• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 is reportedly in ‘abandon ship’ mode as EA switches focus to the next series entry

EDMIX

Too many modes and options. Just put a Conquest button and a Rush button on the title screen, include all the maps. Done

lol fucking seriously.

Thats probably what they should have done and I feel it would have been easier to pull off.

Put all maps, 2 modes, all guns on all modes and be done with it. Might not do gangbusters, but would build trust and at least get a solid number on how many really care about the basic BF concept.

E eastcoastkody That's the only thing that should continue after all this tbh.

Last edited:

KrisB

Too many modes and options. Just put a Conquest button and a Rush button on the title screen, include all the maps. Done

Once you build up a strong user base, diversify from there. When the base is too low, too many modes dilutes it further.
100%.

I can get into Conquest games fine but other modes you just sit and wait forever as there's not enough players for the game to start. So they should trim it down to the modes that people actually play and if it does get that healthy player base back, then you can flesh it out a bit more.

The portal mode also saved the game for me as they did include a few of the classic maps I like but as others have said, just having the old maps doesn't fix everything as there's many mechanics that are frustrating people so they just won't play it anyway.

sinnergy

Hopefully they learned something from this debacle, preferably the management layer. And now let the creatives with a vision rebuild the franchise. Otherwise EA is done here in my house-hold.

This is their last chance.

sinnergy

This should be pinned at the top. EA was outta pocket for this bullshit. But folks will never learn.
It really shouldn’t, because there are creatives involved that need a chance and the money .. but they should better their way of working in the management layer.
Everyone deserves a second and third chance .

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

It really shouldn’t, because there are creatives involved that need a chance and the money .. but they should better their way of working in the management layer.
Everyone deserves a second and third chance .
Someone Reaction GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In modern day gaming, a lot of gamers will stick to the same game for years. They are familiar with the game, a lot of people play it, I'm sure 99% of them expect the sequel will be kind of the same thing but with different maps, roster updates, an extra mode or two etc... Nobody expects games like sports or shooters to be big overhauls. BF games fit that mould.

How EA/Dice can fuck it all up is amazing. Even for basic shit like scoreboards and voice chat were hurdles. It's like they tried making 2042 from scratch and every nuance was built from the ground up where even standard features were left on the cutting room floor until an update half a year later.

Dr.D00p

I'm gonna say it again. Just make a game like BF4 with current gen visuals. No bullshit trailers either, just straight up actual gameplay like this:

I want lots of tanks, APCs, helicopters, jets, etc... Full chaotic combat with full on destruction and levolutions.

Oh and no" Operators" or any bullshit like that, keep mtx to cosmetics only and nothing too ridiculous or out of place.

Its funny how the version of Battlefield that people say they want to be happy, changes with how much of a BF veteran you are. For me, its BF2, for others BC2 and for the real, Gen Z whippersnappers, its BF 4. :messenger_beaming:

The fuck did they expected tbh in a 64 vs 64 player game they forgot scoreboard,
Fucking scoreboard,
In a 128 player game they somehow didn't included voice chat , then in 7 months they released 1 map, by this time in battlefield 4 they released 12 maps with 3 expansions.
Its like people sat their in dice office and planned how can we destroy battlefield and 10/10 they did

Drizzlehell

Banned
I feel bad for my brother the most because he was so excited for this game. I knew there was something fishy about it when we played it during open beta but he just kept faith in it and then I watched him go through all stages of grief.

How the helly they could have fucked this game up so badly is beyond me. I legit had more fun with that janky Battlefield clone WW3.

EDMIX

they forgot scoreboard,
Fucking scoreboard,
i actually disagree. From what I've read, it wasn't going to be in the game at all, as in it was made without it, not that it was rushed, forgotten, left behind etc, it was literally designed to not have it, I'm not sure if they wanted some safe space or everyone focus on fun and not kills type of thinking or something, but I do know for sure, it wasn't some forgotten feature, it was deliberately omitted.

I'd argue that would have been better, it just say "oh we need more time", thats a great answer to a game that has a sound and solid base, NOT for a game with as many issues with design as this game has. So for it to simply be based on time is to even assume nothing was wrong with what the team was doing with the game and it was simply a time thing, but I just don't by that with this redesign.

They are not saying they need more time to make it like they wanted from day 1.....they are legit saying they are redesigning it as in making it something it wasn't from day 1 based on design, not time.

So if we had a few wishes on what EA would need to have DICE work on, to say more time so they don't forget things, is to make it seem as if the designer was doing a bang up job, but needed more time or something. I like a lot of the game and I don't even buy that with those features lol

C CuteFaceJay lol I never went back, I simply never left. It has been in my MP rotation for pretty much all of last gen and likely going to be some of this gen too.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
updates out and nobody can get into a game servers seem to be fucked lmao.. Not into hyperbole but this shit is embarrassing.

seem to be working now, was probably the sudden rush of 17 players all logging in at once

I mean the abandonware element. If they just are gonna half ass the rest of this and not try to turn it around, then forget ever getting people to support your game.

