• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonneta 3 | Review Thread

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
all i want to know.. is the opening of bayonetta 3 more epic then bayonetta 2?
are the setpieces even crazier?

otherwise i do not care,
bayo 2 is hands down the craziest game i played in the past years. and i had a huge grin on my face almost all the time.
this is arcade gaming.

time stamped

Last edited:

ssringo

f9Cqhv0.jpg
Off topic but no matter how many times I see this guy I can never see RDJ.

Boy bawang

Wouldn't they make the exact same game on any other platform?

Bayonetta 1 was on cutting edge (For its time) hardware and it was celebrated just as much as this.

The budget to develop cutting edge games on new hardware has exploded since the xbox360 era. I'm of the opinion, Platinum doesn't have the resources, and maybe doesn't have the talent, to reproduce what they did at the time. Nintendo and their comparatively less powerful hardware is I believe a perfect fit for them.

The budget to develop cutting edge games on new hardware has exploded since the xbox360 era. I'm of the opinion, Platinum doesn't have the resources, and maybe doesn't have the talent, to reproduce what they did at the time. Nintendo and their comparatively less powerful hardware is I believe a perfect fit for them.
Nintendo is also the only reason Bayonetta is still going. There is no way there would have been a sequel to that game if Nintendo didn't come in to the picture.

Thirty7ven

Banned
This is a charater action beat em up , get the fuck out of here with gender identity and sexuality politics you cretins

Fair to say that it’s a big game amongst the lgbtq crowd, probably its main audience not even bullshitting you. Lady Gaga is a fan.

RobRSG

To be honest, I turned off my brain in Bayo 1 and 2 (even though 2 is a lot easier to figure out what is going on) and had a great time. Even after replaying, and paying attention to the in-game dialogs, and piecing the plot together in my subsequent playthroughs, I don’t think the story is anything to brag about. I was completely invested on the gameplay itself…

Somehow some reviewers expected for an engrossing and deep plot here, while the series has this really messed up story telling and the plot was always convoluted and silly (and this is 100% OK).

jigglet

Banned
From the Polygon review:

But if you ever wanted to believe that there was something deeper to Bayonetta’s story — some grander statement about femininity and sexuality and power dynamics — you’ll find the truth to be quite a disappointment. Viola did tell me at the very beginning of this game that it would reveal this fundamental truth to me. I only wish I could have lived in ignorance for a little while longer.

Ignorance is what you actively sought, not what you broke out of.

From the Polygon review:

But if you ever wanted to believe that there was something deeper to Bayonetta’s story — some grander statement about femininity and sexuality and power dynamics — you’ll find the truth to be quite a disappointment. Viola did tell me at the very beginning of this game that it would reveal this fundamental truth to me. I only wish I could have lived in ignorance for a little while longer.

What is the reviewers issue exactly? That the characters are heterosexual?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
some grander statement about femininity and sexuality and power dynamics
Who the fuck plays Bayonetta for this!? it’s same shit we got when Astral Chain came out, they complained about why there is no statement about police brutality, when the story is clearly about you fighting monsters from different dimension.

This is not proper criticism, this is just want entirely different thing from the game which is mostly their problem rather than the game itself.

Last edited:

Labolas

From the Polygon review:

Imagine thinking that two women can be friends and concerned about one another and NOT be sexual, they have to be GAY for each other.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I can’t get over this Polygon weirdo’s review lol.

Imagine flipping this around and a male Polygon reviewer doesn’t recommend a game because the female protagonist isn’t into men. They’d be tarred and feathered.

Mozzarella

Wow, good reviews! impressive. I just have a quick genuine question, everytime i look at a Nintendo game reviews i notice the Nintendo Life is giving 10/10, are they generally very generous? Or maybe its coincidence?

Oh also fuck twitter, literally the worst social media platform to exist, and people dare say its Tiktok, at least people using Tiktok are having fun, people who use Twitter always come off as miserable. Everytime i visit Twitter its something something complain, something something toxic, something something cancel. I wonder if Elon Musk deal will make any bit of change. If i am a game dev i will never use Twitter, pretty sure thats why Miyazaki san is doing well.

