• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandwidth Management Patent by Sony

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA

Playstation Experience December?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The electronics giant recently filed a patent for a system designed to minimize lag and data loss while streaming to mobile devices.

Sony’s patent is one of several meant to improve the experience of cloud gaming in general and 5G streaming in particular. As the patent document explains, there are various problems unique to mobile connections. Connection speed decreases the further users get from the nearest wireless tower, and there may be momentary loss or slowing of connection when transitioning from one wireless tower to another. While these slowdowns may appear small, they can be significant considering the amount of data that cloud gaming requires. There’s also the issue of data loss should the user go out of range, enter a tunnel, or otherwise lose their internet connection. It can also be difficult for players to know when they are entering an outage zone.

Sony’s latest cloud gaming patent describes a “Preemptive Loss Correction Module” intended to mitigate these issues. The module in question is a system within the more extensive cloud gaming network that attempts to predict potential connection issues and take steps to minimize their effect on the player’s gaming experience. This includes the Module collecting data to develop an outage map. Sony’s network will then check the user’s location to determine if they’re likely to encounter a slowdown or loss of connection.

The patent then describes how the system can use this early warning to mitigate data loss and latency issues by various means. These include notifying the player of potential network problems and adjusting the game’s performance on the fly to account for expected lag. Such adjustments may consist of reducing the signal’s bandwidth to increase the effective speed of the connection. In more severe cases, the Preemptive Loss Correction Module can pause the player's game until it finds a more stable connection. Sony’s system will also automatically save the player’s game if a dropped connection seems likely.

There is only so much the Loss Correction Module can manage. Sony’s patent doesn’t make the claim that it will prevent lost connections, and there’s little Sony can do to upgrade the existing infrastructure directly. However, assuming Sony’s system works as intended, it could significantly improve the performance of games streamed to mobile devices.

onesvenus

The electronics giant recently filed a patent for a system designed to minimize lag and data loss while streaming to mobile devices.

Sony’s patent is one of several meant to improve the experience of cloud gaming in general and 5G streaming in particular. As the patent document explains, there are various problems unique to mobile connections. Connection speed decreases the further users get from the nearest wireless tower, and there may be momentary loss or slowing of connection when transitioning from one wireless tower to another. While these slowdowns may appear small, they can be significant considering the amount of data that cloud gaming requires. There’s also the issue of data loss should the user go out of range, enter a tunnel, or otherwise lose their internet connection. It can also be difficult for players to know when they are entering an outage zone.

Sony’s latest cloud gaming patent describes a “Preemptive Loss Correction Module” intended to mitigate these issues. The module in question is a system within the more extensive cloud gaming network that attempts to predict potential connection issues and take steps to minimize their effect on the player’s gaming experience. This includes the Module collecting data to develop an outage map. Sony’s network will then check the user’s location to determine if they’re likely to encounter a slowdown or loss of connection.

The patent then describes how the system can use this early warning to mitigate data loss and latency issues by various means. These include notifying the player of potential network problems and adjusting the game’s performance on the fly to account for expected lag. Such adjustments may consist of reducing the signal’s bandwidth to increase the effective speed of the connection. In more severe cases, the Preemptive Loss Correction Module can pause the player's game until it finds a more stable connection. Sony’s system will also automatically save the player’s game if a dropped connection seems likely.

There is only so much the Loss Correction Module can manage. Sony’s patent doesn’t make the claim that it will prevent lost connections, and there’s little Sony can do to upgrade the existing infrastructure directly. However, assuming Sony’s system works as intended, it could significantly improve the performance of games streamed to mobile devices.
This sounds interesting but I can't really see them managing a world map of places where connection drops occurs

Shmunter

Idiotically the console has no qos management. if your downloads are running full tilt as they do for me, good luck playing online multi without lag. I need to manually pause.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Idiotically the console has no qos management. if your downloads are running full tilt as they do for me, good luck playing online multi without lag. I need to manually pause.
Weird I never experienced those issues, what's your internet speed?

tusharngf

why do i feel like sony is doing only patents rather than doing something for console. For ex why not create hibernate and wake up feature for ps5.

$10 for lag reduction? :messenger_beaming:

U.S. patent system needs a serious overhaul - companies basically trolling each other to try and own everything. Someone probably has a patent on breathing in, somewhere in the U.S. because a lawyer thinks they can run up their billable hours and get a settlement just by being a persistent dick. Which sadly, mostly works.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is this something handled by your router or the console?

I too have this issue. If my PS5 is downloading something, i cannot browse the internet on my PC, or watch youtube on my tv. But if i download something from Steam or even Gamepass, i can still use my PC to browse and even watch youtube and my kids can watch netflix. The download speed adjusts itself to allow other users on the network enough bandwidth to access their shows.

Does the PS5 not do this?

Shmunter

Is this something handled by your router or the console?

I too have this issue. If my PS5 is downloading something, i cannot browse the internet on my PC, or watch youtube on my tv. But if i download something from Steam or even Gamepass, i can still use my PC to browse and even watch youtube and my kids can watch netflix. The download speed adjusts itself to allow other users on the network enough bandwidth to access their shows.

Does the PS5 not do this?
It is quite possible for a router to prioritise media over other data, but that should include PS5 also in that case.

But outside of that PS5 is dumb to itself where it does not throttle downloads when mp is started - it’s completely oblivious to its own functions and priority.. Even Xbox 360 did this shit properLy.

Top Bottom