• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 Director Confirms Recasting Rumors

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Last year, Bayonetta voice actor Hellena Taylor made headlines after hinting that she might not be returning to voice the role in Bayonetta 3. Developer PlatinumGames has now confirmed that Taylor will not voice the character in the Nintendo Switch game; instead, Jennifer Hale will be stepping into the role. Taylor has voiced the character in the past two Bayonetta games, as well as in the Super Smash Bros. series. In an interview with Game Informer, director Yusuke Miyata revealed that "overlapping circumstances" were to blame for the recast, while speaking highly of Hale's performance as the game's protagonist.

"Various overlapping circumstances made it difficult for Hellena Taylor to reprise her role. We held auditions to cast the new voice of Bayonetta and offered the role to Jennifer Hale, whom we felt was a good match for the character," said Miyata. "I understand the concerns some fans have about the voice change at this point in the series, but Jennifer's performance was way beyond what we could have imagined. I'm confident that her portrayal of Bayonetta will exceed our fans' expectations."

Longtime fans of the Bayonetta games are sure to be disappointed by the news that Taylor won't be returning, but Jennifer Hale has a long history in the video game industry, voicing a number of beloved characters. Hale's voice work can be heard in games such as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Bastila Shan), BioShock Infinite (Rosalind Lutece), and Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Jean Grey). She has also voiced Samus Aran in all three previous entries of the Metroid Prime series, though it has not been confirmed whether she'll return for Metroid Prime 4.

bender

What time is it?
200w.gif

More bad vibes from Bayo 3.

kunonabi

I don't believe his line about overlapping circumstances one bit considering she had to sign an nda. As I said before if Taylor is out, I'm out. At this point I'm probably done with platinum altogether.

Shut0wen

Jennifer Hale is the most overrated voice actress. She was awful as Lightning in ffxiii and she was bad in Mass Effect.
Nah not over rated, probably under rated, she can do a massive ray voices, she did a decent job of bayonetta in smash bros and others from cindrella from wreck it ralph to felicia hardy in spiderman 94, plus she actually did a decent job in mass effect since all dialog was written for male shep

Saber

Gold Member
So they did want the original voice for her, so I presume it has nothing to do with the story.
I just hope shes up for the job.

DonF

Lame. I don't believe a voice actress was overbooked. I've seen lots of voice actors praising their circumstances, that they can work from everywhere, all they need is a decent studio and send the work online.
Why would she quit or be fired?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I love her voice. She failed her fans. I’m not super upset. I bet Bayo3 is going to be really good. We all got use to this with V.

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Jennifer Hale is the most overrated voice actress. She was awful as Lightning in ffxiii and she was bad in Mass Effect.

Yea bro like it's movies and the and Joe Rogan he keeps getting typocasted into these lowebrow comedicy and that's what she settled for and now all of his roles will be dumb fat funny guy hahaha but not really come on and if she was is gonna be doing work on byanetta I'm gonna review bombbthat woke Santa show he made while he was getting hung. On the cross for being on Spotify and like y'all tripping kmsl like I remember the hannover 2 and hosting fear factory making normies eat like raw bull penis stuffed with scorpion or some shit haha kids these days I'm sorry thi s post is dragging I'm gonna cut it right

Graciaus

"Longtime fans of the Bayonetta games are sure to be disappointed by the news that Taylor won't be returning"

Got nervous for a second with the title. I would never listen to the dub so no.

Neff

Yeah it's just not gonna be the same. Taylor was perfect.

I'm not convinced a US/Canadian VA can pull off the bizarre but brilliant blend of anime heroine, Mary Poppins-esque class and seaside postcard smut as authentically as she did. In fact Bayonetta is probably the most convincingly British thing to ever come out of Japan and a huge part of that is down to Taylor. A great shame.

So now it's come out that her schedule was completely open to voice act for the role and she was only offered $4000 which is beyond insulting. I think she has every right to be furious.

I hate when videogame companies pull crap like this as the lack of her voice will stick out like a sore thumb and hurt the game.

Banned
So now it's come out that her schedule was completely open to voice act for the role and she was only offered $4000 which is beyond insulting. I think she has every right to be furious.

