• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batgirl Will Not Be Released In Theaters Or On HBO Max As Warner Bros. Scraps Completed $90 Million Movie

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Batman Dancing GIF
Be Quiet Mr P GIF by @ICT_MrP

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The live action Teen Titans on HBO Max is abysmal after season 1, so this has nothin to do with quality. There's zero reason they couldn't at least release it for streaming. I don't think audiences have high expectations for a fucking Batgirl movie and they would have been willing to cut it a lot of slack just for something random to watch with bae or the kids.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I said it started with him, dude. He’s better off well out of it now.
Nah you just try to shit on his name, again, for no reason. Snyder had nothing to do with DC since 2016.
Blame Hamada, Sarnoff etc... Not Snyder.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Nah you just try to shit on his name, again, for no reason. Snyder had nothing to do with DC since 2016.
Blame Hamada, Sarnoff etc... Not Snyder.

Fucking hell, dude. Give it a rest from the preaching, eh? WB and DC have been in the shit since 2016. This mess started with Snyder’s movies. No, he doesn’t have anything to do with it now, and yes, the execs bear their share of the blame, but come on… he started the DCEU. And they’re still fucking everything up now because they didn’t shit-can it when they should have.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Before commenting on this cancellation I think people should properly understand what's happening behind the scenes. With David Zaslav and Alan Horne steering WB, this might be a sign of people who know what they are doing being in charge. Batgirl should never have been a direct to streaming movie, a high budgeted series maybe, but not a low budgeted streaming movie.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Flash film gets cancelled to remove Batkeaton entirely from the DCEU. I personally have not liked this idea or direction at all.
Announce a Man of Steel 2 and a stand alone Batfleck film and things will be back on the right track.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
This mess
I already countered this in the other thread, and then you stopped responding after saying "don't engage with religious Snyder fans" since you didn't had anything serious to say.
Don't make me do this again please. And next time, don't bring Snyder's name. He's living rent free in your mind that's crazy.

I think people should properly understand
You are asking too much for SOME PEOPLE here.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I already countered this in the other thread, and then you stopped responding after saying "don't engage with religious Snyder fans" since you didn't had anything serious to say.
Don't make me do this again please. And next time, don't bring Snyder's name. He's living rent free in your mind that's crazy.

Dude, I stopped talking to you because you’re a dyed in the wool Snyder cultist, who refuses to accept that the shitshow that is WB/DC’s output started with the project he was directly responsible for. Something everyone else has been clear on for years.

Kilau

Gold Member
Before commenting on this cancellation I think people should properly understand what's happening behind the scenes. With David Zaslav and Alan Horne steering WB, this might be a sign of people who know what they are doing being in charge. Batgirl should never have been a direct to streaming movie, a high budgeted series maybe, but not a low budgeted streaming movie.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Flash film gets cancelled to remove Batkeaton entirely from the DCEU. I personally have not liked this idea or direction at all.
Announce a Man of Steel 2 and a stand alone Batfleck film and things will be back on the right track.
I get what you are saying but I don't know how they can extract Man of Steel and Batfleck from the awful tone and history of the Snyder movies. So much damage done.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I get what you are saying but I don't know how they can extract Man of Steel and Batfleck from the awful tone and history of the Snyder movies. So much damage done.

One of the reasons why they don't have Cavill nailed down could be because he's crossing his fingers for Bond. IF that happens (we'll know who Bond is by the end of the year) he won't be Superman or Geralt anymore.

And HBO Max as it exists could go away and Discovery just merges Discovery+ with HBO into something new.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the entire Flash film gets cancelled

If they cancel The Flash it'll be the most expensive movie ever shelved. It's over $200M and finished. It'll eclipse that Chinese Avatar rip-off that cost $130M.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
the shitshow
It started with BvS theatrical cut stupidly cut by the studio and pursued with JL 217 and the mess the studio made of this movie. Period. BvS would break a billion by today's inflation. Remember me how much The Batman made? Are you considering this movie a financial failure?

Snyder cultists here, really?
Oh yeah, we are everywhere. That's the power of the bot army you know.

Man of Steel and Batfleck from the awful tone and history of the Snyder movies. So much damage done.
For you. Snyder was planning a fuckin epic 5 movies arc. Then JL 2017 happened and kids and blogger wanted more Marvel tone for DC. Thank god the majority think MoS is awesome.

The whole HBO Max ship going down makes me less mad about Raised by Wolves getting cancelled.

Fucking hell, dude. Give it a rest from the preaching, eh? WB and DC have been in the shit since 2016. This mess started with Snyder’s movies. No, he doesn’t have anything to do with it now, and yes, the execs bear their share of the blame, but come on… he started the DCEU. And they’re still fucking everything up now because they didn’t shit-can it when they should have.

