• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 | Review Thread

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I think I've had enough already, I normally play Battlefield on smaller maps without vehicles and now I remember why and it's worse in this game.
Last night the stupid hovercraft was being spammed continuously and just makes the game no fun at all, they need to change how you can deal with them like allowing the launcher to lock on to them like the helicopters.
It just felt like a war of attrition all night and no fun at all.
They need to bring back domination as soon as possible, they can divide the existing maps up like they have on the last gen versions pretty easily.

IMO anyone in a hovercraft should be able to be as easily shot as they are in a SUV. That would largely take care of their issues.

I see nothing wrong with this as from what you played, that is how its received.

Yet one could say the same about you liking Halo right now with the list of those issues sir..., but those issues haven't kept you from liking Halo Infinite

You are telling 343 you are ok with those missing features and server issues........ this is a fucking video game, its not a government policy.
Lmfao Infinite is free and I didn't even pay for BF 2042 either. Please try harder. I have given 343 and DICE so much shit for years and yet all you do in this thread is make excuses.

You keep pulling out this pathetic strawman of "no online game released perfect" yea no shit man.... DICE has released some of the most buggy-ass games since BF3 (including the most shit-ass servers), with the exception of BF1, which was much more acceptable. Still buggy but way more stable than 4 or 3. A piece of nuance you keep intentionally missing in my argument.

EDMIX

yet all you do in this thread is make excuses.

nahhhhh bud. I simply don't make end of the world type things out of any of theses types of releases lol

"no online game released perfect" yea no shit man....

Yea...kinda the point =)

Its why many on here played it and seem to have no issue and some play it and have lots of issues....just like you played Halo and had a blast, I guess Halo isn't Dead after all lol

Have a good one

nahhhhh bud. I simply don't make end of the world type things out of any of theses types of releases lol

Yea...kinda the point =)

Its why many on here played it and seem to have no issue and some play it and have lots of issues....just like you played Halo and had a blast, I guess Halo isn't Dead after all lol

Have a good one
Look man, I'm a massive BF fan and all I'm saying is I'm fucking tired of the very buggy releases. The amount of fun I'm having with Infinite is subjective but what's not subjective is the level of polish the game has compared to 2042.

BF 2042 was also delayed to skip next gen launch

Halo Infinite also has issues too, shit I'd say most MP titles have such issues around launch.

Would be like saying some shit like "wow no wonder 343 is so arrogant theses dayz"

omg "missing features"

lol or even Call Of Duty

don't buy anything this year basically with this wild logic lol

So as someone that has played many a Halo game at launch, Battlefield, Call Of Duty etc they actually share lots of issues and I've simply found that you can't have some perfect fucking game at launch with ZERO issue. I've seen no evidence of this even from the god like 'can do no wrong' fisher price King Nintendo. So if no one is coming out with some launch with zero issues, I no longer buy that its just based on some um "arrogant" thing, especially by DICE. If anything EA would fit that narrative much better as the own DICE, the BF IP and control those releases, delays etc I'm not really getting anything thats suggesting this is happening only from 1 team, shit this is happening with MP titles period, as in publisher or team is irrelevant to some of theses issues. Of course some issues can be the fault of the team, but overall the nature of online games is more so dynamic then it ever was finite. No one is coming out with some shit where nothing is missing, no issues are happening etc

I too want to see what the community does with those maps. I expect this mode to evolve into adding in more rulesets and a future release with a map editor or something.

Dude what ? This is a quite frankly stupid take also this thread is about battlefield.

EDMIX

Dude what ? This is a quite frankly stupid take also this thread is about battlefield.

At least 343 had the sense to delay Infinite a whole year to fix their shit.

^ I know right, this is about Battlefield, why bring up 343? =)

Both games got delayed, both games had betas, some things can be compared and my response is based on a user bringing up something that ironically also happened to BF2042. Both publishers should be commended for delaying to correct any issues vs forcing launches btw.

That being said, you can't fucking list a bunch of reddit shit and then get triggered when other reddit shit is posted to show just how it might apply to many, many online games ie this isn't unique. I'm not just randomly citing Halo for no reason, shit even the fucking post you are replying to directly shows why it was brought up lol

Halo is Back Halo is Back Fair, but this will likely be a to each his own type thing as many are having no issue with BF, many are having no issue with Halo.