I hate when videogame companies pull crap like this as the lack of her voice will stick out like a sore thumb and hurt the game.

I mean, they now hired someone who is more expensive, so that seems to me like a her problem.

just like not every actor gets the same amount for a movie, the same is true for voice actors

bender

What time is it?
I mean, they now hired someone who is more expensive, so that seems to me like a her problem.

just like not every actor gets the same amount for a movie, the same is true for voice actors

More expensive doesn't make something better though. Sutherland was more expensive than Hayter and while you could say that Hayter hammed it up, Sutherland was dreadful. Same with more establish actors working on the Silent Hill HD collection and completely fucking up the artist intent and tone.

Banned
More expensive doesn't make something better though. Sutherland was more expensive than Hayter and while you could say that Hayter hammed it up, Sutherland was dreadful. Same with more establish actors working on the Silent Hill HD collection and completely fucking up the artist intent and tone.

more expensive = the studio thinks it will being in more money... it's never about being better.

Schwarzenegger was once one of the top earnings actors, that doesn't mean he's a good actor

bender

What time is it?
more expensive = the studio thinks it will being in more money... it's never about being better.

Schwarzenegger was once one of the top earnings actors, that doesn't mean he's a good actor

Somewhat fair, but not apples to apples. Kojima has a Hollywood boner and I'm not sure how my films Schwarzenegger took over the role of a long established character in a long running series. And when it's Konami pulling the trigger on decisions, it's often an argument for going the opposite direction.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The amount of fanboys defending this crap. She voices one of the most iconic characters and only gets paid 4k. While the suits feast of lobsters and hookers and champagne. Shameful

"She was awful anyway"

🤡
She is great voice actor but I will not boycott this game or any game over voice acting.

SLB1904

Banned
She is great voice actor but I will not boycott this game or any game over voice acting.
You dont need to boycott. You just need to send a message to these greedy executives fucks that keep underpay their staff while they make more money they could ever afford to spend

Banned
The amount of fanboys defending this crap. She voices one of the most iconic characters and only gets paid 4k. While the suits feast of lobsters and hookers and champagne. Shameful

"She was awful anyway"

🤡

she was a voice actor in a failing franchise that is only alive because Nintendo needed a prestige title for Wii U, which sold less than half as many copies as the first game that already sold so poorly that noone but Nintendo was willing to finance a sequel... which they only did because they were desperate for Wii U games to fill the lineup.

you can't expect to be part of a franchise that's barely keeping its head above water and be paid top dollar.

iconic =/= lucrative

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You dont need to boycott. You just need to send a message to these greedy executives fucks that keep underpay their staff while they make more money they could ever afford to spend
Nah, I'll leave that to the social justice warriors.

Pedro Motta

she was a voice actor in a failing franchise that is only alive because Nintendo needed a prestige title for Wii U, which sold less than half as many copies as the first game that already sold so poorly that noone but Nintendo was willing to finance a sequel... which they only did because they were desperate for Wii U games to fill the lineup.

you can't expect to be part of a franchise that's barely keeping its head above water and be paid top dollar.

iconic =/= lucrative
Top dollar? 4000$ is very low for the amount of work in a game like this.. It’s borderline criminal this offer. If a game isn’t lucrative they shouldn’t make it.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Badass aren't you
Yeah, but that's beside the point.

I'm just a gamer and I'm not desperate enough for a cause in life to make it my business to fight for every voice actor and staff member on a dev team like it actually matters to me.

Hold my beer.

ReBurn

Gold Member

"She was awful anyway"

🤡
How much should she have been paid?

radewagon

Yeah, 4,000 dollars for a couple days of work is absolutely criminal... you're right...
People with excpetional talent are not paid solely by the amount of time that they work. That is a rather reductive way to view the work of an actor. They are paid not just for the amount of work but also by the strength of their name and the quality of their work. Her voice is in regards to Bayonetta is rather iconic and goes hand in hand with the character, so her name's attachment to the project is significant. Additionally, the quality of her work has been top notch.

Why so many acting like she's just some dime-a-dozen employee punching out at the end of the day?

Top Bottom