Despite problems with Battlefront 2 and BFV, folks still liked those games and even stuck around and played. The playerbase just dropped 2042 hard fast and doubt its coming back

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
lol, can't even load into the game for season 1, it's fucked as predicted. DICE working on it.... sounds familiar.

clarky

Gold Member
I mean the abandonware element. If they just are gonna half ass the rest of this and not try to turn it around, then forget ever getting people to support your game.

Despite problems with Battlefront 2 and BFV, folks still liked those games and even stuck around and played. The playerbase just dropped 2042 hard fast and doubt its coming back
Might as well kill it at this point and give people who care the next one for free or something lol.

KrisB

lol, can't even load into the game for season 1, it's fucked as predicted. DICE working on it.... sounds familiar.
Lol unbelievable. I was playing for an hour or so just before S1 ticked over and everything was fine. Now getting connection errors.

shaddam

They should look back to the older games. Make a BC 1-2 remastered first. Then try BC3. Too bad the real DICE left the team years ago

Last edited:

Neofire

BF 2 Modern Combat
BF 1943
BF Bad Company 2
Bad Company 2: Vietnam DLC
BF 4

all amazing.

it was all downhill after that
The thing is I really enjoy BF2042 but the way they are abandoning it is crazy and leaving people with a 70 dollar(some cases more for the people who bought the season pass) worthless game

Been playing the BF series since 1942, I even pre-ordered 2042 Digital Edition. Thanks to this, I will never pre-order ever again and I'm done with DICE and the Battlefield series. Sadly, it's time to move on.

Catphish

2042 had strong sales and now they want to abandon ? absolute cash grabbing scums.
100% this.

If the game didn't sell, I could understand them abandoning it. But it sold well. Over 4M copies in the first week. They owe a proper product to those who paid, or at least a refund or heavy discount on the next version.

If all the people who bought the game, especially the ultimate edition, are just left out to dry, man, they'd best not be buying the next game.

We really have to stop rewarding these jagoffs for this kind of slimy behavior.

I'm really interested to see how the community reacts to the next installment.

While I (mostly) enjoy BF2042, I freely admit that the design changes (maps, operators, etc) were awful. The patches have helped and I still play, but I really hope the next game is a return to form.

Shouldn’t have hired a bunch of wokesters who first made that silly WW2 bastardisation with pink haired robots fighting in the 1940’s British Army 🤷‍♂️

…… Then they probably still stuck with those staff who aren’t there for the love of making great games, nor have the talent to do so, but to push political tripe where it’s not needed. Hence the next game is still a load of wank.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
First Battlefield game I avoided in some time. The writing was all over the wall during the beta.

I’m just wondering at what point do people stop falling for this stuff? I doubt Battlefield 6 will be affected much.

EDMIX

Might as well kill it at this point and give people who care the next one for free or something lol.
Would be a few million copies, but would be one of the wildest apology's in gaming.

I would see something like that only really working with digital or based on some time frame of logging into the game if you had a disk copy and got it in 2021 or some shit, but could work.

100% this.

If the game didn't sell, I could understand them abandoning it. But it sold well. Over 4M copies in the first week

yea this is why I think the whole idea of them just leaving the game behind isn't as great of an idea as some on here think.

You'd just get people saying "WOW they fucked over the loyal base that stuck with them, how can we trust the next BF?"

So those saying "leave it behind and work on the new BF", you'd just get those same people posting outrage stuff on 2042 being left behind. I think it makes sense even with such a small base to fix this mess with the future seasons, why the fuck should they experiment with that feedback on the next game? To waste our fucking time or something? So if they can fix it now, correct those issues now, get feedback from BF players NOW, it makes sense to do that and add those ideas to the next BF while its being made at the other half of DICE.

Makes sense for development, makes sense for PR. Not sure how they can hype up the next BF, while ditching the last and be like "ok, THIS time we'll support it for yearz doe, please believe us" lol This is EA we are talking about, they need all the fucking trust they can get after this, which means they need to bite the bullet and support this shit

Shouldn’t have hired a bunch of wokesters who first made that silly WW2 bastardisation with pink haired robots fighting in the 1940’s British Army 🤷‍♂️

…… Then they probably still stuck with those staff who aren’t there for the love of making great games, nor have the talent to do so, but to push political tripe where it’s not needed. Hence the next game is still a load of wank.

Yet a girl being in the game had nothing to do with anything wrong with V or this game.

Dane

How many back to back failures can Dice endue before they're shuttered or at least have mass firings?

I mean the reality is they had 3 years to make what is effectively no more ambitious than a decent community developed mod of their previous games, using the same engine they've been working on for over a decade, and yet they come out with something that even at its most basic conceptual level, whether be its setting, art, weapons, abilities etc., is atrocious and uninspired.

Seriously, how much talent have Dice lost from the team that made Battlefield 4 in just two years to now?

Sidenote:

Actually, someone did some research on developers names and concluded barely, if any, developer from BF3/4 was still at DICE, a significant portion of BF1 devs didn't work on V, and the same happened to 2042, meaning that the studio was rebooted few years ago.

Top Bottom