking.

Top Bottom