• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: The Animated Series Reboot Is Happening According To Kevin Smith

I was browsing HBO Max and was surprised to see both Batman: TAS and Batman Beyond are on it. Batman: TAS is easily 10/10 show for me, by far the best animated superhero show ever made so I went online to check when it was added and I stumbled on this:

Thought I would share since Batman: TAS is a masterpiece.

I should also add that for those of you who passed on Batman Beyond when it originally aired, I strongly recommend giving it a go. It's pretty damn good.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Best cartoon ever. I have the DVD sets.

I would have just waited for the BR edition if I knew, but I remember reading forums where people claimed the cartoon is so old and made in low res, they'll never make a BR edition.

Then pop. BR announced. lol

Fav episodes: Scarecrow, Riddler, Mr Freeze (one episode I think?), Lock Up, P.O.V., and the episode where the villain thought he was Zeus

Last edited:
Best cartoon ever. I have the DVD sets.

I would have just waited for the BR edition if I knew, but I remember reading forums where people claimed the cartoon is so old and made in low res, they'll never make a BR edition.

Then pop. BR announced. lol
Blu-ray set is on sale right now too for $43. Was thinking of picking it up.

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J33MNCV/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Arkam

Love me some Batman TAS. Many episodes still hold up well to this day. I'll cautiously watch this reboot and hope for the best. .

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I went through most of the animated Batmans thanks to HBO Max. It would definitely make sense to see them launch a new one.

Arkam

No fuck off, don't touch Batman TAS.

Make something new fine, but don't fuck with the classic. It needs no reboot.
Agreed. But looking back at TAS its something that shouldn't get too scary. After a few years TAS became The Adventures of Batman and Robin and then Batman Beyond after that. If its a good story it will work just fine. As long as they have the TAS content as their guiding light, they should be ok.

Jethalal

Banned
Young Justice is better than BTAS. Best DC property of the last decade.

EDIT: I am not talking about the Snyder+Whedon trash that came out, am talking about this:

1*nCPbgFmbitr5hOugkVq-gA.png

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

The old series got remastered and is available, a reboot hurts nothing. I liked Harley Quinn and expect this to be good too like other quality DC animated stuff they’ve been putting out for years.

Last edited:

INC

All you boomers LOLing, I mean it when I say it as I've seen both shows. Definitely watch Young Justice yourself and then compare it without nostalgia kicking in.

The fact you think justice league is even worth watching in the first places, makes it a null and void point tbh

Jethalal

Banned
The fact you think justice league is even worth watching in the first places, makes it a null and void point tbh
I am talking about this:

1*nCPbgFmbitr5hOugkVq-gA.png

It is genuinely brilliant and even an adult audience could watch it. I meant what I said. Give it a go, please.

Kadve

When the hell has a show rebooted 20 years later (presumably by fans of the original) worked? The only one i can think about would Star trek TNG, and that only became good after a few seasons.

I'm skeptical.
Its already been done, called Harley Quinn. Lots more cursing though...

Or maybe check out Justice League vs. the Fatal Five (if you manage to look past the stupid market based name). It employs the same artstyle as the DCAU and i think they went out of their way to make it so that nothing would stop it from being part of it.

justiceleagefatal5a.JPG

Granted, your enjoyment may vary depending on your stance towards Jessica Cruz . She and Lightning Lad are pretty much the main characters.

Jethalal

Banned
I'd rather they greenlit more of The Justice League Dark spin offs, BTAS is fine as it I and a justified classic.
You mean the new movies, didn't you see JLD: Apokolips War? Spoilers for that movie: That universe is dead, they'll have to start afresh

VulcanRaven

This could be great but it won't be the same because they would use computers to animate it now. I'm rewatching the original series on Blu-Ray right now.

Last edited:

stn

I am REALLY hoping that this turns out great. Hopefully they keep a dark tone and also don't have shitty looking animation.

johntown

Banned
How can you remake greatness? I'm sorry but I don't think they will pull it off. I love Batman TAS and I am currently re-watching it and on season 4. This is where they started changing things and I have to say it is disappointing compared to the previous 3 seasons which are all incredible.