The mess started with Batman bin Suparman's theatrical cut, which was pure nonsense.
I finally gave in to watch the extended cut before ZSJL and what do you know - it actually makes sense now and there's a clear, strong vision behind it.

MrMephistoX

I know it’s trendy to trash on Snyder but it’s really not his fault considering how terrible the theatrical cuts were as a direct result of WB meddling. DC execs fucked it up from the start and it’s pretty apparent if you watch the BvS and Justice League Directors cuts: I get not liking his story choices and that’s fine but his version of the two movies actually tell a coherent story that isn’t chopped up to the point where nothing makes sense like the theatrical cuts.

Batgirl though who knows it just seems like Discovery being out of touch. It would find an audience on HBO Max to not release it at all especially if VFX work was
done too just seems really fucking weird unless it was like Mortal Kombat Anihilation levels of bad or…this tier of bad.

ihHqrmx.jpg

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If they cancel The Flash it'll be the most expensive movie ever shelved. It's over $200M and finished. It'll eclipse that Chinese Avatar rip-off that cost $130M.

Been wondering if it’s feasible. Zaslav could be looking at the amount of money needed to market the film, and how risky it’ll be featuring Miller, given what he’s been up to. If he thinks there’s a chance it’ll do poorly, I could see him can it. He did it with CNN plus, which was a 300 million write off.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Been wondering if it’s feasible. Zaslav could be looking at the amount of money needed to market the film, and how risky it’ll be featuring Miller, given what he’s been up to. If he thinks there’s a chance it’ll do poorly, I could see him can it. He did it with CNN plus, which was a 300 million write off.

I don't know, I kind of want to see it release just for the bot army on Twitter to meltdown over Zod killing Cavill's Superman when he was still a baby.

sol_bad

I know.
But so much bad press with Ezra Miller and Batkeaton makes zero sense at all. Combined with the tweets you posted about Batgirl, yeah, Batkeaton makes absolutely no sense in the DCEU.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Combined with the tweets you posted about Batgirl, yeah, Batkeaton makes absolutely no sense in the DCEU.
Well seeing Batgirl without seeing The Flash is like seeing Endgame without seeing Infinity War, you're missing the universe being reset.

Kilau

Gold Member
One of the reasons why they don't have Cavill nailed down could be because he's crossing his fingers for Bond. IF that happens (we'll know who Bond is by the end of the year) he won't be Superman or Geralt anymore.

And HBO Max as it exists could go away and Discovery just merges Discovery+ with HBO into something new.
Oh yeah, Bond. I guess he would work. I hope HBO Max doesn't go away, I get it free with my internet.

For you. Snyder was planning a fuckin epic 5 movies arc. Then JL 2017 happened and kids and blogger wanted more Marvel tone for DC. Thank god the majority think MoS is awesome.
I saw MoS in the theatre and was thoroughly disgusted by the tone of the film and the stupidity of the story and characters. That was years before I bothered to watch any of the MCU movies that had come out. It doesn't bother me if people like his films I just haven't liked anything of his I have seen.

Pilgrimzero

I just don’t get why DC is having such a hard time turning out quality stuff.

They turned Wonder Woman into a rapist.

Just… how? How can your best core universe films be fucking Aquaman and Shazam?

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
You should give his Netflix zombie movie a try because you can't see it due to it being mostly out of focus.
Watched the Half in the Bag on that and yeah it looks like when you mess around with photo mode too much in a game.

jason10mm

Gold Member

See, this is the problem with these DC writers. Bad guys in DC don't go out and get jobs to get Healthcare, that's some Marvel Sandman shit. DC villains hear Wayne Enterprises has an experimental treatment and THEY BREAK IN TO STEAL IT.

DC isn't grounded in reality with ordinary Joe's dealing with "real life". They are mythic archetypes and their story's should reflect that.

DC drops the ball on a film with BATMAN because they don't honor their material, meanwhile over at D+ they are probably greenlighting 3 shows about elementary school teachers dealing with mutant kids, a medical drama focusing on Night Nurse, and a show about housewives who are secretly superheroes and their dumb husband's can't figure it out but the lesbian wife can.

sol_bad

See, this is the problem with these DC writers. Bad guys in DC don't go out and get jobs to get Healthcare, that's some Marvel Sandman shit. DC villains hear Wayne Enterprises has an experimental treatment and THEY BREAK IN TO STEAL IT.

DC isn't grounded in reality with ordinary Joe's dealing with "real life". They are mythic archetypes and their story's should reflect that.

