• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barbie Live-Action Movie Hires Ryan Gosling To Play Ken

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Warner Bros.' live-action Barbie movie, which will star Margot Robbie as the iconic Mattel doll, has found its Ken in the form of Ryan Gosling.​

margot-robbie-in-talks-for-quentin-tarantinos-next-movie_9z2y.jpg

Ryan Gosling (Blade Runner 2049, The Place Beyond the Pines) has now signed on to co-star in Warner Bros. live-action movie.
Greta Gerwig officially signed on to direct the project earlier this year, with The Suicide Squad star Margot Robbie set to breath life into the iconic fashion doll of the title.
Gerwig also co-wrote the script with Noah Baumbach (The Meyerowitz Stories).

Gosling is said to have passed on the role initially, but the studio "remained persistent with him being their only choice," and he ultimately entered negotiations when an opening is his schedule came about.
At one point, Amy Schumer was on board to play Barbie in what was said to "a contemporary spin with an emphasis on feminism and identity," but the I Feel Pretty actress was forced to drop out due to a scheduling conflict.
TDKR's Anne Hathaway was reportedly set to replace her before Robbie ended up nabbing the role.

Whether the premise of the movie will stay the same remains to be seen, but since Robbie more closely resembles the classic interpretation of Barbie, there's a good chance the original pitch has been reworked.
Robbie will also produce under her LuckyChap Entertainment banner. Shooting is scheduled to begin early next year.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Amy Schumer as Barbie? ROFL. I think the scheduling conflict was an exec googling the box office numbers for every film that tried to take a "fresh feminist and body positivity," take and consulting his Hollywood Elite Illuminati psychic who told him "Hot girls make money, not hot girls don't,"

With how fucking retarded Barbie dolls are these days I'm not even surprised Amy Schumer was an option. Also surprised Mattel hasn't introduced death bed Barbie yet.

Margot Robbie was hot before she was in a few too many movies playing a mentally unstable tweaker.

She looked amazing in Wolf of Wall Street, but this movie is gonna have to be rated a hard R or have some good outfits to get me to watch lol

jason10mm

Gold Member
Well, that's about what I would expect.

Definitely not a story about how hard work, high ideals, accepting nothing less than perfection, and the determination to succeed throughout adversity can reward you with success.

jason10mm

Gold Member
About the only way I see this film going is a Real Housewives of Beverly Hills type spoof.

I feel like Toy Story took Ken and Barbie as far as they can go.

20cent

Banned
Between the parodies, the music videos, the cartoons, the cameos, etc I feel like I've seen that movie 28 times already

I hope they go with humour galore, I'm totally going to have to watch this with my daughter at some point. Hope it's as good as Toy Story's take -

tumblr_ou6cqfn3ms1st0dt8o2_500.gif

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'll watch anything with margot robbie and, after blade runner, ryan gosling...even a fucking barbie movie! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

DKehoe

I wouldn't normally care about a Barbie film. But I really liked Gerwig's Little Women so maybe this will be good.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Where is the gritty hard R Barbie reboot we've all secretly been wanting?

Crack whore Barbie and stripper Skipper have to escape the control of Pimp daddy Ken and realize their destiny as crime lords. Bestest girls toy EVER!

MayauMiao

Is this for real? :messenger_hushed:

Yes but fortunately due to her "scheduling conflicts", she had to "drop out".

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Who wants to have a mishapen blonde, personality void, plastic looking, two dimensional, unappealing character starring in a movie?

Amy Schumer's appeal remains a mystery.

TheMan

I’ve watched the CG cartoon with my kids and it’s actually kind of funny and fairly self aware. Not as excruciating as you would think. I suspect the movie will be kind of like those Brady bunch movies from the 90s, so I’ll keep an eye out

DKehoe

I liked Greta Gerwig's adaptation of Little Women. So if this is what she wants to do next then I'm curious to see what she does with it.

Vaelka

Ryan Gosling's first look as Ken:

ryan-gosling-como-ken-look-en-la-pelicula-de-barbie.jpg

face-cringe.gif

Oversexualizing men = fine.

Even slight sexualization with women = the apocalypse is upon us, when will women stop being oppressed!?

Who wants to have a mishapen blonde, personality void, plastic looking, two dimensional, unappealing character starring in a movie?

Amy Schumer's appeal remains a mystery.

Tbh you're basically describing every action hero ever too.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I am serious. One thing is making a stupid movie about a doll another is marking that movie targeting to kids. Well maybe in America that happens, from the docs I had watch recently your people are very obsessed to talk about "genderssss" to kids who are just kids... meanwhile all of you get "protect the children" if there is nudity in old art... so weird.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I am serious. One thing is making a stupid movie about a doll another is marking that movie targeting to kids. Well maybe in America that happens, from the docs I had watch recently your people are very obsessed to talk about "genderssss" to kids who are just kids... meanwhile all of you get "protect the children" if there is nudity in old art... so weird.
The movie is about one of the most popular children's toys in history. Kids are going to want to see it. Ignorant parents will take them.

Zeroing

Banned
The movie is about one of the most popular children's toys in history. Kids are going to want to see it. Ignorant parents will take them.
Blame the stupid parents who do not know how to take care of them. They are either super protective or just shove them an iPad for them to be quiet.

Only in English speaking countries I see this.. everyone/everything needs to protect my kid, expect me - the parent...
reminds me of that old case of some stupid parents who left their 3 kids alone in a room and went for dinner... then blamed everyone when something bad happened.

Top Bottom