• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 will add ‘up to 64’ AI bots to help fill its matches, EA confirms

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

EA told The Verge that when Battlefield 2042 is unable to find 128 players of a match, it will fill the gaps with up to 64 AI soldiers to keep games populated.

There are currently no plans to let players turn this feature off, it reportedly said, but humans will always take priority. So at peak times, players may not ever encounter AI-controlled opponents.

Bonus:

Last edited:

elliot5

I'm fine with this but would prefer if they prioritized input and platform cross play to reduce the chances you'd come across bots to begin with. But the bots are fine imo since the maps are so gd large and 128 players is a LOT you'd likely not even know you're shooting at bots compared to some dude just running around.

R6Rider

Gold Member
This is fine as DICE matchmaking will dump you into empty matches.
Every real BF players knows you use the server browser.

200.gif

Kenpachii

Not liking it.

Bots will make the game feel dull. The fun part is to fight real players. This just proofs they have low confidence in people stayed at the game.

If bots are present they need to be clearly named as such so u know u are on a bot server.

Last edited:

Knightime_X

This is great.
Even when the game is dead or low points in play time you'll always have someone to play with.
I wonder if bots will quickly fill spaces where people rage quit.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
you guys quite optimistic, lets hope the bots will actually have some form of basic AI function lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't play BF much at all. I try for a bit and bail. Shitty servers, freezes and just partying up barely works.

But most important turn off, legions of snipers. Guys who dress ghille and sit on a cliff or hidden in a bush all game.

If I can play offline matches with bot mode(?), I'd prefer that.

But for COD, it's all about online gaming. You dont get sniperfests in COD.

Last edited:

BigLee74

All the fun in MP is knowing that you are playing against real people somewhere in the world.

I personally don’t want to play against bots. As soon as it’s apparent I am, I will nope out.

Sounds like a bad move, but I suppose I could wait to see if it’s a real issue or not.

ZywyPL

Banned
The game better be super popular then and have a strong community. But this makes me question the choice of target 128 players in the first place, wonder how the bots will behave, will they use vehicles or just be on foot 24/7? How will they cooperate in terms of vehicle combat, classes specializations, objectives, teamplay? In a game like BF ordinary running and gunning won't cut it, if they want to fill up to half of the playercount with bots, they have to be good, really good.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
What makes this funny is valve patching TF2 to help resolve the bot problem in that game has resulted in a new all time high player count...

People love bots, I mean it bassicaly runs a random calculation to see if it headshot you across the map with a deagle or not.

bellome

Using bots to fill lobbies in MP games is wrong. Very wrong from a gameplay experience perspective.

But it's EA, I don't expect anything smart from them.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
This completely killed my enthusiasm.

When I chose to press "play Online-Multiplayer" I intended to play against other players. I did not press "offline match".

I will avoid those servers like the plague, but the scumbag choice would be to hide that information on the server list, so that is whats going to happen.

Tschumi

I guess they won't be needed too much.. i wonder how much better bot ai has got since time splitters...

i personally hate playing against AI in MP games. This kinda irks me, im not gonna lie.

I live on east coast US so hopefully i wont have to worry too much about unpopulated servers but always having in the back of my mind of not knowing if who i killed was real or not bothers me.

i sure hope the server browser indicated if there are any bots on the server or not and i hope custom servers can turn them off

ill be making my voice heard during the beta about this

Last edited:
The game better be super popular then and have a strong community. But this makes me question the choice of target 128 players in the first place, wonder how the bots will behave, will they use vehicles or just be on foot 24/7? How will they cooperate in terms of vehicle combat, classes specializations, objectives, teamplay? In a game like BF ordinary running and gunning won't cut it, if they want to fill up to half of the playercount with bots, they have to be good, really good.
only thing worse then getting beat to the apache by another player is getting beat to the apache by a fuking bot

Knightime_X

Using bots to fill lobbies in MP games is wrong. Very wrong from a gameplay experience perspective.

But it's EA, I don't expect anything smart from them.
They should have the option to disable them and force the player to wait forever for lobbies to fill to a certain %.
Just like older games.
You know... the ones that are almost totally dead because they can't get a game started 99% of the time.

bellome

They should have the option to disable them and force the player to wait forever for lobbies to fill to a certain %.
Just like older games.
You know... the ones that are almost totally dead because they can't get a game started 99% of the time.
Right, but BF should have a community big enough to ensure pretty fast matchmaking times.

Server list also helps mitigate the problem.

Dolomite

Will the bot count be visible from the server browser? If so this may be a non-issue. I'm already pretty picky about which server I join anyway

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I personally have no problem with bots filling some empty slots. If 2042 is as successful as they plan, and as a lot of us want, then bots won't be taking up many slots because they'll already be populated. Especially with cross platform play, etc.

I think it's funny that years ago so many people were upset with improper balance, lack of players, etc. At those times players also asked for better matchmaking (which isn't possible without more players), so bots were added to fix the issue. While bots were never perfect, they helped to a degree and for the most part people were content. Of course, some games did it better than others, but that's neither here nor there.

Now, here we are, where people are beginning to grow upset about the addition of bots, lmao.

I saw people legit getting salty regarding bots popping up in Chivalry 2's FFA, which made no sense to me. FFA = kill everything, more bodies = more potential kills. 🤷‍♂️

But then I remember that there are people that care TOO much about KDA, them being on top of the scoreboard, their team winning, etc. Meanwhile, I just want to play and have a good time. Respect to those that care, but the ones that get so damn tilted over it need to chill. Not like they're in or going into esports or anything, lol.

Last edited:

SantaC

People complained that they wanted to play vs bots in BF1, BF5 and now when you can in BF6, people still complain. Never change.

Fake

Not liking it.

Bots will make the game feel dull. The fun part is to fight real players. This just proofs they have low confidence in people stayed at the game.

If bots are present they need to be clearly named as such so u know u are on a bot server.

You know they will not. I remember quit from some Gears of War 3 matches because they put bots.

IMO Bots are stupid way of resolve the games problem. IDK how people on consoles will pay to play with bots. So dumb.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not liking it.

This wont be a thing in American or European servers. Maybe asian servers and other smaller regions.

Even BF1 has full servers nowadays and thats a game that came out 5 years ago. Matchmaking will always put you in an existing server instead of starting a brand new server.

EA told The Verge that when Battlefield 2042 is unable to find 128 players of a match, it will fill the gaps with up to 64 AI soldiers to keep games populated.

There are currently no plans to let players turn this feature off, it reportedly said, but humans will always take priority. So at peak times, players may not ever encounter AI-controlled opponents.

Bonus:

Whats the point of having 128 players if you can't even fill them without bots?

Fake

Right, but BF should have a community big enough to ensure pretty fast matchmaking times.

This pretty much tell you how confidence they are about this new battlefield. The BF community is a very large one, maybe get lower because CoD been better those days, but still high.

They're very cautions about those decisions they made over the course of this game and previous one, so this is much like 'Hey, if don't work like BF1 we at least have a plan B'

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Not sure why so many people have a problem with bots filling the empty spots until more players join the match. The old BF games had it and they're finally bringing it back.

It also allows for trying out maps, practicing vehicles, and experimenting with different guns instead of joining an empty lobby.

If a squad full of people quit a match they will be replaced with bots until more players join.

YuLY

Have they actually confirmed anywhere if you can play solo against these bots offline ? with highlight on the offline word, cause they confirmed you can play solo, but I wonder if they still force you online even if you dont want to play against real players, like the old games.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Have they actually confirmed anywhere if you can play solo against these bots offline ? with highlight on the offline word, cause they confirmed you can play solo, but I wonder if they still force you online even if you dont want to play against real players, like the old games.
Pretty sure they confirmed you can play with all other 127 slots as bots if you want and still progress and unlock stuff. I'll see if I can find link.

EDIT: Here is one article about it: https://gamerant.com/battlefield-2042-bots-ai-soldiers/

Last edited:
Top Bottom