• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: The King of Superhero Theme Songs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlador

giphy.gif

to contribute something small
the batman gameboy game for the 1989 movie had amazing music, how does batman inspire artists like that?

I think you're right. Even a stinker like Batman: Dark Tomorrow still had some pretty decent Batman music.
Batman: Dark Tomorrow Theme

It was actually kind of astonishing, as someone who grew up more when Justice League was on TV, the Nolan movies took off, and so forth, to grab the DVDs for the 90s animated Batman series and just... watch through the whole series, and realise how much more I liked that version of Batman than what has become contemporary of the character.

I much prefer Batman when he's not just, well, Batman. When Bruce Wayne, as a human being, is as much a legitimate part of the character and his struggle as his costumed counterpart, or his playboy persona if you consider that a separate identity (which to some extent I do).

Back on the subject of theme music though, I actually enjoy the theme used for the latter half of 'The Batman'. It kinda sells the show as a modernised counterpart to the 60s series, which I think is very deliberate given the music cues. I know a lot of people were put off by the show (particularly what it did with the Joker), but I like it.

Sheroking

It was actually kind of astonishing, as someone who grew up more when Justice League was on TV, the Nolan movies took off, and so forth, to grab the DVDs for the 90s animated Batman series and just... watch through the whole series, and realise how much more I liked that version of Batman than what has become contemporary of the character.

I much prefer Batman when he's not just, well, Batman. When Bruce Wayne, as a human being, is as much a legitimate part of the character and his struggle as his costumed counterpart, or his playboy persona if you consider that a separate identity (which to some extent I do).

I love TAS and the DCAU, but those were Saturday morning cartoons. The character existed the way he did because they had a limit to how dark they were allowed to be. It was a show, targeted to children, in the early 1990's.

Make no mistake, though, when Timm and Dini were given a chance to go darker with that character - they took it. Comics, the Arkham games, even future animation. By the time they got to Beyond, they portrayed the character of Bruce as a miserable, bitter old man who was only ever Batman. The Bruce Wayne facade was long gone.

Also, there's nothing contemporary about the portrayal of Batman you dislike. That rose to prominence a full decade before TAS with Frank Miller.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!
I love TAS and the DCAU, but those were Saturday morning cartoons. The character existed the way he did because they had a limit to how dark they were allowed to be. It was a show, targeted to children, in the early 1990's.

Make no mistake, though, when Timm and Dini were given a chance to go darker with that character - they took it. Comics, the Arkham games, even future animation. By the time they got to Beyond, they portrayed the character of Bruce as a miserable, bitter old man who was only ever Batman. The Bruce Wayne facade was long gone.

Also, there's nothing contemporary about the portrayal of Batman you dislike. That rose to prominence a full decade before TAS with Frank Miller.

All of this.

Shaanyboi

Banned
DC would try a new approach to Batman with The Batman a few years later.
The Batman theme
Sexy crime noir. Jazzy, a tad campy, but no denying it has a certain style all its own. It was a callback to detective eras long past and, while not my favorite, fit the show's style just fine. They changed up the theme every season, but I felt this was the most effective one.

Cool factoid, this was written by Edge from U2.

Also they later did a super upbeat version in the later seasons that has just a hint of the 60's theme song in the background.

Mechazawa

Bruce being an aged, decrepit shithead in Beyond was intended to serve an ultimate goal. One of which was to contrast Terry, who, like TAS Batman, often had a weak spot for his adversaries. Sometimes naively, but generally out of warranted compassion and with levity. Bruce aged into being an asshole looking to punch some motherfuckers and that didn't trust the system/anyone else, but Beyond/Return of the Joker makes it pretty clear that he didn't necessarily start out that way and it certainly didn't glorify that version of Bruce.

Bruce becoming a (warranted) bitter shit also served as a warning for Terry, especially when they wrap up his storyline in DCAU. He had to learn how to balance the responsibilities of the cowl with his social life and not push others away, something that Bruce never managed to figure out and ultimately consumed him.

Even Justice League Unlimited Batman, which is arguably "prime" Batman and Timm and co's darkest, most brooding and most indifferent take within the DCAU, effectively saves the world because he chooses to empathize with a little girl who's childhood got done raw. Not as the Batman that knocks peoples lights out, but as the bare Bruce Wayne who had his mind read and had to treat someone at their death knell with an ounce of love.

