• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bastion vs Hades

Bastion is better, right?

• Yeah, Bastion is better

• No, I enjoy doing the same things over and over again(aka Hades is better)

• Funny choice(put your own joke in here)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hudo

Gold Member
Hm. I think they're not really that comparable. Hades is very much a roguelike game. Bastion is more like an action adventure/action rpg type of game.
But from the point of view which of these I found more fun to play, I'd go with Bastion as well.

Also: shoutout to Pyre, which I think is underrated.

Last edited:

Little Mac

Apples to Oranges. Unlike Bastion, Hades got the recognition it deserved. It is easily in the top three best rogue-lites of all time. Bastion is criminally underrated.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Hades, hands down. Not even a comparison for me.

Bastion is a very good game, but Hades is just next level. 10/10 stuff. (IMHO, of course).

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Transistor is the right answer.

a1da065e9f63c185695776b452374af7.gif

ungalo

I prefer Hades but i don't really like Supergiant's games anyway so my opinion is probably not worth a lot.

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I personally think both games are extremely overrated games.

I still need explanations on what made these games great, Hades especially was one of my biggest disappointment if the past years: finished the first run in 6 hours, didnt have fun, and never wanted to go back.

Not hating on them, but they felt like 6/10 games to me.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Transistor is the right answer.

a1da065e9f63c185695776b452374af7.gif
Loved this so much.
The combinations of powers broke the game towards the end. It was so much fun fiddling with them.
SuperGiant's art direction is so beautifully unique.
Soundtrack was a belter too.
Bastion was OK, I began to think they (Supergiant) were style over substance, but was blown away by Transistor and Hades.
Yup, Hades is far superior to Bastion.

Roberts

Hades has some of the best writing and VA in a video game ever. I think the unique tone it goes for sets it apart from games that basically imitate movies narratively. And gameplay is so freaking addictive. I finished it more than a year ago and still think about it once in a while.

Bastion is great though, especially the narration gimmick. I think it one of the very few video games I ever played on my ipad.

Wildebeest

Bastion had great presentation, but I played it again a bit recently, and I don't think the gameplay is that slick.

gunstarhero

Bastion for me - I hated the rouge-like idea of starting all the way from the start in Hades. For some reason when the mechanic is put into action-based games like this or Returnal, it's a huge turn off for me. But slower placed games where I can actually think about my next move like Shiren the Wanderer or Slay the Spire, I'm ok with it.

Transistor is my favorite SG game though.

winjer

I played Bastion and got bored with it. The narration is too out of place, and the combat is not fun.

I assume the same applies to Hades.

I also had a similar rection to Bastion.
Hades combat and story are much more engaging. It' only issue is the roquelite nature, that makes the game very repetitive.
If it had a proper campaign, even if it meant a shorter experience, it would be a much better game.

Holammer

Bastion had disturbingly sexy narration and very innovative for its day, but Hades is the product of a decade of experience since and it improves in every conceivable way.

Hades has some of the best writing and VA in a video game ever. I think the unique tone it goes for sets it apart from games that basically imitate movies narratively. And gameplay is so freaking addictive. I finished it more than a year ago and still think about it once in a while.

Bastion is great though, especially the narration gimmick. I think it one of the very few video games I ever played on my ipad.
I think Hades's secret trick was to dole out small portions of dialogue and exposition, with no overly complex narratives or subversive story telling tricks, but instead focusing on interpersonal relationships. You as a player just slide in there and learn to like everyone.

StueyDuck

People love hades and I understand why. But as someone who wasn't a stranger to rogues and rogue-lites it didn't set my world on fire.

Bastion however is a true classic and to be honest they personally for me haven't been able to recapture that magic.

Plus you'll never beat that OST. Again everything since feels like it's just trying to recapture bastions OST.

Overall though, a great studio, can't complain about a team releasing constant hits

jcorb

Well, I only remember trying Bastion fairly briefly, but I just never got into it.

Hades, on the other hand, really managed to win me over pretty quickly, despite a general disdain for roguelites. Really fantastic characters, dialogue, visuals, the combat felt really snappy and precise... It's honestly one of the best games I've played in many years.

Sojiro

I do enjoy Bastion and it's a solid game, but Hades is on a whole other level, it's just so damn good. Sorry man, you're wrong on this one lol.

Bastion is alright. I like that it’s short and the world is interesting, but the narrator sucks and so does a lot of the combat. I don’t like roguelikes but Hades is an awesome game that uses the genre to its fullest potential. I’m glad there is going to be Hades 2, wouldn’t mind other games in that kind of direction rather than Transistor and that other sport/fantasy/moba one.

Top Bottom