My wish for a BF to launch with no issues and rock solid seems unlikely as even if I used 343 as the example, i don't know if the community accepts the list of missing things from that game any more if it was let say applied to the next BF, but that BF had a solid beta or launch or something, they'd just cherry pick those missing features lol We've literally seen issues in the past resolved, only for other issues to now be at the forefront. Even with BF1, look at how solid that launch was, I had little server issues and only a few bugs, but that never really stopped people from exaggerating that launch or crying about woke stuff lol

Last edited:
^ I know right, this is about Battlefield, why bring up 343? =)

Both games got delayed, both games had betas, some things can be compared and my response is based on a user bringing up something that ironically also happened to BF2042. Both publishers should be commended for delaying to correct any issues vs forcing launches btw.

That being said, you can't fucking list a bunch of reddit shit and then get triggered when other reddit shit is posted to show just how it might apply to many, many online games ie this isn't unique. I'm not just randomly citing Halo for no reason, shit even the fucking post you are replying to directly shows why it was brought up lol

Halo is Back Halo is Back Fair, but this will likely be a to each his own type thing as many are having no issue with BF, many are having no issue with Halo.

My wish for a BF to launch with no issues and rock solid seems unlikely as even if I used 343 as the example, i don't know if the community accepts the list of missing things from that game any more if it was let say applied to the next BF, but that BF had a solid beta or launch or something, they'd just cherry pick those missing features lol We've literally seen issues in the past resolved, only for other issues to now be at the forefront. Even with BF1, look at how solid that launch was, I had little server issues and only a few bugs, but that never really stopped people from exaggerating that launch or crying about woke stuff lol
Do you not understand that BF 2042s issues arent merely technical??

there are fundamental design decisions that cant be assisted with patches. I posted a long ass list of missing features you cant just simply patch all that shit in.

secondly on the topic of halo, yes halo is a much much more polished product just look!

Idk what kind of agenda you have , but i can tell you now that its lame as fuck and your bozo energy here is tiresome. You act like youre on payroll to be this annoying.

So some fine chaps on reddit took the time to aggregate feature that are missing from BF 2042 when compared against previous entries.

Core Features

• No single-player story
  • No Boats
  • No water physics
  • No standard server browser
  • Fewer standardized game modes (Can't even play TDM or smaller scale modes without relying on community servers. Really?)
  • Fewer base game maps than any other title (even including portal the map count is only 13)
  • No persistent lobbies (seriously why do I have to matchmake after EVERY round?)
  • Fewer in-game assignments (none outside of cosmetic unlocks)
  • No class system
  • Less character customization options (than BF5)
  • No profile progress/stats page in the menu
  • No battle log/stats tracker for other players
  • No global leader boards
  • No end of round assignment progress screen
  • No dog tags (they still sort of exist I guess?)
  • No custom emblems
  • Fewer achievements
  • No medals
  • No swelling crescendo of dramatic music near the end of a match (obviously this is the most egregious of the list)
  • Less destruction (only a small handful of destructible buildings on each map)
  • No map altering levolution (There sort of is but the maps are so big, anything that changes doesn't really affect how you play)
  • No cross-game profile screen (BF 4, HL, 1, and V were all linked by a menu if you owned them digitally, was a neat feature.)
  • No spectator mode
  • No permanent community servers (would be useful for clans and events)
Infantry Gameplay
  • Fewer guns (even including all the portal guns, BF4 still had more at launch)
  • Fewer infantry gadgets
  • No manual leaning
  • No diving while swimming
  • No high wall vaulting
  • No crouch sprinting
  • No backwards prone
  • No explosion knockback
  • No rolling after falling from heights
  • No ammo or health pickup off teammates
  • No scope zeroing
  • No thermal optics
  • No indirect fire gadgets
  • Less anti-tank launchers (Come on man only one?)
  • No lock-on launchers (The M5 works with the SOFLAM but that requires 2 people)
  • No AP mines/claymores
  • No static weapon emplacements
  • No fortification building
  • No resupply stations
  • No suppression mechanic (This one I don't mind but I'm including everything)
Vehicles
  • Fewer vehicle types (and separate vehicle progression per faction even though they are functionally identical... why???)
  • No naval vehicles (Except I guess the hovercraft technically)
  • No vehicle gunner direction indicator
  • No lock on direction indicator
  • No vehicle enter/exit animations
  • Less vehicle driver/pilot customization options
  • No tank zoom customization options
  • No tank gunner customization options
  • No heli gunner secondary weapons
  • No separate heli/fixed-wing controls
  • No control input while looking behind/free looking in aircraft (BF1 and V pilots, this one is gonna absolutely suck for you guys)
Scoring System
  • No squad wipe scoring
  • No player damage points
  • No vehicle damage points
  • No vehicle kill assist points
  • No headshot bonus
  • No long-range kill bonus
  • No assist counts as kill bonus
  • No squad objective play bonus
  • Oversimplified teamplay scoring (i.e. healing a teammate always gives you +5xp rather than the amount of health you give)
Squad and Teamwork
  • No commander
  • No special squad call-in abilities
  • No squad field upgrades
  • No in-game VOIP
  • Fewer factions (with almost nothing to give the 2 factions any distinction)
  • No cross-team chat
  • No "create new squad" option
  • No "promote to squad leader" option
  • No clans
  • No view of squadmates while in the spawn screen
  • No "Medic incoming" indicator in downed state
  • No rank names/icons, just a number.
UI and Quality of Life
  • Less control customization options
  • Less UI customization options
  • No HUD/icon opacity customization
  • No HUD scaling customization options
  • No gunsight reticle customization options
  • No network performance graph
  • No individual player scoreboard
  • Less detail in the 'who killed you' screen
  • No ultrawide monitor support
  • Very poor friend joining system
  • No console aim assist (big fat fuck you to console players there, dice)

