• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042’s Steam player count ‘falls below 1,000’ for the first time

EDMIX

Edmix is right to be fair. You have to remember that there are a million military shooters on PC, much better ones than this game. Its the main reason why COD has never been as big on PC compared to console.
2042 is probably doing much better on console. The game is still doing badly of course, i'm just saying that using Steam user numbers doesnt always tell the whole story.

True, I use to always wonder why those numbers were so low to the point of them just no longer putting it out on Steam, yet moving some crazy shit like 25 or 30 million on console.

Regardless, I don't mean to say 2042 by any stretch of the imagination is a some massive success for EA, but if its going to be a flop, Steams numbers would never really be any massive indication of much, even with great titles like BF1 that moved 25 million, its count on Steam was really, really low. The base simply doesn't play on there as the majority and i think its simply because of all those years off of steam and then doing the whole Origin thing, I think the base is more solid on console and those base of players play with friends across there.

Similar to the Halo situation. Going from PC and XB, to JUST XB, to back to PC caused a lot of shift to the point where for generations only XB was the place to play that IP, thus the install base will be on XB as the majority, even if the rest of the Halo games going forward are on both PC and XB day and date. Those friends that play together or gamers that are use to the set up might not want to play it on PC, even as an option if they are used to playing that IP now on console.

So a few IP have this weird shift or even the AC titles have that based on that whole DRM fiasco.
Yeah, well.. I bet you haven't even read any of the Predator novels so fuck you!!!
I did own the whole Dark Horse 'Aliens vs Predator' comics as a kid. Does that count?

lol first off.... those AVP comics are legendary! I mainly read the Aliens stuff after, but started with the AVP series.

Stuart360

But how do you know? Could easily be flopping hard on consoles as well.
Well you're right of course. Just like i said there are tons of military games on PC, many of them that still pull in the numbers. On console the variety isnt the same, either because said games are not on console, or because of generations with console.
I'd still bet that combined console numbers for this game are much higher than 1k.

Javthusiast

Banned
andy-samberg.gif

Stuart360

lol first off.... those AVP comics are legendary! I mainly read the Aliens stuff after, but started with the AVP series.
Man the AVP comics were sooo good. I wasnt much of a comics kid but i was a HUGE Alien and Predator fan.
I still own the comics somewhere, i think they are at my Dads packed away. I bet they are probably worth something now lol.

Well you're right of course. Just like i said there are tons of military games on PC, many of them that still pull in the numbers. On console the variety isnt the same, either because said games are not on console, or because of generations with console.
I'd still bet that combined console numbers for this game are much higher than 1k.
It goes both ways, on consoles it has to compete with CoD.

1K or even 10K should be nothing for a franchise like Battlefield.

Last edited:

Urban

sad.

Jesus christ, I must live in some of your minds rent free lol

Halo has like 3k or so players on Steam, yet charts in the top 10 on XB.

Sooooooo yea, different install bases play different games, news at 11. Call Of Duty should be on deaths door step as its not even on steam using this neck beard logic.

@jaysius BFV failed harder and you still got 2042 so.....yea.

Good luck with that

See you at the next BF launch lol
imagine comparing a console heavy game to a pc heavy game

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

EDMIX

imagine comparing a console heavy game to a pc heavy game

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

lol nah, BF has not been PC heavy in a long time. To the point of even the last few not even launching on PC day and date..thats my point btw, that inconstant release, having several different stores like Origins, a lot of that thinned out that install base on PC big time, but for other IP, it can be anything really.

Bad PC releases like you saw with Batman Arkham Knight
DRM like you saw with AC series
Random releases like you saw with Halo
or a combination of or something.

but enough have done this in gaming that we all know a few IP that do poorly on 1 platform vs another or more poorly or something like that. Its not saying BF 2042 is number 1 on XB or PSN, its saying being ranked low on Steam for BF IP is as much news as COD ranking low on Steam or Halo.

They are IP that as of right now, generally do not do well on PC.

The next BF could literally move like 25 million units and still do poorly on Steam bud, Call Of Duty does bigger numbers and still does poorly on Steam lol

TwinB242

Game still has quite a few annoying bugs but the biggest issue for me is the lack of new content. 6 months since launch and there are no new maps, weapons, modes, or anything of the sort? seriously DICE?

MrA

Banned
look on the bright side that is TRIPLE what bad company 2 is doing, so it must be 3 times as good!
and almost half as many battlefield 4,
.... let's not talk about vs bf 5 or one cause that's not fair

ClosBSAS

My favourite defense of this was something like "yeah but that's only steam more people play on consoles".
not only on steam...but that the pc playerbase was so small compared to consoles that it didnt matter....thus why bf3, 4 and bad company sold millions on pc. it was said the pc crowd for this franchise was dead.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I think there's a culmination of factors which has lead to this mess of a game. Mostly stemming from the tone-deaf reaction of DICE and EA to embrace their audience's wants and needs.

