• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batgirl Will Not Be Released In Theaters Or On HBO Max As Warner Bros. Scraps Completed $90 Million Movie

Thaedolus

Money GIF
black and white joker GIF

Corpsepyre

Banned
HBO Max being rumoured to being absorbed into Discovery is the real news here + focus shifting to more unscripted content. Can be utter disaster.

Pagusas

Elden Member
this really seems like a way to marketing it... a stupid way.. but a way, like they saw how the "release the Snyder cut' campaign went and figured they could do the same by artificially creating demand for an otherwise awful film.

The only person I feel bad for is Keaton. The one year he gets to return as Batman, it all goes up in flames lol

Last edited:

ManaByte

Looks like Warner is in full "burn it all down" mode.

Not Warner, Discovery and there’s more bad WB/DC news coming. The Flash is probably just the beginning.

Really seems like Zaslov wants to wipe the slate clean and restart everything with a new traditional Superman closer in tone to Donner but with no connection to any of the DCEU stuff that’s done before.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Not Warner, Discovery and there’s more bad WB/DC news coming. The Flash is probably just the beginning.

Really seems like Zaslov wants to wipe the slate clean and restart everything with a new traditional Superman closer in tone to Donner but with no connection to any of the DCEU stuff that’s done before.
They should do a quick Flash reshoot scene where the ending is Barry failing in some form and the whole current DC universe is destroyed. Make it a canon "bad ending" lol.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As crazy as it sounds WB also has a Flash movie for 2023 at $200M budget.

Crazy. Flash is that big of a character to get giant sales? lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Discovery owns Warner now so they’re the ones calling the shots and cutting costs.
I had to quickly skim wiki to see the link.

Funny thing is I didn't realize Discovery was literally that. The company that does Discovery Channel and other cable channels. Who knew theyd be calling the shots over WB where it seems WB kind of stuff is getting gassed first.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Why would you want this to leak? superhero movies are already mediocre, just imagine how bad this is, why do you want to watch this?

I just hope Marvel follows suit and cancels phases 5 and 6. We all know those movies are gonna suck either way. There are no stars left.
Superhero movies are a big thing. Even the worst one probably still makes a couple hundred million dollars. So it shows a comicbook superhero fanbase is always there. SOmeone can make a movie on The Wonder Twins chimpanzee and it'd probably make a lot of money.

I find it incredible there's probably been like 50+ superhero movies and TV series the past 15-20 years and they still sell like gangbusters.

How many times can someone watch Avengers, Thor, and Spiderman and Superman reboots, reboot of a reboot, and a reboot of a reboot of a reboot? I wouldnt be surprise if there's another Peter Parker in high school reboot for the millionth time in the next 5 years.

Dont get me wrong, I'd do a Spiderman reboot too since they all seem to make like $800M sales.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Superhero movies are a big thing. Even the worst one probably still makes a couple hundred million dollars. So it shows a comicbook superhero fanbase is always there. SOmeone can make a movie on The Wonder Twins chimpanzee and it'd probably make a lot of money.

I find it incredible there's probably been like 50+ superhero movies and TV series the past 15-20 years and they still sell like gangbusters.

How many times can someone watch Avengers, Thor, and Spiderman and Superman reboots, reboot of a reboot, and a reboot of a reboot of a reboot? I wouldnt be surprise if there's another Peter Parker in high school reboot for the millionth time in the next 5 years.
Yeah, but a lot of that is because they did great casting, they found the right Spider-Man and the right Batman. But now, if you notice, the casting of the new superhero movies is weak. And if they keep leeching weak content, at some point, the bottom will fall out. Who the fuck is supposed to be in these new movies in phases 5 and 6? budget no-name actors no one cares about.

Also, people are stupid and watch stupid things.

Doom85

Why would you want this to leak? superhero movies are already mediocre, just imagine how bad this is, why do you want to watch this?

I just hope Marvel follows suit and cancels phases 5 and 6. We all know those movies are gonna suck either way. There are no stars left.

If I knew Bragr IRL and he was still constantly finding every possible way to whine about the MCU, I’d just do that gag in Penguins of Madagascar and take a loud bite every time he tried to get a word in.

yahoo penguins GIF

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Yeah, but a lot of that is because they did great casting, they found the right Spider-Man and the right Batman. But now, if you notice, the casting of the new superhero movies is weak. And if they keep leeching weak content, at some point, the bottom will fall out. Who the fuck is supposed to be in these new movies in phases 5 and 6? budget no-name actors no one cares about.

Also, people are stupid and watch stupid things.

Nobodies... Like Chris Hemsworth... ? Like... Mark Ruffalo? Like... Chris Pratt?