This game is a soulless husk

But hey it's alright because a few guys are having a "Blast" as they keep putting it and see "Potential"

/s

:p

Von Hugh

So some fine chaps on reddit took the time to aggregate feature that are missing from BF 2042 when compared against previous entries.

Core Features

• No single-player story
  • No Boats
  • No water physics
  • Fewer standardized game modes (Can't even play TDM or smaller scale modes without relying on community servers. Really?)
  • Fewer base game maps than any other title (even including portal the map count is only 13)
  • No persistent lobbies (seriously why do I have to matchmake after EVERY round?)
  • No class system
  • No custom emblems
  • Fewer achievements
  • No medals
  • No swelling crescendo of dramatic music near the end of a match (obviously this is the most egregious of the list)
  • No map altering levolution (There sort of is but the maps are so big, anything that changes doesn't really affect how you play)
  • No cross-game profile screen (BF 4, HL, 1, and V were all linked by a menu if you owned them digitally, was a neat feature.)
  • No spectator mode
Infantry Gameplay
  • Fewer infantry gadgets
  • No manual leaning
  • No high wall vaulting
  • No crouch sprinting
  • No backwards prone
  • No explosion knockback
  • No scope zeroing
  • No thermal optics
  • No lock-on launchers (The M5 works with the SOFLAM but that requires 2 people)
  • No AP mines/claymores
  • No resupply stations
Vehicles
  • Fewer vehicle types (and separate vehicle progression per faction even though they are functionally identical... why???)
  • No control input while looking behind/free looking in aircraft (BF1 and V pilots, this one is gonna absolutely suck for you guys)
Scoring System
  • No squad wipe scoring
  • No headshot bonus
  • Oversimplified teamplay scoring (i.e. healing a teammate always gives you +5xp rather than the amount of health you give)
Squad and Teamwork
  • No commander
  • No in-game VOIP
  • No cross-team chat
  • No clans
UI and Quality of Life

Looking back at this list the conclusion I can make is that for each new Battlefield game DICE just scraps the code and features from the old game, and starts from zero again. The amount of bugs and missing features at the launch of each game can't be explained otherwise. How the hell they otherwise can break simple things such as network code, hit detection, collisions and others every single time?

Hyperbole aside, I'd be extremely pissed due to these issues alone, the year is almost 2022 after all:

• No damage bonus points for anything really
  • No naval vehicles
  • No backwards prone (???)

RaptorGTA

Something that really stands out as a negative when it arrives is the tornado. I mean when you see it coming in from the distance, it looks great. I like how the players will mention seeing it with their dialogue. But then when it comes in, it really doesn't do anything. Has anyone played Just Cause? Cause seriously this tornado does about as much like the one from Just Cause. I was really hoping we would see it be the next phase of Levolution. But there is no difference before or after the tornado has hit. I expected the map to be altered like after the skyscraper collapsing in Siege of Shanghai. Its just disappointing cause really there could have been so much more.

R6Rider

Gold Member
What are the chances they fix aim assists for the pleb version tomorrow.
Gotta be a pro gamer like me and not use aim assist.

Tom Cruise 80S GIF

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Have the trial on Xbox. Game crashed on me 3 times last night just straight to dashboard. (thats now 5 times total)

I'm out.

