• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1943, Bad company 1-2 and are being delisted on April 28th

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sad Baby GIF
Sad Road Trip GIF by Hyper RPG

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
This would happen regardless of how those games were delivered as its not like they are digital only titles. So hopefully in the future we see something where gamers can just use their own computers as servers or something to allow them to live on or something.
exactly and it's why i get pissed at the people who make those 'digital only future' comments in threads like these. physical games get taken off store shelves too to make way for the newer stuff and just like how you can go to a thrift store and get a copy of the game physically, you can buy a key of a delisted game and redeem it to be in your library.

Imtjnotu

BC2 is for my money one of the best multiplayer games ever. The destruction catapulted it to a whole new level and EA has never even bothered to try topping it. I don’t even think they could if they wanted to.
BF has never reached the peak of this game. and that article a few years back on them being confused as to why its loved so much, made me realize EA were a bunch of fucking idiots

nothing was better than dropping an entire building on control point campers was the best thing ever.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So hopefully in the future we see something where gamers can just use their own computers as servers or something to allow them to live on or something.
We used to have just that. Dedicated server clients, companies that you can rent server hosting for custom game modes, etc..

My buddy and I would run dedicated clients for UT, Quake 3, JK2, etc., on old PCs when we built new ones to game on.

Man, those were indeed the golden and glory years of online gaming. Now we are restricted to limited play lists that are a boredom snooze fest of what the developer/publisher deems us worthy to play, just so they can sell us new modes since we're starved to death.

Youngin's won't know how good it used to be.

EDMIX

that'd be easy to do if BFV and BF2042 weren't hogwash. you think we don't want newer better stuff? ofc we do but when the battlefield franchise has been mediocre or 5 years we gotta go back to the more fun entries

Those games still have more people playing them then those old games though...

I'm not debating what you think is or isn't a good game.

The games numbers don't support it continuing to get support regarding servers staying up.

fatmarco

They better not pull that "We're delisting the game" but also "We're not going to put it on sale during the lead up to delisting either" move that we've seen recently.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Managed to get a used copy of Mirror's Edge for $4 in light of this. Since they will likely be de-listing the game from EA Play as well.

adamsapple

Looks like EA have reversed the decision to de-list Mirror's Edge.

Time to cancel that order in the last post lol

Correction March 21st, 5:07PM ET: After we published this story, EA updated its announcement to say that it has “no plans” to delist Mirror’s Edge and said that the original reference to the game had been “an error.”

By the way, this is yet another reminder as to why video games are still seen as being on the toy side of the industry instead of the books/movies side.

No big entity would dare do this for movies like Lord of the Rings or Terminator 2 for example.

diffusionx

Gold Member
BF has never reached the peak of this game. and that article a few years back on them being confused as to why its loved so much, made me realize EA were a bunch of fucking idiots

nothing was better than dropping an entire building on control point campers was the best thing ever.
For me it was just how dynamic and interesting the destruction made each match, like it opened up everything and really was revolutionary. You can play the same map 100 times and it would all play out a little different each time. it was just an amazing game. They could have built on it but went back to scriptshit, it was so disappointing.

Of course the game had other elements that are impossible today, like a reasonable progression system that respected your time and didn’t overwhelm you with crappy meters. We’ve lost so much…

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People complaining about EA delisting games they never bothered buying.

Bad Company 2 has been on sale for under $4 so many times. There’s no excuse.

Last edited:

Warablo

Mirror's Edge is a classic, the sequel was okay, but couldn't capture the magic the first one had. Totally wish I could get a immersive sim to just parkour around in the world with the art and music.

Bad Company was good for its time

Aesius

BF1943 is legitimately the ONLY online FPS I ever got into. It was perfectly balanced. 3 maps, 3 classes that countered each other in a rock, paper, scissors format. No bullshit unlockables. All weapons and vehicles available from the start. It was just pure gameplay, and relatively slow-paced at that. No fast twitch, just tense one-on-one battles with bolt-action rifles.

