• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batgirl Will Not Be Released In Theaters Or On HBO Max As Warner Bros. Scraps Completed $90 Million Movie

ManaByte

FZWKRK8XwAEkTAN

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
10 year plan for DC content... Working with Horn, Iger as they did with Feige at Disney

Said have some great DC coming out including Aquaman, Black Adam and Flash

Last edited:

sol_bad

10 year plan for DC content... Working with Horn, Iger as they did with Feige at Disney

Said have some great DC coming out including Aquaman, Black Adam and Flash

Having Horne doesn't automatically mean the DCEU will get better. They still need someone like Feige who loves and understands the comics.
Over at Marvel Studios Horne would help approve various things but he wasn't the ideas man.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Having Horne doesn't automatically mean the DCEU will get better. They still need someone like Feige who loves and understands the comics.
Over at Marvel Studios Horne would help approve various things but he wasn't the ideas man.

Oh I know .. they're in advisory roles... They're going to help choose the Feige type

jason10mm

Gold Member
In the world of TV pilots this is nothing new, there are THOUSANDS of them out there that never see the light of day or, at best, get sorta kinda worked into a semi-stand alone feature that can be dumped somewhere.

Usually there are producers and stuff watching daileys and rough cuts to make sure a project is on track. So either Batgirl was HORRIBLY mismanaged from the get go or was delivering exactly what was promised, which just wasn't what any normal person actually wanted based on test screenings. Certainly plenty of films have troubled productions, extensive reshoots or reedits, even from EXTREMELY experienced production houses like LucasArts (twice on recent star wars films alone!) and still deliver a watchable product, so there just had to be blindingly painful problems with this film to not even get a streaming dump. Maybe they are shooting for a certain bar of quality and in the long run this is a good thing. Maybe we will see DC start to look for accomplished people to put on these projects instead of yes men, inexperienced people who work cheap, or whatever checks a box on a list other than competence.

The DC animation side of things seems to be pretty solid. I've not seen any of the cartoons that go WAAAAAAY off the rails, and the direction of those films, the characterizations and dialogue, and fight scene framing is usually really good. They need to pull from that talent pool IMHO. League of Super Pets does all the Justice League well (except maybe Green Lantern, no idea who that is supposed to be) so IT CAN BE DONE if WB can just take a knee and get focused.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
In the world of TV pilots this is nothing new, there are THOUSANDS of them out there that never see the light of day or, at best, get sorta kinda worked into a semi-stand alone feature that can be dumped somewhere.

Usually there are producers and stuff watching daileys and rough cuts to make sure a project is on track. So either Batgirl was HORRIBLY mismanaged from the get go or was delivering exactly what was promised, which just wasn't what any normal person actually wanted based on test screenings. Certainly plenty of films have troubled productions, extensive reshoots or reedits, even from EXTREMELY experienced production houses like LucasArts (twice on recent star wars films alone!) and still deliver a watchable product, so there just had to be blindingly painful problems with this film to not even get a streaming dump. Maybe they are shooting for a certain bar of quality and in the long run this is a good thing. Maybe we will see DC start to look for accomplished people to put on these projects instead of yes men, inexperienced people who work cheap, or whatever checks a box on a list other than competence.

The DC animation side of things seems to be pretty solid. I've not seen any of the cartoons that go WAAAAAAY off the rails, and the direction of those films, the characterizations and dialogue, and fight scene framing is usually really good. They need to pull from that talent pool IMHO. League of Super Pets does all the Justice League well (except maybe Green Lantern, no idea who that is supposed to be) so IT CAN BE DONE if WB can just take a knee and get focused.

The Green Lantern in Superpets is a new character from the last 2-3 years in the comics. I forget her name but yeah. She's new... Along with Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and all the other humans from Earth (I still think it's weird there's so many FROM Earth... The other sectors don't have more than one from each)

Doom85

The Green Lantern in Superpets is a new character from the last 2-3 years in the comics. I forget her name but yeah. She's new... Along with Jessica Cruz, Simon Baz and all the other humans from Earth (I still think it's weird there's so many FROM Earth... The other sectors don't have more than one from each)

It never bothered me plenty were from Earth. The comic readers are obviously human so it makes sense to make at least a good chunk of the cast human. Besides, there’s still a ton of alien Lanterns, especially outside of the Green ones.

Same deal with Marvel and New York. Stan Lee just wrote what he was familiar with (and obviously researching other locations was more costly pre Internet) so a lot of heroes ended up there. And I’m cool with that, at least for the OGs.

RAÏSanÏa

More cancelled movies out there.

Oh yeah, that Louis CK film being cancelled at the last moment. The article helpfully includes a picture of Moretz in a bikini as the 17yo daughter to, presumably, point out who she is, that she starred in the film and that it wasn't her or the film by itself.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The "humans are the best" thing pervades pretty much ALL media, so I'm ok with it. Look at Star Trek, Star Wars, etc, thye are all very human centric for relatability, ease of depiction, etc. I've read very few stories where humans were significantly disadvantaged compared to 10 foot tall rock monsters who seem like they would rule everything because...well, they are 10 foot tall rock monsters :p

My issue with LoSP Green Lantern is that she didn't seem very....cop like? IIRC the Green Lantern corps is basically a police force. Obviously there are a wide range of personalities capable of that task but she just seemed a bit too GenXy to be a strong willed defender of a galactic sector. Then again, in LoSP Aquaman flaps around eating fish flakes and Cyborg runs off a giant AA battery so I guess it doesn't really matter :p

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh yeah, that Louis CK film being cancelled at the last moment. The article helpfully includes a picture of Moretz in a bikini as the 17yo daughter to, presumably, point out who she is, that she starred in the film and that it wasn't her or the film by itself.
I don't get why the film was pulled.

Well, I "get it" get it, it was due to social media pressure or anticipated backlash, but what was the context within the film? Unless CK used the movie to film himself rolling around in bed with a bunch of naked woman (like Jessica Alba has accused Dane Cook of during the filming of Good Luck Chuck) I'm assuming the film is AGAINST youth exploitation by older creepy hollywood types, no?

RAÏSanÏa

Well, I "get it" get it, it was due to social media pressure or anticipated backlash, but what was the context within the film? Unless CK used the movie to film himself rolling around in bed with a bunch of naked woman (like Jessica Alba has accused Dane Cook of during the filming of Good Luck Chuck) I'm assuming the film is AGAINST youth exploitation by older creepy hollywood types, no?
I haven't watched it, but expect even if it didn't that it passed every other legal hurdle and is nothing to be concerned about on its own.

Stuart360

Holy smokes the film must of been bad. To not even release it on streaming, well the film must of been so bad that they feel it would of done more harm than good.

Someday the film will get leaked, if it really was completed like they say.

WB Discovery just reported disastrous financial results as a combined company and the first thing new management did was unceremoniously axe the less than a week old CNN+ right after taking over.

This is obviously cleaning house after a corporate merger. They are going to dismember half the company until finances improve. Media consolidation is a bitch.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It should also be remembered that $90m is not actually a particularly large sum for a Hollywood union picture. Its not much higher than what you'd expect for a rom-com once release expenses and marketing are added-in.

I don't think cutting their losses is that radical a move financially, its more about the optics and making a public admittance that the project isn't salvagable.

Konnor

They’re merging them next summer. There’s a thread about it.

Oh. my. fucking. God. they're retarded. They're trying to protect HBO Max quality while merging it with reality TV trash for morons. You can't make this shit up.

JonSnowball

Yeah - the film is "I Love You, Daddy". It's a drama/comedy film about an old film director (John Malkovich) attempting to groom the main characters under-aged daughter while the main character (played by Louis CK) attempts to stop it. Drama ensues, some comedy here and there, and Charlie Day stars as one of the side characters that's effectively pure comic relief. It's pretty good - there's a screener on torrents.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats

I completely forgot that HBO spent $30M on a GoT spin off pilot and Discovery instantly nuked it from orbit when they saw it.

Oh god..that Forbes article .. the first lines are

“WBD has shelved a decently-budgeted DC Comics flick starring an Afro-Latina actress in the title superhero role and co-starring Filipina-American transgender actress Ivory Aquino as Barbara’s roommate/friend.”

Gaslighting much Forbes??
🤦‍♂️

FunkMiller

Oh. my. fucking. God. they're retarded. They're trying to protect HBO Max quality while merging it with reality TV trash for morons. You can't make this shit up.

It gets better. The rumour from a few sources is that they're going to go with a three tier subscription system like Peacock - premium, standard, free. The free tier would probably mean adverts in the middle of all your favourite HBO shows...

Are you invested in how Dolores can break free from her pre-programmed host loop? Never mind that! Here's an advert for Honey Nut Loops!

Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

jason10mm

Gold Member
Oh god..that Forbes article .. the first lines are

“WBD has shelved a decently-budgeted DC Comics flick starring an Afro-Latina actress in the title superhero role and co-starring Filipina-American transgender actress Ivory Aquino as Barbara’s roommate/friend.”

Gaslighting much Forbes??
🤦‍♂️
This is one of the primary defensive tactics of the identity politics movement. If you don't like a thing, it's because of racism, transphobia, or some other -ism or -phobia and they have made up SO MANY of these things, they can always find one to use against you. It's NEVER that the person or project is just bad.

This is one of the primary defensive tactics of the identity politics movement. If you don't like a thing, it's because of racism, transphobia, or some other -ism or -phobia and they have made up SO MANY of these things, they can always find one to use against you. It's NEVER that the person or project is just bad.

Everyone is reporting that it’s to protect the brand, but yet sites like the daily mail and whatever YouTube clown videos people have posted are making it an issue about woke characters.

It’s like no fools, the merged company is making business moves. Move along from the political narratives and focus on the business strategy.

Last edited:

PillsOff

Banned
Unfortunately that is not what will happen with other western Comic Book movies...sad... But kudos to Batgirl for giving fans what they want.

Everyone is reporting that it’s to protect the brand, but yet sites like the daily mail and whatever YouTube clown videos people have posted are making it an issue about woke characters.

It’s like no fools, the merged company is making business moves. Move along from the political narratives and focus on the business strategy.
LMAO protect what brand? Batgirl? The DC Extended Universe? There's nothing to protect: Batgirl isn't really a thing beyond comic book nerds (like some of the dudes on this forum), and DCEU is in shambles.

The main objective reason given so far is that the test screenings received very bad feedback. Until you talk to people who went to the test screening, you saying "LOL it's not about woke characters" is pure speculation.

Your rant doesn't make J jason10mm 's post incorrect. That quoted part of the Forbes article IS indicative of the kind of gaslighting the media does when people don't like something.

LMAO protect what brand? Batgirl? The DC Extended Universe? There's nothing to protect: Batgirl isn't really a thing beyond comic book nerds (like some of the dudes on this forum), and DCEU is in shambles.
[/QUOTE]

The company brand. The brand of putting out higher quality product that makes money, clearly. All these non-releases don’t align with their goals.

The main objective reason given so far is that the test screenings received very bad feedback. Until you talk to people who went to the test screening, you saying "LOL it's not about woke characters" is pure speculation.

So you are going to listen to speculation that it was then? My-my you are very selective, and either can’t escape the clutches of your narrative bias, or just can’t stop speculating.

But the issue here is that they told us the motherfucking reasons already, which is why I said focus on the business side and not anti/pro woke narratives.

Top Bottom