• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonneta 3 | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
fas-acusam-dubladora-de-bayonetta-de-mentir.jpg

Game Information
Game Title: Bayonetta 3

Platforms:

• Nintendo Switch (Oct 28, 2022)
Trailer:

Developer: PlatinumGames

Publisher: Nintendo

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 89 average - 93% recommended - 21 reviews

JVtEEYT.jpg

MetaCritic - 88 average - 34 reviews

gVTGsRq.jpg

Critic Reviews

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 10 / 10
When playing Bayonetta 3, much to my delight, I had no clue what was going to happen next at all times. I was absorbed, and between the crazy story, the environments, and the action system that’s been refined through two prior games (and years of experience), I had very little downtime. It’s pretty much everything an action fan could want.

Game Informer - Blake Hester - 8.3 / 10
Bayonetta 3, for the vast majority of its runtime, is an absolute blast. It's bombastic, over-the-top, and extravagant for the sake of extravagance, leaving ruins, literally, in its wake.

GameSpot - Jessica Howard - 9 / 10
Bayonetta 3 is a show-stopping spectacle that feels familiar in all the right ways while also adding mechanics that are sure to delight old and new fans alike.

GameXplain - Joey Ferris - Liked-a-lot
Video Review - Quote not available

Gameblog - French - 9 / 10
It's impossible not to fall under spell of Bayonetta 3. More extravagant, frenetic, rich, varied and with even more monstrous and epic bosses, the game is the franchise at its best. However technical weaknesses, the few underwhelming environments and the readability issues can't counter the avalanche of the superlatives. A dance mastered without almost any misstep and a must-have on Switch.

Inverse - Jess Reyes - 8 / 10
Bayonetta 3 delivers on its promise of a magical action RPG with sophisticated combat. Even with frustrating mini-games and objectives, it’s one of the best action games of 2022 thanks to its style and depth — whether or not you’re familiar with this absolutely bonkers universe.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 10 / 10
Bayonetta 3 cranks up the chaos, improves the combat, polishes the level design, and adds a ton of new mechanics to the mix, making for the very best entry in this storied series to date. PlatinumGames has absolutely nailed it this time around, carefully layering on more ways to engage enemies, piling on the OTT gameplay sequences, and giving us multiple protagonists without upsetting the balance of what makes these games amongst the very best examples of their genre. With excellent performance in docked and handheld modes, incredible visuals, non-stop action, and a hugely replayable campaign that's a joy from start to finish, this really is a huge celebration of everything we love about Bayonetta, an action all-timer and one of the biggest highlights of 2022, on Switch or any platform.

Shacknews - Morgan Shaver - 9 / 10
Quote not yet available

Stevivor - Matt Gosper - 9 / 10
At the end of my time with Bayonetta 3, I find myself surprised at how much fun I had, and excited to go back and experience the first two titles of the series as well.

The Independent - Jasper Pickering - 4.5 / 5
Bayonetta 3 is an outrageous and fitting return to form for the umbra witch and her posse of occultish heavy hitters. Substantial improvements and additions to combat mean there are seemingly endless options for different styles of play, as well as making the prospect of revisiting each stage, verse and hidden objective more compelling than it ever has been, with the crowning jewel being Viola’s introduction into the franchise.

Twinfinite - Zhiqing Wan - 4 / 5
Bayonetta 3 is an ode to the longtime fans who’ve stuck with the game since 2009. While it’s certainly not without its obvious flaws and missteps, I can’t imagine that fans would be very disappointed with how this third, explosive entry has turned out.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.9 / 10
In defiance of a time when many game series are opting to mature, Bayonetta 3 raises a giant middle finger and that's awesome. Believe it or not, it's even more over-the-top than you'd expect so strap on some high heels and get ready for some action.

Last edited:
Wow! Great scores all around...I, for some reason, completely disregarded it, thinking foolishly it would not be up to par. Well, glad I was wrong...

Reactions: Isa

splattered

Woo surprised! I was worried it wouldn't be as good, took so long to come out and felt like wasn't shown off very much. Yay

Topher

Gold Member
This is not going to be a popular take here, but if Platinum had to be bought by someone, I would rather it be Nintendo. It's where they seem to be doing some of their best work, and I am not convinced that they have the resources to fully take advantage of state of the art hardware.

I actually agree with you here. They seem to do their best work (the last few years at least) for Nintendo than elsewhere.

Astral Dog

lmao, reading the review quotes its exactly the same as Xenoblade 3, Switch=bad!

Looks like the game delivers, of course Platinum told us last year they were working on a game worthy of her, take a couple points for being Switch exclusive, take another for the slighty "problematic" leading lady, next gen they better raise that score 😋

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Topher

Gold Member
Astral Chain was great. I’d love Platinum to perhaps take another shot at Star Fox or remake Zero to improve on it.

Just got a Switch and Astral Chain was the first game I bought. I'm enjoying it. Platinum would probably do wonders with some Nintendo franchises if they were able to focus on them and not have to take so many jobs just to keep the lights on.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Nice. Still haven't played 2 so this is going on the backlog with it.

Chastten

Banned
Can't wait till friday!

And yeah, I do agree I would love if Nintendo were to buy them. They do great work given enough budget and they'd be great to expand Nintendo's portfolio with some over-the-top action games. Much like Monolith is for their RPG's.

ssringo

Viola thankfully doesn’t fall into the trap of becoming an obnoxious “attitude-era” character. She’s relatable, she likes anime, and a lot of her physical comedy is to the tune of Trigun‘s Vash the Stampede.
physical comedy is to the tune of Trigun‘s Vash the Stampede
If I hadn't already pre-ordered this would've been the tipping point. Trigun was one of my my early anime loves.

vash the stampede GIF

Last edited:

fermcr

Inappropriate Behavior
Bayonneta 3 might be a good game, but don't put much faith in these reviews. Nintendo and Sony exclusives tend to be overscored and overhyped by reviewers.

Can't say the same about Microsoft exclusives... because, they don't have exclusives. Microsoft 1st party must sleeping on the job. Don't think they had a single exclusive in 2022.

Bayonneta 3 might be a good game, but don't put much faith in these reviews. Nintendo and Sony exclusives tend to be overscored and overhyped by reviewers.

Can't say the same about Microsoft exclusives... because, they don't have exclusives. Microsoft 1st party must sleeping on the job. Don't think they had a single exclusive in 2022.

Ask Phil “Sun shines from his arse” Spencer

Top Bottom