• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batllefield 2042 Pricing revealed

ZoukGalaxy

No single player, heavy microtransaction, pass, seasons ?
60-120 ?
Lmao Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I don't want to backseat mod (but I'm gonna) however, can this thread be merged with:

We have two of these now and it's starting to get confusing with all these BF2042 threads. There's too many hot takes that I need to call out!

Last edited:

Fbh

LOL at the next gen tax.
Since it's more expensive, has no single player, coop or battle royale you'd at least expect it to launch with a ton of content. But nope.

RoboEight

Ultimate edition is $149.99 in Canada with tax that a little over $160.00 what a deal. The thing is like the ultimate edition come with the year one battlepass and its like for that price you should get all battle passes included.
I do like BF but like fuck I don’t really feel like buying it and then buying a battle pass like I rather it just be F2P with battle pass at this point.

Riky

$MSFT
So you have to buy at least the Gold Edition to get Xbox One and Series versions, that's annoying if you're paying the extra for the next gen version there is no reason you shouldn't get the Xbox One version included.

Derktron

Banned
It depends. If you can buy the upgrade for $10, yes. Because it's a full version and not a special upgrade version that only works with the base game, you can gift the upgrade to yourself. You're getting a code for the next gen version.

So 3 versions for $90
Or you just refund the base after and have 2 next gen versions for $20.
I did that with COD last year.

Might not work this time, tho if MS fixxed something.
I did the same with COD too, so hopefully, it works out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You're buying crossgen now? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
It's next gen. Just because its being ported to last gen consoles doesnt mean its being held back by then. CoD Modern Warfare was ported to the Wii by Treyarch. It didnt hold back IW's PS360 versions.

The next gen versions will have twice the number of players, larger maps, full scale destruction on top of prettier graphics. THATS how you do cross gen.

The good kind of cross gen. Started dev on next gen. Downported by another studio a la Titanfall and Forza Horizon 2.

EA told their investors as much during a conference call last year explaining why it didnt come out last year.

the “good kind?”

doesn’t register. Either way their main studio will need to take into account last gen constraints

Kenpachii

hahaah they really wanna try to catch up on that lost money from bfv.

game should be free to play

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's next gen. Just because its being ported to last gen consoles doesnt mean its being held back by then. CoD Modern Warfare was ported to the Wii by Treyarch. It didnt hold back IW's PS360 versions.

The next gen versions will have twice the number of players, larger maps, full scale destruction on top of prettier graphics. THATS how you do cross gen.

Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

It's crossgen as fuck mate, and it's held back. That's the reality of any game designed around last gen Jaguar or HDD.

Speaking of best crossgens, Sony shows they're the best in doing both versions justice, leagues ahead of any other.

SlimySnake

the “good kind?”

doesn’t register. Either way their main studio will need to take into account last gen constraints
Jake Gyllenhaal No GIF

It's crossgen as fuck mate, and it's held back. That's the reality of any game designed around last gen Jaguar or HDD.

Speaking of best crossgens, Sony shows they're the best in doing both versions justice, leagues ahead of any other.
We will see in 3 days. All i know is what they told investors last year after being questioned why there was no BF or Battlefront game in the past 2 years to compete with cod.

During the earnings call, the executives of EA revealed that the next Battlefield will be on a “scale never seen before.”

This comes as the new generation of consoles become available worldwide, including the PS5 and Xbox Series X|S.

“”The technical advancements of the new consoles are allowing the team to deliver on a true next-gen.”

EA further elaborated on the scale of the game, saying “our next Battlefield game with never-before-seen scale. The technical advancements of the new [PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S] consoles are [enabling] the team to deliver on a true next-gen vision for the franchise.

This was later confirmed today in a presentation DICE gave to reporters and youtubers.

During a pre-launch presentation with DICE and EA, the developers confirmed that the game was built with next-gen players in mind, with 128 players on PS5, Xbox Series X, and PC.

Unfortunately for those still using older hardware, DICE and EA state that lobbies will max out at the usual 64 players, meaning that you won’t be able to experience the same combat as those with newer hardware.

Due to the fact that there are less players, Battlefield 2042’s maps will be “tailored to smaller scale to ensure epic battles,” although gameplay and mid-map events will “all be the same” regardless of what platform you play on.

