• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 | Review Thread

R6Rider

Gold Member
I finally got the drum mag for the MP9 and WOW this thing melts. Extended mag wasn't to bad (30), but having 50 brings it to another level!

Also the anti-personal rockets for the attack choppers are so much better. Can finally kill infantry without needing a gun or switching to gunner seat.

EDIT: Also also: the 12M Auto shotgun...

james franco GIF

Last edited:

JoeBudden

I have seen nothing but troll reviews on Steam......
Mostly just emotional kids thinking extremely negative or extremely positive is the only way to rate sth.

Yep. The game is clearly being review bombed. Anyone who actually plays this knows there's an 8/10 game under all the issues.

Can't wait to see the new content they have planned for this game cause there's tons of potential here.

RafterXL

I have seen nothing but troll reviews on Steam......
Mostly just emotional kids thinking extremely negative or extremely positive is the only way to rate sth.
Then you aren't looking. You can literally go to the Steam page, clicks reviews, and find thousands of negative reviews from people with significant play time and opinions.

You've clearly never even looked at the Steam reviews for this game. In fact, the biggest trolls in the review section are the positive ones which are mostly whining about negative reviewers.

But, yeah, keep pretending 45k Steam reviews are all trolls.
Yep. The game is clearly being review bombed. Anyone who actually plays this knows there's an 8/10 game under all the issues.

Can't wait to see the new content they have planned for this game cause there's tons of potential here.
You make no sense. If it's a 8/10 *under all the issues* , that means it's not a 8/10. And Steam reviewers paid money, the same as you, to give their opinions, which are overwhelming negative.

Are critics also review bombing the game? Because they are also not being positive.

Let's just get this straight. Regardless of how you want to twist this, both players and critics, on every platform, have rated this the worst Battlefield game ever released. That's just a fact, and you guys can pretend it's all "review bombing" all you want, but that doesn't make it true.

It's ok to like a bad game, it's ridiculous to make it out like you're the only one that sees the truth and everyone is colluding in this grand conspiracy to tarnish a great game.

Played the game for half the trial time, it wishes it was an 8/10 game. As it stands, the base game content with the bugs being fixed still isn’t a good game.

I swear some people have been conditioned by outlets like DF to think that the technical aspects of the game are the be all and end all and that the actual gameplay itself doesn’t matter.

BF2042 is not fun and that is why the majority are reviewing it badly. It’s as simple as that. If DICE decide to go back on some of their design decisions and change the game drastically, opinions will likely change.

R6Rider

Gold Member
BF2042 is not fun and that is why the majority are reviewing it badly. It’s as simple as that.
Disagree. Despite all the problems the game is at least fun for many players. Steam player charts prove that, as I just checked and it was above Halo Infinite.

And that's the PC version where it has much worse performance than on consoles.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

Played the game for half the trial time, it wishes it was an 8/10 game. As it stands, the base game content with the bugs being fixed still isn’t a good game.

I swear some people have been conditioned by outlets like DF to think that the technical aspects of the game are the be all and end all and that the actual gameplay itself doesn’t matter.

BF2042 is not fun and that is why the majority are reviewing it badly. It’s as simple as that. If DICE decide to go back on some of their design decisions and change the game drastically, opinions will likely change.

You need to get a life. There's a million other threads you can be spending your time in instead of arguing with yourself in this thread.

If the game's not fun to you, then the games not fun to you, we don't care either way.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

You make no sense. If it's a 8/10 *under all the issues* , that means it's not a 8/10. And Steam reviewers paid money, the same as you, to give their opinions, which are overwhelming negative.

Are critics also review bombing the game? Because they are also not being positive.

Let's just get this straight. Regardless of how you want to twist this, both players and critics, on every platform, have rated this the worst Battlefield game ever released. That's just a fact, and you guys can pretend it's all "review bombing" all you want, but that doesn't make it true.

It's ok to like a bad game, it's ridiculous to make it out like you're the only one that sees the truth and everyone is colluding in this grand conspiracy to tarnish a great game.

Go argue with your momma. No one is denying theres a million issues with this game, we're just saying its still really fun and not a 0/10 (or whatever its scored at on Steam) at all.

You need to get a life. There's a million other threads you can be spending your time in instead of arguing with yourself in this thread.

If the game's not fun to you, then the games not fun to you, we don't care either way.

To be fair the lack of an actual OT means all discussion is in this thread, which is a review thread. And review threads are typically going to attract this sort of rhetoric inside of them. Someone needs to create an OT so proper discussion of the game can occur.