None of them were well known mainstream movie stars... Until AFTER their MCU movies

Yeah, they were working actors but they were barely stars... It could be argued Evans was barely a star... A known actor but he wasn't a leading man in anything well loved.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I get what you are saying but I don't know how they can extract Man of Steel and Batfleck from the awful tone and history of the Snyder movies. So much damage done.

That's just dumb, I'm sorry. That's like arguing a series of comics are bad enough to destroy a character/franchise as historically beloved as Batman and its whole universe.

Especially given how badly off-course in terms of public tasted the 90's Batman cycle was by the time Batman & Robin limped onto screens I'd argue it takes a lot more than a trilogy of movies that got mixed reviews.

Snyder was neither a hero or villain. He made exactly what sort of comic-book movies you'd expect based on his track-record as a director! Which is to say that there are bunch of traits, both good and bad he brings to the table.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
That's just dumb, I'm sorry. That's like arguing a series of comics are bad enough to destroy a character/franchise as historically beloved as Batman and its whole universe.

Especially given how badly off-course in terms of public tasted the 90's Batman cycle was by the time Batman & Robin limped onto screens I'd argue it takes a lot more than a trilogy of movies that got mixed reviews.

Snyder was neither a hero or villain. He made exactly what sort of comic-book movies you'd expect based on his track-record as a director! Which is to say that there are bunch of traits, both good and bad he brings to the table.

No, I'm not arguing that at all. I'm talking strictly about continuing the Cavill and Affleck series as the poster I was responding to was suggesting. I'm not saying Superman or Batman are destroyed just that those versions have a ton of baggage attached to them.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Film must have been trash. According to the BBC report, the decision was only made after the test screening. If the audience at the test screening loved it then this film wouldn't have been cancelled.

Mossybrew

Somehow I don't think I even heard they were making this movie. Then again, Batgirl is a trash character so I probably just ignored any news about it.

FunkMiller

Good news if that happens. Kill The Flash. Kill the shared universe. Solos only from now on.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No, I'm not arguing that at all. I'm talking strictly about continuing the Cavill and Affleck series as the poster I was responding to was suggesting. I'm not saying Superman or Batman are destroyed just that those versions have a ton of baggage attached to them.

Again, not sure if you could point to Cavill or Affleck being "problems" when -rightly or wrongly- the director and the studio production team seem to have been the focus of all the controversy. I doubt most average movie-goers thought Snyder's trilogy were exceptionally terrible, and I think it needs to be accepted that with the Snyder cut of JL being broadly considered to be a better movie than the Whedon-cut, Snyder's kinda come out of all this looking like the babyface!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm in the minority. I liked the latest Superman movie. Only bad part was the final fight with Zod was probably about triple as long as it should had been. It seemed to go on forever. Superman movies are supposed to be more low key, not giant battlegrounds like an Avengers movie.

ManaByte

Good news if that happens. Kill The Flash. Kill the shared universe. Solos only from now on.

The Wrap report when Zaslov took over said they want to build a universe around a new Superman movie. Could be still be Cavill, but without any connection to the divisive stuff that came before.

ManaByte

Again, not sure if you could point to Cavill or Affleck being "problems" when -rightly or wrongly- the director and the studio production team seem to have been the focus of all the controversy. I doubt most average movie-goers thought Snyder's trilogy were exceptionally terrible, and I think it needs to be accepted that with the Snyder cut of JL being broadly considered to be a better movie than the Whedon-cut, Snyder's kinda come out of all this looking like the babyface!

People seem to forget that Man of Steel was primarily written by David Goyer.

The same David Goyer who then said Martian Manhunter was too goofy to work in a movie.

FunkMiller

The Wrap report when Zaslov took over said they want to build a universe around a new Superman movie. Could be still be Cavill, but without any connection to the divisive stuff that came before.

Even better. I'd be well happy if we had a rebooted Cavill-led Superman franchise to sit next to Reeves's Batman one.

Konnor

It seems Discovery is trying to protect HBO's reputation of having quality stuff. If people want to watch non-stop woke trash they might as well subscribe to Netflix, HBO is different because it's not nearly as bad as Netflix. They also removed a few other movies from the service that were already there and were also terrible.

ManaByte

It seems Discovery is trying to protect HBO's reputation of having quality stuff. If people want to watch non-stop woke trash they might as well subscribe to Netflix, HBO is different because it's not nearly as bad as Netflix. They also removed a few other movies from the service that were already there and were also terrible.

What? No, they're going to ruin HBO. They want a higher focus on reality content and less scripted shows/movies.

FunkMiller

It's real easy to reboot Cavill to fit into Reeves universe. With what Reeves did with Gotham (the first on-screen Gotham to LOOK like Gotham) imagine what they could do with a true city of the future Metropolis.

As long as they just keep Superman to himself. No more bloody half-arsed crossover stuff. You have to earn that over years and many movies. Same goes for all the other DC IP they have.

Top Bottom