Danjin44

everytime i look at a Nintendo game reviews i notice the Nintendo Life is giving 10/10, are they generally very generous? Or maybe its coincidence?
Destructoid also give Bayonetta 3 10/10 but then again I LOVED Bayonetta 1&2 I dont need "score" to tell me if game is worth it or not.

JayK47

Waiting for the PC release. Seriously though, would be nice to get the whole trilogy in one nice HD package.

Danjin44

Waiting for the PC release. Seriously though, would be nice to get the whole trilogy in one nice HD package.
I will never say never but you gonna be waiting for long time for this and you can blame Sony and Microsoft for seeing Bayonetta not worth investment but Nintendo did.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
tumblr_mpq4rrnMcV1qjkec8o1_250.gif

Lol, fuck Polygon. This is what happens when you try to hang your hat on a character's sexual identity. Bayo was never yours.
I didn't read Maddie's thing because it seemed to be dancing around spoilers, but I will say Bayo was never anyone's. One of the things I liked about the character was that she was unattainable, and while men were interested in her, she had no time for anyone. I do hope they stuck to that, just because it was one of the things that made her a cool power fantasy. Not because I ever thought she was gay, but just because none of these buster-ass guys were worth her time.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Imagine thinking that two women can be friends and concerned about one another and NOT be sexual, they have to be GAY for each other.
This is becoming such a go-to conclusion when two people that are the same sex have any sort of close relationship. I used to laugh and think shipping videos I saw of Kirk and Spock were hilarious because of how silly it was, but lately as I've gotten older, I've come to realize...oh wait, this was meant to be serious about wanting that to be a thing for these characters.

I'm glad if there's any indication in Bayonetta 3 that yes, she's into men, then good. Slap these idiots down for just assuming the wrong thing about a character. Bayonetta being hetero actually makes her even stronger as a character in my opinion. To say that she's lesbian would actually have been a disservice to her, because then she'd just be another butch woman, who isn't really embracing femininity, but instead would be one of many "I hate men, and I don't need them" characters. By being hetero, she's kinda breaking aware from stereotypes, and isn't a damsel in distress, but rather a strong, feminine woman, who can still kick all of our asses, and look good while doing it. Lesbians who would be upset by this, come across as petty. It's like they're upset they lost their chance.

Soltype

Bayo and Luka start dating, and eventually have a daughter (Viola apparently). Story ruined forever. Patriarchy won. Don't play the game. Compromised vision. Heroine has been let down. Etc. etc.

so gay women mistook her playing hard to get for her being disinterested in men

On a separate note , my collector's edition was delayed a week, I'm a hot little potato right now.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
so gay women mistook her playing hard to get for her being disinterested in men

On a separate note , my collector's edition was delayed a week, I'm a hot little potato right now.
Gotta love it when Amazon sends you that estimated delivery date of November 3rd. I just got the email. 🙄

Hot5pur

Bayonetta 1 was legendary. Bayo 2 I thought was good but more forgettable.
This one looks...a little bit much. I don't know if I'm a fan of the whole summoning thing, makes combat feel less technical. I kinda like my character action games to be similar to a fighting game, where you have a moveset and you optimize combos for different situations.
Might sit this one out at launch and pick it up on sale later. Also the visuals are painful and the switch is beyond showing its age.

Edit: just watched a few more reviews, seems the demon slave system dominates a lot in this game. fans say it's probably the weakest game in the series. I think I'll pass outright.

Last edited:

alf717

Gotta love it when Amazon sends you that estimated delivery date of November 3rd. I just got the email. 🙄
Someone at Amazon believes her....
/s

I got the same thing. November 10-11 for me. Looking forward to my limited amazon exclusive, poorly packaged and smashed edition of the game. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
My impressions are this will be the best Bayonetta and that the complaints come from social justice warriors and feminists.

Top Bottom