For me, I'm almost done Farcry 6 and I'll looking for the next game to get and that next game was going to be Battlefield. I'm hoping by the time that comes there will be some patches out that fix some of the nonsense but there are still fundamental design decision that bother me, namely no scoreboards and no classes, but I'm fairly easy going. Games are supposed to be entertaining and I can't be bothered with getting bent out of shape over every detail so I suspect I'll still end up enjoying the game.

JoeBudden

we found another little bitch who spent 100+ on early access. kick rocks kid the game sucks.

who's the bitch? me or the people spending multiple days in this thread complaining about the same shit?

most of us aren't loser ass neckbeards that need to take a moral stance against a video game and protest it for its bugs. If the game is fun then that's all that matters to most people.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

To be fair the lack of an actual OT means all discussion is in this thread, which is a review thread. And review threads are typically going to attract this sort of rhetoric inside of them. Someone needs to create an OT so proper discussion of the game can occur.

For me, I'm almost done Farcry 6 and I'll looking for the next game to get and that next game was going to be Battlefield. I'm hoping by the time that comes there will be some patches out that fix some of the nonsense but there are still fundamental design decision that bother me, namely no scoreboards and no classes, but I'm fairly easy going. Games are supposed to be entertaining and I can't be bothered with getting bent out of shape over every detail so I suspect I'll still end up enjoying the game.

Theres a Day 10 patch at the end of this week, and a Day 25 patch coming later. DICE has already confirmed a number of issues being fixed in the Day 10 patch.

You'll enjoy the game, most people are just being overdramatic and need something to argue about.

Last edited:

Urban

Then refund it? Why the fuck do you need me to answer that question for you?

U know there are restrictions to refunding a game? Why are you tilted like the real joebudden? Chill dude. If you like the game than be happy with it but dont get mad if people dont like it and make their voice heard.

Last edited:

JoeBudden

U know there are restrictions to refunding a game? Why are you tilted like the real joebudden? Chill dude. If you like the game than be happy with it but dont get mad if people dont like it and make their voice heard.

Then why you in my notifications talking about a refund? I'm not EA customer support. I don't know about the restrictions around refunding a game. What do you expect me to do here?

Theres a Day 10 patch at the end of this week, and a Day 25 patch coming later. DICE has already confirmed a number of issues being fixed in the Day 10 patch.

You'll enjoy the game, most people are just being overdramatic and need something to argue about.

Oh nice, thanks for the information on patches. At the very least the day 10 patch will be implemented by the time I pick the game up.

Though to be honest I was hoping to instigate you (or someone else) to create an OT so when I get the game I can have some decent discussions about it while ignoring the chaff (people complaining and talking about how it's the worst reviewed game ever), keep that's stuff relegated to this thread here as it does warrant discussion.

I guess I could make one but I'm lazy you see.

Go argue with your momma. No one is denying theres a million issues with this game, we're just saying its still really fun and not a 0/10 (or whatever its scored at on Steam) at all.
For someone who doesn’t care either way, you sure seem triggered and overly hostile. Whatever though, enjoy the game.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Oh nice, thanks for the information on patches. At the very least the day 10 patch will be implemented by the time I pick the game up.

Though to be honest I was hoping to instigate you (or someone else) to create an OT so when I get the game I can have some decent discussions about it while ignoring the chaff (people complaining and talking about how it's the worst reviewed game ever), keep that's stuff relegated to this thread here as it does warrant discussion.

Don't OTs have to be claimed or something beforehand in the OT OT thread?

Although I can still see most people posting in it to shit on the game instead of actually discussing it.

JoeBudden

For someone who doesn’t care either way, you sure seem triggered and overly hostile. Whatever though, enjoy the game.

I'm being overly hostile? You're the one addressing absolutely everyone in this thread who doesn't feel the same way as you about the game. Don't get mad at me cause I don't wanna argue with your goofy ass.

JoeBudden

Idk anything about setting that up cause I'm relatively new to this forum. But it's definitely something that would be worthwhile as this game will be around for a while.

who's the bitch? me or the people spending multiple days in this thread complaining about the same shit?

most of us aren't loser ass neckbeards that need to take a moral stance against a video game and protest it for its bugs.
you dumb fucking fuck its people like you who are okay with companies releasing shitty unfinished games. you're part of the part of the problem if we dont get out there and put our bloody foot down and say its fucking 2021 how in the hell are games STILL being made this way!

you would think years down the line devs would learn from their past games and remember "hey people didnt really like that shit so we're just going to put our heart and soul into this and make it the best we can" because thats what innovation means right?

honestly its laughable seeing you trying to defend this bullshit. but really dont you think its time this trend of unfinished garbage ends? you dont want people complaining about your game? then fucking finish it first and then release it after all we are spending MONEY on this.

welshrat

Yeah it needs work but honestly its the best shooter out there for me at the mo. Loving it on PS5 and PC (after some performance issues were sorted PC wise)

Last edited:

Aure

Banned
Tried it on Beta, didn't like it. Now i tried it again with the 10 free hours from EAPlay, not liking it either.
Guess i'll just avoid this one like i did with BF1 and BFV or wait for future updates, but i'm definitely not jumping into it.

