• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 is bleeding players as launch issues continue

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
In 2 years time you'll hear the 'it's really decent now, also can't wait for Battlefield 3068.' 😄
I will eventually buy it

tCubh2Y.jpg

Imtjnotu

I swear to god this is the dumbest fucking bug ever, how is this not fixed after 4 weeks?

I boot up my PS5, get in a game, get the loadout bug and straight up close the game. Haven't touched it in a week. What a shitshow.
I literally quit the game and load it just to get stick on the other side

EDMIX

Yesterday, peak players count was only ~250 ahead of BFV on Steam lol.
Now it's on sale and has a free weekend.

1. Steam has never been the majority of BF players, it would be like trying to see if Call Of Duty flopped based on how many are playing on steam. It doesn't make as much sense as you want it to.

2. All BF titles go on sale after release, looking it up a few times I don't see any time in the series where it didn't go on sale on the holidays as that is more of a EA thing as a publisher then any indication on good or bad, we see that from Sony, Ubisoft and a few other publishers and many times its hard to gauge much from a sale when even the biggest sellers, went on sale.

So I get its the hot take thing to do to make it seem as if this massive thing is going on, but to know if its out of the ordinary, you first need to know what is ordinary for this IP and publisher and install base. I'd argue more evidence suggest it would be weird if it was never on sale after, had higher player count on Steam despite lots of evidence the majority don't play on that platform etc. More signs show this as normal then abnormal.

I mean, have you seen the Call Of Duty numbers on steam?

Its not saying BF2042 doesn't need some work, simply that its hard to look at these figures and make it seem as if that is based on 2042 solely or something, using this logic Call Of Duty is flop or something lol This just sounds like Steam doesn't play much BF or COD and its primarily a console thing.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I will admit I bought it for Series X since it was on sale for $39 and while the guns feel better its still a long way off from being a fun finished game so for the time being its back off my SSD to make room and hope it gets better one day

Fare thee well

Neophyte
So what is everyone's alternative to BF and CoD these days? Halo, Apex? Actually curious as I've been out of the FPS world for quite some time except for screwing around with the Groundbranch Alpha or messing around in the old Angels Fall First.

EDMIX

I will admit I bought it for Series X since it was on sale for $39 and while the guns feel better its still a long way off from being a fun finished game so for the time being its back off my SSD to make room and hope it gets better one day

I got to play for a few hours last night and felt it was the most solid I've seen a BF title weeks after release. Not perfect, but most BF titles imho don't feel solid weeks after, granted I played more now, then at release where I only had time for a rew matches, the 5 hour session I had was probably the longest since it came out. Played a bit of Portal with 64 player Rush (completely fucking insane btw) and a few conquest matches.

So I agree its a ways off from feeling finished, but I expect that from BF as they always add new things over time anyway content wise. Only thing I think I even want right now is that score board lol Its even more odd cause their like "get this many kills for this weekly mission" and I'm like "HOW BRUH?" lol So I think it was likely some technical issue, but having fun with it right now, I would not trade being able to play it currently with a delay for that feature. When they get it, I'll be hype for sure, but playing is what I want to do.

I'll likely wait a few weeks before buying the next BF as they basically always go on sale regardless of how the do. Last one moved really low units....sale, this one moved like 4 plus million in a week.......sale lol We have both situations to show a sale will happen regardless so next BF, we'll hold out as I didn't even have the time to even fucking play it much before that sale came anyway lol

Fare thee well Fare thee well thats a hard one. I don't really play much online games these days and really just stick to Battlefield, like all last gen was pretty much just the BF IP for MP games and just went HAM on single player games. I feel a game really needs to do something different for me to care in terms of online. Maybe I'm just jaded with MP stuff or something lol

I might pick up that Back 4 Blood game to support Turtle rock as I heard good things and love the L4D concept. I don't have much alternates these days for BF, thats hard concept to pull off for even DICE, let alone some other IP, so I might just stick with BF for the foreseeable future for MP stuff

Last edited:

EDMIX

On PC it's still pretty much APEX, PUBG, and CS:GO.

