• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 RTX trailer

That was a shitty trailer. It was like 90% pre-rendered CGI shit we've already seen before and that FPS drop during the helicopter part :messenger_confused: . OH and they're advertising the games graphics in a 1080p video with segments of shit frame rates in 2021. What the fuck is this?

I really wanted to like and buy this game but I just can't anymore. It's been disappointment after disappointment since the beta.

I'm going to skip this game and buy Immortals Fenyx Rising instead.

Last edited:
We got Ray traced GI like 3 years ago in Metro and not one other big game has managed to give us the same treatment. It's always either reflections and some shadows which no one fucking gives a shit. For 30+ years I never cared nor do I know anyone that ever cared about best quality shadows in games. It's the most demanding and useless feature ever, especially in MP games where framerate > graphics.

Last edited:

RaptorGTA

The helicopter scene really looked like it was dropping frames. WTF? Why keep that shit in a hype trailer?
I was thinking the same thing. The internet loves to crap on anything it finds so why keep something that so apparent? The only thing I could think of it because it looked cool. The trailer felt like a rushed job "quick get something else out to build more hype". Like why not show two scenes where RTX is off and on to show how good RTX is? Are there two marketing teams for this game? You got a set of trailers that do a great job and build hype and then another set that deflates it.

DonF

Was that a scan ability? Oh my... Confirmed, I'm not getting this game. I hated the beta, I haven't liked anything I've seen about this games. Wtf is dice thinking‽

winjer

Gold Member
I was thinking the same thing. The internet loves to crap on anything it finds so why keep something that so apparent? The only thing I could think of it because it looked cool. The trailer felt like a rushed job "quick get something else out to build more hype". Like why not show two scenes where RTX is off and on to show how good RTX is? Are there two marketing teams for this game? You got a set of trailers that do a great job and build hype and then another set that deflates it.

You are probably right.
But I bet nVidia has access to very powerful hardware. So they can run these games and capture scenes to make it look as best as it can.
If even nVidia can't make this game run well enough for a trailer, what chance has the common gamer?
With just half a month away to launch, Dice is very unlikely to fix performance until then.

Last edited:

lils

I think I'm more excited about this game than anything else right now. Wondering if I'll be able to go all-out at 4k with an i9 10900 & a 3080 and hold 60fps...

this 1080p trailer, with presumably a 3090, has frame drops under 60fps, so i don't think so :(

hlm666

We got Ray traced GI like 3 years ago in Metro and not one other big game has managed to give us the same treatment. It's always either reflections and some shadows which no one fucking gives a shit. For 30+ years I never cared nor do I know anyone that ever cared about best quality shadows in games. It's the most demanding and useless feature ever, especially in MP games where framerate > graphics.
I don't think you could do RTGI in a multiplayer game with players using old raster GI methods. I mean you could technically but gameplay you would have players have potentially very different lighting. It could be darker for raster players in a room because no light bounce and then the RT player has an advantage, or the complete opposite aswell in a different environment. AO and Shadows have a smaller performance impact aswell so if your turning off RT versions of them for performance, RTGI will go before them.

But as you said in multiplayer framerate > graphics so RTAO is going to be used about as much as RT reflections were in bf5 (never) so maybe this was the easiest thing for Dice to implement to check that nvidia contract box.

Haggard

Banned
did that carefully curated marketing material seriously show massive framedrops?

Wow....I bet the final release version will totally not be a broken mess...like the Beta.

nikos

My 3080 Ti is ready.

It seems like they rendered that trailer at 60 FPS but the clips used were 30 or less. Even the beta ran well, all things considered.

lils

I need to upgrade my GPU, even playing youtube video of this BF trailer made it go to 30fps...

actually, the video itself has the frame drops. i'm on a 2080ti and i saw it too, especially in the helicopter scene. so dont worry

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Plus no 120 fps option for consoles early on at least

lGWu5JL.jpg

Sanepar

this 1080p trailer, with presumably a 3090, has frame drops under 60fps, so i don't think so :(
Yeap but in terms of graphics , scale and effects looks better than any other fps coming this holiday.

Last edited:

lils

Yeap but in terms of graphics , scale and effects looks better than any other fps coming this holiday.

who cares? you can't run it at an acceptable resolution/framerate.

and i would argue that those are part of the term "graphics"

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm surprised that ray tracing illuminates this game, largely because EA has managed to make a black hole of a game... In that it sucks so hard that it bends spacetime, so not even RTX can escape its pull.

As someone with an RTX 3080 yeah this kind of sucks, I mean in certain situations shadows will be at different points meaning outside of the massive framrate drop your likely putting yourself at a disadvantage due to the shadows in certain situations compared to someone with this off... I mean its hard enough to see anyone in this game as is, so what happens when you have two different sets of people seeing completely different shadows in a multiplayer title.

Last edited:

TheStam

I'll just go for fps / clarity anyways, especially since there is no (mediocre) campaign this time. Will probably use it but RT features are probably not worth it for me.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Since when has raytracing been exciting. The most overhyped gimmick ever just to hype up nvidia cards.

Global GI Raytracing is awe inspiring and shows us what the future will look like. Even something like Minecraft with it looks stunning. Thats when it's exciting.

bargeparty

I'm surprised that ray tracing illuminates this game, largely because EA has managed to make a black hole of a game... In that it sucks so hard that it bends spacetime, so not even RTX can escape its pull.

As someone with an RTX 3080 yeah this kind of sucks, I mean in certain situations shadows will be at different points meaning outside of the massive framrate drop your likely putting yourself at a disadvantage due to the shadows in certain situations compared to someone with this off... I mean its hard enough to see anyone in this game as is, so what happens when you have two different sets of people seeing completely different shadows in a multiplayer title.

so just like every other game where people have adjusted settings to give themselves an advantage.

and you don't use rtx without dlss

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Only RTAO.
Well its better than nothing and something I probably actually wont use.
But its a good option to have for those with free frames that want their game to look good.
Hopefully they eventually patch in RT reflections just so we can actually melt even Ada Lovelace.

Plus no 120 fps option for consoles early on at least

]

Gimped 3700Xs cant handle 128 players on massive massive maps that have destruction, vehicles, Weather effects and chaos going on at 120fps?
Color me shocked.

They could probably unlock the framerate but then we might get drops to the 70s and then everyone who doesnt have a 120Hz screen will complain that DICE are incompetent and cant optimize their game.
So rather wait till they can consistently hit ~100fps before letting the game run free.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Game looks so beautiful. The fact that it looks that good considering all the stuff Battlefield brings just makes it that much impressive.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm pretty eager to try it with dlss. The beta was lacking that and I feel like with the performance I was getting with my 5900 x + 3090 it could have given me that extra booze because I had to make some concessions with the rendering of objects further and things like LODs.

Even with that being said at 4K native I was still getting as high as 90 or a hundred and the dips would be pretty severe into the 20 so not even g-sync could fix all that.

Top Bottom