Last edited:
Havin sooo much fun in hazard zone with my friends. The rush of getting to that last extraction is crazy fun.

I wish Rush was a mode in 2042 proper though 😞

Last edited:

JoeBudden

you dumb fucking fuck its people like you who are okay with companies releasing shitty unfinished games. you're part of the part of the problem if we dont get out there and put our bloody foot down and say its fucking 2021 how in the hell are games STILL being made this way!

you would think years down the line devs would learn from their past games and remember "hey people didnt really like that shit so we're just going to put our heart and soul into this and make it the best we can" because thats what innovation means right?

honestly its laughable seeing you trying to defend this bullshit. but really dont you think its time this trend of unfinished garbage ends? you dont want people complaining about your game? then fucking finish it first and then release it after all we are spending MONEY on this.

Get a life bro. None of this is as serious as you think it is.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Havin sooo much fun in hazard zone with my friends. The rush of getting to that last extraction is crazy fun.

I wish Rush was a mode in 2042 proper though 😞
I'm hoping they bring back smaller scale modes in the future. Rush with 128 just wouldn't work.

I want to see these as the modes:

Conquest
Small [32 vs 32] - Just use the last gen version of maps.
Large [64 vs 64] - Current Conquest

Breakthrough
Small [32 vs 32] - Use last gen version of maps.
Large [64 vs 64] - Current Breakthrough

Rush
Either limit it to 16 vs 16 or maybe can work with 32 vs 32.

TDM
Plenty of map sections would be great for those who enjoy this mode.

Gun Game
Same as above.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I'm hoping they bring back smaller scale modes in the future. Rush with 128 just wouldn't work.

I want to see these as the modes:

Conquest
Small [32 vs 32] - Just use the last gen version of maps.
Large [64 vs 64] - Current Conquest

Breakthrough
Small [32 vs 32] - Use last gen version of maps.
Large [64 vs 64] - Current Breakthrough

Rush
Either limit it to 16 vs 16 or maybe can work with 32 vs 32.

TDM
Plenty of map sections would be great for those who enjoy this mode.

Gun Game
Same as above.
This, to be honest breakthrough should be 64 players anyways. 128 players doesn't even seem worth it. Not once have I said, man I love that this is 128 players now. Dice upped the player count but didn't really do anything interesting with the maps to take advantage of it (other than make them too big).

The performance of this game is extremely odd as well. Going to 128 will hit the CPU harder but it shouldn't be wreaking rigs the way it is right now. BF5 looks better than 2042 and runs better than 2042. 64 vs 128 shouldn't make THAT big of a difference. Changing graphics settings doesn't really do much either which is really bad for those with lower end rigs. That said I run this game on Ultra (DLSS On, Raytracing off) and get 80 to 120 fps with a 2080ti.

What I really want to see is continued support and development of Portal mode. That could be a gem with more maps, guns, and enhanced ways to code game modes. Really open that shit up and improve the server browser stuff for it and BF could have a huge win in a few months. A lot of the things you are asking for are in portal mode btw. Its just currently a bitch to find the good ones. Need permanently rented servers for 24/7 stuff in portal asap.

Last edited:

TheStam

I actually really miss Domination. Used to be great in BF1, where parts of the bigger maps really worked well although the mode kind of died out in BFV and got removed. I think it's so much better than TDM which is just a bit too chaotic and aimless and you can't really know from where the players on the opposing team are or where they are headed.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
The game is fun, the issue is that it isn't finished and they are selling it like it is. BF 2042 is 6 months to a year away from being a complete game. I am pretty sure portal mode came into existence when they realized they needed content for a game that had Conquest, breakthrough and a half assed Extract Royal. It was the easiest way for them to add "Content". That said portal is awesome and I hope it gets better. DICE LA >>>>>> DICE EUROLAND.

Tg89

honestly embarrassing how incomplete and just overall poor this turned out. what a way to tank what used to be a great franchise. should have been delayed a year or so.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
They could have separated Portal from the base game for $40 and I would have just bought that.

Can't stand the thought of buying the full game at full price with the base games problems
wait until the base game is fixed and portal has more content/options/people get a feel for making modes.

That's the problem with every BF game since BF4. Release broken now, and fix it later.

Top Bottom