DC drops the ball on a film with BATMAN because they don't honor their material, meanwhile over at D+ they are probably greenlighting 3 shows about elementary school teachers dealing with mutant kids, a medical drama focusing on Night Nurse, and a show about housewives who are secretly superheroes and their dumb husband's can't figure it out but the lesbian wife can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(DC_Comics)#Fictional_character_biography

Post-Crisis[edit]​

Following Crisis on Infinite Earths' reboot of the DC Universe, Firefly was re-imagined as a much darker and more violent character.[2]

After being taken away from their abusive parents, Garfield Lynns and his sister, Amanda, grew up at the St. Evangelina Home for Orphans. Unlike his relatively normal sister, Garfield was a problematic child whom nobody wanted to adopt. As an adult, Lynns became a pyrotechnics and special effects expert in the film industry, but eventually fell victim to Gotham City's severe poverty issues and turned to a life of crime as a result.

ManaByte

Gold Member

Post-Crisis[edit]​

Following Crisis on Infinite Earths' reboot of the DC Universe, Firefly was re-imagined as a much darker and more violent character.[2]

After being taken away from their abusive parents, Garfield Lynns and his sister, Amanda, grew up at the St. Evangelina Home for Orphans. Unlike his relatively normal sister, Garfield was a problematic child whom nobody wanted to adopt. As an adult, Lynns became a pyrotechnics and special effects expert in the film industry, but eventually fell victim to Gotham City's severe poverty issues and turned to a life of crime as a result.

Dude you know you don't have to be familiar with comics to complain about them on the internet. Get with the times.

Fuck warner (not for this movie), because they screw everything so bad. It was literally this:

run chicken GIF by Andrea C.

I really liked Henry and Affleck in their roles, and the Snyder cut, but as always the management just wanted to:

Man Office GIF by South Park

Kimahri

Banned
Oh yeah, Bond. I guess he would work. I hope HBO Max doesn't go away, I get it free with my internet.

I saw MoS in the theatre and was thoroughly disgusted by the tone of the film and the stupidity of the story and characters. That was years before I bothered to watch any of the MCU movies that had come out. It doesn't bother me if people like his films I just haven't liked anything of his I have seen.

Yeah, same. He's an impressively bad director. Everything he does sounds awesome on paper, but somehow he manages to turn it into dull nonsense. It's pretty impressive really.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Post-Crisis[edit]​

Sure, thats a great backstory, especially the hollywood sfx stuff. But that's not MOTIVATION.

Firefly, in a DC project, isn't some ordinary joe struggling to make ends meet to take care of his wife working 3 jobs at amazon. He is a SUPERVILLIAN, so he does supervillian SHIT to GET WHAT HE WANTS. Think back to the classic BTAS ep with Dr Freeze. They humanized him but he was STILL A GODDAMNED ICE WIELDING SUPERVILLIAN.

DC, IMHO, tends towards the bombastic with much more clear morality beats and messaging.

Jennings

I think the chick playing Batgirl is cute as fuck in costume and I'd spend 90 minutes watching her flail around against baddies, even if I did have to ocassionally look up from my phone to keep up with what's happening on-screen between her costumed antics.

I'm sure that even if the movie was so bad it shouldn't see the light of day Leslie Grace would still be easy enough on the eyes to hold my attention till the credits rolled.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think the chick playing Batgirl is cute as fuck in costume and I'd spend 90 minutes watching her flail around against baddies, even if I did have to ocassionally look up from my phone to keep up with what's happening on-screen between her costumed antics.

I'm sure that even if the movie was so bad it shouldn't see the light of day Leslie Grace would still be easy enough on the eyes to hold my attention till the credits rolled.
I wonder if there were whedon-esque ass shots in there or if she was filmed in as unsexy a way as possible.

Never saw BBFL, was it filmed well? While it seems like you could throw Smith and Lawrence in a room and get at least half a film of improv banter, they must have done something right on that film. Wonder what happened here.

Doom85

Agreed, she looks cute. Also sucks for Brendan Fraser given what I read about everything he’s been through. At least they both got paid I assume.

Though, whoever the source for New York Post was needs to do their Batgirl research more. “Unspeakable” Batgirl? Cassandra Cain is the mute Batgirl, not Barbara Gordon!

No Way Smh GIF by Searchlight Pictures

Regardless, it’s pretty shitty to not even make it available on streaming if the movie is basically done. Label it as an “Elseworlds” film or something if they’re that concerned about it affecting the rep of the main universe. But I hate knowing something like this could be seen but is being prevented. I don’t give a shit about negative test screenings, as it really pisses me off whenever somebody (a corporate guy, a regular Joe, whoever) tells me they “know” what I’ll like or won’t like. I’ll watch it myself and make up my own damn mind!

Snl Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:
Top Bottom