• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BBC] Twitch: Concerns over streamers' mental health

jason10mm

Gold Member
I can see why the ladies have a hard go of it, they have such a brief window of time when the freshness, physical appeal, delay of family, and endless new competition allow them to be viable.

The dudes just gotta put in the work and have some talent, either legit gameplay skills or being funny/creative.

Buggy Loop

What about my mental state when I see a girl that used to do triple anal, ends up being better than me at Sekiro?

Sasha Grey beating Sekiro

The Office What GIF

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So is the lesson that sitting around playing video games doesn't prepare you for a real job?
Yes, same as social media relationships are not real relationships and should be ignored. Those of use past 35 have the luxury of always knowing this, since we grew up before Facebook. Others are learning fast or crushing.

Kenpachii

Must read imo on the topic

What the quit streamer wrote down in one of the replies:

I dropped out of university when I was 20, however I've been going to language schools almost my entire life so I'm fluent in 4 languages, so it wasn't all a waste of time.

Basically, here's all I got going for me:

-Multiple languages (this is actually useless as fuck except for translation gigs)

-Editing skills (editor)

-Pretty outgoing personality (sales)

-Good physical shape (manual laborer/fitness shit)

-Creative thinker for making/writing content or comedy (writer/marketer)

I truly thought at least one of those things was going to get me hired some way, some where; because I've seen the type of idiots who sometimes get hired at large U.S. corporations for high salaries and thought "Yea, I can easily compete with that"

Turns out, I can't lmao.

Some sales jobs I can get hired in as far as I know, but many of them are quite scummy and essentially require you to scam old/dumb people to the best of your ability and I truly don't feel like fucking with that yet

All i read here is a guy that's completely clueless on how the real world operates. U see it from the start to the end with him.

paparazzo

The big bad corporation is responsible for my mental health, pls respond. A lifestyle where you're interacting with usernames on a screen all day isn't conducive to healthy social interaction, who knew. It's a 1099 job where you're the boss and you decide how to make it work. Blaming the platform for your personal decisions cuz sitting on your ass playing vidya was easier than studying, and then being surprised to find how unemployable you are after playing an internet circus clown for years.

Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of my own actions.

Last edited:

chonga

All i read here is a guy that's completely clueless on how the real world operates. U see it from the start to the end with him.
'All that I could get was a low paying job but I have to pay for my own transport and food so it is like an even lower paying job'.

Dude literally thinks that his salary is meant to be entirely disposable income and that all essentials should be paid for on top of a salary. He's in cuckoo land just like all the other entitled internet 'creators' who moan about life or money or the platform they're on.

Kenpachii

'All that I could get was a low paying job but I have to pay for my own transport and food so it is like an even lower paying job'.

Dude literally thinks that his salary is meant to be entirely disposable income and that all essentials should be paid for on top of a salary. He's in cuckoo land just like all the other entitled internet 'creators' who moan about life or money or the platform they're on.

Yea he's full of this logic everywhere.

Kerotan

You either get a really good following and make a fortune without streaming 24/7 or your grind your fingers to the bone trying to make a living wage from it.

Anyone that isn’t making enough money from it to live on but wants to try and make that work is kidding themselves. The really popular ones aren’t always on.
True but some people will spend 3000 hours a year gaming so why not try get paid. They're going to be on anyway.

However this just highlights how behind the times laws are in relation to the Internet.

I'd fully agree if a streamer could only stream for say 14 hours in a day.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I'm more concerned about the girls who sell their farts and bathwater. Surely that's going to be damaging to their mental health in the long run.

Last edited:

A.Romero

They should unionize /s

I don't get the appeal of watching streams but I'm glad there is easy to access entertainment for everyone. I think I could have enjoyed it when I was younger and coming across gaming footage was a true rarity (no Internet, outside of the US, etc). That said, I don't get why people don't understand that just as becoming a paid actor, pro musician, pro athlete, etc you need to have skills but also a huge amount of luck. There is so many people that think that they have talent and want a high income and the glamour... I mean, I don't think most people enjoy regular jobs but the system is set up in such a way that you have to do it. There is no way around it. You can chose not to but then you have to be ready to not have access to even basic stuff like health care. Twitch doesn't give a fuck because they would still make money even if every single streamer dropped dead one day because new ones would step forward.

Kids need to understand that. They are disposable for corporations just like all workers. Companies are also disposable for consumers. If Twitch went down tomorrow nobody would have an issue switching to youtube or facebook or whatever clone is out there.

It's not a hard concept to grasp: there are 7 and a half billion people in the planet and we all want to have the best life possible doing the least amount of work. Competition is just a part of life.

nush

Gold Member
Why do I get the impression that the streamer interviewed in the OP was just hamming it up to get more sympathy subs and simp bucks?

Azzurri

I don't hate streamers and I even watch some for back round noise when I'm doing some work or playing a game.

But I do find it hilarious when they compare streaming to an actual demanding job like an account or someone like me who wakes up at 5am start work at 6am comes home past 4pm and has to deal with multiple jobs we have and the stupid BS from the general contractors, or if one of my employees does something stupid and breaks a piece of equipment which happens often. Or me having to haul supplies from one end of the city to the next. There are some days when I'm driving for 4-5 hours, then have to come back tot he office and do paperwork shit.

Listen, if you can make bank from doing go ahead and do it, but please don't compare it to jobs that are actually demanding and cause you to rip out your hair.
They literally wake up whenever they want turn on a stream and either Just Chat or play a game and maybe put some effort into entertaining they viewers.

Last edited:
Why are they bring up the amount of hours streamed? All they had to do was watch people stick microphones up their ass cracks to see the diminishing of ones mental health.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Yo NeoGAF it's your boy Dick Jones coming back once again and today we are talking about how to use game controllers.

As always you can support the channel by subscribing from only $10 a month where you can receive many benefits.

Give me a minute here to grab the lube so I can ram an Ouya controller up my arse because I'm a real gamer.

#sponsoredpost #ouya

Gankthenew

Playing video games for a living is a dream job for millions of people. But having a hobby as a career is often not a good thing.

Top Bottom