I'm still shocked on how massive that APEX game is. It goes to show that some massive MP title can come out of nowhere theses days. Its why we even see so many jumping on that as its hard to argue with those results. Like many might laugh that LawBreakers game flopping, but if it was some 100 million user game, people would just make it sound like "OH OF course cause MP" lol

We don't really know where the next one will come from, but there will be a next one and its why we see many publishers putting some money behind that concept. The want to be the next PUBG, APEX etc

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I got to play for a few hours last night and felt it was the most solid I've seen a BF title weeks after release. Not perfect, but most BF titles imho don't feel solid weeks after, granted I played more now, then at release where I only had time for a rew matches, the 5 hour session I had was probably the longest since it came out. Played a bit of Portal with 64 player Rush (completely fucking insane btw) and a few conquest matches.

So confirmed you never played a Battlefield before 4 then...

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So what is everyone's alternative to BF and CoD these days? Halo, Apex? Actually curious as I've been out of the FPS world for quite some time except for screwing around with the Groundbranch Alpha or messing around in the old Angels Fall First.
Hell Let Loose

Its been awhile since a shooter has given me this kind of atmosphere and feeling of dreed trying to cross an open field and all of a sudden seeing my team ahead of getting mowed down by LMG fire.

When people coordinate with mics, which actually happens a lot, this game is amazing

I swear to god this is the dumbest fucking bug ever, how is this not fixed after 4 weeks?

I boot up my PS5, get in a game, get the loadout bug and straight up close the game. Haven't touched it in a week. What a shitshow.
Is that the bug where you can't switch load outs after starting a match so you're pretty much stuck with the same weapon the whole match through?

EDMIX

it was the most solid I've seen a BF title weeks after release.

So confirmed you never played a Battlefield before 4 then...

I mean...I own BF4 day 1, but weeks and even months after release I couldn't even get into a server, let alone fucking play it for hours on end.

So 2042 can be played, but isn't perfect weeks later

BF4 was literally unplayable lol foh

BF3 had issues too, that battlelog issue, server browser issue, missing voice chat function as that came later, I literally been playing the series day 1 since 2142 lol They launch with issues, BF4 being the worst, but 2042 simply isn't the worst we've seen.

So...maybe you should go back and look up those past launches

edit. Literally look at that fucking date! Soooo as someone that owns BF4 day 1, I could not play it day 1. Its one of the few times an issue was so bad, it rendered the game unplayable. I even tried to play the single player and found out that shit was buggy too and it reset all of my progress so I just stopped playing it, it wasn't until almost a year later with many patches was that game actually running at all. Not a few fucking days or weeks, MONTHS, a whole ass year lol

" think about DICE and how frustrating it is that what seem to me like misplaced priorities as a developer are screwing the millions of gamers who paid $60 for a copy of Battlefield 4 and can't play it right now because the servers don't work." Read the comments then too, you'll see how people actually felt for those months =)

I never had that issue with BF1, BFV or 2042. They have issues, not BF4 you can't fucking enter a server for months issues. Nothing like that. So I see its YOU who likely didn't play BF4, at least not at launch lol

GnomeChimpsky GnomeChimpsky lol look up the actual numbers for all the Battlefields on Steam, then look up the Call Of Duty numbers....they have never been high on that platform. So they are low......but they've always been low. That isn't something new, people just want to cherry pick the number for shock value.

Last edited:
I mean...I own BF4 day 1, but weeks and even months after release I couldn't even get into a server, let alone fucking play it for hours on end.

So 2042 can be played, but isn't perfect weeks later

BF4 was literally unplayable lol foh

GnomeChimpsky GnomeChimpsky lol look up the actual numbers for all the Battlefields on Steam, then look up the Call Of Duty numbers....they have never been high on that platform. So they are low......but they've always been low. That isn't something new, people just want to cherry pick the number for shock value.
I was just answering the guy. I don't care about all this other bullshit drama.

You're right BF4 was in a terrible state at launch though. Me and a friend played BF3 religiously and we had to wait months and months for BF4 to be playable.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I was just answering the guy. I don't care about all this other bullshit drama.

You're right BF4 was in a terrible state at launch though. Me and a friend played BF3 religiously and we had to wait months and months for BF4 to be playable.