Sheroking

Bruce being an aged, decrepit shithead in Beyond was intended to serve an ultimate goal. One of which was to contrast Terry, who, like TAS Batman, often had a weak spot for his adversaries. Sometimes naively, but generally out of warranted compassion and with levity. Bruce aged into being an asshole looking to punch some motherfuckers and that didn't trust the system/anyone else, but Beyond/Return of the Joker makes it pretty clear that he didn't necessarily start out that way and it certainly didn't glorify that version of Bruce.

Bruce becoming a (warranted) bitter shit also served as a warning for Terry, especially when they wrap up his storyline in DCAU. He had to learn how to balance the responsibilities of the cowl with his social life and not push others away, something that Bruce never managed to figure out and ultimately consumed him.

Even Justice League Unlimited Batman, which is arguably "prime" Batman and Timm and co's darkest, most brooding and most indifferent take within the DCAU, effectively saves the world because he chooses to empathize with a little girl who's childhood got done raw. Not as the Batman that knocks peoples lights out, but as the bare Bruce Wayne who had his mind read and had to treat someone at their death knell with an ounce of love.

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

The narrative purpose of a bitter, aged Bruce in Beyond doesn't change the fact that Timm and Dini have, in multiple mediums, portrayed a Batman far more in-line with the bitter, driven version of the character the poster I quoted was lamenting.The Bruce Wayne of TAS existed because of the nature of that show, the time and the demographic - not any real idea of how the character is or should be.

Pau

Sometimes limits make for more interesting and better decisions. :p Even if it BTAS is for kids, I would argue that the portrayal of Bruce in something like the Arkham games is more immature and less nuanced even if the target audience is older.

At the end of the day, Batman is so popular because different versions work for different people, but I can totally see how someone would enjoy the BTAS version more even if the creators themselves don't seem to.

Garlador

Sometimes limits make for more interesting and better decisions. :p Even if it BTAS is for kids, I would argue that the portrayal of Bruce in something like the Arkham games is more immature and less nuanced even if the target audience is older.

At the end of the day, Batman is so popular because different versions work for different people, but I can totally see how someone would enjoy the BTAS version more even if the creators themselves don't seem to.
Arkham Batman is a "results" guy. He resorts to torture to get what he needs and rebuffs help from friends and family while refusing to confide in those who trust in him. He was acceptable in Arkham Asylum, but by Arkham Knight he was walking awfully close to anti-hero status.

BTAS Batman is more self-controlled and less detached. He does allow himself to be vulnerable and to confide in his companions. I mean, wow, he SMILES too. He expresses more emotions than just bitterness and seething rage. The music of the series is complex and layered because its characters are complex and layered.

I adore the Arkham games still, but I think even a so-called "children's show" has more nuance and maturity than the majority of the Arkham games (or most Batman related media).

I've been watching The Batman on Netflix and I really like the theme song. It's kinda creepy, too bad the show is so toned down for the kiddies it can't reflect the theme song.

Nete

This is incredible. I haven't watched the movie, but man this theme is BEAUTIFUL. Probably my favorite after the Batman 1989 Elfman one.

Go and watch it!

Unless you haven't read the comic book. Then you may want to save it for once you have watched BvS :p

rekameohs

Banned
Bro, your "The Dark Knight theme" that's supposedly a lot better than the Batman Begins soundtrack is Molossus from the Batman Begins soundtrack.

Garlador

The Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman theme is pretty nifty.
Mystery of the Batwoman theme

I love how some of the best themes just SOUND mysterious. A lot of Batman themes just focus on the action element - fast, loud, dynamic, energized - while neglecting that there is a very thoughtful, insightful, detective side of Batman that so many mediums tend to gloss over just to make yet another tent-pole action film.

Themes like this make me feel like there's something unknown, something I want to investigate and discover. I love themes like that.

Garlador

Okay, I was alerted that I had skipped the Filmation Batman series.

... and good lord, is the Filmation Batman cartoon something else. I HAVE to share.

Batman 1968 Intro
Ah! The seizure-inducing flashing colors! The campy, generic soundtrack! Whereas the Adam West series at LEAST had a memorable main melody, even the presence of Adam West and Burt Ward doesn't make this sound even the least bit like anything Batman related.

But about a decade later, they gave it another shot.

