• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1943, Bad company 1-2 and are being delisted on April 28th

Sleepwalker

As we close in on 15 years since the release of Battlefield 1943, and Bad Company™ 1 & 2 and Mirror’s Edge, we are announcing that their journey is coming to an end.

Starting April 28 2023, Battlefield 1943, Battlefield: Bad Company 1 & 2 and Mirror’s Edge will be removed from digital storefronts and you will no longer be able to purchase them. This is in preparation for the retirement of the online services for these titles which will happen on December 8 2023. For Bad Company 1 & 2 and Mirror’s Edge, you can still continue playing them and use their respective offline features, such as the single player campaign. You can also read our FAQ and Service Updates for further information on the retirement of online services.

Edit: Mirror's Edge no longer being delisted, they've ammended the announcement.

If any mod can edit the title that would be great, thanks!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
I never understand why these things happen. Surely it can't take up any significant amount of (financial) resources to keep something like BF1943 up and running? How many people still play that anyway, a few hundred if that? In the name of game preservation and keeping the fans happy why shut it down?

Kuranghi

Fucking WHY!?

Mirror's Edge online component and leaderboards have been dead for years, BC 1 & 2 are still active. Don't know about 1943, but I can't imagine it's totally dead.
wait... why? that makes no sense to me...

"Look don't question it guys, its in the past now! Woo heres the next shiny thing, woooo woooo!"
"But I still want to play it..."
"Nah you don't you're wrong, stfu idiot!"

Skyfox

This is just the thin end of the wedge to normalise deactivating bigger and bigger titles.

Edit:
In reality they just devalue their brand and product offerings.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm a bit confused why EA feel the need to take off Mirror's Edge just because they're sunsetting its minor online component while promising people can continue to keep playing the SP mode.

It is a *single player* game.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I never understand why these things happen. Surely it can't take up any significant amount of (financial) resources to keep something like BF1943 up and running? How many people still play that anyway, a few hundred if that? In the name of game preservation and keeping the fans happy why shut it down?

Because an insignificant amount is still more than zero. And EA prpbably isn't directly making barely (if any) money off it.

Too many people keep going back to BC2 and EA want to pigeon hole them into the shit 2043 game so they can sell Micros. Legit reason!

Or they can to give them the 'remaster' treatment, Either way I'm still waiting on EA to fix the Burnout Paradise remaster as it continues to not work on PC years after release with a 140+ page thread on their support forums.

Dog shit company, Nuf said!

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Boo, rubbish, pish, utter nonsense, how could they do this, oh the humanity, fuck EA, they're evil, et etc

'Oh look, a new Star Wars game. EA da best'

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Gotta remember to buy BC1 and 2 on my Series X tonight. Have had them on my wishlist for awhile waiting for a sale.

I think I have BC2 on PC already, but need to check. Mirror's Edge I have like four copies of so I'm good.

kicker

Banned
If I recall, someone at DICE said they had no time for "Mirror's edge-type projects".

Poor ea is trying to reduce expenses. Wouldn't be surprised to hear them announce layoffs soon along with the rest of the tech industry

darrylgorn

Are you going to buy 2042 instead?

Ninja edit lol
-

I really wish they would remaster the Bad Company games, especially 1. Had an awesome story and is limited to PS3 or 360. It's playable on Series X, but with no enhances if I remember correctly.

Yeah, I meant 2042, oopsie.

Anyway, certainly have no problem staying away from any multiplayer related EA games.

danklord

Gold Member
In the near future publishers will catch on to the profitable idea of re-releasing games in their original state with online play restored, and the cycle of violence will continue again.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Surprise, surprise, EA fucking sucks. What a shock.

Luckily the communities for those games will keep them alive. They nuked Battlefield 2142 a long time ago but people still be playing that game with 3rd party tools.

RAIDEN1

Soon enough the last great battlefield game B.C 3, will be gone as well, best snap that up while you can! (It's one of those titles on my bucket-list)

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Remasters confirmed

praise him steve harvey GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Fucking WHY!?

Mirror's Edge online component and leaderboards have been dead for years, BC 1 & 2 are still active. Don't know about 1943, but I can't imagine it's totally dead.

Why would they want you to play their better older games instead of their newer shittier ones? Kill the servers and if you want to play BF, you are forced to play the newer ones full of MTX and trash.

EDMIX

That fact that they were even online for as long as they were is a great thing.

Gamers move on. Last time I even checked BFBC2, the shit was a damn near ghost town. So stopping support for a game generations after release isn't the end of the world.

I'd worry more about Overwatch 1 being closed to push Overwatch 2 lol

Fredrik Fredrik Sure but, thats always been the case with online games. There has never been any time in gaming where we had some game on disk or digital where its online continued for life or something.

So I also worry about a digital future, but this wouldn't be one of those worries. This would happen regardless of how those games were delivered as its not like they are digital only titles. So hopefully in the future we see something where gamers can just use their own computers as servers or something to allow them to live on or something.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

I'm a bit confused why EA feel the need to take off Mirror's Edge just because they're sunsetting its minor online component while promising people can continue to keep playing the SP mode.

It is a *single player* game.
It might be in the pipeline for a remake à la Deadspace 2023.

Drizzlehell

Banned
This thread made me nostalgic and I reinstalled BF 1943 which I haven't played since my PS3 days. I didn't even realize that it's available on Xbox in backwards compatibility, what a blast from the past. I remember playing this soo much in like 2009 on PS3.

EA are fucking cunts.

Top Bottom