• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront DLC and free updates (maps, modes, outfits, private matches) detailed

EYEL1NER

I was hoping there would be some mention of offline bot play but it appears that people asking within the last couple days on Twitter have been answered with "We are still investigating it." I really wanted offline boy MP because of my being in a location overseas without good internet but found out I will be getting home sooner than I thought, within the next 30 days. It would still be nice to have it though, even if I won't be needing it (I could still see myself loading up some offline Sqaudron or Walker missions to get some practice in).

WillyFive

Bold emphasis mine.

I distinctly remember DICE saying the season pass content would be 4 NEW maps (1 per DLC pack). Cloud City and the Death Star are great, but neither Tatooine nor Sullust are new - even if the locations within them will be. I was really hoping for an inspired Dagobah map, but then people would expect a playable Yoda hero and we can't have that.

You are confusing planets with maps. Might as well say that Battlefield 4 only came with one map.

Way to completely nerf my go to loadout... it can't be OP if everyone is using it?
Just because everyone's using it, doesn't mean it can't be OP. I had more fun at launch when people generally survived longer and/or had a tougher time against the walkers and heroes. Now, with everyone ranked up using these OP weapons/abilities, AT-STs, Heroes and even the AT-ATs don't last that long hardly posing a challenge unless the teams are unbalanced skill/ability-wise. And I didn't like advancing to the action just to respawn so far back because I was one shotted by a cheese weapon that everyone had.

You are confusing planets with maps. Might as well say that Battlefield 4 only came with one map.

Well to be fair, SW treats their planets like countries/geological regions. Forest planet, frozen planet, desert planet, city planet, etc.

Bluth54

Nah, the matchmaking is just utterly fucked. Sometimes it simply doesn't find a game no matter what even at the busiest time of day.
Also, sometimes one can open player Origin profiles while the MM is working, indicating there is actually a match but the game never displays it or makes it joinable for some reason.

PC has a 24 hour peak playerbase of under 10,000 compared to over 40,000 for Xbox and over 60,000 on PS4. I would say the playerbase is pretty dead on PC, especially since there are so many game modes to split players among.

Homing nerfs incoming today

african-celebration-o.gif

PC has a 24 hour peak playerbase of under 10,000 compared to over 40,000 for Xbox and over 60,000 on PS4. I would say the playerbase is pretty dead on PC, especially since there are so many game modes to split players among.

Yeah some gaffers were saying before release that this isn't likely a game you get on PC despite the extra bells and whistles because the player base probably won't be there.

Homing nerfs incoming today

african-celebration-o.gif

That and the DL-44 was so much of a joke that the fun got sucked out and I haven't played in weeks. this may bring me back now.

Christ, the A-Wing needs nerfing now and I'd be happy. A good pilot in an A wing can completely dominate an entire match.

That and the DL-44 was so much of a joke that the fun got sucked out and I haven't played in weeks. this may bring me back now.

Christ, the A-Wing needs nerfing now and I'd be happy. A good pilot in an A wing can completely dominate an entire match.

The DL-44 I could deal with, I'm actually sad it's being nerfed as I'm just getting to lv 25.

The homing shot though, good lord is that thing annoying.
Can't walk 10 paces without "missile incoming" flashing across the screen.

I nearly broke my controller last night lol

Surprised to see no A-win nerf though.

Wow season pass content seems pretty pants considering you have to wait until Fall this year to get the last pack.

Bit longer than even that:

"Star Wars Battlefront Expansion Pack 4 - Title TBA (Early 2017) - We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months."

Xzan

I hate to complain about free stuff, but just making a survival map playable on mp modes? Plus I gotta say the content in the season pass is a little bare compared to Battlefield. But with that it's better to wait and see what will actually be in there in the end, including how those maps and such are designed. Beeping and death star sound great so far, though unclear on how walker assault will work, if it even gets retained there.

As for the patches, it's not too bad. Explosive shot seems a little harsh to cut by 60%, but we'll see how that feels tomorrow. Dl44 nerf looks good. Doing damage, firerate, and heating together would have killed the weapon and just make people complain to nerf the shock blaster and triple shot blaster next. Good on the trophy fix as well.

Really disappointed by the absence of an Awing hit box fix and that the falcon only receives a 30% hit. Feel like Slave 1 got shafted more so by making it more papery than it already is. Ion missile also didn't get fixed to reliably hit Y wings.

Nah, Explosive Shot and Scan Pulse were just too good to not take one or the other. Focus Fire becomes more of a viable alternative now and may see more use along with Ion Shot.

Cooling Cell I still don't see any use for. CA-87 maybe? Post-nerf DL-44?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bespin and Death Star! Sold.

Liking the changes and free stuff. Next up for February, A-Wing nerf. Since this patch was done pre-Xmas.

Wat. My eyes just rolled out of my head if true. It's a damn bikini. Source?
Well Disney doesn't think the idea of a slave bikini to be particularly tasteful or appropriate, especially with so many young girls being Star Wars fans now. They pulled the entire line of Black Series Slave Leia figures.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What makes A-wings OP? is it the temp shield they had from the beta?

Their hit box is very very small compared to the other fighters, combined with speed, and shields (which they technically should not have), they are pretty OP in the right hands.

I feel dirty using one, thus I stick with the more iconic X-Wing.

I like the free content but i am insanely disappointed with the DLCs.

They only told us the 3 of the 4 pack's "themes", not all the content of each one.

Yeah some gaffers were saying before release that this isn't likely a game you get on PC despite the extra bells and whistles because the player base probably won't be there.
outside of droid run that no one is playing, I havent had issues finding games on PC. Its made a perfect companion shooter to R6 Siege

Well Disney doesn't think the idea of a slave bikini to be particularly tasteful or appropriate, especially with so many young girls being Star Wars fans now. They pulled the entire line of Black Series Slave Leia figures.
If they called her "Prisoner Leia" from the beginning it might of got a pass. Maybe. It seems mostly to be due to the "slave" term, but I'm sure the bikini itself is part of the issue (not that there aren't a lot of original Disney creations in similar attire).

Not a big deal really because Bounty Hunter attire is way cooler. And has its own Black Series figure (in counter to the "only Leia toys are Slave Leia" argument).

Definitely hope we get that costume in Battlefront.

Yea. I remember them saying they are sticking with the OT. Honestly from a business perspective it's a missed opportunity really. They could make even more money after this initial season pass if they included PT stuff as well as TFA.

Not having TFA content definitely boggles my mind seeing as how people IT was and how popular the characters are.

Agreed. I don't really get why they did this except, of course, so they can sell Battlefront 2 in 2017/18. TFA has a lot of heroes and some fantastic locations for additional maps.

Honestly with no level cap increase in this patch I have zero incentive to play until March (when, supposedly, this will happen). I'm very goal-driven, and I need some kind of carrot to work toward.

prag16

Banned

I read that too. i think its true.

I don't even think they coined the "slave" term. IIRC they called it a dancer outfit in 1983, then over the years it began unofficially being referred to as "slave" and it stuck. Looking for a source on that..

Agreed. I don't really get why they did this except, of course, so they can sell Battlefront 2 in 2017/18. TFA has a lot of heroes and some fantastic locations for additional maps.

That's the only logical reason... that they plan to release a Battlefront 2 either late 2017 or 2018 which will be chiefly based on episodes 7/8. In a vacuum NOW, they're leaving a lot of money on the table, but they must figure it'll be worth it.

Honestly with no level cap increase in this patch I have zero incentive to play until March (when, supposedly, this will happen). I'm very goal-driven, and I need some kind of carrot to work toward.
Is winning the match not enough? Or if that's too team oriented outside your control, is improving your personal performance not enough?