Batman 1977 Intro and Credits
... And it's just as generically bad. The score sounds like it was recycled from any number of generic cartoons running at the time, though it strangely fits a Batman who has recently discovered the wonderful joys of parkour as he flips and spins his way across the rooftops to the Batmobile in the most indirect way imaginable. Also, Batmite, because the 70s kids.

While some Batman soundtracks and themes are definitely dated, they're at least memorable. For these two... I just watched them and I already have forgotten a single melody. A rare miss for the Dark Knight.

Solo

Loving see others echo that the theme from The Dark Knight Returns is great. It is awesome and so is the movie.

Many years ago I thought the original Danny Elfman Batman Theme was the best.
But now, IMO, the Mask of the Phantasm surpass it.

Sure you could say if it wasn't for Elfman's theme, Shirley's wouldn't exist (the way it is now). But her evolution of the music just grabs a hold of something in me (a piece of my soul :/ ).

While Elfman's theme made me feel excitement, Shirley's theme just makes me feel so many different things all at once. It's rare that a music track will do that so I HAVE to give the number 1 spot, for the greatest Batman theme, to the late and great Shirley Walker!

ZoddGutts

While watching a Korean variety show, the Brave and the Bold Batman theme song started, got me off guard. They usually use popular Western shows music like the BBC Sherlock one.

I feel like so many Batman themes work so well because Batman as a character is weirdly adaptable to just so many different types of atmospheres.

Batman obviously has evolved as a character from his creation. From his early Detective Comics run he started out as a dark, solo vigilante on the run from the police who was fine with killing. On one hand he would hit a man into an acid tank and on another he would take out an entire Zeppelin bombing a city. It was eerie, pulpy, and somewhat otherworldly altogether.

Once he got his own comic he obviously started to lighten up and soon slowly developed a returning rogues gallery. Then came the crossovers with Superman, the Silver Age, and the 60's show and Batman became a light-hearted crime fighter taking on wacky criminals with crazy gadgets and living a fairly content life.

However the bronze age came and with it brought a much darker, grimmer take on the character. We saw Batman pushed to his physical and mental limits, taking on more psychotic and deranged foes. Now not just facing the Penguin in a robbery, Batman was taking on people who had lived for centuries and cannibals living in the sewers. Frank Miller popularized the image of Batman not as shining hero but as a dark knight as crazy as his the villains he fought and obsessed with his war on crime to the point of self destruction. One could only imagine how a man like this could face so many horrors like this and not come apart. When the Batman 1989 movie came out it seemed to personify the Gothic, moody, shift Batman stories had turned to where Gotham was always dark and the only shred of hope came from the light of the Bat-Signal.

It was then that the impossible happened. Batman lost. He lost his allies and partners, some voluntarily leaving and others killed in the conflict. Eventually he himself was even broken. Batman was shown to be vulnerable, human. It's a much more fascinating look at a character. For decades the Bat was written to be seen as the peak of human potential and yet at the end of the day humankind cannot do everything. The Animated Series highlighted this as Batman repeatedly failed to save the souls of his enemies and friends despite his best intentions leading to their demises and his own bitterness.

Yet Batman would not go alone in this war forever. The Justice League shows and Brave and the Bold had showed us a Batman unafraid of taking allies.

However Batman could not remain this way. He had to adapt with the times. In the new millennium he became a more technologically advanced then we had ever seen before employing near futuristic gadgets. He began taking on more and more criminals that were less costumed freak and more nightmarish terror as ghosts of Bruce Wayne's past came back to haunt him and Gotham entered the new age with evil evolving. The Nolan movies illustrated Batman not as as a simple superhero but as a man driven by tragedy to fight the only way he learned he could, on his own.

It was then that Batman died, and shift occured. Now the mantle had been passed to his first partner, Dick Grayson and the Robin mantle passed to Bruce Wayne's own son. From this we saw a more relatable Batman. He became less broody and more empathetic. We saw what was once a broken up relationship between past partners and people turn into a family surrounding the Bat. The creation of Batman Inc. in the comics signaled in many ways Batman's acceptance of his human nature, that he can't face this war on his own.

However now Batman in an ever stranger place. His family was nearly broken apart but one of his arch nemesis. His own flesh and blood son was killed. He himself is lost following a final battle with the Joker. The Arkham games themselves almost mirror a Batman slowly but surely becoming more of a loner than before. Yet is that the end? It isn't. For as long as Gotham is in need of a Batman, he will be there returning in the form the city needs, that we desire in our age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom