• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield head of design is leaving DICE, following 2042 release

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

His departure was announced in an email sent to staff this week, seen by VGC, in which he revealed he’d been planning to leave for some time once the studio’s latest shooter had been shipped.

The former King studio director had served as DICE’s head of design since 2019. His role saw him helm the design team of over 80 creative directors, game designers and more, on projects such as Battlefield 2042, Star Wars Battlefront II and Battlefield V.

“It was an absolute pleasure to serve on the best design teams in the galaxy,” he wrote in his email to staff. “The incredible design work that you do continues to inspire me every day. Thank you for putting some faith in me, I hope I didn’t disappoint.”

The email continues: “I have been made an offer I couldn’t refuse at another company that has been kind enough to wait for me until we have shipped [Battlefield 2042]. It was super important to me to be here with the team as we achieve this historical milestone.

“While Oskar [Gabrielson, studio GM] and myself have been discussing my succession plans for some time – and it will be announced in due course – we opted to delay this communication till after launch to keep the focus – rightfully so – on the game we’ve been putting a monumental amount of effort on.”

Mesmar’s final day at DICE will be November 26. According to his email, his next position will also be based in Stockholm.

An Electronic Arts representative told VGC, “Fawzi Mesmar is leaving DICE at the end of the week. We wish him the best in his future endeavours.”

The head of design’s claims of a long-planned succession for his role would suggest that his departure will not affect DICE’s plans to improve Battlefield 2042 via post-launch updates.

VN1X

Banned
In response to this news I bought WW3.

BsUna5p.png

Much thanks and goodbye.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
No idea why resignations in this industry get publicized so much. Just people doing work. In this case shitty work.

They pass the usually misleading idea that the team of the popular game X is in trouble, so they make for good clickbait for websites that don't have anything more relevant to write.

Fake

No idea why resignations in this industry get publicized so much. Just people doing work. In this case shitty work.

Clicks, hate, blaming game community, console war fuel. Can be any of those implication. Remember IGN making an article saying Battlefield 2042 have the worst review steam ever and at the same time have the high player base? They normally want people to fight.

Maybe given twitter/facebook folks thirsty for Activision guy resignation soon.

Top Bottom