This is literally the opposite of what Sony is doing. Which is designing on the PS4 first and then porting up. DICE is porting down.

This is their next gen vision. Not sure if they have matched the graphics fidelity yet but the 128 player confirmation already proves the first part of the gif.

5ka60P4.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We will see in 3 days. All i know is what they told investors last year after being questioned why there was no BF or Battlefront game in the past 2 years to compete with cod.

This was later confirmed today in a presentation DICE gave to reporters and youtubers.

This is literally the opposite of what Sony is doing. Which is designing on the PS4 first and then porting up. DICE is porting down.

This is their next gen vision. Not sure if they have matched the graphics fidelity yet but the 128 player confirmation already proves the first part of the gif.

5ka60P4.gif

With all due respect, that's just PR BS.

5ka60P4.gif
Dice have shown today how far ahead they are on a technical level, I thought it was CGI but it wasn't.

HoofHearted

For those holding out for GP. There appears to be a partnership but from the following I don't think it's a GP day 1 game.

This just confirms I'll wait until it's available on GP now..

Once it's released - I'll be able to play it on both my PC and XSX - win win...

Someone wake me up when it releases on GP.. ;)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That would be lying to investors/shareholders which is a federal crime, but after seeing Sony's PR mistakes I am willing to agree. We will find out in three days.

It's just like the Spider-man MM, Horizon FW getting extra stuff that won't be possible on PS4 version. But the overall design would be hindered to fit last gen jaguars and HDD.

SlimySnake

Dice have shown today how far ahead they are on a technical level, I thought it was CGI but it wasn't.
I am very apprehensive about the game engine trailers. they always look a league ahead of gameplay footage. They have since the initial BF1 trailers. Their firestorm and Pacific DLC Game Engine trailers looked stunning too, but this is a big upgrade.

I am gonna wait until the gameplay footage to see just how close they have come to game engine footage.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I am very apprehensive about the game engine trailers. they always look a league ahead of gameplay footage. They have since the initial BF1 trailers. Their firestorm and Pacific DLC Game Engine trailers looked stunning too, but this is a big upgrade.

I am gonna wait until the gameplay footage to see just how close they have come to game engine footage.

BF games always look very good with Quixel megascans usage and the always play good, that's a given. Also they always sound wonderful and explosives sound the best.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Does not represent good value to me at that price point. I know they make shit campaigns but at least make an effort. Lazy fuckin devs man.

Reindeer

BF games always look very good with Quixel megascans usage and the always play good, that's a given. Also they always sound wonderful and explosives sound the best.
It'll probably get a huge visual upgrade like we got with 4, but we'll likely have to wait for next iteration to for them to fully take advantage of next gen tech. Should still be a visual treat.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

This comment proves you haven't played a Battlefield on PC in a long time (or ever), plus that was obviously not what my comment was geared towards. Enjoy you're neutered experience with a higher price premium.
No it actually proves you haven't played a BF game on the PC.
In a long time.
Punk Buster doesn't stand a chance against the hacks on PC BF games.

I will enjoy versions(double dipping) that will load day one and not have cheating.

5ka60P4.gif

it doesn’t work that way in reality though

you can’t radically change the game design, physics, etc do that it runs impossibly on last gen

BabyYoda

Banned
If you people pay those prices (anything above $60 really, which is already too much imho), then you are mugs and deserve $80 next gen and $90 the gen after that et al...if you pre-order, then God help you, because I can't!

Last edited:

Sybrix

Battlefield 2 at launch was $60 back in the day and is considered one of the best BF games of all time….. and it’s MP only

R6Rider

Gold Member
If you people pay those prices (anything above $60 really, which is already too much imho), then you are mugs and deserve $80 next gen and $90 the gen after that et al...if you pre-order, then God help you, because I can't!
Yeah how dare people spend 70 bucks on hundreds of hours of entertainment.

Arachnid

Fuck 70 dollars for any game.

It's BF. Give it 2 months (less if it's a BFV shitshow which was half price on launch week LOL) and it'll be down to 40-50 dollars.

Yeah how dare people spend 70 bucks on hundreds of hours of entertainment.
So any shitty grindy game should be payed for by the hour? Would you pay 100 for Destiny or Diablo? It's not like this is even hundreds of hours of new experiences like some kind of godly xpac. It's the same 8 maps, over and over.

Piss poor reasoning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom