• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 devs on game’s origins, Kamiya says he’s “forever indebted to Nintendo”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PlatinumGames supervising director Hideki Kamiya 3 and Nintendo producer Makoto Okazaki have talked about the origins of Bayonetta 3. The information comes from this week’s issue of Japanese magazine Famitsu, as the two participated in an in-depth discussion about the Switch title.

Kamiya confirmed that PlatinumGames started working on a proposal and prototype after its previous project, Scalebound, was cancelled. Nintendo was already moving forward with ports of Bayonetta 1 and 2 for Switch, and Kamiya then shared a video message which Okazaki believes “was the final push that made this game into a reality.” Meanwhile, Kamiya mentioned that he’s “forever indebted to Nintendo.”

Below are Kamiya and Okazaki’s comments about the origins of Bayonetta 3, as translated by Nintendo Everything:

To begin with, how did planning for Bayonetta 3 start off?
Kamiya:
For the timeframe, it was right after the project we were working on, Scalebound, got cancelled. We decided to start work on Bayonetta 3, a game the fans wanted, and one that I wanted to make as well. Just writing up the proposal costs nothing, so we started molding the prototype. I proceeded to come up with the concepts, and made some rough drafts first. While (director Yusuke) Miyata and the others put those into the proposal, we worked with character designer Mari Shimazaki-san on Bayonetta’s new design, and also started giving form to the story.

Then you took that to Nintendo?
Okazaki:
Before that, we already had plans to port Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2 to the Nintendo Switch. It was brought up.
Kamiya: When we tried to get a feel for whether or not they’d let us do this, they gave it consideration optimistically.
Okazaki: After that, we received a passionate video message from Kamiya-san about this game. Personally, I think that was the final push that made this game into a reality.
Kamiya: Speaking of that, I think I was asked to make that video by (PlatinumGames CEO Atsushi) Inaba (laughs). He said he wanted to show the creator’s passion directly. I said earlier that I was almost completely uninvolved with Bayonetta 2, but I did write the story, and I think they kept it intact mostly. Since I saw that it was well-received, I wanted to expand the world even further for the fans, and also wanted to challenge myself. That’s why I was really happy that we were able to make the third game. I’m not exaggerating when I say I’m forever indebted to Nintendo.

Barakov

I have no idea who Kamiya or Nintendo is. I was only ever interested in the series because of Hellena.
well done GIF

Power Pro

This makes me happy. Nintendo was willing to support a franchise that won't sell in boatloads. Thank the lord they liked Bayonetta because this franchise and perhaps Platinum as a whole would not exist at this point without them.
Yet they won't even support some of their own franchises that would probably sell better than any Bayonetta game. Nintendo confuse the hell out of me sometimes.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Some people like talking shit about Bayonetta story but I'm enjoying 2's one a lot right now while playing, it's one of the things I think they nailed, specially on its presentation, didn't know Kamiya wrote it.

That man is closer to having one of his stories animated on an anime than many actual mangakas lol hope they get the chance to make the Star Fox game they wanted to make

Kataploom

Gold Member
Monkeys paw situation where its good the series is still going on but shackled to hardware that can't support its ambition.
Do Platinum games even have the resources themselves to carry their own ambition? I'm pretty sure they have further limitations then Switch specs, they're not Rockstar or Square-Enix size (even if highly talented)

Hugare

And that voice actor still thinks this series is some huge system seller

Kamiya was almost begging for Nintendo to make the game happen

I'm worried about Platinum

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As noted by Alishock on Reddit, Platinum Games’ outspoken producer has taken to Twitter multiple times to say that he has plans for Bayonetta’s whole story to be told over nine games. The latest comment was posted on October 30 teasing fans by saying that even nine entries might not be enough to tell the full story.

JimmyF

Almost sounds like they were trying to make scalebound with the Bayonetta ip. Even now the pacing in the game isn't that good, and the focus on big monster battles is a dead giveaway.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
This makes me happy. Nintendo was willing to support a franchise that won't sell in boatloads. Thank the lord they liked Bayonetta because this franchise and perhaps Platinum as a whole would not exist at this point without them.
Maybe for a bit. They need to secure their next project

Nocturno999

Bayo 3 is my goty so far (haven't played Elden Ring yet). Game has flaws because they are looking to make it a AAA franchise. Not much combat with minigames tossed in between in semi open areas.

In the second run it's not that noticeable since a lot of items, etc. are unlocked. And you get an arena DMC 5 type were you fight waves of enemies.

Last edited:
Bayo 3 is my goty so far (haven't played Elden Ring yet). Game has flaws because they are looking to make it a AAA franchise. Not much combat with minigames tossed in between in semi open areas.

In the second run it's not that noticeable since a lot of items, etc. are unlocked. And you get an arena DMC 5 type were you fight waves of enemies.
I dont see how any game is going to beat it for my GOTY at this point. But going to keep an open mind and play more stuff first.

-Zelda-

Banned
As good as Bayo 3 is I think I probably would have preferred this. Not necessarily open world but a Mario 64-esque Metroidvanietta would be amazing. I hope they keep it in mind for part 4.
Agreed with this. I prefer open zones, rather than open world. Feels more Organized that way. Final Fantasy 12 was open zone, right? Not pure open world with too many entry and exit points per map area. I like that sort of design.

-Zelda-

Banned
I really want to know if the Streisand effect took place with this game or not in regards to it's sales. I really hope it blew up thanks to Helena's lies and other issues. I loved her voice, but shame on her for all that BS.

Last edited:
Top Bottom