This isn't a Battlefield game.

It's weird to see a dev openly wage war against its own fan base... and then double down on the unpopular things they were adamant on force feeding to the community. I guess this is the culmination of that lol.

But yeah, the BF 2-4 and Bad Company games... they gone. This sadly isn't that DICE anymore.

VN1X

Banned
Man the AVP comics were sooo good. I wasnt much of a comics kid but i was a HUGE Alien and Predator fan.
I still own the comics somewhere, i think they are at my Dads packed away. I bet they are probably worth something now lol.
Sorry for off topic here but yes you definitely need to check what you still have. Some of those go for crazy money! Even some of the pred novels, like South China Sea or Turnabout, are worth a good amount now.

RafterXL

sad.

Jesus christ, I must live in some of your minds rent free lol

Halo has like 3k or so players on Steam, yet charts in the top 10 on XB.

Sooooooo yea, different install bases play different games, news at 11. Call Of Duty should be on deaths door step as its not even on steam using this neck beard logic.

@jaysius BFV failed harder and you still got 2042 so.....yea.

Good luck with that

See you at the next BF launch lol
No, people just remember the stupid shit you constantly say.

It's also hilarious you unironically link the Xbox most played list, which BF2042 also isn't on. It's also not on the most played PS4 or PS5 charts or anywhere else.

So where the fuck is this "different install base" for 2042? They don't exist. Eat your crow.

MrA

Banned
No, people just remember the stupid shit you constantly say.

It's also hilarious you unironically link the Xbox most played list, which BF2042 also isn't on. It's also not on the most played PS4 or PS5 charts or anywhere else.

So where the fuck is this "different install base" for 2042? They don't exist. Eat your crow.
They're playing at the unicorn farm in his mind. Millions a thing of beauty

EDMIX

Infinite is already worse off since it's free.

Agreed, thats why I don't really buy that some F2P thing would change any of this.

The game must first be good to even work for that model. Like I say, the game might be free, but my time isn't. So much is needed to correct this game its not even funny, its literally being redesigned, but i feel its simply not enough and that new BF would need to be made from the ground up.

2042 fans deserve the fixes.
Everyone else deserves a better BF title after.

GenericUser

I payed 60 bucks for this shit. After 3 or 4 weeks, I realized how bad the game is. I tried to sell it, but the prices already plummeted to like 15 bucks per used copy. So I kept that reeking pile of shit, but I honestly have zero hope for the game. The base game design is just so broken in so many ways. They would need to remake major parts of the game to "fix" it and we all know that EA ain't gonna allow that AND that neo-DICE doesn't really care about battlefield anymore.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since BF3, the new games come out every 2 or 3 years. So you're not going to get a BF sequel until either 2023 or 2024. Which means for you dedicated BF fans, you either play older games or play 2042 and hope for tons of fixes the next 2-3 years.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
EDMIX EDMIX

Battlefield 2042 doesn't even exists on the list you linked: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox

Same story for PlayStation side: https://ps-timetracker.com/statistic/last-7-days

In fact, only Battlefield V and 4 are on that PlayStation top list.

I'd say those stats look even worse than this under 1000 players on Steam.
Nowhere on Canada Top 50 played. I even went to the Top Paid link. The game is so dead, it is roughly ranked 400th in sales on page 5 that says Games 361-450. This is where it ranks.

On the plus side it ranked higher than Clone Drone in the Danger Zone and Jackbox 7.

QgQZKJd.jpg

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

Nah, some of you are literally obsessed with the mentions to the point of making numerous threads to tell us a count, that wasn't told upon other titles in the very same series.

That isn't defending a game, thats fucking telling you Steam has never actually had the majority of BF players....

Telling me how low its going is fucking irrelevant, look at BF3's numbers on Steam.

That would be like me posting about that every fucking week at trying to @ you for attention or something...so yea, living rent free in some of your minds here lol

I mean, its literally why none of you have made a Call Of Duty concern thread talking about it missing from Steam =) Soooo doesn't sound like anyone really cares about how much sense it makes or not, its simply posted to bash users on here you guys are obsessed with lol
Again: comparing steam numbers doesn‘t make sense when other battlefield games have been origin exclusive for years. Zero people played Battlefield 3….or 4….or V on steam at launch because the game was just not there. Why don‘t you just agree that 2042 is in deep shit and has been for months?

EDMIX

have been
yea...."been", its no longer that huge PC title anymore.

Those days are done.
because the game was just not there.
yea, its not there at launch sir, as to why you'd see less support it on PC long term, its not there at launch because EA simply didn't care enough about that install base and it never really made a massive difference to those games doing well or not.

BF1 moved 25 million, coming on PC late...DIDN'T DO SHIT to that games numbers, thats the fucking point lol
Why don‘t you just agree that 2042 is in deep shit and has been for months?