VulcanRaven

I hope it will look like the original series and not like The New Batman Adventures. I like both styles but now they should go back to the original.

FunkMiller

I’d prefer a fresh take that maybe some drew inspiration from TAS, rather than a reboot. Drop in a little Nolan influence, maybe some Snyder (Scott, not Zack) and give us a mature take on the character again in animated form that will work well as a counterpoint to what Matt Reeves is doing.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
and man hating
Eh, i think thats mostly just Poison Ivy and A she seems horribly lonely and B is getting Kite man on the side so that undermines the feminist message quite a bit.

I do feel like the show is sexually very juvenile while quite adult in tone with language and violence so it is a bit jarring and inconsistent. But thats just america in a nutshell....

Azurro

Banned
Kevin Smith? It just makes me think the new Batman film will be about a butch lesbian Harley Queen that's angry the entire time. :p

ManaByte

This was already announced and Kevin Smith has nothing to do with it.

It's JJ Abrams, Matt Reeves, and Bruce Timm:
Batman_Caped_Crusader_Promo_Poster_May_2021_01.jpeg

Pejo

This was already announced and Kevin Smith has nothing to do with it.

It's JJ Abrams, Matt Reeves, and Bruce Timm:
Batman_Caped_Crusader_Promo_Poster_May_2021_01.jpeg

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Why is Hollywood/WB/Netflix so creatively bankrupt that they have to resort to memberberries shit and make it an objectively and subjectively worse product.

CGiRanger

Banned
While not Smith, seeing JJ Abrams there is just a MAJOR RED FLAG.

Again, this is a guy who helped wreck both Star Wars and Star Trek

ManaByte

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

Why is Hollywood/WB/Netflix so creatively bankrupt that they have to resort to memberberries shit and make it an objectively and subjectively worse product.

Can't be any worse than Batgirl fucking Batman in Bruce Timm's version of The Killing Joke.

Fbh

While not Smith, seeing JJ Abrams there is just a MAJOR RED FLAG.

Again, this is a guy who helped wreck both Star Wars and Star Trek

Dude has never made something good.
Lost was good for a couple of seasons but completely went to shit since he just came up with a bunch of mystery boxes he never intended to answer. And basically everything else of note that he has made is bland shit that relies on Nostalgia to be relevant.

CGiRanger

Banned
Dude has never made something good.
Lost was good for a couple of seasons but completely went to shit since he just came up with a bunch of mystery boxes he never intended to answer. And basically everything else of note that he has made is bland shit that relies on Nostalgia to be relevant.
Which is why I never understood why he became such a freaking bigshot in Hollywood and control over all these huuuge franchises. All I remember from him is LOST, and even that in retrospect was horribly written and most of the "hype" of it was the viewers coming up with their own fan theories and such to explain the bizarre (which apparently had no actual explanations until the very end)

Fbh

Which is why I never understood why he became such a freaking bigshot in Hollywood and control over all these huuuge franchises. All I remember from him is LOST, and even that in retrospect was horribly written and most of the "hype" of it was the viewers coming up with their own fan theories and such to explain the bizarre (which apparently had no actual explanations until the very end)

My guess is because as bad as I find everything him makes to be, he seems to be pretty good at the business side of things.
Dude got on the spotlight with lost and then figured out the massive sales power of nostalgia at just the right time to make a killing from it.

He also smartly doesn't stick around too long. Once people see past the nostalgia and figure out that everything else is shit, he has already moved on to another project.

oagboghi2

It's not so much JJ that they want, but they want to work with Bad Robot. It's a known high-value commodity.

VulcanRaven

He didn't write the whole show. He wrote and directed the pilot episodes but didn't have much to do with the show after that.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The recent two-part adaptation of The Long Halloween is great. And remarkably free of the PC-fication of most stuff these days.

Well recently Keven Smith has proven himself to be a liar, so does that mean that a reboot is not happening? :unsure:

Last edited:
Top Bottom