Not trying to hate, just curious how this feeling takes root from others perspectives.

prag16

Banned
Is winning the match not enough? Or if that's too team oriented outside your control, is improving your personal performance not enough?

Not trying to hate, just curious how this feeling takes root from others perspectives.

It's the cheevo culture pervading everything these days. Always need that carrot. What good is thoroughly beating a game if you don't get a shiny Platinum trophy. I used to roll my eyes and get into arguments with people. over this type of thing, but nowadays, meh. Not worth it.

Sounds good, my only complain is that it's stupid to divide the playerbase with the paid DLC maps (in general, but especially if you're only selling a mp game).
Especially in this game that screams for more LOCATIONS (and not just more maps/modes).

Oh well, at least the game got so cheap quickly (50% off over Christmas period, digital PSN) that maybe I'll buy a map pack if my buddy does as well. I'm not actively playing it but it's a nice jump-in mp game to do party chat.

prag16

Banned
Sounds good, my only complain is that it's stupid to divide the playerbase with the paid DLC maps (in general, but especially if you're only selling a mp game).
Especially in this game that screams for more LOCATIONS (and not just more maps/modes).

The PC player count is struggling a bit; splitting the base when the paid DLC hits may not work out too well. :(

Oh well, at least the game got so cheap quickly (50% off over Christmas period, digital PSN) that maybe I'll buy a map pack if my buddy does as well. I'm not actively playing it but it's a nice jump-in mp game to do party chat.
As far as the DLC goes, everything announced is a new location. You can label Jabba's Palace as Tattoine all you want, but aesthetically it'll look very different. Bespin and Death Star more so.

k4n3

Banned
as for the new heroes/villains

death star map makes obi-wan a lock because they will sell it as the dual of obi vs vader, i also think tarkin will be in this xpack since he died there would also be pretty cool hero as he could call in air strikes ect and is pretty much the only other non BH villain of note in the OT

as for the other 2 i think chewbacca is a lock since his weapon is in the game already and hes in all 3 trilogy's and is a fan fav, he could be a slow tankish type hero take a ton of damage but makeup for it by ripping off arms and having explosive damage as his main attack..... as for the last empire villain i have no clue, there is noway they will add another BH maybe someone from jabbas palace or a member of the Emperor's Royal Guard?

Woorloog

Banned

10k peak is more than adequate to find games at peak times. Except the MM occasionally doesn't produce a match no matter what. You can find games quickly enough in games with less players...
Like i said, i can open player Origin profiles by clicking seemingly empty space. The only explanation for that is that there is a match but the game doesn't ever actually offer it for some reason. Buggy piece of shit.

Woorloog

Banned
I was hoping for Dagobah with Yoda as playable hero.

That would be so broken. Yoda's too small a target.

No, i don't think there's any chance Yoda will be a playable hero.
Or that we get Dagobah.

I kind of hope they'd make Dantooine as a DLC planet. It is very OT since it is mentioned in ANH, and it might be an interesting environment.
Not in the films, you say? Neither was Sullust. OT-timeline doesn't rule out unseen places, just determines the technology and visual style of things, me thinks.

RdN

Update added the option to change data centers, so I'm FINALLY able to play the game!

Very happy about this!!

That would be so broken. Yoda's too small a target.

No, i don't think there's any chance Yoda will be a playable hero.
Or that we get Dagobah.

I kind of hope they'd make Dantooine as a DLC planet. It is very OT since it is mentioned in ANH, and it might be an interesting environment.
Not in the films, you say? Neither was Sullust. OT-timeline doesn't rule out unseen places, just determines the technology and visual style of things, me thinks.
I loved Dantoine in KOTOR.

If they add the Death Star to this game I might have to pick it up on sale sometime just for that. My nostalgia for the Death Star levels in previous Battlefronts is too great.

Woorloog

Banned
For fuck's sake. Yet another MM bug. It offered a game, and then suddenly pulled that offer before i could accept it, or before the auto-join timer counted to 0.

Top Bottom