Last edited:
I think the TTK is fine, just that the bloom and hit registration bugs are making it seem longer. TTD can feel wonky sometimes though.
probably right. tomato, tomahto type deal i guess. something is off. and it really adds to frustration. weirdly i can't stop playing! lol came to a realization that it has the awful spawn, die, repeat features of COD yet with bigger, more empty space maps and a respawn delay. all things that lead to the rage inside!

Pretty much, its why most of the BS around 2042 is hard to take seriously. Its become a meme at this point. Every BF was the BF to kill the series or something. Be like "THIS IS THE ONE FOLKS, itz OVAZ". I remember folks even saying this about 2142 and even worse about Bad Company. Not able to go prone, a single player mode etc folks made it sound like the series would die and not looking back BFBC2 is the one they fucking ask for the most lol.

So I just can't take any of that horse shit seriously, I need to play it myself and never waste time on hot takes or neckbeard exaggerations. All communities have something like that were some fucking person like "well thats it folks, FFX KILLED FINAL FANTASY" lol

Some of that is actually being addressed or confirmed to be fixed next.
totally man. for sure get it. it's definitely going to be "fixed". and it's a game that has 1000s of hours of replayability. graphics are awesome. and they're only going to continue to add content as you know. it just sucks every new release seems to have old bugs and quirks that shouldn't be a problem anymore. like it's not the year 2000 where we're still sorting out fps mechanics. don't F with it if it ain't broken! i'm actually diggin the specialists btw. super fun and doesn't take away from the bf experience imo. they definitely need to do something to make squad play more rewarding too. that's another glaring issue that i've noticed. you literally feel like you're just 1 guy on a team of 64.

interested to hear your thoughts on it all once you've had a chance to play. i luckily got a free ultimate code so been jammin on it for a week!

splattered

I think the hovercraft is neat and fun to drive though I've never abused it in my early release play time. Hopefully it gets tweaked and not just fully removed. Overall the game is a lot of fun imo despite it's issues. Hopefully stuff gets ironed out sooner rather than later.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Finally got the MP9 last night and it's fun to use, but it starts with only a 20 round mag. Needs a good amount of kills to get the drum mag, but it will be amazing.

Mossybrew

Yep, definitely waiting on this one, maybe dive in sometime next year when the game will be cheaper and hopefully a lot of issues fixed.

manfestival

It is probably worth getting it at a discount and to be fair I did preorder the game for like $48. Will probably be worth getting once it hits $30... whenever that is. Will probably keep my preorder in. One of my buddies cancelled his preorder solely on the fact that he hates the airborne vehicle controls and claims there is no way to change them. I wouldn't know since I never use airborne vehicles in like any of these games.

Also super annoying that everyone lasers you with that SMG the PP29

Last edited:

Core Features

• No single-player story
  • No Boats
  • No water physics
  • No class system
  • No custom emblems
  • Fewer achievements
  • No medals
  • No spectator mode
Infantry Gameplay
  • Fewer infantry gadgets
  • No manual leaning
  • No high wall vaulting
  • No crouch sprinting
  • No backwards prone
  • No explosion knockback
  • No scope zeroing
  • No thermal optics
  • No AP mines/claymores
  • No resupply stations
Vehicles
Scoring System
  • No squad wipe scoring
  • No headshot bonus
Squad and Teamwork
  • No commander
  • No in-game VOIP
  • No cross-team chat
  • No clans
UI and Quality of Life

Idiotic design that's well implemented is respectable, I suppose, and Battlefield knows this since Hardline.
2042 does not implement its retarded design well. The operators could work if the kits were better, the big-ass maps could be fun if they had more clutter than the Windows XP wallpaper, the lack of naval gameplay could be acceptable if one of the other gameplay pillars was knocked out of the park at the expense of it.

Taking away UI/QoL features is inexcusable.

Trolls are very toxic towards this game and want it to be exactly like every other Battlefield game..over and over. Yes it has issues what game doesn't at launch lol... Every new battlefield game people say the same thing...BFV "OMG ITS T00 W0k3" "Its N0T ACURaTE To H!St0Ry" "I LIK3 BF1 B3tt@R"

Trolls are very toxic towards this game and want it to be exactly like every other Battlefield game..over and over. Yes it has issues what game doesn't at launch lol... Every new battlefield game people say the same thing...BFV "OMG ITS T00 W0k3" "Its N0T ACURaTE To H!St0Ry" "I LIK3 BF1 B3tt@R"

Out of interest how is this a bad thing...?

It's a fucking Battlefield game.