Same. its why I'm more open to them patching it and giving them that time to update it as BF4 was such a great game with given time to fix those issues. I would have been missing out on a legendary MP title if I skipped it based on the first weeks issues.

Being able to even play 2042 without much issue and only having an issue with the scoreboard right now is a massive plus, even with such a rocky launch. It could be worse and I've liked many BF in the past that have had lots of issues at launch

Urban

I play BF5 a lot. Having a blast. I always try BF2042 for awhile but give up after 30-40 mins because it just doesn’t feel good .

EDMIX EDMIX so if it didn’t flop and EA makes their games on sales then why is BFV at a higher price than BF2042 on steam ?^^

EDMIX

I play BF5 a lot. Having a blast. I always try BF2042 for awhile but give up after 30-40 mins because it just doesn’t feel good .

EDMIX EDMIX so if it didn’t flop and EA makes their games on sales then why is BFV at a higher price than BF2042 on steam ?^^

Because BF 2042 is on sale....

As to why BFV came out and was also on sale and older BF titles cost more money then it....at the time of that sale...

So none of this means much when BF 2042's launch week is like millions more units then BFV, yet both went on sale, it means going on sale might not be some strong indication on good or bad if they seem to do this regardless.

BFV isn't even on that list btw, yet when it was on sale, people made it sound like it MUST be based on flop or not, yet all the BF titles go on sale after release. It just sounds like a EA thing, like how Sony, Ubisoft etc have sales during the holidays or after a major game release.

Urban

Im on mobile and I would love to discuss with you on the weekend but here is just my thought:

i think it did only sell good in the first weeks and now nobody is buying it for that price anymore because they Heard- and saw the news/videos about how bad it was and EA try’s to damage control and squeeze out maximum the profit before it will most likely end up on ps+ or gp.

i think the time of full price mp games are over.
Btw join me on the weekend for some BFV rounds. It’s good !

EDMIX

Im on mobile and I would love to discuss with you on the weekend but here is just my thought:

i think it did only sell good in the first weeks and now nobody is buying it for that price anymore because they Heard- and saw the news/videos about how bad it was and EA try’s to damage control and squeeze out maximum the profit before it will most likely end up on ps+ or gp.

i think the time of full price mp games are over.
Btw join me on the weekend for some BFV rounds. It’s good !

I'd love to chat on it some time when I get the free time. np

Its hard to say. BFV had a worse launch in terms of controversy, didn't even come close to the past BF titles, yet moved like 9 million units. So I think in terms of revenue, yea they've already banked and like don't care going forward, but in terms of units sold, they will be just fine if BFV can move 9 million or so post launch. I'd argue this game moving massive units might point to full price MP games continuing. I see public reactions regarding BF 2042, I don't see enough really hit on the sale to really say doom and gloom just yet as we've been there before where Battlefront was suppose to flop or Far Cry 5 was suppose to flop and omg look how mad people are or oh my look at that 80% drop after launch etc

For those games to break records means the following. Not everyone's reactions is the majority, Data used to make something look bad first must looked at to even see if this is rare, unusual and uncommon etc. Steam's numbers are just not enough to tell me BF 2042 did this or that just yet. We need more data then holiday sales and steam as that is normal for BF's history and EA's history in general. Something would need to occur that is against the norm for the IP based on the majority, but I digress lol

DeaDPo0L84

Using the fact that the game is on sale+numbers being low on a launcher that supports the smallest player base for the game in question is borderline old man yelling at clouds.

Games go on sale, games especially go on sale around that magical period called, wait for it, Christmas. GotG is 1/3 the price it was at launch and it's a recent release and probably my goty, that must mean it's a pile of shit right?

Also I'd argue the price that BF2042 can currently be had at is really the price it should've launched at in the first place regardless of its launch state. $30 for a 100% mp focused game where its also gonna ask me to invest in passes along the way is a acceptable structure.

I bought in @ $40 on PC and currently I'm right at 80 hours played and level 61. There's some minor nitpicks still but the recent updates have really got the game to a bright spot and I actively look forward to playing even while still getting through the Halo campaign and new Destiny content.