It has been in deep shit, where you are getting thats being fucking denied? lol The fuck? Sorry man, you want to fucking argue over something thats not being debated. I've said many times this game should have never released in 2021 and even going F2P will not help this game, I never once said its not in deep shit or anything like that.

Quote what i'm saying, stop making up shit to argue. Its almost as if you want to keep fighting about something cause Steam numbers isn't some slam dunk. The game has issues, the game didn't move units that EA thought it would, but Steam's low ass numbers isn't it bud.

BF1 also had really low numbers on Steam, oh yea and also by your own fucking words "was just not there", yet moved 25 million units. Thus, it didn't need to be on Steam day 1 to move record numbers, its low sales on Steam didn't mean it flopped and that install base has never been the main factor for that IP for generations now.

This is telling you Steam is not the reason for 2042's flop. It will not the answer to the next BF doing well either, again...BF1 moved record units, yet flopped on Steam. This is not telling 2042 is not in deep shit, read the fucking post slowly sir....its telling you that Steams numbers will not give any real indication on if its doing well or not.

Thats why those last BF titles skipped Steam at launch. The worst selling BF and BEST selling BF both flopped on Steam.

If you can't get that point and are still fucking trying to fight about this shit and think I'm saying it to pretend its not in um "deep shit" i don't know what to tell you. That is a narrative you guys have put together btw.

KaiserBecks

yea...."been", its no longer that huge PC title anymore.

Those days are done.

yea, its not there at launch sir, as to why you'd see less support it on PC long term, its not there at launch because EA simply didn't care enough about that install base and it never really made a massive difference to those games doing well or not.

BF1 moved 25 million, coming on PC late...DIDN'T DO SHIT to that games numbers, thats the fucking point lol

It has been in deep shit, where you are getting thats being fucking denied? lol The fuck? Sorry man, you want to fucking argue over something thats not being debated. I've said many times this game should have never released in 2021 and even going F2P will not help this game, I never once said its not in deep shit or anything like that.

Quote what i'm saying, stop making up shit to argue. Its almost as if you want to keep fighting about something cause Steam numbers isn't some slam dunk. The game has issues, the game didn't move units that EA thought it would, but Steam's low ass numbers isn't it bud.

BF1 also had really low numbers on Steam, oh yea and also by your own fucking words "was just not there", yet moved 25 million units. Thus, it didn't need to be on Steam day 1 to move record numbers, its low sales on Steam didn't mean it flopped and that install base has never been the main factor for that IP for generations now.

This is telling you Steam is not the reason for 2042's flop. It will not the answer to the next BF doing well either, again...BF1 moved record units, yet flopped on Steam. This is not telling 2042 is not in deep shit, read the fucking post slowly sir....its telling you that Steams numbers will not give any real indication on if its doing well or not.

Thats why those last BF titles skipped Steam at launch. The worst selling BF and BEST selling BF both flopped on Steam.

If you can't get that point and are still fucking trying to fight about this shit and think I'm saying it to pretend its not in um "deep shit" i don't know what to tell you. That is a narrative you guys have put together btw.

I'm starting to think that this must have hit some kind of nerve, however your condescending tone isn't really appropriate, "bud". You can put words in my mouth and twist and turn this any way you want: what you're saying has nothing to do with reality.

Trunim

Imagine working on this trash right now, trying to save something that no one cares about. Bury it together with Anthem and do a big rebuild of Dice. Or trash that shit too. Take inspiration from Hazelight studios and do something unique.

Last edited:
Got to give credit to the marketing guys for convincing so many people that this was going to replicate the BF4 experience, just with 2x as many players and huge maps and a beta that we all played!

Is there any chance that more traditional multiplayer FPS games just don't really penetrate the market as much now that trends have veered toward more Battle Royale related content?

Warzone, Apex Legends and others seem to have stolen the spotlight from your more traditional 6v6 games. I know that BF2042 isn't a good game and certainly not a good Battlefield game, but was this game entering a market when the more casual audience seems to be more fixated upon a more grind-y, seasonal model in BR games as opposed to the standard Battlefield experience (even if the "classic" BF experience is something old-heads like me prefer)

Cyborg

Well deserved! Its so heartbreaking for all the employees that worked so hard on it but C-lvl at DICE and EA is to blame here!

Dr.D00p

Strange but true.. I had more fun playing 6-8hrs of BF 2042 during the free trial weekend than i ever did playing BF 5.

The only thing I can put it down to is that i simply enjoy shooters with modern weaponry more, than historic, at least in the BF series.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Well deserved! Its so heartbreaking for all the employees that worked so hard on it but C-lvl at DICE and EA is to blame here!

Going on the leaks, it sounds like a small group of management kept pushing for the changes over the objections of the devs who were actually making the game. The management seemed to be trying to attract gen z, which is understandable, only they ended up turning off their long time fans and failing to rope in gen z anyways.

Top Bottom