RafterXL

*Rolls eyes*
You can roll your eyes all you want, they aren't wrong. I've been *trying* to play all morning and the game is a shitshow on console. Every other match locks or disconnects, you can't turn off crossplay with mouse/kb users, and aim assist doesn't even work. Add to that the fact that a large chunk of features from previous games just don't exist, even shit as simple as a scoreboard, and it's clear as day this game is half baked. Also, when the best mode is Portal because it just plays better than any of your new content you've got a problem.

On the flip side, regardless of what you think of Halo's gameplay, it's polished as fuck. You can tell which developers actually took the extra time to do it right and which ones sent the game out too early.

I'm sure they'll fix some of it sooner, or later, but this game sure as hell isn't worth the current pricetag. It will be half price by Christmas.

Innovation is not a bad thing. A huge map, 128 player count, specialists.....are not inherently bad.

but the way these things are implemented are bad. They just didn't do it right is all. It makes the game worse

EXACTLY? You don't want innovation...

This is such a bad take.

Innovation is absolutely fine, but not when your trying to implement idiotic things which do not make sense in the universe and 'innovating' for the sake of it, it totally fucks things up.

Literally focusing on making this a Battlefield game and expanding the player count to 128/increase map size, would have been enough. They did not need to do any of the other shit that they pissed about on.

Nobody wants fucking specialists, just put the class system in for a start.

This is such a bad take.

Innovation is absolutely fine, but not when your trying to implement idiotic things which do not make sense in the universe and 'innovating' for the sake of it, it totally fucks things up.

Literally focusing on making this a Battlefield game and expanding the player count to 128/increase map size, would have been enough. They did not need to do any of the other shit that they pissed about on.

Nobody wants fucking specialists, just put the class system in for a star

Every battlefield it's the same thing with the trolls...

JayK47

No server browser? That is a deal breaker for me. Not that I have time for online shooters anymore. But at times I do miss them and would like to get back into them. But the current offerings sound like ass and anything old is without players. Someone on youtube said it best "by time they fix the game, the community has moved on".

No server browser? That is a deal breaker for me. Not that I have time for online shooters anymore. But at times I do miss them and would like to get back into them. But the current offerings sound like ass and anything old is without players. Someone on youtube said it best "by time they fix the game, the community has moved on".
the Portal mode does have server browser. I dont think the main 2042 game does tho.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Most of those lists are spectacularly nitpicky and not something a casual player is going to care about in the beat to beat gameplay.

My biggest concern with the game is that the maps I have played are too damn big. Maps in previous games were also big, but there was stuff going on. The snow map and the desert map and the map in Korea just feel too empty despite being filled with engagement areas. I know some people shit on maps like METRO for not really being a "large scale open battle. . ." but that's fine given how far in the other direction the pendulum seems to have swung. I'm on the trial and haven't played all the maps and maybe they get better when it isn't just large scale conquest, but I've yet to have a map where the teams are fighting over a chokepoint or street to street.

. . .maybe it's just the push for "MOAR PLAYERS!" that these maps are going for and the maps in and of themselves are fine.

EDMIX

lame as fuck and your bozo energy here is tiresome.
You too triggered Payne! (demands badge and gun as its clear he has thrown the rule book out the window)
interested to hear your thoughts on it all once you've had a chance to play.
Oh I'll have walls ready lol I won't have much time to play as I'm busy with a few projects and art commissions, but when I do...I'll have a lot to say
Out of interest how is this a bad thing...?

It's a fucking Battlefield game.
Its a issue people cry over with AC and Call Of Duty, I find it odd that some are now begging for the same. If it was just the same, you'd just get a whole new group of people arguing that its copy and paste or something.
Innovation is not a bad thing. A huge map, 128 player count, specialists.....are not inherently bad.

but the way these things are implemented are bad. They just didn't do it right is all. It makes the game worse

True, I feel that is the risk taken when when they try new things and I'd rather see this iron out or them go back to the drawing board, then to just get the same design over and over. I feel its worth the risk and I'm ok with them working it out over time in that respect. We never get something like BF2, 2142, Bad Company etc if all they wanted was the same design 1.1 every release.

I don't think they'll do much with the existing maps, but the future maps being planned will likely address some of what is being stated, specialist I can see being patched to be optional etc. I think they can work around a lot of this and its worth that risk.

gunslikewhoa gunslikewhoa Facts. Wake Island, Metro, Karkand are the likely ones I expect to be remade. I also wonder what rulesets can be changed in Portal on the 2042 maps to correct some of those issues, like has anyone tried to make a 2042 map with BFBC2 classes? (i'm sure something like that has been done, but more so asking if anyone has tried it lol)

Last edited:
Top Bottom