The current Steam user base and 2042 Steam sales are big enough to draw the conclusion that it has poor player retention. It had 100k concurrent players at launch, which translates to 850k - 1 million copies sold, as indicated by past data. That Henderson guy said 20% of the players are on Steam. If we believe his sales numbers than we should believe this too.
How many players could there be on Origin, which is on life support anyway? I can't imagine many people are buying it there or on Epic and the key websites don't have big discounts for Origin keys.

BFV came to Steam two years after launch and it somehow has almost as many peak players as the newest release lmao

What other paid multiplayer games that had a decent launch are bleeding players like this?

Steamcharts is the website that tracks player numbers but its data only goes back to 2012 I think

Last edited:

JimRyanGOAT

How do modern games have so many bugs?

I get the whole scope thing, but with modern Coding practices, massive budgets, and a fuck ton of QA members. The game shouldn't launch this broken...

It's basically 5 years, 100's of millions to hire the best engineers, and we get an alpha that needs another 1-2 years to be stable. Then another 2-3 years to be fully finished in terms of content.

My best guess is Scope creep in upper management, starting with ideas then constantly changing them along the way. You get a glued-together package that's falling apart.

Batiman

Banned
I’m just not finding this game fun. BF4 was the shit. Every BF after ive never enjoyed and it’s hard for me to pinpoint why.

I’m just not finding this game fun. BF4 was the shit. Every BF after ive never enjoyed and it’s hard for me to pinpoint why.
Yep. Never dropped a new release game faster than this.

Pretty much first day I played for like 2 hours and got fed up with the constant weapon loadout bug where you can't switch out to other weapons until the match is over. Got this several times in my playthrough and just went Fuck It and quit the game.
Never been back since.

I take no joy in being stuck with an SMG while you're getting pummeled from all angles with campers with sniper rifles and you can't switch to a long range weapon yourself.

Urban

Yeah it’s pretty good. Love Rotterdam and the ice maps.

But on pc it has a cheater problem. So many of them. Nearly every 3-5th game there is Someone pretty sus or doesn’t hide it anymore and goes full aimbot + wh mode.

Most of them use wallhack.
I always report them but I don’t think dice will do something about it

All this bf4 praise makes me sick bf4 wasn't playable for like a year after release.
Agreed, remember head glitching and all the regular bf bull. But it didnt stray too far away from being battlefield. Maps were good (Bf 3 and older bf still were better), variety of weapons and in general, way finished than bf 2042. 2042 , unless they do something like apex and change map ingame, at this state, its barely salvageable.

BF3 had issues too, that battlelog issue, server browser issue, missing voice chat function as that came later, I literally been playing the series day 1 since 2142 lol They launch with issues, BF4 being the worst, but 2042 simply isn't the worst we've seen.

I remember how hyped everyone and their grandmother was for BF3, it was heralded as the second coming of Jesus Christ. The trailers were fantastic and the graphics were incredible, they still look good to this day. Then it launched and everyone was disappointed. It's kind of puzzling how i see it way up high in top best Battlefield games these days wen i seriously remember it being a big dud. Apart from the original, Vietnam, Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2, i can't recall a BF title that wasn't slammed by fans at release.

I'm not a fan because i don't play multiplayer anymore, but i'm seeing a pattern.

elco

Last 3 have been like that. But it’s still the only game in town for big war on console
Hell let loose. It's a WW2 shooter. It's more tactical, but I had a great time when squaded with people using mics.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I remember how hyped everyone and their grandmother was for BF3, it was heralded as the second coming of Jesus Christ. The trailers were fantastic and the graphics were incredible, they still look good to this day. Then it launched and everyone was disappointed. It's kind of puzzling how i see it way up high in top best Battlefield games these days wen i seriously remember it being a big dud. Apart from the original, Vietnam, Battlefield 2 and Bad Company 2, i can't recall a BF title that wasn't slammed by fans at release.

I'm not a fan because i don't play multiplayer anymore, but i'm seeing a pattern.

Agreed, I'm happy someone sees this pattern as people are not trying to pretend BFV was a loved BF title at release or something lol

They'll just do the same thing with 2042 when a new BF cames out

Top Bottom