R6Rider

Gold Member
BF1943 is legitimately the ONLY online FPS I ever got into. It was perfectly balanced. 3 maps, 3 classes that countered each other in a rock, paper, scissors format. No bullshit unlockables. All weapons and vehicles available from the start. It was just pure gameplay, and relatively slow-paced at that. No fast twitch, just tense one-on-one battles with bolt-action rifles.
1943 only had 2 bolt action rifles if I remember correctly.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Physical master race right now
DelightfulUnrealisticDegus-size_restricted.gif
And that helps you how, exactly? Multiplayer will still be dead, disc or not. And while I'll have the games stored neatly in my digital libraries in case I want to play through the campaign again, you're gonna have yet another useless piece of plastic cluttering your shelves.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Aesius

1943 only had 2 bolt action rifles if I remember correctly.
Yeah, the Rifleman and Sniper classes had bolt action. The Infantry class had a fully auto but it was total ass. That class was mostly used for driving and repairing tanks. It also had a bazooka as its secondary weapon to take out tanks.

jm89

And that helps you how, exactly? Multiplayer will still be dead, disc or not. And while I'll have the games stored neatly in my digital libraries in case I want to play through the campaign again, you're gonna have yet another useless piece of plastic cluttering your shelves.

maxresdefault.jpg
Well things have slightly changed now with ea reversing there decision to not de list mirrors edge.

But any single player component would still have been playable as it would have been still available on disc, anyone who has a digital console would have had no option to buy it after the de listing.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'm assuming the server browser for BC2 on PC will still work? If not here's hoping the community figures out a workaround.

Cyberpunkd

Phase

Lets moan about games being delisted, that you've have years to buy beforehand . Got to love modern gaming
Not everyone has heard of a game or had a chance to play it when it's new. I had a tough time getting ahold of Prey 2006 because it's been removed from everywhere. I bought a key, then it turned out the key was mistakenly labeled and was actually the modern Prey (which I already have). I've since downloaded a copy to play, but when games cease to exist it's not a good thing. That's why ppl go on about staying physical. Those games will always exist as long as the physical medium survives. If Mirror's Edge only existed on online storefronts, then they took it away, there'd be no way to get it except through piracy (if it even exists in that realm).

If physical goes away completely, we're at the mercy of whoever owns the rights to said game. Companies die, change hands, merge, etc. If there's no access to a game and it's only digital, then it ceases to exist except in memory. That's not good. IMO if companies want to take away access to an already released game they need to allow it to be open source or free so that players can do what they want with it, like create their own online servers and keep it alive if they want.

xrnzaaas

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sony still selling Gravity Rush despite the online functions being dead? EA could do the same with Mirror's Edge. It would be a shame to lose such a gem only because of the leaderboards.

GametimeUK

Time to buy Mirror's Edge before it gets delisted. The Series X BC version is 4K/60, too good to pass up.
I think Mirror's Edge on Series X is actually an Xbox showpiece game in terms of features.

It has backwards compatibility which is also enhanced in terms of resolution. It has the FPS Boost feature for 60fps. It doesn't really hold a steady 60fps 100% of the time, but VRR really smooths things out when it's needed.

That really is a Frankenstein combination of features that enhance an Xbox 360 game. It's magic.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I think Mirror's Edge on Series X is actually an Xbox showpiece game in terms of features.

It has backwards compatibility which is also enhanced in terms of resolution. It has the FPS Boost feature for 60fps. It doesn't really hold a steady 60fps 100% of the time, but VRR really smooths things out when it's needed.

That really is a Frankenstein combination of features that enhance an Xbox 360 game. It's magic.

Yep, and the first Mirror's Edges very angular and rigid design makes it look extremely clean and sharp in native 4K.

If it wasn't for the 360-gen looking character models, it could pass for a late PS4 Pro / One X caliber game very easily.

I bought Bad Company 2,
I did too. This is about a game being delisted online
Not everyone has heard of a game or had a chance to play it when it's new.
C'Mon get me the violin. People have had over a decade to buy the game. And if you look on ebay you can buy Prey for under a £5 not doubt BF2 doesn't cost much more

People are just looking to bitch about somthing for the shake of it.

I agree, the same is true for Sonic Generations 4k and 60 FPS boost too on Series X

Top Bottom